Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2013 5:06:29 PM EDT

Tonight's featured avatar belongs to the member, P806 - another long term member of the site since 2002!

If you're not familiar with the characters in his avatar, it's probably because you are too young.  Those two figures are Gumby and Pokey, two characters created by Art Clokey back in the early 1950s.

After finishing film school, Art Clokey created his first film Gumbasia where he first experimented with clay modeling in film.  You can see it's influence in his later works.

Later, he was encouraged to create characters to fit with his style of filmmaking.  So, he created Gumby and Pokey and made the first of three pilot episodes of which one was accepted for debut on The Howdy Doody show.  A number of episodes were made and eventually in 1957, Art Clokey was given his own show.  Gumby had a long run in which a grand total of 233 episodes were created including this one:

You probably have noticed that this isn't quite Spongebob Squarepants, but it was revolutionary for its time (no pun intended).  

As a young lad, I once received a bendable Gumby and Pokey as a gift.  I was amazed with it at the time and remember just staring at them.  I was dumbfounded by the fact that Gumby was green and Pokey was orange.  You see, at the time, the Reno household had a black & white television set - so I had no idea of their actual colors.

In later years, Eddie Murphy reintroduced the character of Gumby on Saturday Night Live into the public view.  Of course, Eddie's version was a cigar smoking, profane and rude version - but it was fun to watch too.

....and now you know.  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Previously featured avatars:

Maccrage
Substandard
4v50
Vengarr
Wwace
Amos1909
BillythePoet
Bradders
StonerStudent
Skebe
Viator
Limaxray

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Loved gumby as a kid
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
woohooo!
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
woohooo!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I love these threads...but,

I am still not sure why Gumbie is slapping Pokeys ass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the interest of protecting my inner child, I chose to overlook that aspect of his avatar.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Cause Gumbie is fucking Pokey doggy style, dammit.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]
What is your criteria for selecting your next avatar to showcase?
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Gumby was awesome!
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It has to be something that needs an explanation.  In other words, I wouldn't do the Gadsden flag because most here are already familiar with it.  I also steer clear of those that don't have a story.  Take my avatar for instance, there's no story behind it - just a funny image.

The ones that jump out at me are basically the ones that make me look at it and wonder what it is - or perhaps why someone would choose that as an avatar.  There is also an advantage to being a prolific poster or a member that's been here awhile and that's because I have a greater opportunity to see their avatar.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It has to be something that needs an explanation.  In other words, I wouldn't do the Gadsden flag because most here are already familiar with it.  I also steer clear of those that don't have a story.  Take my avatar for instance, there's no story behind it - just a funny image.

The ones that jump out at me are basically the ones that make me look at it and wonder what it is - or perhaps why someone would choose that as an avatar.  There is also an advantage to being a prolific poster or a member that's been here awhile and that's because I have a greater opportunity to see their avatar.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, there is a bit of a story behind it. (IIRC) It's something your mom sent you via email a number of years ago.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to watch that all the time.

I had a Gumby hanging from my rearview mirror for a while.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But, there is a bit of a story behind it. (IIRC) It's something your mom sent you via email a number of years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but that's not really enough of a story.  It's the same if someone has a pic of their child as their avatar.  Sure, the story is "this is so-and-so's kid".  There's not enough behind it.  That's not saying that their avatar isn't good - it just doesn't fit what I have been looking for.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Good one as always, J_R
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They can't have Tim Conway in their avatar?

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Gumby ruled at the house, it gave the folks some much needed quiet time from the four of us curtain climbers.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I could never get into Gumby when I was little. I found it a little bit creepy for some reason. Still, he's a by-God cultural icon.

Quoted:
View Quote

He's just... testing the plasticity of the clay. Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, but that's not really enough of a story.  It's the same if someone has a pic of their child as their avatar.  Sure, the story is "this is so-and-so's kid".  There's not enough behind it.  That's not saying that their avatar isn't good - it just doesn't fit what I have been looking for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...cut...

Ok, if you are going to force my hand....
The "off the record" story I heard is that your mom bumped into Alan Turing, a total stranger, on the sidewalk one day.  He placed his left hand on her shoulder, and shook her right hand saying, "One day:  You will have a son.  Everybody will have their own computer.  Albert Gore will invent the internet.  And, this will be your son's avatar."  As he was shaking her hand, she realized that Turing had placed an odd 3.5" square plastic disk with an odd metal springy-thing into her hand.  Fast forward decades into the future, and here we are....

Still think your avatar doesn't have enough of a story behind it?

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
do LCPL4ever next

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The "off the record" story I heard is that your mom bumped into Alan Turing, a total stranger, on the sidewalk one day.  He placed his left hand on her shoulder, and shook her right hand saying, "One day:  You will have a son.  Everybody will have their own computer.  Albert Gore will invent the internet.  And, this will be your son's avatar."  As he was shaking her hand, she realized that Turing had placed an odd 3.5" square plastic disk with an odd metal springy-thing into her hand.  Fast forward decades into the future, and here we are....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...cut...

Well....yeah, I guess there's that then.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Gumby was almost as lame as Davey and Goliath...............almost.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shun the disbeliever...SHUN!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Art Clokey, the creator of Gumby later went on to create Davey and Goliath.

Fun Facts

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Two years ago on Halloween, I was dressed up as a goth and I ended up punching a guy dressed up as Gumby because he slapped my ex-wife's ass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
do LCPL4ever next

View Quote

Uh....no.

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Earlier episodes also had two characters called Blockheads who were the bad guys
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Earlier episodes also had two characters called Blockheads who were the bad guys
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Haha, brilliant!
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I can't WAIT for him to try to figure out what mine is...

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#31]
this was my gumby toy as a kid

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#32]
These threads always entertain. Nice job J_R!
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Good job Johnny.

Another notable write up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Cool thread.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I had a Gumby toy when I was a kid.  

He was eaten by the vacuum.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had a Gumby toy when I was a kid.  

He was eaten by the vacuum.
View Quote

I played with mine until the plastic on him cracked the the bare wires started to poke out.

It definitely is the type of toy that wouldn't be allowed today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top