Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
(insert Native American stereotype here)  good trade
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No way I'd trade a milsurp relic for a functioning, modern weapon.  Sorry, my brother...but you fail.

Wow...whatever you're smoking, I want some.  
View Quote

More 13er bs
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I don't get the Garand obsession. If it can't hold 1MOA, it belongs in the trashcan along with the ak junk.
View Quote
I seriously doubt yours shoots 1 MOA. In fact, I know it doesn't. And I know this, because if it did, you would know exactly why, and you would have known better than to compare apples to oranges.

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Good trade.
As a General purpose round, the 30-06 is much better than the 5.56.
You can load a 30-06 light enough to shoot a squirrel, or heavy enough to take down a black bear/ elk reliably. (I would want a heavier bullet than a Garand can handle for grizzly)

In my opinion, the Garand is the best semi auto made in 30-06.

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So you don't get people owning WWII era jeeps, tanks and aircraft?    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get the Garand obsession. If it can't hold 1MOA, it belongs in the trashcan along with the ak junk.

So you don't get people owning WWII era jeeps, tanks and aircraft?    

As a relic of primitive times ,sure. Just not as a primary piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I seriously doubt yours shoots 1 MOA. In fact, I know it doesn't. And I know this, because if it did, you would know exactly why, and you would have known better than to compare apples to oranges.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sold all my stuff during the panic. All I have now is an HK 416 upper ,since I lost my FOID card. I can't shoot at all. Illinois sucks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Silly 13er.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

13-ers - Not that I'm much better.

No plans to sell this. Ever. I fell in love with it the moment I saw the ad and knew as soon as I saw it I absolutely had to have it

I don't have ANYTHING in .30 cal - I'm really excited to shoot it for the first time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
What AR are you going to buy once you sell the Garand?

Quoted:
No way I'd trade a milsurp relic for a functioning, modern weapon.  Sorry, my brother...but you fail.

Quoted:

Seriously, have you even picked one up. The greatest battle rifle ever invented and it is sacrilegious to mention it in the same phrase with an AK for comparison purposes.

Wow...whatever you're smoking, I want some.  

13-ers - Not that I'm much better.

No plans to sell this. Ever. I fell in love with it the moment I saw the ad and knew as soon as I saw it I absolutely had to have it

I don't have ANYTHING in .30 cal - I'm really excited to shoot it for the first time.

I own several, you will NOT be disappointed
Look into the CMP surplus HXP ammo, you can't beat it for the price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
You did good op.
Love my garand and I have two ar's.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

eat a bag of cocks
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
The power of Garand compels me. I have a strong urge to get one...or two.        

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that a 5 million SN?
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn pilgrams, what the hell are you talkin about.

good trade OP!
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
what planet have you been on?  , ever hear of a place called Camp Perry?
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]
309XXXX
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
A damned good trade OP.  You can get an AR almost anywhere.  M1s, well, they don't make those anymore.  I consider it to the be the finest rifle I've ever had the privilege of firing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

309XXXX
View Quote
Ah. Was just curious. BTW, just your operating rod is worth about $200 because it's unmodified, so you've got that going for you. An unmodified op-rod on a 5mil M1 would be a little odd is why I asked.

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hahaha.

I've been through over 300 30 rounds in my M1 without a single malfunction and it was shooting groups almost indistinguishable from my AR's shot groups Remington 870 with 00 buck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahaha.

I've been through over 300 30 rounds in my M1 without a single malfunction and it was shooting groups almost indistinguishable from my AR's shot groups Remington 870 with 00 buck.

Fixed.

I have had chronic problems with my rear sight loosening up. I have had frequent issues with misfires from multiple batches of ammo. The metal looked like it had never been fired, but the stock it came in was a CMP boyds birch that was looser than Sasha Gray after an anal gangbang shoot. I'm on the fence about whether to sell it or eventually replace the stock with one from Dean's Gun Restorations. While it will never be as good as a rack grade tier 1 AR, and sure as hell will never be as good as a white oak no matter how much money you sink into it, I should be able to do better than 5 MOA with ammo that my dad's M1 will shoot 2 MOA.

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Ha, I scored my M1 in a trade. I traded an Olympic PCR 20" rifle on a RRA lower, all stock A2 stuff for a Winchester Dane VAR barreled M1 AND a nice 1945 SMLE No4Mk1. I think I scored amazingly in that deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is this "Camp Perry" place you speak of?

Is it, by chance, in NW Ohio?

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good trade.
As a General purpose round, the 30-06 is much better than the 5.56.
You can load a 30-06 light enough to shoot a squirrel, or heavy enough to take down a black bear/ elk reliably. (I would want a heavier bullet than a Garand can handle for grizzly)

In my opinion, the Garand is the best semi auto made in 30-06.

View Quote

With the adjustable gas plug you can shoot the heavy stuff too. The other thing you can do with a Garand is shoot real 168 gr. AP black tip ammo that can stop a V8 with one shot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]
the M1 gave our troops the single biggest advantage of any ground army during WWII.  no other military had a rifle that was STANDARD ISSUE to a normal GI that could put lead downrange as fast or as precise.  it was most definitely a major contributing factor as to why we won the war.  take pride in owning a rifle like that, and ignore the negativity posted by some here.

for what its worth, I have a CMP M1 made by Springfield in 1955.  100% USGI.  I take it to the range, and it doesn't matter if someone is there shooting a piece of crap gun, or the latest and greatest, they ALWAYS drop their jaw and stare when I shoot it.  Many want to fondle it, and many can't stop looking at it.  A rifle whose overall design dates to the 1930s, still impressing people like that.  That says something if a range full of people stop what they are doing when I take it out of its case and load up a clip.  And they don't stop looking until the clip flies out and the *PING* is heard.  

No hate on the AR's, hell it's what I used in the military and I am building one now.  But I predict in 50+ years, AR's of today won't get near the attention an M1 will still get.  Just something special and mystical about it.

Be proud to own it, buy ammo from CMP, and have fun.  If you have to get some commercial ammo every now and then to hold you over until the CMP stuff arrives, I advise getting THIS so you don't bend your op rod.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Noice
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#25]
You made out well... fresh USGI rebuild on a post war receiver. Looks like a CMP service grade.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

the M1 gave our troops the single biggest advantage of any ground army during WWII.  no other military had a rifle that was STANDARD ISSUE to a normal GI that could put lead downrange as fast or as precise.  it was most definitely a major contributing factor as to why we won the war.  take pride in owning a rifle like that, and ignore the negativity posted by some here.

for what its worth, I have a CMP M1 made by Springfield in 1955.  100% USGI.  I take it to the range, and it doesn't matter if someone is there shooting a piece of crap gun, or the latest and greatest, they ALWAYS drop their jaw and stare when I shoot it.  Many want to fondle it, and many can't stop looking at it.  A rifle whose overall design dates to the 1930s, still impressing people like that.  That says something if a range full of people stop what they are doing when I take it out of its case and load up a clip.  And they don't stop looking until the clip flies out and the *PING* is heard.  

No hate on the AR's, hell it's what I used in the military and I am building one now.  But I predict in 50+ years, AR's of today won't get near the attention an M1 will still get.  Just something special and mystical about it.

Be proud to own it, buy ammo from CMP, and have fun.  If you have to get some commercial ammo every now and then to hold you over until the CMP stuff arrives, I advise getting THIS so you don't bend your op rod.
View Quote
You're not kidding! EVERY time, it's unreal.

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You made out well... fresh USGI rebuild on a post war receiver. Looks like a CMP service grade.
View Quote

I didn't get it from the CMP, but the guy I got it from may have.

How can you tell if it's a postwar? I thought post wars were after 4 XXX XXX?

I'm checking dates on everything...so for this is what I have

Receiver  - Springfield 309XXXX - Springfield Armory 1944
Barrel- 1 S--A - 3 45  - Springfield Armory March 1945
Bolt  D28287 19SA -  March 1944 till end of WWII production somewhere around 3.9 mill
Hammer C46008 3 SA  June 1942-June 1943
Trigger Housing  D28290 12-SA November 1942-September 1944
Op Rod - D35382 9 SA (No Letter) Nov 1943 - Oct 1945 ?

Also - I was looking at a Gas Plug for this, which one should I get?
Ported One vs Schuster Plug
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#29]
lulz at the 13'er idiocy

OP did good
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bolt  D28287 19SA -  March 1944 till end of WWII production somewhere around 3.9 mill

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the Garand Gear Ported One.  There is nothing wrong with the Schuster but the folks over at the CMP website forum make a compelling case based on ease of use for the one from Garand gear.  But set up an account at the CMP and buy the surplus ammo they sell as well since your gun was made to use that stuff.

The CMP can look at their records and find out if your Garand is one of theirs and I recommend you pay the couple of dollars and do that that.  Congrats! The dates you're posting look good.  That makes me want to try to confirm it as a CMP rifle even more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ah. Was just curious. BTW, just your operating rod is worth about $200 because it's unmodified, so you've got that going for you. An unmodified op-rod on a 5mil M1 would be a little odd is why I asked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
309XXXX

Yep, good trade. Un cut op rod, worth a good chunk of change. If you intend this to be a shooter consider trading or selling your op rod, and installing a relief cut op rod. USGI stock, possibly HRA with the large back porch? Tough to say from the pics.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it can't hold 1 MOA you aren't doing your part

Is that an uncut op rod?
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA:  You did GOOD OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Fair straight-up trade but that's about it.

My main intrest is C&R mil-surps and I own a Garand....More to have a nice example for my collection than anything else. There are a lot of down-sides to a Garand and I never recommend a Garand for a first mil-surp but it's a piece of American history that can't be ignored.

I would not go searching for another Garand. I've bought a few on the cheap since and sold them to finance other C&R mil-surps I enjoy more.

All that said I would like a Garand Cut-A-Way training aid. I'll come across one by and by.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:41:21 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SmvP1EM.gif

Friggin' 13'ers are on a ROLL lately...

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SmvP1EM.gif

Agreed.  Thread is full of dildos...  13'er dildos.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

13'r

Choke yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

13'r

Choke yourself.

I thought they were back in school already?..... Weekend, that explains it.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Well done! Looks like a nice one. However, I'm a little bit of a milsurp nut.

I traded an AK for a Mosin...
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I guess those that don't own a Garand, just don't understand.

To put it in perspective,  before owning a Garand, I started with an AR-15.  I got hooked, and built a couple more.  I had plans to build 3 or 4 more.  I then bought a Garand from the CMP.  Since then,  I have gotten 5 more, and have 1 more on order.  My ARs have taken a back seat.  Even my boys, who love shooting AR's will choose the Garand when asked what they would rather take to the range.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

TargetTarget, is that you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#41]
That's an excellent, and very clean M1.  Heal markings are crisp and beautiful.  From the pics, that's a very nice rifle.  SA is the classic *government* manufacturer of the M1, IMHO.

Unlike your Bushmaster, your new M1 rifle is a military-grade weapon, with all that implies in terms of materials and process control.  

M1s are awesome-robust, simple to operate and maintain, and proven in every climate the Earth has to offer.  

You can store your clips in ammo cans for 200 years, and they'll be ready to shoot right out of the bandoleers with zero malfunctions from "spring fatigue".  

Six million M1s can't be wrong.  It can still launch a bullet in a straight line, with a reasonable amount of self-loading follow up shots that can be taken before it requires reloading.

Damned good score OP.  Let us know how it shoots when you get a chance.

Oh, and despite what you've been told, every USGI M1 has a "collector's" appeal.  No civilian-made M1 will ever be as good as one manufactured for the U.S. Government.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top