Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2001 6:35:40 AM EDT
An Los Angeles Times article reported that hundreds of applicants responded to four openings for an entry-level firefighters job in the City of Oxnard. Some applying for the job cited the relatively high pay of around $40,000 a year which can double with overtime. Do firefighters really make a lot of money for hanging around the fire station waiting to respond to a life-threatening blaze? How much do you make?
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Firefighters are, in my opinion, under paid in most areas. Think about it. How much money would it take to get you to run into a burning building?
On the other hand, during my career as a police officer I was shot twice, cut twice and had 77 bones broken and loved every minute of it in spite of relatively low pay.
Firefighting, policing and teaching are three jobs that most do because they love the job.....bot for the bucks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I make $31,000 a year and choose not to work any overtime...a buddy of mine makes about $65,000 salary and working overtime, but he his also a lieutenant.  

BTW...we rarely just sit around and wait for the big one....we run about 10-20 calls a 24 hour shift (depending on the weather) and most of that is car wrecks and medical calls

If you think $40,000 grand is raking in the bucks, I feel sorry for ya...especially considering all the toxins, diseases and democrats you are exposed to!  [)(]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#3]
"On the other hand, during my career as a police officer I was shot twice, cut twice and had 77 bones broken and loved every minute of it in spite of relatively low pay."

Answers to the name "Lucky"??

[B)]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Big bucks, my ass.

I make ~37K a year...

But I'm a Police Officer, Paramedic, AND Firefighter. [BD]

I work 24hrs on - 48hrs off & no Kelly days. The county Fire-Rescue guys & gals start of at ~38K.[:(!]

Hey - I grew up on Adam-12 & Emergency - I couldn't decide, so I do all three for a Pubic -er- Public Safety department.[:D]

I drive around solo in a Suburban with a Mossberg 500 in the rack next to me, and all my firegear & medical gear in back.

Tell me of another job where you can put a car fire out, trauma alert the driver to the hospital, then arrest him for DUI! [8D]

P3[pyro][^]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Firefighters in So Cal make big bucks! Especially when they travel out of state to fight wild fires. The time clock starts when they leave home and runs non stop until they get back. Sometimes they are gone a month. There is 720 hours in a 30 day month. Thats 720 hours of OVERTIME.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#7]
AR15 fan, I don't think you get OT for working your regularly scheduled hours, only non scheduled.
I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic and I live in CA and I'm embarrassed to say how much I make.
But the cost of living in the S.F. bay area is EXTREMELY high.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I read an article in my local suburban newspaper last week, that a neighboring community started cops at 55k.
Firefighters are probably a little less.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#9]
My base pay is about $28,000 for a Driver/Engineer . That isn't enough for my family to survive on and we barely do survive with my wife working also.

You also have to look at the cost of living for different area's. Those Cali firefighters that start at $40,000 have alot higher cost of living than I do here in central Florida.

I paid about $65,000 for my house where as they may have to pay upwards of $125,000 for a house in a neighborhood decent enough to raise their kids in.

I agree that cops, firefighters and teachers are the most underpaid professions there is.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
These guys and police deserve all they can get. They have one of the most dangerous jobs you can have.  I go to work and there really isn't too much of a chance of me getting shot or a burning building falling on me.  Imagine what the families go through when their dad doesn't come home one day.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey ParaPyroPig, do you live in Greenacres?
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Blue Falcon:
Hey ParaPyroPig, do you live in Greenacres?
View Quote

Ugh! - I worked briefly at Greenacres (sound of spitting)[:X*]. They have firecops, and, the last I heard, do not have tri-certs.

I work for the village of North Palm Beach.

P3[pyro][^]

P.S.: Hey, BF, where u b? You in the "Business"?
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
My Bro-in-law makes good money as a paramedic/fireman in Glendale, but the perks have me jealous. He gets about four days off a week and he has to inspect all the strip joints monthly for fire violations, including dressing rooms.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My Bro-in-law makes good money as a paramedic/fireman in Glendale, but the perks have me jealous. He gets about four days off a week and he has to inspect all the strip joints monthly for fire violations, including dressing rooms.
View Quote

Hmmmmmmm......What else does he inspect?

Pass the clam sauce.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
The gut across the street from me is a firefighter/paramedic and I think he rakes it in.  Starting base pay is probably around $30k here, but the OT=$$$.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, $30-40K per year is "raking it in"? Guess I have a lot more to be grateful than I previously thought.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Atomic Punk,

I just recently retired as a Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic from my department after 21+ years of service.  In my area, firefighters make a decent living but no, you won't get rich from the profession.  Overtime is the ticket (time and a half), and usually available, which does wonders for the pay check.  The reason many of us get paid a decent wage is the fact we work so many hours, vs. the 40 hour per week employee.  I worked an average of 56 hours per week.  Also, the fire service schedule allows the opportunity to hold down a second job, if so desired.  If you compare the average firefighter's hourly rate compared to other vocations, it is relatively low.  As a matter of fact, some of our administrative assistants (office staff) made more money per hour than I did, even after 20 years in the biz.  

Bud    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top