Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2013 1:31:19 PM EDT

Uintah County Undersheriff John Laursen says the man was trying to roll the 600- to 700-pound animal over when the antler stabbed him behind his jaw.
Deputies say the hunter called for help and told dispatchers he was having trouble breathing.
Rescuers airlifted the man to the hospital, and crews put a tube into his trachea to keep it open.
View Quote

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/10/utah-hunter-gores-himself-on-antler-elk-killed/

What a fucking failure.

Edit: He survived, no need to start sending flowers yet.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see a reason to laugh at a mans death. Shit happens but we shouldn't get enjoyment out of this. IMO of course
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh shit. That wasn't far from here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't see a reason to laugh at a mans death. Shit happens but we shouldn't get enjoyment out of this. IMO of course
View Quote

Because he was a dumbass. Same reason we laugh at Darwin Award winners

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Hunting shouldn't be so one sided.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laursen says the hunter was later flown to a different hospital for surgery, and was expected to make a full recovery.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/10/utah-hunter-gores-himself-on-antler-elk-killed/#ixzz2eWoZhXSH

I agree though... that ain't funny and could happen to any hunter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because he was a dumbass. Same reason we laugh at every other Darwin Award winner

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he was a dumbass. Same reason we laugh at every other Darwin Award winner

How was he a dumbass?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Uintah County Undersheriff John Laursen says the man was trying to roll the 600- to 700-pound animal over when the antler stabbed him behind his jaw.

Deputies say the hunter called for help and told dispatchers he was having trouble breathing.

Rescuers airlifted the man to the hospital, and crews put a tube into his trachea to keep it open.
View Quote

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/10/utah-hunter-gores-himself-on-antler-elk-killed/

What a fucking failure.

View Quote

Well aren't you a fucking comedian.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How was he a dumbass?
View Quote

Well he did get his ass kicked by a dead animal. That was pretty stupid on his part.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

Remember, it's only not a laughing matter when it happens to an Arfcom member or their family. Otherwise all bets are off. You can make fun of and post videos of people getting brutally murdered. But dare make a joke in a prayer thread, kiss your ass goodbye.

Double standards, they aint just for libtards.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
How do you figure he was a DA OP?
It could happen to anyone, he tries to roll the animal, slips and falls on the antler.
Why don't you GTFO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well he did get his ass kicked by a dead animal. That was pretty stupid on his part.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

Texans.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Getting stabbed by the body of the animal that you just killed.  Now that takes a special kind of stupid.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
EDIT:  No reason for me to add to the dog pile.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

I'd like to see you deal with a big dead elk by yourself.  I bet you would manhandle it like a rockstar!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm guessing he lost his footing while pulling on the rack and slipped and fell on them. Not sure that's a laughable offense.

I'm guessing the OP has never slipped before.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The article is pretty vague.

Is there a reason you think he was a dumbass?  

I laugh at Darwin award winners (actually I don't, but I do cringe) when they try to clear a lawnmower with their teeth or taste electricity.  This guy might have been using a block and tackle or got caught on a bad incline for all we know.  Being trached and slowly drowning in your own blood is a pretty horrid way to die.  

View Quote

Already explained, and he didn't die.

He was careless and didn't pay attention to what he was doing. That was stupid.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Elk antlers should come with a warning label.

[sarfcasm]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I could picture this happening.  Bringing down a trophy animal brings the adrenaline way up.  If I shoot from a tree stand, I make it a point to sit for 15-20 minutes before climbing down, just because I am so amped, it would be easy to fall.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'd like to see you deal with a big dead elk by yourself.  I bet you would manhandle it like a rockstar!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

So he didn't know what he was getting into or wasn't capable of it. Not very smart either way.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

shit happens
I got my ass whooped by a shop broom once... true story
was leaning against a table just right that when I tapped it with my foot it flipped back and out at just the right angle popped me in the mouth
busted my lip and knocked my front teeth loose. Bled like I took a hit from Mike Tyson

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Remember, it's only not a laughing matter when it happens to an Arfcom member or their family. Otherwise all bets are off. You can make fun of and post videos of people getting brutally murdered. But dare make a joke in a prayer thread, kiss your ass goodbye.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

THANK YOU

Someone had to say it.

The hypocrisy here is staggering.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#24]
You people laughing about this are idiots.    Working up a large animal is hard work and shit can happen.   Very dangerous shit can and will happen to anyone when you are in the wilderness.

The experienced elk killers here are not laughing.   They are taking this as a lesson.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The article is pretty vague.

Is there a reason you think he was a dumbass?  

I laugh at Darwin award winners (actually I don't, but I do cringe) when they try to clear a lawnmower with their teeth or taste electricity.  This guy might have been using a block and tackle or got caught on a bad incline for all we know.  Being trached and slowly drowning in your own blood is a pretty horrid way to die.  

Have you ever slipped in the woods, tripped over something, cut your finger, broke a bone? Or are you so perfect that those things can't happen to you? Accidents happen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

Accidents happen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Texans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

Texans.

Exactly.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#29]
"No damn man kills me and lives!"  ~~ Nathan Bedford Forrest
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#30]
OP is a failure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Have you ever slipped in the woods, tripped over something, cut your finger, broke a bone? Or are you so perfect that those things can't happen to you? Accidents happen.
View Quote

Done a few of those things, never almost killed myself on a dead animal though. It's on the same level as chainsawing a tree and letting it fall on you. It's completely avoidable if you pay attention to what you're doing.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone laughing at this has obviously never left their couch.  You hunt elk in nasty terrain, crappy conditions and if you have ever tried to gut a bull elk Solo you will realize that it takes massive amounts of effort just to move them enough to clean them out.  I've done it and it takes all a grown man can do to jimmy them around a little.  Try to turn the head or front legs, feet slip, Bam you just fell.  It happens.  It's unfortunate he got injured.  

I can understand this being funny to anyone who doesn't hunt, especially elk.  Anyone who has BTDT will not laugh...till the guy is recovered and he is laughing about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Done a few of those things, never almost killed myself on a dead animal though. It's on the same level as chainsawing a tree and letting it fall on you. It's completely avoidable if you pay attention to what you're doing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay on your high horse and see if something doesn't happen to you that's "completely unavoidable".
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I sure love a good butthurt thread!

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm sure you've never tripped, fallen, accidentally cut yourself with scissors, or just fucked up in general, OP.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? You must be gods gift to humanity.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Stay on your high horse and see if something doesn't happen to you that's "completely unavoidable".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If/when that happens then it will be because I was also being a dumbass. Go ahead and laugh if it happens.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#38]
You ever have to gut and/or quarter an elk? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. You're generally tired at that point. Elk are heavy, and dead weight can be difficult to move around. You can easily lose track of the antlers. I can see trying to lift, stumbling, and getting impaled.

Stupidity may or may not play a part. Sometimes accidents happen.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he a dumbass?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#39]

It's easy to tell who in this thread has almost killed themselves with a carcass before. Probable the same guys that "clean" loaded guns pointed at their faces.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You ever have to gut and/or quarter an elk? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. You're generally tired at that point. Elk are heavy, and dead weight can be difficult to move around. You can easily lose track of the antlers. I can see trying to lift, stumbling, and getting impaled.

Stupidity may or may not play a part. Sometimes accidents happen.

View Quote

There is a reason it doesn't happen more often. Funny how almost everyone in this thread knows exactly how dangerous it is, but don't expect that hunter to have known.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#41]
How many elk has OP killed in rough terrain?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]
The last elk I killed was on a hillside so steep you could touch the ground in front of you while standing up.    The bull was lodged facing down hill in an Alder patch.    It took chopping Alder and moving the elk with rope to get him into a position to work him up.   Oh,  and it was raining the whole time.   You tell me I shouldn't have slipped and  fallen down or potentially been injured.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

51 year old guy out there hunting and getting it done.   He's most likely on our side of things and I wish him a speedy and full recovery.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I heard about this early this morning.  I believe the man is a vice principal at a local elementary school.  Decent guy apparently.  He actually helps teach one of the classes there due to a vacancy in one of the teacher positions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Please be a Schipp  please be a Schipp  please be a Schipp.!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#46]

This guy almost got me and he was stone cold dead when I walked up to him

Heavy ass dead animal + slick/wet brush = almost putting a spike in my chest
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people have a weird sense of humor.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

What a fucking failure.

View Quote

Harvesting an elk on the side of a mountain in Utah is a little different than shooting a deer off a feeder out of a blind and running your four wheeler over to drag it out.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Crazy crap can happen. I shot a buck in mid Dec and I dragged it for some yards and then stopped to reposition my grip. As soon as I started to pull the antler popped off and I took a tumble and the antler jabbed me in the hip. Had I been positioned differently who knows where it would have gotten me.
Moral even in death they can get you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

What a fucking failure.
View Quote

Pics of your elk taken on a self guided trip?

When I was stationed in Colorado, the only thing Texans were good for during elk season was getting lost.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top