Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2013 7:34:59 AM EDT
I was traveling down to NJ yesterday for work. I left super early in the morning and about halfway through the drive i realized I hadn't checked my car for mags, ammo or firearms. I was relieved to remember that I went to Canada over the weekend and cleaned out before hand, but I still had some heeby jeebies and a bit of doubt.

Fortunately, I didn't have anything.

But i got to thinking - say I did have a firearm in my car and realized it. Immediately I turn around and begin driving home after realizing my mistake.

Since I am now transporting on my way home to a place where it is legal to have that gun, am I covered by FOPA? What is my original destination - my home address where I left from, or the place where I busted a U turn and headed home?

Anyone ever caught in a scenario like this?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure if you get caught in NJ, you're fooked.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
This is why if you get pulled over, you keep your fucking mouth shut.

If you're asked where you're going and say "work, in Trenton", you now have no defense because your destination isn't somewhere you can legally have guns. If you don't disclose where you're going and then later it's uncovered that you've got guns in the car (unbeknownst to you), the prosecution would then have to prove your destination.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
They don't care if you made a mistake.  

You'd be another notch in the belt of a cop and or prosecutors belt.  and you'd be labeled a criminal and or terrorist.

I hated living on Long island and being any where in NJ was the last thing I wanted to do. A couple of beautiful states completely fucked by libtard laws.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I never understood people worrying about traveling with guns. Why would the cop even search your car? Do you guys have like aks in the passenger seat? Don't worry about it. Stick it in the trunk and drive like you have some sense
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is why if you get pulled over, you keep your fucking mouth shut.

If you're asked where you're going and say "work, in Trenton", you now have no defense because your destination isn't somewhere you can legally have guns. If you don't disclose where you're going and then later it's uncovered that you've got guns in the car (unbeknownst to you), the prosecution would then have to prove your destination.
View Quote

Well this is assuming you get caught on the way home after realizing you made a mistake. Your new destination is now home, where they are legal. Your original starting point (home) is also legal.

Does FOPA apply here, then?
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I never understood people worrying about traveling with guns. Why would the cop even search your car? Do you guys have like aks in the passenger seat? Don't worry about it. Stick it in the trunk and drive like you have some sense
View Quote

Some cops area assholes, especially in NJ. You may already be nervous getting pulled over especially if it's your first time in the area. Even more so if you realize your dumbass didn't take your shotgun out of the trunk before you left. That "nervousness" you display is now evidence of nefarious behavior.... which causes them to give you a hard time. They will end up searching your car, warrant or not, and will get one if you play the warrant game.

Also, some situations are out of your control. Some asshole changed into my lane at 70mph with no turn signal and almost swerved me off the road.... if there was a car crash, it would have been identified one way or another that you were carrying it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
If you get stopped, tell the cop you are not going to search my car for a "traffic ticket" if they ask, and do not ever give consent.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#8]
If you get pulled over. Just Shut Your Fucking Mouth and take your ticket and go.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#9]
FOPA is a federal protection. It doesn't help you much if you are breaking state or local laws where you are travelling.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FOPA is a federal protection. It doesn't help you much if you are breaking state or local laws where you are travelling.
View Quote

Incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_Passage.22_provision
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought that was the purpose.(Damn beat by 30 seconds)
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

um, no.  The whole point of the safe passage previsions of FOPA were to protect people against bad local gun laws.

Unfortunately, NJ and NY  both simply choose to ignore it, and they have gotten away with ignoring it for years.

Keep your mouth closed, and don't consent to a search.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you get pulled over. Just Shut Your Fucking Mouth and take your ticket and go.
View Quote

This. It'll save you the headache and save your dog's life.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep - that's what I already do.

Just wondering - I know FOPA covers legit transport, say from your house in NH to your dad's house in GA (clear source and destination). But what about driving to a non-free state and you leave a firearm in the car by accident, then turn around and go home (destination and source both change when you decide to return home).

I know states, ignore FOPA, but my question revolves around what FOPA is intended to cover and if it offers protection in case of mistakes such as the one I described.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I do not believe that is a valid defense.

There is no conceivable way you were driving from home to home and had to drive through NJ to do it.

Now if you're northbound and you say you just came back from PA and were headed home, you may have a valid defense. IMHO you're much better off saying nothing though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just wondering - I know FOPA covers legit transport, say from your house in NH to your dad's house in GA (clear source and destination). But what about driving to a non-free state and you leave a firearm in the car by accident, then turn around and go home (destination and source both change when you decide to return home).

I know states, ignore FOPA, but my question revolves around what FOPA is intended to cover and if it offers protection in case of mistakes such as the one I described.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably not covered, at least not under a strict reading of FOPA.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#17]
FOPA is for while you're in transit. If your start and finish locations are the same then it is not transit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_Passage.22_provision

Well, tell that to the countless number of people who are arrested or charged with illegal gun poosssion while travelling through places like MA, NJ, NY, etc. FOPA didn't help them at all.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You mean theoretically you drove from your home in CT, through NY and then into NJ. Once in NJ you realized you had a pistol in the car and turned around and went back? Would you be protected from FOPA on  the return trip back claiming that the gun is legal in CT and that is where you started and intend to return? I would say no. I think they would see this as a trip to and from NJ. Otherwise FOPA would cover anywhere by claiming you are travelling in a circle  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was traveling down to NJ yesterday for work. I left super early in the morning and about halfway through the drive i realized I hadn't checked my car for mags, ammo or firearms. I was relieved to remember that I went to Canada over the weekend and cleaned out before hand, but I still had some heeby jeebies and a bit of doubt.

Fortunately, I didn't have anything.

But i got to thinking - say I did have a firearm in my car and realized it. Immediately I turn around and begin driving home after realizing my mistake.

Since I am now transporting on my way home to a place where it is legal to have that gun, am I covered by FOPA? What is my original destination - my home address where I left from, or the place where I busted a U turn and headed home?

Anyone ever caught in a scenario like this?
You mean theoretically you drove from your home in CT, through NY and then into NJ. Once in NJ you realized you had a pistol in the car and turned around and went back? Would you be protected from FOPA on  the return trip back claiming that the gun is legal in CT and that is where you started and intend to return? I would say no. I think they would see this as a trip to and from NJ. Otherwise FOPA would cover anywhere by claiming you are travelling in a circle  

The irony is, you could just pick a state like PA and say you were heading to and from there. They'd still probably nail you anyway, because it's in their nature....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top