Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/15/2013 8:26:07 PM EDT
 A pre ban HK is on my dream list but at almost 3 grand I don't see it happening
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PTR91
View Quote
Owned one......Nice gun but I'd like to find one of the HK clones imported by Century in the 90's(Greek ones etc)

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/gbQuAmiIjYI  A pre ban HK is on my dream list but at almost 3 grand I don't see it happening
View Quote

The first image of the embedded youtube vid you posted actually looks to be an early 5.56mm Hk.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one and quickly realized that compared to many rifles, the ergonomics suck for anybody not a tutonic giant. I was so sad.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/gbQuAmiIjYI  A pre ban HK is on my dream list but at almost 3 grand I don't see it happening
View Quote

Go buy a CETME and tune it up then.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No...................Just no.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Before the first "assault rifle ban" I had a HK91.

I added a PSG1 stock, a PSG1 trigger group, a nice Swarovski scope in a factory scope mount.

It shot consistently a half MOA or better!

I think I had about $6k in the build once all the parts were changed.

I had some major financial issues and sold it about 6 months before the "ban".

I was an exceptional HK91 to shoot sub-MOA.

To this very day and for the remainder of my life I will regret selling that rifle!
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Damn you bubba DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN YOU!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375998974

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Had the opportunity to fire a real G3 back in the day while cross-training with our sister unit, the 152nd Panzergrenadiers.

That is one hard-shooting sumbitch on full auto and a big ol' firearm overall, almost too big to be toting around.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Owned one......Nice gun but I'd like to find one of the HK clones imported by Century in the 90's(Greek ones etc)  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PTR91

I picked this guy up a couple months ago.  Not sure the year it was made,  but it's a well built and very good shooting gun.  Traded a 420 can of M855 and a 22 plinker for it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Take the hit, and be done with it......

PTR is nice, but if real is your thang, get it over with and quit resisting......

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I bought one and quickly realized that compared to many rifles, the ergonomics suck for anybody not a tutonic giant. I was so sad.
View Quote

Sounds like I need to look at one of these.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
IBRA
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
If I could find a FMP clone I'd be set :)
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Still have mine and the fero z-51 NV with it..
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, my very first EBR was one and I felt the exact same way.

ETA:  And yes it was an HK, not a clone.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread is causing a stiffness in my pants.

Only have one small complaint about that rifle: reassembling the bolt after teardown/cleaning can be quite "interesting" if you have never done it before.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a friend who has two of them.

My old PTR-91 shot just as well as they do and had less feed issues.

Save up your coins and buy one when you can afford it or buy the PTR.

Actually I am telling you to buy a FAL.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Only have one small complaint about that rifle: reassembling the bolt after teardown/cleaning can be quite "interesting" if you have never done it before.
View Quote

Old trick is to put the carrier into the receiver backward and smack it with your hand to get the bolt head to pop forward.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Old trick is to put the carrier into the receiver backward and smack it with your hand to get the bolt head to pop forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, I'll give that a try next time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I have girly hands and getting the bolt, key and carrier together has caused me fits at times.

Still, it's a big, honking, robust, mean ass looking rifle and I'll never sell mine.  I don't shoot it as much, as I did when I got it in the early 90s, but it sure is fun to break out and show people.

Time Magazine called it the "Rolls-Royce of assault rifles" back in 80s, in an article on the subject.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Sex appeal is high, but after owning one, you get over it real fast.

Still amazing how accurate such an old design is though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#26]
The .22 conversion has made my PTR-91 that much more entertaining.
Not one bit lighter though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a pre-ban HK93 in the late 1990's, paid around $2500 it at the time. Loved everything about it except the charging handle, sold it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had a pre-ban HK93 in the late 1990's, paid around $2500 it at the time. Loved everything about it except the charging handle, sold it.
View Quote

I thought about grabbing one of the century made ones but then never did. I think I'd need to fire one before committing to it...
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PTR91

They were imported by Springfield, not Century - made by the Greeks on HK licensed tooling.  Look for a Springfield SAR-8, or a SAR-3 with the "8" overstamp.  Stay far away from that horrific piece of shit they made here with the aluminum receiver.  The Greek guns Springfield imported were very good guns for the money.  I have three.  Only problem is that God-awful abortion of a thumbhole stock, and the ridiculous "beer keg" muzzle attachment, that's nothing more than a useless steel turd pinned and welded on the end to cover the threads.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Every collection needs one of these big heavy German guns. My favorite is the V51 Pistol and V51LS (MP5 .308 clone).
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#31]
FAL is designed for humans in terms of ergonomics. G3 is Teutonic sadism.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Would love to have one.   I just dont feel like paying 1000+ for a heavy 308
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Had a G3 go auto next to me and do a mag dump during a serial once, it drew a line pretty much straight up the backstop, despite it meaning that the G3 was cased for the rest of the event, you couldn't help but smile :-)
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Had a nice PTR91 at one time, Even had the rail that Knights made for it. Sold it like a jackass

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm only 6'1 and didn't have any issues with mine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:25:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
FAL is designed for humans in terms of ergonomics. G3 is Teutonic sadism.
View Quote

This

I've owned 3 made in West Germany HK91s and much prefer the FAL.

I still own and shoot FALs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:36:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Gonna gave to get a preban one at some point

Have 20 mags for it and with ct's new bans it is one of the few platforms I have standard capacity mags for but no gun
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The HK is the copy.

It's not hard to find or make a nice running CETME. It's possibly the most unrightfully smeared gun after Glocks. A few Century f-ups doesn't mean they all suck,especially when its so easy to check if its been ground.

And I do own an original HK,with the original para stock that doesnt look quite as cool but isnt nearly as shoulder rapey as the tenderizer.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:23:39 AM EDT
[#40]
English translation please?
Quoted:
Had a G3 go auto next to me and do a mag dump during a serial once, it drew a line pretty much straight up the backstop, despite it meaning that the G3 was cased for the rest of the event, you couldn't help but smile :-)
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:30:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Buddy brought one to our range the other day.  I was all .

collapsible stock german goodness.

then I shot it!

thing was accurate as hell, but hurts on both ends!

and what it does to the brass (that you find 30yds downrange) is unspeakable.

glad I got to shoot it, though.  His dad had picked up two in the 1980s and gave him one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently in the midst of an undefined event the relator of this story was situated aside an individual shooting an H&K G3 .308 semi-automatic rifle.
It appears from the recanting the aforementioned rifle suffered a mechanical malfunction causing it to unleash a torrent of bullets in a vertical manner along the earthen structure designed to impede the path of projectiles.
The teller of this tale apparently was quite amused, despite the said firearm being chastised and disqualified from further participation.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#44]
That experts comment during the picture of the Seal in Vietnam is wrong.

That rifle was a version of the 5.56 HK-93, with Harrington and Richardson marked as the maker, from my understanding.  Whether H&R made it, or just put their name on it, is a discussion that comes up here sometimes.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:49:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6'0" here and no trouble at all in handling the G3/HK91 platform.

I have a lifetime supply of factory mags thanks to CTD selling em under a buck each a few years ago.  I bought a shitload.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#46]
The HK-91 was the rifle from our college days.  We'd take one shooting every time we went to the range.  It was accurate with iron sights and we could smack the gong at 100 yards with a resounding ring.  It was very fun and satisfying.

Now, the hard gun to get is the 5.56 mm HK-43 that was imported by SACO, Maine, before H&K USA was established.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:30:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd lusted after the HK91 for years. I was so happy when I finally got one.

What a crushing disappointment when I fired 300 rounds with it. (This was YEARS ago.) I hated the recoil, hated the disassembly/reassembly and promptly sold it for a $150 loss.

Now I just stick to ARs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had that done.

The result was a nice but hugely overpriced carbine length 7.62 NATO.  Did get a fuck-ton of cheap mags to run with it though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I really like my 91.

Funny thing is that I also had a 93 at one point, but got rid of it because I did not like the way it shot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm only 170cm tall, and it fits me perfectly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top