Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2013 8:56:29 AM EDT
I am told that it is important that I love my country. Why is it important that I love my country?

What constitutes "my country?"

Is it the landmass?

Is it the people who live within it's borders?

Is it the way of life?

Is it our form of government?

Is it our government itself?

Is it all of these or is it something else?

Can patriotism change over time? If things about the country change, then is it not logical that people's feelings of patriotism will change?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a fan of Michael Savage, but I do think he sums up what defines a nation very well...

"Borders. Language. Culture"

Love it or lose it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#2]
It's for our FREEDOMS, the liberals seems to be willing to throw away
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I think patriotism to a country is dangerous. Patriotism to an ideal is what is important.

Say America becomes completely communist. Should you be patriotic to the new America? Or remain patriotic to the ideals of liberty?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

We don't have any. They are gone. If you have to beg some government shit bag for permission to do something, then you are not free. There is very little in this country that is not now regulated, and all things of substance are regulated. You are not free. America is not a free country.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We don't have any. They are gone. If you have to beg some government shit bag for permission to do something, then you are not free. There is very little in this country that is not now regulated, and all things of substance are regulated. You are not free. America is not a free country.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always amusing to see the fair weather patriots try to soft pedal their bullshit.  I suppose when the letter next to the guy's name in the white house changes you'll be the ones telling everyone else to shut up and get in line, right?

I love my country, so I'll work to make it a better place.  STILL the best country to be in, bar none.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." --Benjamin Franklin (1776)

you hear that a women in India was gang raped by thuggies..you don't like it,, but it's not your problem

you hear an American woman was raped by a single thuggie in India, you DEMAND ACTION, you demand retribution it's YOUR PROBLEM
she is your Sister in your Ideals, beliefs, common morality AND Dirt..she's an American dammit and we the people, when push comes to shove, ,stick together.

Patriotism is in your heart as well as your head, its who you are, where you stand, its the defense of the common ground and principals
of your country. Call it freedom. Call it liberty. Call it whatever you want, but it’s the bedrock on which this nation was founded and from which we stray at our peril. It’s what has defined us as Americans. It’s what almost everyone who has ever lived on this planet has yearned for, though only a few have ever risen above selfishness, ignorance, or barbarism to attain it. It makes life worth living.

In 1320, in an effort to explain why they had spent the previous thirty years in bloody battle to expel the invading English, Scottish leaders ended their Declaration of Arbroath with this line:
“It is not for honor or glory or wealth that we fight, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.”

Freedom — understanding it, living it, teaching it and giving your last breath for it if that's what it takes, is what patriotism should mean .
CHef
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It's like being on a baseball team.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not patriotic. Screw FSA, fighting foreign wars, and taking my money.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think patriotism to a country is dangerous. Patriotism to an ideal is what is important.

Say America becomes completely communist. Should you be patriotic to the new America? Or remain patriotic to the ideals of liberty?
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#10]
My ancestors were here before America was.  They came from Europe.  My ancestors were explorers, tradesmen, sailors, trappers, soldiers, etc.,  from Europe.  They, with with assistance from native Americans, built America.  My apologies to the native tribes for what was done by my ancestors;  what was done was done.  I cannot change that.  I will not pay any reparations.  My ancestors built America.  They surveyed America.  They served America during the Revolutionary War (no Tories, here, baby).  They fought and died in the Civil War on both sides.  Can you say that?  Any of it?  Those who have ancestors, blood ancestors, can say that.  Today, you don't even need to speak English.  Just show up without a job or ambition.  GET PAID $$$$$.  Those that take the lazy route are NOT patriots.  They are parasites.  That said, I am a Patriot.  I served my country and continue to do so, but I hate what is becoming of the country I love.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#11]
If there were a freer country, with a government well grounded upon classical liberal roots, I not only move to that country in a heartbeat, but I would have zero hesitations to bear arms for that country against the USA if need be. Unfortunately, the USA is the only such country, and as time progresses it gets worse and worse. But there is no alternative. We must either hold the line or let the great experiment go into the foot note of history as a short lived endeavor.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Always amusing to see the fair weather patriots try to soft pedal their bullshit.  I suppose when the letter next to the guy's name in the white house changes you'll be the ones telling everyone else to shut up and get in line, right?

I love my country, so I'll work to make it a better place.  STILL the best country to be in, bar none.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your country died a while ago. America as "the land of the free and the home of the brave" has been sold to the tune of 17 trillion dollars. We are a debtor nation now and that cannot and will not be overcome. We will never have the freedoms our fore fathers enjoyed because we allowed them to be systematically taken away. Welcome to the new America, whatever it is.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't confuse patriotism with jingoism. Big difference.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a patriot in the sense that I will stand up for what I believe is right, not blindly support a nation.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#16]
No one knows latin roots anymore, huh?

Jeez.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Patriotism is the loyalty to the social compact that we have formed with one another to form our Republic, which in our case is codified in the Constitution.  Our Founding Fathers came together as a people to recognize natural rights and stake their fortunes, lives, and sacred honor to defend the rights of all those who wished to be a part of our union. That loyalty to the ideals of freedom and to protect one another from those who seek to take our freedoms away is American Patriotism.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I am told that it is important that I love my country. Why is it important that I love my country?

View Quote

What constitutes "my country?"

Is it the landmass?

Is it the people who live within it's borders?

Is it the way of life?

Is it our form of government?

Is it our government itself?

Is it all of these or is it something else?

Can patriotism change over time? If things about the country change, then is it not logical that people's feelings of patriotism will change?

A lot of those questions describe what is more like Nationalism. Patriotism is an idea that encompasses a much smaller demesne. I recommend some of Wendell Berry's essays on the subject.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure I could really describe myself as patriotic anymore.

I am vocally and vehemently opposed to any limitation of my liberty. I am willing to work and sacrifice to not only secure it for myself, but also for my children and descendants. If that means standing up for the US, then that's what I'l do. If that means packing up my family and worldly possessions and moving to equatorial Africa, that's what I'll do. As Franklin put it, "Where there is Liberty, there is my country."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top