User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To be more accurate, she saw an SUV with a crying child inside.  She then went to her apartment, woke her roommate, and checked the Amber Alert message.  There's no way to say in this instance that the screeching alert was any more effective than if it was sent as a normal text.  And honestly, who sees a crying child alone in a vehicle and then leaves?  

I don't think anyone is bitching about receiving a message so much as they're bitching about having their phone unnaturally screech at them at 1:00 AM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read about this in the paper this morning.

Did you know that as annoying as the alert is, it worked?

A young lady got the alert, recognized the vehicle and the child was safely returned to her family.

To be more accurate, she saw an SUV with a crying child inside.  She then went to her apartment, woke her roommate, and checked the Amber Alert message.  There's no way to say in this instance that the screeching alert was any more effective than if it was sent as a normal text.  And honestly, who sees a crying child alone in a vehicle and then leaves?  

I don't think anyone is bitching about receiving a message so much as they're bitching about having their phone unnaturally screech at them at 1:00 AM.

The article I read, in the Charlotte Observer said that she saw the vehicle and recognized it from the message she received on her phone.

So who knows what actually happened?  Point is it worked.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Arfcom, where we bitch and whine about the manhunt in Boston because we were told to stay in our homes while the "authorities" did the search.  Then, we bitch and whine when we get some sort of public alert in the middle of the night for something where the public is still asked to help.

I guess the arf militia concept wold work just fine for the next manhunt, but don't bother us unless during business hours, and definitely not on weekends.
View Quote

Your comment is disingenuous and your arf-racism is showing.

Waking people up at 3:00 am for an Amber Alert is hurting the system not helping it.

Confining people to their home was likewise counterproductive and a violation of civil rights.

In both cases, the government needs to reexamine the situation and try to come up with something actually effective.

As a starter, you can't confine the audible alert to your waking hours.  The thing could be set for silent alert during your sleeping hours and you would see it when you wake up and possibly act on the information when you leave the house.

This problem was created by those who created it, not by arfcomers expressing reasonable and productive critique.

It is reasonable to assume that you are intelligent to critique the system and improve it as done in bold.  You chose to unproductively chastise the widely common opinions of arfcommers instead.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Amber Alerts have been ruined by non-custodial parent "kidnappings".  They've become like car alarms, and nobody pays real attention any more.  Save them for "real" kidnappings, in my opinion.
View Quote

I agree.  Harris county/Houston area got these so frequently, I had to turn them off.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So much for the "worthless intervention."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A young lady got the alert, recognized the vehicle and the child was safely returned to her family.

People aren't griping so much about the actual alert as much as its delivery. While I'm sure that there are some people, including some in this thread, that genuinely don't care at all, most people don't mind the actual alert. However, waking people up at 0300 doesn't make the Amber Alert system any more effective, and just causes people to ignore or turn them off.

Did you actually read the thread, or just cruise right on by on your high horse so you could look down on everyone else?

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

People aren't griping so much about the actual alert as much as its delivery. While I'm sure that there are some people, including some in this thread, that genuinely don't care at all, most people don't mind the actual alert. However, waking people up at 0300 doesn't make the Amber Alert system any more effective, and just causes people to ignore or turn them off.

Did you actually read the thread, or just cruise right on by on your high horse so you could look down on everyone else?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perfect.  And I agree entirely.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I did read the thread, every post.

I understand the complaints about the method of alert and the time it came.

However, bad things happen at all hours of the day and night, and in the case of a missing child time it is important to get the word out as quickly as possible.

Would this be an effective tool if they waited 'till say 8am so as not to wake anyone?

For those that have kids I ask, would you want the authorities to wait 'till it was convenient to the general population to trigger the alert?

I'm going to guess you'd want the alert issued immediately, no matter how people it woke up at 3am.

My only point was the system worked, even though it pissed a bunch of people off, and it seems to need refinement, no doubt.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The article I read, in the Charlotte Observer said that she saw the vehicle and recognized it from the message she received on her phone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, you simply have no way of knowing if the shrieking Amber Alert message was any more effective than a normal text message, but you have ample evidence that the system as it works now is simply off-putting to a large number of people and consequently will be less effective in the future.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Again, you simply have no way of knowing if the shrieking Amber Alert message was any more effective than a normal text message, but you have ample evidence that the system as it works now is simply off-putting to a large number of people and consequently will be less effective in the future.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, what we know is that without the amber alert message, that child would likely still be missing, as the girl who saw it credits the message with causing her to notify authorities.

This cats aside the absurd strawman that people need to go actively looking for the missing kid in order for it to be of value.  It casts aside the ridiculous notion that not having "a chance to read or write down the information" makes it "worthless."

All you are left with is the weak theory that the volume of the alert might cause people to not allow them... which, as this shows, was not the case and is clearly not the case even for those bitching in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, what we know is that without the amber alert message, that child would likely still be missing, as the girl who saw it credits the message with causing her to notify authorities.

This cats aside the absurd strawman that people need to go actively looking for the missing kid in order for it to be of value.  It casts aside the ridiculous notion that not having "a chance to read or write down the information" makes it "worthless."

All you are left with is the weak theory that the volume of the alert might cause people to not allow them... which, as this shows, was not the case and is clearly not the case even for those bitching in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She saw the kid alone and crying in the back of a Suburban.  Dear God, without that shrill Amber Alert in the middle of the night, who knows how long the kid would have been there?  I mean, as normal as it is to see an abandoned child alone in a car in August, who would have thought anything odd about this situation?

I'll spell it out again - there is NO evidence that the obnoxious alert did ANYTHING other than what a normal text message would have achieved.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've only been in NC for two months and this is the first time I have ever heard my phone make that godawful noise.  Don't know how much it has been used in the past.  If I had been here longer and it had happened before, I would have shut it off as well.  When my iphone and BB go crazy at the same time with no real option of changing it to a normal ring tone, yes, I shut it off.   Not a fan of freakishly loud noises when I don't expect them.

Not against the push alerts over the cell network.  I see it as a decent use of the technology.  The way it is pushed needs tweaking.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Apparently this happened pretty close to me. My wife's phone woke us up; mine has Amber Alerts turned off.

I seriously thought we were being nuked, with how obnoxious the emergency alert tone was.

Sad it woke so many people up. The system does need some refinement. On the other hand I'm glad the kiddo was found.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

However, bad things happen at all hours of the day and night, and in the case of a missing child time it is important to get the word out as quickly as possible.

Would this be an effective tool if they waited 'till say 8am so as not to wake anyone?

For those that have kids I ask, would you want the authorities to wait 'till it was convenient to the general population to trigger the alert?

I'm going to guess you'd want the alert issued immediately, no matter how people it woke up at 3am.

My only point was the system worked, even though it pissed a bunch of people off, and it seems to need refinement, no doubt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you dense?

It would be an effective tool if they simply sent it out like a text message, instead of a screaming alert. People who are awake will now know. People who are asleep aren't suddenly going to get up and start looking for a missing child.

THAT is the point.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh yea, I turned that shit off within 3 weeks of getting my iPhone.

I got two of them and both were children who were "abducted" by their own fathers.  The information knew the name of the abductor, the car make, model and plate #.

9 out 10 times, it's a child custody battle with the mother making Amber Alerts for legal leverage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a massive difference between seeing a car on the road and jumping out of bed to patrol your AO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#15]

if one more dumbass comes in here to tell us we should be forced to have this shit on our phone I will lose my fucking mind

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

if one more dumbass comes in here to tell us we should be forced to have this shit on our phone I will lose my fucking mind

View Quote

We should keep these alerts from being disabled.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't fucking care. its not my fucking problem. Its not my kid, I'm not a cop, so its not my fucking responsiablity. getting woken up at 4 fucking oclock in the morning because some brat's dad took off with him is not my concern.

yeah that shit is off on my phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not defending the Amber alert system. But it's often several hours after the child goes missing that the alert is issued. So it's entirely possible that the child is 150 miles away.

I remember one that was issued for Tennessee and the child was found in Georgia by someone who had received the Amber alert.

I don't fucking care. its not my fucking problem. Its not my kid, I'm not a cop, so its not my fucking responsiablity. getting woken up at 4 fucking oclock in the morning because some brat's dad took off with him is not my concern.

yeah that shit is off on my phone.

lawl
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Too late....

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah turn that Amber Alert shit off.  I mean, its just some fucking kid that's been kidnapped or taken without permission.  I'm sure that fucking kid deserved it and isn't living in pure terror before being possibly raped and murdered.  Yeah what the fuck, it ain't my fucking kid.  I don't want some fucking squealing noise from my precious fucking iPhone interrupting me watching porn, gaming, drinking or sleeping.  I gots more fucking important things to do than be looking out for some fucking kid!!11!!!!

You fuckers are amazing.  
View Quote

I simply don't give a fuck. Too much shit goes on in the world for me to care about all of it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, according to one of the poster's in this thread, your only point is completely wrong.  The system didn't work at all.

The person who discovered and reported the child did so because she saw the child crying.

The person who made the discovery wasn't actually aware of the alert and probably didn't hear it because she probably turned it off a long time ago like everyone else.j

Your can stamp your feet and be all hard headed and self righteous about sending out alerts that everyone has turned off.

The proper thing is to be an adult and fix the system.  If you want to fix the system, the phones could be set so the alerts are only audible in a time frame of the user's choosing.  They would then get the alerts when they are awake instead of getting turning them off completely.

But one thing is sure, people should have the option of setting a time or turning the alerts off completely.  You don't make an effective alert system by making a system people hate and resent for good reason.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Are you dense?

It would be an effective tool if they simply sent it out like a text message, instead of a screaming alert. People who are awake will now know. People who are asleep aren't suddenly going to get up and start looking for a missing child.

THAT is the point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you dense?

THAT is the point.

Wait a minute.  Are you suggesting that we use our brains and common sense to fix a broken system so that it works more efficiently instead of grand standing and shrieking about how everyone else in the world hates little children and unicorns?

We have some fine Pelosi, Reid, Schumer, Obama impersonations going on, but they got nothing on the grand standing skills of the gun grabbers.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I use the Do Not Disturb mode of my iPhone at night, scheduled from 11pm to 7am. A few people are in my VIP list and they can ring the phone, but texts make no noise.

I sleep pretty heavy, but I don't think my phone made a sound when I got the alert. It sits on the nightstand right by my ear too. I read it this am.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got an Amber Alert the other day, and while I don't mind getting them, I do mind the freaking shrill of the audible alert.  I went into settings to see if I could find something not so "Emergency Broadcast System death tone", and see all the different emergency alert types my phone can receive.  There are 4 listed with one of them being "Presidentail alerts".  Guess which one I cannot disable?  That's right, the one from our herpaderp President.  I guess that is how he plans to declare Marshal Law in a few years, notify me that elections are suspended, and he's coming for my guns.

I'm on a Verizon Galaxy S3.  Anyone else not able to disable Presidental Alerts?
View Quote

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1829681
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I sleep pretty heavy, but I don't think my phone made a sound when I got the alert. It sits on the nightstand right by my ear too. I read it this am.
View Quote

You're been sleeping for two days?  Jealous I am.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Good thing I still run ios5, so I don't get any of this dumb shit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#26]
One of the latest software alert instituted that and the default is on. Got me a 3am for a storm alert.

The only thing you can't turn off is the National Emergency Alert/Presidential Emergency Message. It's bullshit and it makes one wonder what the .gov has phone companies installing in our phones especially in light of the NSA scandal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

At 1am last night, both my and my wife's phone made a super loud shriek and it scared the crap out of us.

It was an Amber Alert for an area over 150 miles away. WTF?

What doesn't make sense is the alert message appears on the screen but as you touch the phone, the message disappears is not stored on the phone anywhere. You don't get a chance to read or write down the information.

Worthless intervention into my peace and quiet.
View Quote

Betcha wouldn't think so if your kid had been snatched...

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, its stroke inducingly loud.  Got one in my truck one day while it was hooked up to the bluetooth I thought my head was going to explode or some shit it was so fucking loud.  I turned it off about 2 seconds after figuring out what it was
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Ones around here are usually for some old senile fart who took off in his Buick and never returned. What do they expect us to do? pit maneuver every car doing 40 in the left lane with their blinker on and ask if they're lost?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At 1am last night, both my and my wife's phone made a super loud shriek and it scared the crap out of us.

What doesn't make sense is the alert message appears on the screen but as you touch the phone, the message disappears is not stored on the phone anywhere. You don't get a chance to read or write down the information.

The Sandy Hook parents say the same thing. I still don't care.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I use the Do Not Disturb mode of my iPhone at night, scheduled from 11pm to 7am. A few people are in my VIP list and they can ring the phone, but texts make no noise.

View Quote
Your post was useful.

I need to look into this.  I don't want it to make email noise at when I am sleeping.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a little late to the party with that nonsense, Chief.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apples to shoehorns much?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got yer chief swingin'
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Is there any way to get the alert sound, and most importantly, sound level, as the alarm clock sound?!?

That would be great.  If they made an alarm clock that punched you in the face, I would buy it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Settings

Notifications

Scroll to bottom

Amber alerts > off
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yup.  High Point is an close to 2 hours away.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was an Amber Alert for an area over 150 miles away.  WTF?  

What doesn't make sense is the alert message appears on the screen but as you touch the phone, the message disappears is not stored on the phone anywhere.  You don't get a chance to read or write down the information.  

Y'all got that, too?

Pissed me the fuck off.

Yup.  High Point is an close to 2 hours away.  

I live in High Point, I didnt get it.  I have them turned off on my and my wife's phones
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#39]
If you have a rooted Droid this will get rid of the whole works -

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/149275-emergency-alerts-3.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#40]
yep gotta turn that shit off
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same emotional argument.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same emotional argument.

And also completely devoid of any ideas to actually address and fix the problem.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

And also completely devoid of any ideas to actually address and fix the problem.  

View Quote

My solution is to disable the alerts all together.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top