Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2013 3:58:50 PM EDT

Tonight's featured avatar belongs to the team member, 6winchester2 - a life member and team member of the site since 2004.

Now, tonight's avatar is one that probably only the old folks - the really old folks will recognize.  It's from the television show, Have Gun - Will Travel starring Richard Boone as Paladin, a gun for hire.  It aired from 1957 to 1963 with a total of 225 episodes made.

The opening scene would feature a close up on Paladin's sixgun along with his trademark knight on the holster usually followed by a brief bit of dialogue about the coming episode.

As a way to make sure you understood his line of work, he carried a unique business card.

Below is a full episode of one of the shows if you're interested in seeing what an old black and white western looks like.  If you click to the last 30 seconds of the clip, you can hear a brief portion of the Paladin ballad.

....and now you know.  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Previously featured avatars:

Maccrage / Substandard / 4v50 / Vengarr / Wwace / Amos1909 / BillythePoet / Bradders / StonerStudent / Skebe / Viator / Limaxray / P806 / Extorris / Raven /
Powelligator / Kbad / Compass / Timthemedic / Armatus / Fury_58

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Howdy folks.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Just killin it! I like this one, a lot!
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Another great one!

I had a Paladin wallet with one of his business cards as a kid in 50's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember the Omega Man avatars
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Paladin.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Howdy folks.

View Quote

Man - you don't waste any time!

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]

And I guess that makes me really old.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
"Paladin" was one of my favorites.

from Wikipedia  :

He served on three ships in the Pacific during World War II, seeing combat as an aviation ordnanceman and gunner on TBM Avenger torpedo bombers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
From the verbal beginning from some of his serious "Just point an shoot in a room this crowded you are bound to hit someone". Loved that show still try to catch it when I break early in the day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I am guilty of being a huge fan of HG - WT, even though it is actually before my time.

The fictional character of Paladin was a West Point graduate who had served as a Union Army officer in the Civil War, and became a professional gunfighter and "Knight Errant" in the mid to late
1870s when the series was set.  Paladin travelled about the west to oppose evil men and champion the underdog, sometimes working for free when downtrodden people couldn't afford to pay
him.

I own two autographs from Richard Boone, which are displayed in my gun room.  On the left, in the distressed wood frame, is him as "Paladin the Gunfighter," and on the right, in the fancy blue frame,
is "Paladin the Society Gentleman" as he was portrayed at the start of most episodes, in the fashionable Hotel Carlton in San Francisco (that's late actor Kam Tong beside him, who played the bellhop
"Hey Boy").

I also own Johnny Western's autograph (the man who wrote "The Ballad of Paladin" and appeared in a 1958 episode of the show), which he personalized to me.  Johnny Western was a good friend
of Johnny Cash and did a lot of work with him.  Western is still alive and lives in Arizona.

My Colt Defender (which at the moment is sitting right next to me) also pays homage to Richard Boone, with pewter "Chess Knight" grip medallions.

Richard Boone, the son of an attorney, was a direct lineal descendant of frontiersman Daniel Boone.  He worked on oil fields and also as a boxer as a young man, and served as a gunner/ordnanceman on Navy
dive bombers in the Pacific in World War II.

He was a helluva man, in the mold of John Wayne.

He left us, too soon, in 1981.  RIP, Dick.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Watched re-runs as a kid,good show,good avatar.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#14]
My dad loved that show.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, I am guilty of being a huge fan of HG - WT, even though it is actually before my time.

The fictional character of Paladin was a West Point graduate who had served as a Union Army officer in the Civil War, and became a professional gunfighter and "Knight Errant" in the mid to late
1870s when the series was set.  Paladin travelled about the west to oppose evil men and champion the underdog, sometimes working for free when downtrodden people couldn't afford to pay
him.

I own two autographs from Richard Boone, which are displayed in my gun room.  On the left, in the distressed wood frame, is him as "Paladin the Gunfighter," and on the right, in the fancy blue frame,
is "Paladin the Society Gentleman" as he was portrayed at the start of most episodes, in the fashionable Hotel Carlton in San Francisco (that's late actor Kam Tong beside him, who played the bellhop
"Hey Boy").

<a href="http://s219.photobucket.com/user/omega62/media/GR1_zpsbd8adf86.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/omega62/GR1_zpsbd8adf86.jpg</a>

I also own Johnny Western's autograph (the man who wrote "The Ballad of Paladin" and appeared in a 1958 episode of the show), which he personalized to me.  Johnny Western was a good friend
of Johnny Cash and did a lot of work with him.  Western is still alive and lives in Arizona.

My Colt Defender (which at the moment is sitting right next to me) also pays homage to Richard Boone, with pewter "Chess Knight" grip medallions.

<a href="http://s219.photobucket.com/user/omega62/media/PDMP_zps0faea46b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/omega62/PDMP_zps0faea46b.jpg</a>

Richard Boone, the son of an attorney, was a direct lineal descendant of frontiersman Daniel Boone.  He worked on oil fields and also as a boxer as a young man, and served as a gunner/ordnanceman on Navy
dive bombers in the Pacific in World War II.

He was a helluva man, in the mold of John Wayne.

He left us, too soon, in 1981.  RIP, Dick.

<a href="http://s219.photobucket.com/user/omega62/media/Paladin.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/omega62/Paladin.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's pretty cool!

For my money, the one scene that always comes to mind when I think of Richard Boone is this scene from Big Jake:

He was an excellent bad guy.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]
And the kids sang the Paladin theme in the movie "Stand by Me".

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 5:33:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Morning bumpage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top