Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2013 6:20:29 AM EDT
According to this thread; http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1536054_Keep_your_GD_cats_out_of_my_yard_and_garbage____.html
Members who advocated killing feral cats were accused of condoning or supporting Illegal acts.
Now I'll say whoever advocated poisoning was wrong because that would have had to chance to kill someones pet or even a person

Is it illegal in you area to kill of a feral cat? I know in my area(rural Nebraska) a Feral cat may be LEGALLY trapped and then shot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is not it probably should be.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Not this shit again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

According to this thread; http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1536054_Keep_your_GD_cats_out_of_my_yard_and_garbage____.html

Members who advocated killing feral cats were accused of condoning or supporting Illegal acts.

Is it illegal in you area to kill of a feral cat? I know in my area(rural Nebraska) a Feral cat may be LEGALLY trapped and then shot out in the county.
View Quote
Living In the city limits this is my only option.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Cat season is year round in my AO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not this shit again.
View Quote

How do you feel about the hunting of bobcats, mountain lions etc?
What about coyotes?
What about deer?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Dunno.. have to ask the Chinese take out place down the street.

J/k guys, don't get your panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL, it's actually ENCOURAGED here, same as at large dogs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What about coyotes?
What about deer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not this shit again.

What about coyotes?
What about deer?

It's not that. It's the 3 timeouts, 1-2 bans, and a lock that will come from this.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's not that. It's the 3 timeouts, 1-2 bans, and a lock that will come from this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not this shit again.

What about coyotes?
What about deer?

Ah gotcha.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Cats have no soul, but I wouldn't shoot one unless it gave me a good reason to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes.

Animal Control actually told me to do just that.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

... You mean... Other than being a cat?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I doubt its technically legal these days, but doing so would be the right thing to do.  Before I get jumped by animal worshipers, let me just say that feral cats are the absolute worst killers of native species.  Don't take my word for it, look up how destructive they can be.  They are responsible for the extinction of animals in some places.   They're just too good at killing, and anything smaller than them is on the menu.  I don't have a problem with the natural order of things at all, but cats are a man made problem.

Edit- In my area, "animal control" doesn't do cats.  They won't even take one if you hand deliver it.  They just pretend there isn't a problem.  Which is really messed up...I guess if they don't directly annoy people like feral dogs do, they don't feel like they need to address them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a difference between feral cats and just strays.

Anybody defending a feral cat needs their heads examined.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#16]
SSS
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:36:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#18]
It is if you use your dog.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to many people here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#20]
What difference does 'feral' make?

Stray cat =
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#21]
The bird killers we used to have around here and the ferals have went the way of yote snackies.
Some do gooder put up shelters for them and they just bcame yote box lunches.

The ones people let out that were hell on the bird population moved with the jack ass owners.

There is a retty persian someone tossed out. Retarded as a short bus full of bidens, cross eyed and is for the most part loved by all in the complex.
Someone took it to get grommed, he is eating damned well and must be pushing a very solid 20lbs of fluff, death and fun.
Seems he only kills the fuck out of field mice and voles, and love itself some garter snakes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make a good point.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#23]
In Ohio, it is illegal to kill or injure any domestic animal that is the property of another, and it is illegal to needlessly kill a "companion animal." i.e., any animal that is kept by it's owner on the owner's residence, or any cats and dogs regardless of where they are kept.

Bottom line is you can kill feral cats, but you better be sure that it really is feral,* and even then, the petards will flip shit.  

*People that let their pets wander the neighborhood are assholes, and unless those wandering pets are causing injury to people pets or livestock, people that would kill their neighbors' wandering pets are even bigger assholes, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Gotta be honest with you, man, I haven't so much as seen a feral cat in I don't know how long.

It's certainly not anywhere near a big enough problem for me to ponder how to dispose of them.

The only cats I see on a regular basis are my neighbor's and they tend to shy away from me and spend little time in my yard. One does come over, every now and again, for some attention from my daughter. They mostly hang around in his yard/garage.

They do help to keep the rodent population down, though, so I'm happy to see them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#25]
legal to do here.... neighbor runs a cat farm
as in its nothing to see one of her cats run over about every two weeks

to keep good neighbor status I do not kill her cats but it is legal if I need to
generally though its not her cat farm I see causing problems on my "urban farm"  its the tomcats attracted to her cat farm
her cats know my dogs love a good chase and wont give them that happiness

ETA: in regards to animal control if you live in the city limits here is really good about cat issues
they will bring you traps and pick them up... for free
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#26]
My aunt apparently killed many in the early-mid 90's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#27]
If its threating you or your family or property fair game.

In city limits use an air rifle to not disturb the liberals getting high on their supply
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Cats should be shot on sight.

Especially grumpy cat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Do they do any good with rodent control? Serious question.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
unless those wandering pets are causing injury to people pets or livestock, people that would kill their neighbors' wandering pets are even bigger assholes, IMHO.
View Quote

Yes, you shouldn't kill your neighbor's pets, I figured that was obvious. But if something is destroying you property or livestock and it is not someone else's property(a pet) then I can't see an issue with disposing of it in a humane manner. If the animals belong to a neighbor I'd talk to them first about what those pets were doing before I took any action. Were I live we do not have any animal control, so it is up to you to either fix it or work it out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I doubt its technically legal these days, but doing so would be the right thing to do.  Before I get jumped by animal worshipers, let me just say that feral cats are the absolute worst killers of native species.  Don't take my word for it, look up how destructive they can be.  They are responsible for the extinction of animals in some places.   They're just too good at killing, and anything smaller than them is on the menu.  I don't have a problem with the natural order of things at all, but cats are a man made problem.

Edit- In my area, "animal control" doesn't do cats.  They won't even take one if you hand deliver it.  They just pretend there isn't a problem.  Which is really messed up...I guess if they don't directly annoy people like feral dogs do, they don't feel like they need to address them.
View Quote

I'd give real money, if the neighborhood cats would kill the damn groundhog that's tearing my back yard up. Shooting him, even with subsonics, probably isn't such a good idea, due to my proximity to town. That might be my default plan, though, because my air-headed dog doesn't seem up to the task.

As it is, they do help keep the mouse population down, which is appreciated. It makes the job of my indoor rodent control units easier, if more boring also.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#32]
We have a feral cat shoot about once a year.   Got to eliminate all the precious kitties that people bring out to the farm from the city.  You know, giving them a better life in the "country" where they can hunt and gambol about in the sunshine and butterflies.  Fuck that.  Keep your disease ridden vermin away from my property.

As an aside.  I do like cats.  I have several of my own cats.  The inside one ALWAYS stays inside.  

The barn cats (good mousers) we keep about 2-4, depending.  Spay and neuter them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would say at the same level as any small predator. Much like a coyote or bobcat. I do know that UNL released a study were they showed the amount of damage down by feral cats to the bird population was fairly substantial.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cat season is year round in my AO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Only if it attacks your livestock, or you.

Quoted:

Cats have no soul...
View Quote

How do you know that?

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  You can tell a feral cat from a wandering domesticated cat pretty quick.   Ferals can be bad news.  I cage caught a feral kitten years ago, and turned him into a housecat, and he was glad of it.   The older ones, I cage caught, and dropped off at my vet for fix and release, or if they were really shitty looking, to not bother fixing and returning to me.   You could just pop a feral if it was causing trouble, and you didn't have a vet buddy.  Just make it quick, like anything else you kill.

Same policy for dogs.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would say at the same level as any small predator. Much like a coyote or bobcat. I do know that UNL released a study were they showed the amount of damage down by feral cats to the bird population was fairly substantial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have tons of feral cats here and I don't recall seeing any rodents around. We do have shit tons and tons of birds though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

What about property damage?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Under certain circumstances it is.

But then, it's legal to kill any animal on your property under certain circumstances here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Depends.

If the cat is killing your chickens, yes.

Otherwise, you are asking to be arrested for animal cruelty.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AFAIK it's OK only if the property happens to be livestock.  Depredation justifies a lot of things that would otherwise be illegal, including killing endangered animals.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We have tons of feral cats here and I don't recall seeing any rodents around. We do have shit tons and tons of birds though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The UNL study;

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/live/ec1781/build/ec1781.pdf
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We have a feral cat shoot about once a year.   Got to eliminate all the precious kitties that people bring out to the farm from the city.  You know, giving them a better life in the "country" where they can hunt and gambol about in the sunshine and butterflies.  Fuck that.  Keep your disease ridden vermin away from my property.

As an aside.  I do like cats.  I have several of my own cats.  The inside one ALWAYS stays inside.  

The barn cats (good mousers) we keep about 2-4, depending.  Spay and neuter them.
View Quote

I just took in a stray for that reason, as a barn cat. He is about 6 months old and showed up on my doorstep skin and bones. He is actually very friendly and I am going to have him spade. I have seen a couple of others that I am less than thrilled about.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#44]
It's not illegal here, but nobody but me knows when I kill one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everywhere I've had rodent problems, it could be improved or eliminated by a good cat.

My old man had horrible mouse problems and I offered to loan him my mouser to help the situation. He declined, but I'm betting he also forgot that, while I was growing up, we had less mice when we had a good cat or two. He had a hell of a time getting rid of them.

I get probably 3-4 in the house in the fall and they are dispatched before I know they are present by my current cats. That earns their keep as much as their companionship does. I do have to dispose of the corpses, but its a small price to pay to have them gone.

In rural NW Ohio, anyways, once they start harvesting the fields, the displaced rodents start to look at structures for their new homes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#46]
a good deterent is moth balls
had a cat I never saw ruin the bottom of our solid oak front door

he was pissing on my front door because he could smell our inside cat
problem was I never saw the cat...ever

had me so mad I would have used a claymore on his ass
a wise old man told me to try moth balls... instant fix
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Its not, but kill anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Feral cats are a huge problem here.....HUGE.

It doesn't help that we have a bunch of basement dwellers who formed a secret society in this county and goes around and feeds these colonies.  Seriously no shit.

It's estimated that there is possibly a half million feral cats here.

Well if the economy collapses I know what I'll be eating
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

AFAIK it's OK only if the property happens to be livestock. Depredation justifies a lot of things that would otherwise be illegal, including killing endangered animals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFAIK it's OK only if the property happens to be livestock. Depredation justifies a lot of things that would otherwise be illegal, including killing endangered animals.

not sure on that... this past year read tail hawks were in full force
they were destroying peoples chickens and not a thing you can do about it
other than pen the chickens up  

killed them for the sport of it too, never seen anything like it
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#50]
5.56 ballistic tips

what cat
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top