Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2001 7:36:39 AM EDT
In light of me and TREETOP leaving Kali, I was wondering how many other people on this board made the escape and when?

I miss the beaches, and being able to buy liquor at grocery stores. I also miss being able to drink without a Unicard. Or having no smoking at bars. But I can deal with those. Overall, its all good.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Left San Diego 5yrs ago... moved to Maryland to be with the Family... OUCH!

Miss buying liquor in 7-11 but most of all I miss the Carne Asada Burritos from Robertos, Jilbertos, Albertos and all of the "bertos" that seemed to be on every corner.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Moved June of 2000.

It’s amazing how fast things can change after an election where the liberals take every position of power in state government.

I don’t miss it at all. But if I ever do it’s not to far for a short visit, a very short visit.

We are going to be there for three days next month to visit my family and to go to Disney land. I cant bring any of my rifles or any high cap mags and I cant carry. Even my kids tube fed .22’s can’t be brought because they carry more than 10rds.

In a few years when my brother retires he will moving to Arizona also. Hopefully by then his wife will be conservative too. I don’t get it; she’s pro-gun and thinks Clinton is the best President our nation has ever had.

THISISME
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand, theres no liquor in supermarkets, and it's not a dry town.  Where is liquor found, only a liquor store?

I'm still hoping the politics changes for the better here, but may only be dreaming. Just heard a Davis person telling market owners that the energy crisis is not Davis fault and can be fixed immediately by the Feds by regulating energy.  Sounds like blowing smoke up one's @ss, and Ol' Red for another 4 years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Chaingun, only in liquor stores, and in my town, not on Sunday.. Lame.

THISISME... can you overnight me some burritos? :)

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I miss the flat deserts where 500 plus yard shots are possible.
View Quote

Apparently Paul has yet to discover the Washington state on the "other" side of the mountains.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Nuckles, You crack me up. I was laughing so hard my son ran in and asked what was going on.

By the way, one of my brothers makes the best Carne Asada in the world. He barbeques a bunch each time we visit.  Everyone has been trying to convince him into starting a business for years. We will be bringing home 30lbs for our freezer.

Life is good.

THISISME
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I lived in San Francisco all my life,until four years ago,now I live in Orlando.California is probably the coolest place to live,except for the super high rent,and now that I've gotten my M4,some of the lamest,worthless laws ever.I still sometimes get "homesick" but I sorta get over it when my dad,who lives in downtown San Francisco,has to pay over $1200 dollars a month for his electric bill now,since all the power shit is happening.The MF'ing government should help PG&E.....I cannot believe that company is going outta business.It was around since,well,forever.The goverment should help Cali with it's power crisis,without cali,the nation loses a missive amount of money,and other resources.They better wake the f-ck up.They can't just milk it forever,and expect these old,great companies to hold up,when they cannot even make a profit because of the crisis.Most "ex-californians" miss the state,so do I,but I do not miss those useless laws.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Everyone behind enemy lines in communist occupied territory should come on over to the free state of Nevada.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I left in 1995 and things have only gotten better since. My wages have more then
doubled and living expenses have been cut in half, if not more in some ways like car
reg. and  insurance. I do miss the mountains and lakes of Shasta county and the rest
of N. CA.
TAC
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#11]
THISISME..
Don't laugh too hard, I actually have had burritos shipped here overnight from my friends in Kali!!!

P.S. Thanks for e-mailing me that carne asada recipe buddy!!?  I will reply with my super duper top secret salsa recipe TO DIE FOR!!!

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I moved there in 1980 and left in 1990. The only thing I miss is the great weather.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Moved away from L.A. about 8yrs ago now I live in NW Colo.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#14]
another MAJOR thing that rocked about California that I seriously miss.The AWESOME chinese food,not to mention italian,mexican,and everything else.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish I could tell you guy's my story of leaving but unfortunately I am still here. I hope to have a good story soon or maybe I will just accept the fact I might die here. NY SUCKS!
I don't think I can think of 10 good things here. HONESTLY!
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I grew up in Northern California (Sonoma County).. left for the last time when I was 20, 8 years ago.  I miss great wine everywhere, the canoeing down the Russian River, hiking in Armstrong Woods, the Pacific Ocean (the Atlantic pales in comparison), out of this world Mexican food, San Francisco sourdough French bread and riding my horses throw endless acres of vineyards.

Do NOT miss.. narcissistic, superficial, coffee-house frequenting, professional students who were the only ones capable of "deep thoughts," how many people were stoned or medicated just to make it through the day, how everyone was from somewhere else or moving somewhere else (the transient/tourist culture), how "I flaked" was a valid reason for not doing/being somewhere you were supposed to be and most of the politicians that passed laws assuming the general public was too stupid to exist without them.  

Pretty much eliminate the population of California and I'd move back.  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Miss Magnum, you hit the nail on the head. I do miss the food. It’s the people and their politics that I can’t stand about Kali.

My wife has to travel to Kali every 6 weeks to see her Doctor and she brings back French bread and a few things from our favorite bakeries.

About once a year our pastor in a large church in marin county would ask for a show of hands from everyone who has lived in Kali for 1/5/10/15 years/life and it was amazing how few hands where raised for eve 5 years.

Kali is like marriage; it’s perfect, it’s the people that are the problem.

THISISME  
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I miss the beaches, and being able to buy liquor at grocery stores. I also miss being able to drink without a Unicard.
View Quote

What is a "Unicard" ans why cant you buy booze at the grocery store in Tx?
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I left Riverside county three years ago.

View Quote

Paul,
Are you comming back someday?
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I currently live in Northern Kalifornia..Sonoma county to be exact.

Believe Miss Magnum, it's not what you left. The prices for everything here keep going up. About 2 years ago, the prices for homes doubled. A 4 bedroom house now start at about $250,000.
The main highway is ALWAYS backed up with traffic except maybe at 2am.
Santa Rosa is now 150,000 people. It's getting crowded here!!!

When I leave this Communist wonderland, I will miss it for a bit...maybe 15 minutes or so!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wish I could tell you guy's my story of leaving but unfortunately I am still here. I hope to have a good story soon or maybe I will just accept the fact I might die here. NY SUCKS!
I don't think I can think of 10 good things here. HONESTLY!
View Quote

amen bro amen........
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I was raised there. Left in "70.
Went back in'77 left in '82.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I was born and raised there in San Jose when they still grew apricots there!  Pre-Silicon Valley days.  Left in 1985 to go to flight school.  Moved back for a year in '92 when I got out of the Army and got divorced.  I couldn't stand it, so I got on a plane and flew to Florida with a suitcase, a carry on, and a cat.  No job, no friends, no car, no place to live.  I got off the plane and started my life over again.  If you want to start fresh, I'm here to tell you THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT!

Ross
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Lived in LA and Orange County 1966 to 1992, now outside of Detroit. I do miss the deserts, beaches and the weather. I also miss the carne asada I used to get in Santa Ana. I was out there visiting my dad three weeks ago, and got a little homesick, but then remembered I couldn't bring my new Bushmaster out to take to my old spot between Perris and Palm Springs. Had fun at the beach and got some good asada though. Really sad what has happened to my home.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#27]
AR15fan, a Unicard is a membership of sorts. Certain cities and counties in TX are considered dry. I am still a bit confused about this Unicard crap. Liquor can only be bought at designated stores. It seems to me that beer and wine are always seperated from liquor. So if you want a case of Heineken and some Gin, you would need to go to 2 different stores. At least its that way here in Plano/Collin County.

You guys that said, you're not able to find good Chinese and Italian food, YOU ARE SO F*CKING CORRECT. I love linguine w/ red clam sauce. I have been to 4 Italian restaurants and none make it as good as Antonucci's in Newport Beach. Ever since I left S.F. I can't find good Chinese food either. I haven't found a place that make Chinese BBQ'd pork. I also miss El Pollo Loco. You SoCal people know this. Few good authentice Mexican restaurants here though. I went to a hole in the wall BBQ shack in No.Dallas and that was heaven. They had beef rib with a choice of 3 sauces. Melt in your mouth. Beat BBQ King in L.A. Lots of steak places here. Still looking for a good Indian food place. As you guys can tell I love different cuisines.

Club scene here is much like L.A. or any metropolitan city. Freaks and ho's galore. Me likey. But also much like Orange County, lot of materialistic stuck up bitches.

I still miss the beach environment. I miss CA living. Lifestyle here is a tad bit different, but hey I've only been here 3wks, I'm still adjusting.

I love the political culture. The gun culture. And the people are really friendly.

I like it here so far. I eventually want to end up in FL though. Maybe retirement.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I couldn't stand it, so I got on a plane and flew to Florida with a suitcase, a carry on, and a cat.  No job, no friends, no car, no place to live.  I got off the plane and started my life over again.  If you want to start fresh, I'm here to tell you THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT!

Ross
View Quote

Well I did almost the same thing, except I had a job and an apt. when I got here. But pretty much left everything behind. Friends, my immediate family(bro, mom, sis in law, aunts/uncles, cousins) Good paying job. Shit I was a VP at a bank!!!! Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#29]
[left] Iam from indiana always lived here and from what ive read iam glad to be here! ive been to california. too damn crowded for me. the law's here are fairly descent i own a registerd machine gun. I live where they are still driving horse drawn buggies right smack dab in the middle of amish country. yea they do get ran over ive seen a lot of horse's get hit.
and thats true no electricity! has for
california ive been to san jose'.[/left]  
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In light of me and TREETOP leaving Kali, I was wondering how many other people on this board made the escape and when?

I miss the beaches, and being able to buy liquor at grocery stores. I also miss being able to drink without a Unicard. Or having no smoking at bars. But I can deal with those. Overall, its all good.
View Quote

LT, passing as a Mexican American in Texas is way better than being an oppressed Kalifornian.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I had to leave twice. Damm card rooms were
messing up my BR. My last night in Kali was the
night I had two straight flushes ironed out in
a nolimit game. I headed for Reno and busted
a table of Texas Holdem and bugged out for Sun Valley. After Elk season I beelined for FLA.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I lived in San Francisco all my life,until four years ago,now I live in Orlando.California is probably the coolest place to live,except for the super high rent,and now that I've gotten my M4,some of the lamest,worthless laws ever.I still sometimes get "homesick" but I sorta get over it when my dad,who lives in downtown San Francisco,has to pay over $1200 dollars a month for his electric bill now,since all the power shit is happening.The MF'ing government should help PG&E.....I cannot believe that company is going outta business.It was around since,well,forever.The goverment should help Cali with it's power crisis,without cali,the nation loses a missive amount of money,and other resources.They better wake the f-ck up.They can't just milk it forever,and expect these old,great companies to hold up,when they cannot even make a profit because of the crisis.Most "ex-californians" miss the state,so do I,but I do not miss those useless laws.
View Quote
The government should help KALI my
ass. Let those that need power to run their hightec operations move out. The smug enviro
loving whackoffs thought they could run a high
tec economy on alternative energy sources, NOT!
Let them reap what they have sown. Not a penny
of aid. Let them pay for their stupid mistakes
by themselves.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mole Eye:

LT, passing as a Mexican American in Texas is way better than being an oppressed Kalifornian.
View Quote

Funny you mentioned that. I have come across quite a few people here and none could guess my race. I've been mistaken from Mexican to Samoan/Hawaiian to Japanese. On chick even thought I was Korean!!!!! Most people I work with think I'm Hawaiian. I get asked if I know that Agbayani guy(baseball). None ever guessed I'm Filipino. Don't know if that's good or bad.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Retired and left Kali in "94."  Got tired of trying to save our freedoms, change things or keep them the same via the political process.  And it seemed there just weren't enough people left who could be bothered with the way things were going.  The climate, geography and all does little to offset the liberal mecca it has become.  I don't miss it.  Now I live on the Wasatch Front here in Utah.  Go shooting almost every day.  Carry almost any where inlcuding school property, and only ten minutes drive from the mountains.  Oh yes, and we have burn days for yard trash.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Moved there in Jan. of 80, married a native and moved to Phoenix in July of 90. The food in AZ is as good as any in PRK but the smog is catching up. When we visit my mother in law in Brea ( I may be a freak but I LOVE my MIL ) wife and I both agree leaving was the best thing we ever did. There are three days in the year when So. Kal is awesome, Christmas day, New years day and Thanksgiving day, light traffic and the beaches are clear. Other than that.....
    I never did get around to registering my "asault rifles" before I left.
    AZ has got to be one of the greatest states to live in, where else can you ride a bike year round with a .45 on your hip?
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#36]
i was born into the corrupt comnunist stae of Peoples replublic of Califoniri in DEC. 1981 until My family and I was libereated in Oct. 1rst  1999 to the gloruis FRee State of Arizona

I wil never forgot my joy as I crossed the Border into Freedom
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Left PRK last summer. I should have left sooner!
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I grew up in a city named Orange. While I was growing up there were still these vast tracts of land that had many different kinds of trees that grew a multitude of citrus fruit.
When I was 12 I was riding my dirt bike through the remains of the orchards and the empty fields, sometimes shooting my .22, most of the time shooting my bb gun.
By the time I was 15 there were no more active fruit orchards in Orange, the empty fields were fast becoming housing tracts, dirt bike riding was outlawed, shooting my .22 or my bb guns was outlawed.
I moved north (thanks Uncle Sam) to Oxnard, where it was just like Orange except it was a little colder.
Same deal, ride my dirtbike, shoot my guns, not that crowded.
Uncle Sam moved me to Washington, it was heaven!
Cheap housing, great places to ride dirtbikes, shoot, fish!
Uncle Sam moved me back to Oxnard, it was just like the Orange I left. Hardly any places to ride dirtbikes, no shooting allowed, cutting down the fruit trees for houses and paving over the bean fields to build houses.
Uncle Sam moved me to San Diego...What a freak show! That more than anything else made up my mind to get the flock outta Kalicommiefornication!
Uncle Sam moved me to Oklahoma.....Machine guns, CCW, DD's, AOW's, a gun show in Oklahoma City almost every weekend, shooting, dirtbike riding....
Uncle Sam moved me back to Washington......
No dirtbiking allowed, not shooting, smog, polluted water, democratic commienazis in charge, crowded freeways, unreal housing prices....
Where next, Idaho or Montana?

I miss the California of my youth, the beaches, dirtbikes, surfing, shooting, drag racing, sunny days and warm nights, babes in day-glo bikinis, skiing, canyon racing!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#39]
since i'm still here,i have a plan to implement-send all the liberal panty waste fruits and nuts out to sea,sink the boats,and start all over again.:D
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I left CA in 1998.  I miss the food, extended family, taking a high-speed ferryboat to work (very cool, but I have an 8 min commute now), and that's about all I can think of.  Everything else is MUCH better up here.  Yes, I even like the weather better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I was born and raised here in Kali, until the Marines shipped me out for four years. When I got back in 92, it wasn't that bad. But now my wife and I are looking to move to Idaho next year. I can't wait!

Chris
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 2:31:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I left the gun hating state of California in January and went to the gun hating country of Japan.  As you can imagine, there are no gun stores or shooting ranges around here.  Yesterday, however, I was able to buy some body armor at a surplus store that is rated for .30 caliber ball ammo.  The manager of the store didn't realize what he had, and priced it the same as his used flak vests.  Got a great deal.  I looked awfully silly riding my bike back to the barracks with it though...
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#43]
hmm
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow quite a few people from my old stomping grounds, Orange County. Tell you what I am looking forward to my next visit.

Hey sluggolbc, how come you never shared that plan with me. I know you guys were trying to get rid of me weren't you? [:(]

sorry for the late response. I forgot I started this thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Moved there in Jan. of 80, married a native and moved to Phoenix in July of 90. The food in AZ is as good as any in PRK but the smog is catching up. When we visit my mother in law in Brea ( I may be a freak but I LOVE my MIL ) wife and I both agree leaving was the best thing we ever did. There are three days in the year when So. Kal is awesome, Christmas day, New years day and Thanksgiving day, light traffic and the beaches are clear. Other than that.....
    I never did get around to registering my "asault rifles" before I left.
    AZ has got to be one of the greatest states to live in, where else can you ride a bike year round with a .45 on your hip?
View Quote

Nice Motorcycle (Motoguzzi),

I'm glad to hear that about Arizona. I've been thinking about it more than any other place.
I've considered many parts of the country but I have many concerns. Because of my family in the PRK I need to be in a state that is close. Plus, I have some problems with other states. Mainly, i'm concerned about how my children & wife would be accepted, the location of colleges/universities, and employment.
Arizona seems more appealing the more I hear about it!!!

LordTrader, glad things are working out for you!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't understand, theres no liquor in supermarkets, and it's not a dry town.  Where is liquor found, only a liquor store?

I'm still hoping the politics changes for the better here, but may only be dreaming. Just heard a Davis person telling market owners that the energy crisis is not Davis fault and can be fixed immediately by the Feds by regulating energy.  Sounds like blowing smoke up one's @ss, and Ol' Red for another 4 years.
View Quote

I too hope things will change and will hold out while I can. In a way, I don't have a choice at the moment.

My thinking now is that I need to start looking for a second state to call home. Maybe then, if things don't get better I can at least move. Also, I could possibly buy some of the other toys I want and keep them there.

Arizona looks good but I may even consider Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota as I have family there too. Where to look, where to look...
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top