Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/5/2013 5:44:20 AM EDT
Bakersfield man says Kern County sheriff deputies ‘tortured’ and jailed him before eventually releasing him without charge

For Kern County Sheriff’s Department, the accusations of brutality are beginning to pile up.

David Scott Byrket, a 53-year-old father of four with no criminal record, told the Daily News that on April 21, he was repeatedly beaten by sheriff’s deputies, stripped of his clothes and thrown into a jail cell, before suddenly being set free two days later with no charges filed against him.

They told me they were going to kill me,” Byrket, who goes by the name Scotty, said. “There were multiple officers involved, it was scary.”
View Quote

Experiencing significant pain in his back and side, Byrket’s family took him to Bakersfield Memorial Hospital, where x-rays showed that he had suffered “multiple right-sided rib fractures.”

Days later, Byrket’s wife drove him to Loma Linda University Hospital, and a MRI revealed two fractures to the discs in his spine.

Armed with the medical information, Byrket wrote a letter to Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood on May 17 requesting a formal investigation of his treatment.
View Quote

Byrket and his family say that they have yet to be contacted by any member of the Sheriff’s department, or by internal affairs.
View Quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-accuses-kern-county-sheriff-department-torture-article-1.1446285
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Ouch
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably should have stopped resisting.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Must have been a hell of a party.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone's going to get paid
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Isolated incident.

First?

ETA: further comments not COC approved.

ETA2: "Let's wait for the full story".

Armed with the medical information, Byrket wrote a letter to Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood on May 17 requesting a formal investigation of his treatment.
View Quote

Youngblood, who serves as the coroner as well as the sheriff in Kern County, says that the common link in those deaths was the drug use of the victims.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the same Kern County Sheriff that had this logo on their police cars, no joke.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Only half of the story. Guilty till proven innocent
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is the same Kern County Sheriff that had this logo on their police cars, no joke.

http://officeforward.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/26133916.jpg

View Quote

No way that's true. Any legit report of that on their cars?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Isolated incident.

First?

ETA: further comments not COC approved.

ETA2: "Let's wait for the full story".
View Quote

Not in Kern county it seems,In Tx the DPS would've stepped in by now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's got to be a chop.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
While tragic (if true) when I worked in prisons , some inmates wpuld injure themselves by dropping their body onto the toilet seat and kicking the doors and then claiming we beat them. (makes for a large inmate trust account to buy shit at the commissary while they're in prison if they win)

So not knowing all sides to this story, I'll reserve judgement.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Only half of the story. Guilty till proven innocent
View Quote

Your critical thinking and logic have no place in this thread....
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even I don't buy that, they cannot be that stupid in this litigious society.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:55:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bakersfield Californian reported that Kern County Sheriff Mack Wimbish said he knew nothing about the "We'll Kick Your Ass" signs and thought the pictures were doctored photos. But Wimbish also told Bakersfield TV station KGET that "he didn't have anything to do with it but that when he saw the decals he found out who was responsible and had them reprimanded."

The sergeant in charge of vehicles claimed he could not recall who told him to put the questionable decals on the cars (except that it was not Sheriff Wimbish), but then Assistant Sheriff Lafave said the sergeant had suddenly remembered that the commander in charge of vehicles told him to make up the stickers and place them on two patrol cars. The commander in charge of vehicles, Chris Davis, told KGET that "there never was a direct order to pull off this gag."
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Reminds me of the story/Joke about the guy who rolled through the stop sign.

But I think I shall hold onto my opinion until a little more info comes out about this. I wonder if he would have been ok if he had a dag with him?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
While tragic (if true) when I worked in prisons , some inmates wpuld injure themselves by dropping their body onto the toilet seat and kicking the doors and then claiming we beat them. (makes for a large inmate trust account to buy shit at the commissary while they're in prison if they win)

View Quote

I think the no charges aspect makes me seriously question police actions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Related?

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bakersfield Californian reported that Kern County Sheriff Mack Wimbish said he knew nothing about the "We'll Kick Your Ass" signs and thought the pictures were doctored photos. But Wimbish also told Bakersfield TV station KGET that "he didn't have anything to do with it but that when he saw the decals he found out who was responsible and had them reprimanded."

The sergeant in charge of vehicles claimed he could not recall who told him to put the questionable decals on the cars (except that it was not Sheriff Wimbish), but then Assistant Sheriff Lafave said the sergeant had suddenly remembered that the commander in charge of vehicles told him to make up the stickers and place them on two patrol cars. The commander in charge of vehicles, Chris Davis, told KGET that "there never was a direct order to pull off this gag."

Ho Lee Fuk.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Short story.

1) Drunk son calls police on father with fake story about domestic abuse.
2) Police arrest dad.
3) Police administer roadside justice fracturing ribs and causing vertebral disc herniations.
4) Police cut dad loose after they realize their was no crime.
5) Complaint filed with Sheriff yet no Internal Affairs investigation is ever done.
6) Story ends up in Daily News.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Watch the TBL defend these twits right up until the FBI files charges.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That and the fact that a guy with no criminal record suddenly knows all the tricks of a hardened inmate?  

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Watch the TBL defend these twits right up until the FBI files charges.

View Quote

Yeah I bet the FBI GAF, they're off doing their own version.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.   Caused a shit storm.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#28]
The guy needs to be beaten again for not getting a lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So they just stopped in the middle of the road and beat him up for no reason.

Does not pass the sniff test.
View Quote

There's a reason. It's just most non-psychopaths don't understand it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's got to be a chop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's got to be a chop.

I lived in Kern for 4 years and never saw that. It's BS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's got to be a chop.

I lived in Bakersfield also.   It happened.   The cars never hit the street with the logo, but pictures were taken and someone got ahold of them.    Wimbash said it would be funny and someone thought that ment put them on the cars.  

Rumor has it they also put "we'll bite your ass" on a K-9 unit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#33]
For those doubting the story. Kern County Sheriff's Department has history of sustained excessive force, rape, and abuse complaints.

1) The family of a Rosamond man who they contend was beaten to death by four Kern County Sheriff's deputies in 2010 was awarded $4.5 million in its civil lawsuit against the deputies, the sheriff's department and the County of Kern.

2) $7M Settlement Against Kern County Sheriff's Dept.

The settlement covers former inmates who were strip-searched after having been ordered released by a court, and those who were strip-searched in a group without any privacy, White said.
View Quote

3) Kern County Sheriff's Office: Deputy arrested for sexual assault

The victim reported that two deputies went to her home in the Tehachapi area at about 11:00 p.m., to investigate a burglary involving a man who was at her home.

While speaking to deputies in her home she was handcuffed and led into a room by one of the deputies to be searched.  While being searched she was sexually assaulted by the deputy, according to reports.
View Quote

4) Hell, even the ex-wife of Sheriff Youngblood filed a lawsuit against the police for being mauled by their K-9.

Estranged wife of Kern County Sheriff describes police dog mauling
http://www.kget.com/news/local/story/Estranged-wife-of-Kern-County-Sheriff-describes/TUGgxE8q6E2yVhzjH_A8sA.cspx

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I lived in Bakersfield also.   It happened.   The cars never hit the street with the logo, but pictures were taken and someone go ahold of them.    Wimbash said it would be funny and someone thought that ment put them on the cars.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's got to be a chop.

I lived in Bakersfield also.   It happened.   The cars never hit the street with the logo, but pictures were taken and someone go ahold of them.    Wimbash said it would be funny and someone thought that ment put them on the cars.  

Ok, I stand corrected. I bet the person who let the pics go got a hell of thrashing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Furtive movement?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#36]
There would be payback, without a court date.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For those doubting the story. Kern County Sheriff's Department has history of sustained excessive force, rape, and abuse complaints.

1) The family of a Rosamond man who they contend was beaten to death by four Kern County Sheriff's deputies in 2010 was awarded $4.5 million in its civil lawsuit against the deputies, the sheriff's department and the County of Kern.

4) Hell, even the ex-wife of Sheriff Youngblood filed a lawsuit against the police for being mauled by their K-9.

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story/Estranged-wife-of-Kern-County-Sheriff-describes/TUGgxE8q6E2yVhzjH_A8sA.cspx

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The settlement covers former inmates who were strip-searched after having been ordered released by a court, and those who were strip-searched in a group without any privacy, White said.

The victim reported that two deputies went to her home in the Tehachapi area at about 11:00 p.m., to investigate a burglary involving a man who was at her home.

While speaking to deputies in her home she was handcuffed and led into a room by one of the deputies to be searched.  While being searched she was sexually assaulted by the deputy, according to reports.

I am still looking for the pictures of the bank robbers car that was shot up by the mall on Ming.   Damn thing looked like Swiss cheese.  Can not remember if it was KCSO or BPD.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#38]
You've been swat'd
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#40]
He was doing his gf on a drunken lust filled weekend and her former NFL- wrestlemania Husband caught them...had to tell the wife something
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#41]
That's the real issue.............why no charges after all that

Quoted:
So they broke his ribs and stomped on his foot because he what? Tried to escape or fight them? But they never charged him with resisting, assault or attempted escape, or anything at all? I agree I would not usually buy "there I was minding my own business when" but with those injuries he wasnt' charged?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or not.

So they broke his ribs and stomped on his foot because he what? Tried to escape or fight them? But they never charged him with resisting, assault or attempted escape, or anything at all? I agree I would not usually buy "there I was minding my own business when" but with those injuries he wasnt' charged?  

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love it when people suddenly remember critical details.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ok, I stand corrected. I bet the person who let the pics go got a hell of thrashing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah right.

We'll Kick Your Ass' Slogan on Sheriff's Patrol Cars Becomes Issue in Excessive Force Trial

They claim in a trial brief that the department's slogan shows that an "intent to do harm" is part of the department's culture.

Bakersfield attorney Andrew Thomson dismissed the charge. The slogans "were done in humor," he told jurors last week.

"It was an unfortunate attempt at public relations when it happened, and it was immediately renounced," Kern County spokesman Allan Krauter said. "That's certainly not the attitude the county wants to portray to the people whom it serves, and it's certainly not the attitude of the current sheriff."

In their trial brief, the Philips also say a Kern County Sheriff's Department K-9 car featured the slogan, "We'll Bite Your Ass."
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or not.

Ohhhh, shit, guys.  The penguin just called BS on the elephant.

It's fucking ON like the Bronx Zoo Thunderdome in here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#47]
So why is this not all over the local news? First I have seen of it. As for the logo yep some body put it on one car and snapped a pic and if I remember right some one lost there job over it. It was a couple of years ago.  Gary
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that's damn funny!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Plus there is the medical issue. The Sheriff's department was responsible for his injuries yet did not provide him with medical attention. He sustained fractures and required spinal surgery. The man's health was the Sheriff's responsibility when he was in custody and they did not do their duty by "deliberate indifference to serious medical needs".

Also, a crime was committed by ignoring his medical needs.

California Penal Code Section 673 makes certain kinds of prisoner medical care neglect a misdemeanor crime.12
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top