Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2013 4:34:45 AM EDT
Any Windows XP Pro experts in here?

Have an old machine, stuck with XP Pro, long story, but is what it is.

Is has Service Pack 3 on it.

No matter what I do, I cannot get windows update to work.  It says "Checking for the Latest Updates..." and hangs there indefinitely.  I have tried all sorts of suggestions on the internet, starting and stopping various services, etc.  

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC MS stopped support XP a while ago. That may be your problem.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any Windows XP Pro experts in here?

Have an old machine, stuck with XP Pro, long story, but is what it is.

Is has Service Pack 3 on it.

No matter what I do, I cannot get windows update to work.  It says "Checking for the Latest Updates..." and hangs there indefinitely.  I have tried all sorts of suggestions on the internet, starting and stopping various services, etc.  

Any ideas?

Thanks.

View Quote

tag
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This says that happens next year:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mainstream support
Ended on April 14, 2009

Extended support
Extended Support until April 8, 2014 for Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and Windows XP x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. Extended support for Windows XP Embedded ends on January 12, 2016.

See if you can uninstall windows update then download a new WU program then reinstall. Might work.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got some updates on XP Home the other day.  XP Pro at work received the same updates.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I would start with updating your virus protection and running something like MalwareBytes or Ad Aware in addition to your virus protection.  I would run scans with both virus protection and spyware scanners.  Some spyware/viruses will block Windows Update.

Would also delete Internet Explorer cookies, temporary files, and history.  You may even want to run a disk cleanup to delete old system files....

ETA:  You may want to run ccleaner to clean your registry as well.  Make sure to back up your registry file.

FYI- These are all normal maintenance tools I run on my PC.  It tends to remove some of the glitches.  

REMEMBER: THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO WHEN HAVING ISSUES IS BACK UP YOUR FILES.  I would try to run virus/spyware scans on them first.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Could be malware, but XP support has been buggy awhile now.

I feel the need to point out that you're using a deprecated OS and you should stop, immediately.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:04:54 AM EDT
[#8]
go to this kb
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
run the fixit to reset the WU components.

let me know if that works.

Thanks,
Faron
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:05:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Seen this many times, even on fresh installs.  It has to do with some of the Windows Update DLLs needing to be re-registered.  I'll see if I can find the specifics on Google...

Nevermind; post directly above me should cover it.  There are only a few specific DLLs that need registered, so that article is overkill, but it couldn't hurt.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes when running the MS Updater it wants to install the MS Validation program before checking for updates, make sure to install the validation program. Also make sure you are not blocking ActiveX from running or downloading either within the web browser or within the router/wireless router. Other time if you let the program sit while it's checking for updates eventually it will come back with the updates. Occasionally on one XP machine I had the problem your experiencing. If I left it sit for five or more minutes it would eventually come back with the updates.

If you continue to have problems Google "windows xp stuck Checking for the Latest Updates", others have various suggestions on how to possibly fix the problem.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA: cuz I was wrong.  

At least switch to WIN 7 OP.   It's time for an upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I had this problem last fresh install I did a couple months ago, what I ended up doing to get it to update was to turn on automatic updates and let XP do it it's self.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#13]
check your services

run services.msc at command prompt look for "automatic updates" and see if started and running
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I just got some updates on XP Home the other day.  XP Pro at work received the same updates.
View Quote
Yup.

Also note, some time in the last 8 months MS extended a bunch of those "end support" dates.

Win2k3 server is pushed out to 2015 now, from April of 2014.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

go to this kb

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

run the fixit to reset the WU components.

let me know if that works.

Thanks,

Faron
View Quote

Between this and confirming the WU service is running, you should be fixed.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHY?  Windows XP works.  There's no reason to upgrade until software you want to run just doesn't work.

I mean, yes, I upgraded from Windows XP Pro......To XP Pro 64 bit!
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

WHY?  Windows XP works.  There's no reason to upgrade until software you want to run just doesn't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not true, at all.

There are whole metric fuck loads of very good reasons to get off of deprecated platforms, even if they still "work."
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#18]
One thing I noticed is that BITS is not running, but when I go into services (which doesn't open half the time, by the way), I don't even see a BITS to start...
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I feel the need to point out that you're using a deprecated OS and you should stop, immediately.
View Quote

I couldn't agree more. Windows is deprecated and the OP should switch to a real OS with a Unix, Linux, or BSD kernel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I have an extra Windows 7 disk you could have. I would do this on principle alone.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe this is the answer.  Microsoft stopped releasing updates for XP.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#22]
This is an industrial setting.  It's not my home PC.  I am not the one who decides to shell out the money for 7.  I'm stuck with XP pro.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, auto updated without a hitch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is an industrial setting.  It's not my home PC.  I am not the one who decides to shell out the money for 7.  I'm stuck with XP pro.

View Quote

most likely you have software that runs on XP, but not the windows 6.x platform (which windows 6.x is vista, 7, and 8) which prohibits IT from upgrading the machines. it also means your in-house programmers need to re-program what ever in house software that will be broken in the upgrade.

it's not easy doing upgrades on old computers that run complex mechanical machines.

-IT dept
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#25]
if BITS is missing, then it's likely that there may be other problems.
As others have recommended, updating to a newer OS version has other benefits.
if you want to stick with XP, this guy wrote up a bit on how to restore the BITS service

http://www.philmorgan.net/techie-tools/windows-update-bits-background-intelligent-transfer-service-fix-batch-file-for-windows-xp

additionally, Windows XP IS still supported until next year, i'm not sure where the misinformation about it being unsupported is coming from.

Faron
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One thing I noticed is that BITS is not running, but when I go into services (which doesn't open half the time, by the way), I don't even see a BITS to start...
View Quote

sounds like a virus download malwarbytes rinse and repeat as posted above

also if set via corporate policy you may not be allowed to modify the settings or reinstall XP as its the only way...

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more. Windows is deprecated and the OP should switch to a real OS with a Unix, Linux, or BSD kernel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen, brutha!
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Out of curiousity, why is an end user responsible for updated a PC in an industrial environment? I would NEVER give my users the rights or responsibility to maintain compliance on their boxes. That's what Active Directory/SCCM/SMS are for.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Not true.  Updates are still being released until April of 2014 and I suspect a bit beyond that.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

first world problem. Until it died a couple of months ago I was on NT.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I had to re-register the components manually to get my XP - Pro update to work. The automatic "FIX" posted by MS Support didn't work.

Click on Start and then click Run,
Type in
net stop WuAuServ

Then "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message, click OK.

Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands:
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

After the above steps are finished.
net start WuAuServ

Reboot computer now try the updates

Can't say it will fix your problem, but it worked when mine got hung up 2 wks ago.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually they have not mine just auto updated on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Amen, brutha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen, brutha!

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#34]
I just did a clean install of XP Home Edition on an old laptop last week.
I did a manual update install.
I turned off Automatic Updates, rebooted, then clicked on "Install Updates from the Windows Update Website" on the Automatic Updates Control Panel.
It needs to update from Windows Explorer, not some other browser.
Like you it took forever, I mean hours and hours and it took me several days to get all the updates - but I eventually got them.
Then I turned Automatic Updates back on and everything is working normally, well as normally as XP gets....
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's not called BITS in the list.  The service is actually named Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I turned off Automatic Updates, rebooted, then clicked on "Install Updates from the Windows Update Website" on the Automatic Updates Control Panel.

Like you it took forever, I mean hours and hours and it took me several days to get all the updates - but I eventually got them.

Then I turned Automatic Updates back on and everything is working normally, well as normally as XP gets....
View Quote

Why not download SP3? That would have saved a ton of time.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago, and this was all AFTER updating with SP3. There were over 300+ updates applied, totaling a little over 1.2gb after the SP3 install, and that didn't include the updates that were needed when I installed Office2007. Just the WindowsXP updates took 2 days to download and install them all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I updated my last Windows XP computer last night.  I took forever just to get to the actual update screen.  Automatic updates enabled might work better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Windows Update is fucking slow. When I need to do a fresh install I always make sure I have all the update files downloaded ahead of time, and then run them on the new install and only have to reboot once.

Even easier if you can just integrate the updates into your ISO before installing.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine doesn't even get past the "checking for new updates" screen.  Maybe I should let it sit there overnight?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mine doesn't even get past the "checking for new updates" screen.  Maybe I should let it sit there overnight?
View Quote

Yep, that's what I did.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are about a million updates that need to be installed after SP3!
Especially if you have Framework installed....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top