Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2013 6:17:13 PM EDT
Does anyone still use buckshot for deer or big game hunting anymore?

Seems like this is an archaic way of hunting with the innovations in optics and hunting round ballistics, not to mention the excess damage to the meat and hide.

With the improvements in sabot rounds for muzzleloaders and the fancy space age bows on the market, these seem to be better methods for a deer harvest.

I got nothing against it... just wondering if anybody still does it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
some places it is a requirement due to many variables. most places it is illegal for deer, but legal for everything else. full choke, rocking some shot at night is awesome on coyotes and foxes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
On Camp Lejeune, organized dog hunts require the use of buckshot.  All other gun hunting on base is shotgun slug.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Archaic?  Did you actually just say a  bow was superior to a long gun?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
00 is expensive here - 5 shells for $5.99 for Military grade
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does anyone still use buckshot for deer or big game hunting anymore?
View Quote

Ive tried buckshot for whitetail deer several times and was never satisfied with the results and went back to slugs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup...aim for the head if its a doe.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup...aim for the head if its a doe.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup...aim for the head if its a doe bear.
View Quote

FIFY, it's how I took my black bear three years ago
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]
When hunting deer with dogs buckshot is really the only option
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
When we run dogs I won't hesitate to break out the blunderbuss.

Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
check your regs, might be illegal

I prefer slugs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
In my honme county all deer is either primitive weapons or buckshot.  No slugs.  No rifles for anything except groundhogs.  Reason being we have a bunch of idiot dog hunters who will shoot at any running deer, and if those guys had rifles we'd all be dead.

We tried last year to get the county to approve rifles for still hunting from stands, but it didn't pass.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Illegal in NY, but I took an 8-pointer in New Brunswick with 00.... DRT at about 40-50 yards.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In my honme county all deer is either primitive weapons or buckshot.  No slugs.  No rifles for anything except groundhogs.
View Quote

That's true for a number of counties in central VA. Dog hunting of deer and buckshot seem to go hand in hand for some reason.
Personally I just use a muzzleloader, or more usually, I avoid hunting in the buckshot counties entirely. Buckshot performs poorly at ranges that even my flintlock is quite capable of handling.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
on a hog hunt this year, brother shot a large sow at about 10 yards with 3 1/2 inch magnum 00 buck out of a full choke. Shot her 3 times and she finally went down about 100 yards away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top