Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2013 7:38:35 AM EDT
Anyone know of one online? Google maps will show property lines, but you can't overlay it with an aerial view. Bingmaps has a great aerial view, but again can't overlap property lines and aerial. Basically, I want to map out a location for a 100 yard shooting lane at my house, but want to get a visual of trees and property boundaries.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you check your property appraiser's website to see if they have a GIS system available for your use?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Might be better to pay the money and have it surveyed as a CYA thing if you have any doubt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you check your property appraiser's website to see if they have a GIS system available for your use?
View Quote

This.

But read the fine print on your local GIS if you have one. There is usually language that aerial views with property lines can be off. The only sure way to verify is to have a licensed surveyor do a boundary survey.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Might be better to pay the money and have it surveyed as a CYA thing if you have any doubt.
View Quote

Yup.  But just for eyeballing the approximate lines, I would think you could get a screenshot of the satellite image and property line image and overlay one on the other in Photoshop.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.

But read the fine print on your local GIS if you have one. There is usually language that aerial views with property lines can be off. The only sure way to verify is to have a licensed surveyor do a boundary survey.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yeah, I've used googlemaps on my phone and it has been pretty close when compared to where some of the markers are. I've used this for hiking purposes and just general knowledge while walking my land. I plan to pay for it, but I just moved in (moving expenses suck) and last time I checked they wanted north of 2K for my 15.5 acre plot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Our County has a GIS website set up that we use. It'll do rough property lines over recent images.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.zillow.com will do it.

Just zoom in a bit.

Looking at my property lines, they are accurate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]

started using the county's GIS mapping tool. Once I got the hang of it, it was perfect. I'll have to cut some trees, but considering they're 30+ foot pines maybe I could sell them?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy the survey and check your local zoning ordinance.  GIS maps are a good representation of the property line configuration, but they are rarely right.  If you think you are close to your boundary, hire the surveyor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
GIS as was said, BUT, the Bing maps on Zillow will allow to view property lines AND sat images with their bird's eye view feature

Speed
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

started using the county's GIS mapping tool. Once I got the hang of it, it was perfect. I'll have to cut some trees, but considering they're 30+ foot pines maybe I could sell them?
View Quote

Unless the pines are well within your propery, you are still going to be better off having it surveyed. Depending on your neighbors, this could end up going bad on you.

Cutting trees on or near your property line and putting in a shooting range could cause you a world of shit. Have it surveyed, check your local ordinances and then if everything is on your side and they bitch, you can tell them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#12]
You should not be making legal boundary decisions with fucking Google Maps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You should not be making legal boundary decisions with fucking Google Maps.
View Quote

This is true but how close is OP trying to get? I am not a licensed surveyor but I do a lot of surveying work and the GIS stuff is pretty accurate. I wouldn't get a foot off the line or anything but I don't think I have ever seen huge errors as in hundreds of feet.

Building a house or something definitely hire a surveyor but building a simple shooting range I would just use common sense. I would be really careful cutting down trees or anything like that close to the line but if you are a significant distance away I would not worry a whole lot but that is just me. OF course it would be best to hire a surveyor but that is not cheap. Then again it might be worth it to know where your lines are.

How much land do you have OP to where you don't know where your property line is?

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Not even a concern about property line closeness, I just wanted to see the layout of the land and the best suitable location for a range.

Here's a look:
That black line is 300ft (100 yards). Going from closest to house away (shooting "down") there are hills, pine trees, and roughly 2100ft until the next house. Between a berm and those factors I'm comfortable.

" />
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're pine. You'll probably have trouble giving them away. Lazy fuckers won't even go cut their own free firewood anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.zillow.com will do it.
Just zoom in a bit.

Looking at my property lines, they are accurate.
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They're pine. You'll probably have trouble giving them away. Lazy fuckers won't even go cut their own free firewood anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been advised not to use them for fire wood because of the sap and how it builds up in chimneys and causes fires. I don't know, but not a chance I want to take.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Google "web soil survey"

You can draw out an area, plus zoom in or out to also show what you want.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#19]
how in the world can google show property lines?  Some deed descriptions I've seen reference a chestnut stump, 18 chains from a barb wire fence, etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've been advised not to use them for fire wood because of the sap and how it builds up in chimneys and causes fires. I don't know, but not a chance I want to take.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All wood does this.  Use properly seasoned wood, and don't burn the fire too cool too often, and it'll be fine.  For occasional use, get it cleaned once a year with a CSL, and every few years with an actual brushing.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
how in the world can google show property lines?  Some deed descriptions I've seen reference a chestnut stump, 18 chains from a barb wire fence, etc.
View Quote

I used the county GIS server. The image above are the lines according to the plat provided by the county.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
It doesn't look like they are showing ALL the property lines.  Only the ones that have been clearly defined on a relatively recent basis.

My neighbor's lines don't show up.  Mine do, but my lot was enlarged in the last 15 years.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#23]
GIS or a Parcel ID map?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Here in GA the county tax assessors office has that online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top