Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:35:08 PM EDT
So thought we had a decent neighbor, they spent yesterday and the day before moving out, was almost sorry to see them go, no signs of anyone at the house since. Yesterday evening wife notices their older dog is still in the back yard but the puppy's gone. She checks again while I'm at work today, knocks on the door to see if maybe everyone didn't move out, nope, these f'ing d-bags abandoned their dog! Took it some food and water after work, it had none, and was just sitting on the porch pawing at the door, poor thing was scared of me. Shoulda known something was up, its been dropping weight like crazy lately and looked like its face got burned or something, whole side is raw.

So Arfcom, what do you do?
I'd take it in, but we already have two of our own and no room. Looks like its probably in for a one way trip to the animal shelter , how long should we wait before reporting it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
must be a way to tract the fools that left the dog,
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Taking in that dog will give you 1000000 karma points.  It's the right thing to do.  It's often hard to do what is right, which is why it is so often not done.

I'll put my money where my mouth is.  I'll paypal you $20 if you take the dog in, to help cover expenses.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You should, take it in as a foster if you can, find someone else to foster it, find a local rescue to find it a home. Good on you for feeding it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taking in that dog will give you 1000000 karma points.  It's the right thing to do.  It's often hard to do what is right, which is why it is so often not done.

I'll put my money where my mouth is.  I'll paypal you $20 if you take the dog in, to help cover expenses.
View Quote

I am more of a cat guy then a dag guy, but I will match this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck, that is sad.

And, yes, I would save that dog before I would save your neighbors, their kids, and any of their extended family.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If it comes down to bringing him to a shelter, which I hope it doesnt. Make sure its a no kill shelter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Have any friends who would take a dag in?
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll do $20.00 to help you and that old dog out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you post pics of him.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]

I will do whatever it takes to help this poor dog.  Please take the pup in for the night and I will get in touch with you tomorrow.

And I will pay for the dog's care too.  I will also pay to have the dog boarded.  Just bestow some kindness on this poor animal tonight.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Could maybe snap a pic of her tomorrow, its a boxer or pit or some such. It's not the expense that's keeping us from taking her in, but thanks guys, good to know there some decent peple out there.

I wish we could house her, I tend to like most dogs more than most people I meet. Our issues are a tiny house, and the two rescue dogs we already have one of which is old and doesn't socialize well, he still has the occasional issue with our other, last thing we need is dog fights with a new born coming.

Unfortunately don't know too many people in the area, wife's been checking around. Don't now of any no-kill shelters here either, with the irresponsible owners around here its hard to imagine such a place having room.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I will do whatever it takes to help this poor dog.  Please take the pup in for the night and I will get in touch with you tomorrow.

And I will pay for the dog's care too.  I will also pay to have the dog boarded.  Just bestow some kindness on this poor animal tonight.
View Quote

Once again Fluffy Shows his kindness. You are a excellent person.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]

I will pay to have her boarded.  Then we have find a boxer or pit bull rescue organization.  Like I said, whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, please do what Fluffy the Cat suggests.  He has been the hero of several abandoned dog threads.  Let him help you and this unfortunate dog.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm having a hard time of this.  I won't be able to sleep thinking about that poor abandoned dog.  Here I am in my warm bed while that poor pup has no where to go.  I can only imagine the dog's sense of loss and betrayal.

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm having a hard time of this.  I won't be able to sleep thinking about that poor abandoned dog.  Here I am in my warm bed while that poor pup has no where to go.  I can only imagine the dog's sense of loss and betrayal.

View Quote

It's got me pretty wound up. We'll do what we can, and hopefully find a good solution. Sincerely thanks for your offer, I will keep you informed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Karma's gonna be a bitch for those people.

Op, thank you for helping as much as you can. There are rescue operations pretty much everywhere these days. I hope you can find one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe contact Villalobos Rescue Center and see if they can help?
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe cross post this in your HTF..?
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to you and your wife for showing concern for this dog.  I realize you all have your hands full with two rescues and a baby on the way.  

Hope you can find a vet that will board the dog until a home can be found for it.

Thanks again, OP.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's got me pretty wound up. We'll do what we can, and hopefully find a good solution. Sincerely thanks for your offer, I will keep you informed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please at least get the dog secured in an area where it's not going to get sunburnt and has a more comfortable place to sleep. Doesn't need to be in your house. But good on you for giving the dog food and water.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#23]
If you can supply food and water and some sort of shelter until we can organize something here, that would be grateful.  With all the resources we have on this forum, surely we can find a rescue in your area that can take in the dog.  

If you contact animal control, the dog may just end up in a sea of dogs that will likely be euthanized.  

Just some suggestions.  Maybe you can give him/her a dog bed or temporary dog house to have in the yard.  Also, maybe you could contact your vet or local emergency pet hospital to see if they'd be willing to board the dog for a couple days or so until we can figure something out here.  They'll probably scan the dog for a microchip to see who the owner is, but I'd definitely just hope that they'd ignore that.

Just thinking out of the box, but most boarding facilities won't take in a dog unless you have the proper paperwork (shots, vaccinations, etc.) so taking him to boarding facility may not work, that's why I suggested your vet or pet hospital.

Keep us posted.

ETA:  I'm in for $20 as well.  I hate people like that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]
What part of NC are you in?

I work with a few legit 501c3 rescues that have contacts and maybe I can help get the ball rolling.

ETA:  Sorry, I didn't mean to pry if you don't feel comfortable disclosing your location.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#25]

I will pay for the dog's shots, veterinary care and boarding costs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I will pay for the dog's shots, veterinary care and boarding costs.
View Quote

You're a good man.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#27]
the act of kindness will be repaid three fold... I am in for $20 to help...
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I am in for $20 as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:09:52 AM EDT
[#30]
any update on the situation?
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Is this a boxer or boxer mix? My co-worker is a boxer fan. She was talking the other day about possibly getting another dog to replace one that died.

We already have three dogs and a cat and just don't have room. We found one of our dogs starving on the side of the road a few years back. She was skin and bones and had a collar with a lead she'd chewed through. I often wonder if she was abandoned like this.

Good on you OP for caring and for everyone willing to help.

ETA: So the bastards took their pup but left the older dog? It would be great if they could be tracked to their new location and turned in for animal cruelty. Their pup like as not will suffer a similar fate in the future.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If you can supply food and water and some sort of shelter until we can organize something here, that would be grateful.  With all the resources we have on this forum, surely we can find a rescue in your area that can take in the dog.  

If you contact animal control, the dog may just end up in a sea of dogs that will likely be euthanized.  

Just some suggestions.  Maybe you can give him/her a dog bed or temporary dog house to have in the yard.  Also, maybe you could contact your vet or local emergency pet hospital to see if they'd be willing to board the dog for a couple days or so until we can figure something out here.  They'll probably scan the dog for a microchip to see who the owner is, but I'd definitely just hope that they'd ignore that.

Just thinking out of the box, but most boarding facilities won't take in a dog unless you have the proper paperwork (shots, vaccinations, etc.) so taking him to boarding facility may not work, that's why I suggested your vet or pet hospital.

Keep us posted.

ETA:  I'm in for $20 as well.  I hate people like that.
View Quote
This site has rescued and transported dogs across states using relays of members! IF this is something you want to do it is very likely possible

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am in for $20 as well.
View Quote

Ditto
Any news
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#34]

If you could take her to the vet for treatment and shots, I will pay the vet.

And then I would pay to have her boarded at a quality kennel.  I will pay the kennel in advance for a 30 day stay.  And while she's there, we can make arrangements to have her rescued.

And if she needs to be relocated, I will pay for her travel expenses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fluffy, once again you are the best. I do what I can around where I live. My best friend is fostering two 7 week old Ridgebacks that were abandoned on the side of the road. For my retirement until I drop dead I plan on being a non paid volunteer for shelters where ever I may be. The abandoned need all the help and love we can give them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 4:48:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM me if you do it, I'll match the $20
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Jesus Christ there's some good people on here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I will pay to have her boarded.  Then we have find a boxer or pit bull rescue organization.  Like I said, whatever it takes.
View Quote

You are one of the NICEST people I have EVER known!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So thought we had a decent neighbor, they spent yesterday and the day before moving out, was almost sorry to see them go, no signs of anyone at the house since. Yesterday evening wife notices their older dog is still in the back yard but the puppy's gone. She checks again while I'm at work today, knocks on the door to see if maybe everyone didn't move out, nope, these f'ing d-bags abandoned their dog! Took it some food and water after work, it had none, and was just sitting on the porch pawing at the door, poor thing was scared of me. Shoulda known something was up, its been dropping weight like crazy lately and looked like its face got burned or something, whole side is raw.

I'd take it in, but we already have two of our own and no room. Looks like its probably in for a one way trip to the animal shelter , how long should we wait before reporting it?
View Quote

what kind of pooch is it?
edit: did not read all the way through....shoot me some pics mate
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Prolly a foreclosure on the property coming and the neighbors just bailed.
Fine cocksuckers they are for leaving a poor dog to starve on a fucking chain.
Track em down & beat their collective asses

OP.. can ya come up with some kinda dog house for the poor girl?? Hasn't got to be fancy . just some place she can get outa the sun, rain & bugs.
Kudos to all who offered help.. What a great buncha folks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Watch out, or the doggie will grow on you/ the fam and you will have to end up keeping it. My wife found a starving momma dog and her pup in the woods, now I am up to 4 dogs.

Oh well, they are good doggies.
View Quote

4 dogs is just a starter pack.  We have 11 dogs and all are rescues from ghetto town.  The hazards of delivering Meals on Wheels .  

Fluffy, you the man.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#42]

I'm  currently sponsoring a husky in Charlotte, North Carolina and I just paid for his boarding at the Best Friends Boarding kennel.  Anyway, I spoke with the lady there and she would be prepared to board this dog if she has all her shots.

So, OP, if you will take the dog to the vet, I will pay for her shots and her care.  Then we can board the dog at the Best Friends Boarding kennel.

I will pay for her stay for 30 days in advance and then we can get together and rescue her.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Post up some pics! I can try and make room for the little dag. These ass hats needs to be beaten for this!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm  currently sponsoring a husky in Charlotte, North Carolina and I just paid for his boarding at the Best Friends Boarding kennel.  Anyway, I spoke with the lady there and she would be prepared to board this dog if she has all her shots.

So, OP, if you will take the dog to the vet, I will pay for her shots and her care.  Then we can board the dog at the Best Friends Boarding kennel.

I will pay for her stay for 30 days in advance and then we can get together and rescue her.

View Quote

This is fantastic!!!!!  You sir are a gentleman and all the furry animals across the world thank you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What part of NC are you in?

I work with a few legit 501c3 rescues that have contacts and maybe I can help get the ball rolling.

ETA:  Sorry, I didn't mean to pry if you don't feel comfortable disclosing your location.
View Quote

No worries, Winston-Salem
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#47]
I really do not like dogs at all, but I would take this dog in, and find a new home for it.

I would not try to find the former owners, as they would mistreat it again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Trying to get a hold of lovethemutt.org aka stepping stones dog rescue that was recommended to my wife.
Took a better look around now that its daylight. There's a transport crate/kennel in the yard up against the house so the dog has some protection.

It was a rental. I don't wanna see the previous tenants.

To the guy that asked, yep they bred her, evidently sold all but one pup, and now that pup's gone and the older dog is still there. Bout 90% certain its a pit. Gotta get my stupid computer to load my SD.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

1) Foster the dog and work with a rescue shelter to place it.
2) Call the police and report the abandonment. It's animal cruelty and it is a crime.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#50]
One of our rescue dogs growing up had been found locked up in a cattle trailer with no food and water...abandoned.    Lady found him and couldn't keep him, but she worked out a deal with the pound to pay to keep him alive until someone adopted him.  He was an adult, scared of men and solid black so he was there for weeks.  We picked him up and after a few days he got sick with kennel cough.  We nursed him through it, and he was the smartest dog I had as a kid.  Great animal.

If you can't keep him, find a shelter that is either no kill or that will accept donations to keep the pup alive until he finds a good home if you can. There's a loving home out there for him somewhere.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top