Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 68
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finished the book yesterday. VERY good read. Couldn't tell you the last time I read a book cover-to-cover, let alone in one weekend.

Then started "The Quiet Professional" about Dick Meadows. Looks to be another great read.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Earlier in this thread, the book "Hunting The Jackal" was recommended. I picked up a used copy on Amazon for about $3, with free 2-day PRIME shipping.

Last night I sat down to read a few pages, and ended up reading over half the book. That says something, as I am not a book reader. Very rarely do I sit and read, but that book is AMAZING!

I highly recommend it. Very well done and takes you right into the action. I love the way it is written from the highs to the lows.

Thanks to those who suggested it.
I'm 1/3 through it. Great book  

Billy is a fucking legend.

Finished the book yesterday. VERY good read. Couldn't tell you the last time I read a book cover-to-cover, let alone in one weekend.

Then started "The Quiet Professional" about Dick Meadows. Looks to be another great read.

Very eager to pick up Dick's book.

Shit, if you like all that old SOG stuff, you should pick up my book.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Two of mine were. That was my brother's old team he deployed with and I met them last summer. This has been an extremely shitty week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well the only consolation is my buddies weren't on the bird.

For the Eleven: Rest easy, gentlemen; we will not forget.

1/244 AHB, LA ARNG
CW3 David Strother
SGT Tomas C. Florich

http://www.marsoc.marines.mil/portals/31/Images/2nd-MSOB-logo.jpg

2nd MSOB, USMC
SGT Marcus Bawol
SGT Trevor P. Blaylock
SSGT Liam Flynn
SGT Kerry M. Keeps
MSGT Thomas Saunders
SSGT Andrew Seif (Silver Star recipient)
CPT Standford H. Shaw, III

I'm told all Raiders saw extensive combat in the 'Stan.

Two of mine were. That was my brother's old team he deployed with and I met them last summer. This has been an extremely shitty week.

I'm sorry for your loss, TG.  RIP to the Fallen.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The founder of TigerSwan, James Reese, with Dalton Fury and then-CO of Delta, COL Murdock (Photo by Dalton Fury)

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]

A U.S. Army Special Forces soldier, left, engages targets alongside a U.S. Marine with Special-Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force Crisis Response-Africa during a joint training exercise in Baumholder, Germany, March 9, 2015. The Marines worked side by side with the Special Forces soldiers to ensure the two groups are ready to support each other during potential future operations. (U.S. Marine Corps photo illustration by Sgt. Paul Peterson)

A U.S. Army Special Forces soldier engages targets during a joint training exercise with U.S. Marines from Special-Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force Crisis Response-Africa in Baumholder, Germany, March 9, 2015. The two groups spent more than a week honing their ability to operate together for future operations. (U.S. Marine Corps photo illustration by Sgt. Paul Peterson)

A U.S. Army Special Forces team assaults a building during a close quarters battle demonstration for U.S. Marines with Special-Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force Crisis Response-Africa in Baumholder, Germany, March 9, 2015. The ability to rapidly secure buildings allows Special Forces teams to complete a variety of missions ranging from hostage rescue to the suppression of enemy forces in an urban environment. (U.S. Marine Corps photo illustration by Sgt. Paul Peterson)
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome pic with SecDef.  You in that pic, SandMan?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

A bunch of the dudes that were in dalton furys book.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. This was posted on Dalton Fury's FB page.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

WyattEarp wagered those lads were Brits for some reason regardless of those funny green hats with 3rd Group flashes and SF crests they're wearing. Obvious Americans are obvious, though perhaps he was only joshing; my sarcasm meter might be busted.

Anyways, photo thread and all that!

One-Zero Lynne Black with his team, RT Idaho, stranded and socked-in up in the DMZ, 1968.

Pre-insertion up at Qang Tri, RVN.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/4.jpg

Trying to stay high-and-dry, both literally and figuratively. LOTS of NVA moving around them at this point, taking advantage of the bad weather and low visibility.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/6.jpg

Pretty sure they were seeing NVA moving through the adjacent gullies at this point; they didn't know Idaho was in the AO so they had no real reason to be looking up the hillsides since the weather was so bad.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/5.jpg

Lynne Black, post-extraction. I don't recall how long he said they were socked-in for but I think it was about a week.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/3.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the faces?

WyattEarp wagered those lads were Brits for some reason regardless of those funny green hats with 3rd Group flashes and SF crests they're wearing. Obvious Americans are obvious, though perhaps he was only joshing; my sarcasm meter might be busted.

Anyways, photo thread and all that!

One-Zero Lynne Black with his team, RT Idaho, stranded and socked-in up in the DMZ, 1968.

Pre-insertion up at Qang Tri, RVN.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/4.jpg

Trying to stay high-and-dry, both literally and figuratively. LOTS of NVA moving around them at this point, taking advantage of the bad weather and low visibility.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/6.jpg

Pretty sure they were seeing NVA moving through the adjacent gullies at this point; they didn't know Idaho was in the AO so they had no real reason to be looking up the hillsides since the weather was so bad.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/5.jpg

Lynne Black, post-extraction. I don't recall how long he said they were socked-in for but I think it was about a week.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/3.jpg

Just wanted to add... albeit really late... that Lynne Black's story is incredible. Good pics!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry for being off-topic, but there is a memorial service for the 11 killed in the Blackhawk crash on March 10/11.  
If anyone will be in the area, it will be at the Navarre Beach Pier on Friday, March 20th at 1800hrs.  Hurlburt's Honor Guard will also perform a flag retirement ceremony.  I don't know anymore about it, we just received flyers for it this evening.  I'll try to post a pic of the flyer.

Again sorry for the slight off-topic post.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Damn. VA negligence?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked on Ryan:http://www.pritzkermilitary.org/files/cache/9cf3c2a66f8fec8e9ecaf98b29e03e0c_f5247.jpg

Sharkbase was just next door. He walks (with help) into our station and he's ready to go back out there and I'm all HOLY SHIT!

Good guy. Ended up blind, but was able to get married, get his degree, be a father, and climbed Mt. Rainier. He said that if he was going to be a blind man, he'd be the best damend blind guy he could be.

RIP, bud.

What's this warrior's story?

SEAL Ryan Job. Wounded in the face in Iraq during a firefight; he survived the wounds & then only to die at home due to surgery complications.

Damn. VA negligence?

Nope. Malpractice in a civilian hospital. It was the largest MP payout in Arizona history.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Gen. Norman H. Schwarzkopf, commander-in-chief, U.S. Central Command, emerges from a camouflaged trench in the desert while visiting with troops from other countries during Operation Desert Shield.

Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, commander-in-chief, U.S. Central Command, talks with Maj. Gen. Barry McCaffrey, commanding general, 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized), while at the tent city of the XVIII Airborne Corps. Schwarzkopf is visiting Allied units that took part in Operation Desert Storm.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#21]

What in the hell is the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine doing in the background?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was just gonna ask that same thing.  Zoinks!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL!  Good eye!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Photo by Nick Saglimbeni
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a stack of books next to the bed thanks to this thread.  About 1/3 of the way through Jackal right now.  Someone early on in this thread said "I'm glad Billy is on our side."  Man, that guys is a maniac!  Love that guy!  Nerves of steel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks, bro. It is what it is. The mission continues on for his brothers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/244 AHB, LA ARNG
CW3 David Strother
SGT Tomas C. Florich

2nd MSOB, USMC
SGT Marcus Bawol
SGT Trevor P. Blaylock
SSGT Liam Flynn
SGT Kerry M. Keeps
MSGT Thomas Saunders

Sorry TG.

Small Corps, some guys I was in the Yankee White program with had MSgt Saunders as a Platton Sgt in 2/1, after he'd been a FAST Marine but before he went MARSOC. It really sucks when you hear we've lost a guy you've never met, but you see how much he's impacted some guys that are close to you. From what they passed on, he was awesome about helping guys who were coming out of the "03-pogue" duties like YW get up to speed in the fleet. I can't help but feel that Marines like him, and the rest that were on that bird are why so many of my colleagues are still around.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Small Corps, some guys I was in the Yankee White program with had MSgt Saunders as a Platton Sgt in 2/1, after he'd been a FAST Marine but before he went MARSOC. It really sucks when you hear we've lost a guy you've never met, but you see how much he's impacted some guys that are close to you. From what they passed on, he was awesome about helping guys who were coming out of the "03-pogue" duties like YW get up to speed in the fleet. I can't help but feel that Marines like him, and the rest that were on that bird are why so many of my colleagues are still around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1/244 AHB, LA ARNG

CW3 David Strother

SGT Tomas C. Florich

2nd MSOB, USMC

SGT Marcus Bawol

SGT Trevor P. Blaylock

SSGT Liam Flynn

SGT Kerry M. Keeps

MSGT Thomas Saunders

Sorry TG.

That's a compliment in the highest order.  Find solace in knowing his legacy will be carried on by those he impacted.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's a compliment in the highest order.  Find solace in knowing his legacy will be carried on by those he impacted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger that. Good posts, gents. We're a lesser community without them, but better for having had them in the first place.

'Til Valhalla.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's scary, yet comforting, to know how small the Corps really is. i didn't know Saunders, but my brother has been hit with his loss. I've heard great things about him and that "Many a Taliban will sit around burning piles of crap for years telling horror stories about that man!" Can't think of a better way for a warrior to be remembered.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DF is "RedFly".
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Roger that. Good posts, gents. We're a lesser community without them, but better for having had them in the first place.

'Til Valhalla.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Til Valhalla.

Which "community" are you referring to, RT?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#33]

I know the military times article refers to them as "TF Violent".  It was actually TF Violence
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'Til Valhalla.

America, the collective community I suppose.

ETA: Though I'd wager the Raider community would be more specific but I can't claim membership to that community, hence the "we". So I'll just say America.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#35]
A good guy sent me a pic of Ryan Job at Mike Monsoor's funeral.  You can see the large entry wound on his right cheek.  He's a testament to bad-assdom for having been able to come back from such a wound.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#36]

U.S. and Romanian Special Forces train Afghan police. (Photo by David Axe)
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#37]

A U.S. Special Forces member climbs a hook ladder to board the U.S. Army vessel “Corinth” in the Arabian Gulf wearing full assault gear during a visit, board, search and seizure training event March 17, 2015, during Exercise Eagle Resolve. Ladder climbing can be a difficult task to complete while carrying weapons and wearing flak jackets and helmets. Considering the height and composition of the free-hanging ladder, the obstacle takes strength, balance and strategy to overcome. Exercise Eagle Resolve 2015 affords 29 partner nations the opportunity to train together to address the regional challenges associated with asymmetric/unconventional warfare in a multi-national environment. This is the Government of Kuwait’s first time hosting Eagle Resolve, which is the premiere Arabian Peninsula/Gulf Region exercise between the United States, Gulf Cooperation Council nations, and other international partners. (U.S. Air Force photo by 1st Lt. Hope R. Cronin)

An international team of U.S. and Gulf Cooperation Council military and civil law enforcement personnel search the U.S. Army vessel “Corinth” during a visit, board, search and seizure training event in the Arabian Gulf during Exercise Eagle Resolve March 17, 2015.  (U.S. Air Force photos by 1st Lt. Hope R. Cronin)
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#38]

A U.S. Army soldier, assigned to Delta Company, 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, engages a target with a Javelin at the National Training Center (NTC), Fort Irwin, Calif, Feb. 23, 2015. NTC is a major training area for the U.S. military to fully exercise their Mission Essential Task List that supports the Army’s core competencies. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Nelson Rodriguez)

U.S. Army soldiers, assigned to Delta Company, 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, assault a town during a live-fire exercise at Fort Irwin, Calif., Feb. 24, 2015. The Rangers specialize in raids and assault missions deep inside enemy territory. (U.S. Army photo by Pfc. William Lockwood)

U.S. Army soldiers, assigned to Delta Company, 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, set up security with gas masks donned at the National Training Center (NTC), Fort Irwin, Calif., Feb. 23, 2015. NTC is a major training area for the U.S. military to fully exercise their Mission Essential Task List that supports the Army’s core competencies. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Nelson Rodriguez)

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Capt. Derek Herrera

U.S. Marine Capt. Derek Herrera, 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion, is awarded the Bronze Star and the Navy Commendation Medal aboard MCB Camp Pendleton, CA, on November 21, 2014. Capt. Derek Herrera was paralyzed on June 14, 2012, while conducting combat operations in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. As part of his recovery, Capt. Herrera was able to walk again with the help of an exoskeleton. (U.S. Marine Corps Photo by Sgt. Scott A. Achtemeier)
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#40]
In this thread I see tons of Eotechs and Specters, and to a much lesser extent, some Short-Dots and ACOGs.

The heavy use of the EOs and Spectres - is this primarily because that is what SOCOM hands them or is it by choice?  (Or somehow both, I suppose?)
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

In this thread I see tons of Eotechs and Specters, and to a much lesser extent, some Short-Dots and ACOGs.

The heavy use of the EOs and Spectres - is this primarily because that is what SOCOM hands them or is it by choice?  (Or somehow both, I suppose?)
View Quote

SOF outfits make heaps of unit-level purchases, particularly CAG and DEVGRU. I imagine if they want something, they just go and buy it, regardless if it's issued or not. Then again I'm no expert so if I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

SOF outfits make heaps of unit-level purchases, particularly CAG and DEVGRU. I imagine if they want something, they just go and buy it, regardless if it's issued or not. Then again I'm no expert so if I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SOCOM  units get what they are issued, primarily. The JSOC guys have more discretion on what they are issued or carry. Weapons/pistols typically stay the same but accessories and mods (triggers, sights to their preference etc) vary depending on the operator.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are in heavy use because they are standard SOCOM. No other reason. They are not unit level purchases.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

They are in heavy use because they are standard SOCOM. No other reason. They are not unit level purchases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you mean standard SOPMOD?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Soldiers of 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) practice advanced markmanship on January 30, 2015 at Fort Bragg, N.C. The training included U.S. Air Force Joint Terminal Attack Controllers from the Air Force Special Operations Command in order to increase interoperability between JTACs and Special Forces.

Soldiers from 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) provide security for their team during a building clearing exercise on Fort Bragg, N.C., October 2014. (US Army photo by Spc. David Welker)

A soldier from 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) takes down a target in a small arms competition during MULE Packing Training near Camp Mackall, NC. (U.S. Army Photo by Sgt Edward F French IV)

The muzzle blast kicks up dust as a sniper takes a shot during a sniper competition on Fort Bragg, N.C., March 23, 2015 as part of a weeklong competition. Teams go through different stages and scenarios engaging multiple targets within time limits.

A two man sniper team takes aim while engaging multiple targets during a sniper competition on Fort Bragg, N.C., March 23, 2015 as part of a weeklong competition. Teams go through different stages and scenarios engaging multiple targets within time limits.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_7.jpg
http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_8.jpg
http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_11.jpg
Soldiers of 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) practice advanced markmanship on January 30, 2015 at Fort Bragg, N.C. The training included U.S. Air Force Joint Terminal Attack Controllers from the Air Force Special Operations Command in order to increase interoperability between JTACs and Special Forces.

http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_13.jpg
Soldiers from 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) provide security for their team during a building clearing exercise on Fort Bragg, N.C., October 2014. (US Army photo by Spc. David Welker)

http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_24.jpg
A soldier from 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) takes down a target in a small arms competition during MULE Packing Training near Camp Mackall, NC. (U.S. Army Photo by Sgt Edward F French IV)

http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_22.jpg
The muzzle blast kicks up dust as a sniper takes a shot during a sniper competition on Fort Bragg, N.C., March 23, 2015 as part of a weeklong competition. Teams go through different stages and scenarios engaging multiple targets within time limits.

http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_23.jpg
A two man sniper team takes aim while engaging multiple targets during a sniper competition on Fort Bragg, N.C., March 23, 2015 as part of a weeklong competition. Teams go through different stages and scenarios engaging multiple targets within time limits.

http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_20.jpg
http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SF_0325_21.jpg
View Quote

Some OBR love there
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#50]

I know precisely where that is.
Page / 68
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top