Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2001 7:36:46 PM EDT
 No offense to any US airborne vets or active duty, BUT

Dosen't the name FALSCHIRMJAGER just sound really cool or what?
 Screaming Eagles and All Americans are like cool too, but Parachute Hunter is really predatory sounding and intimidating.
 Am I all wet or what?

Chuck

Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The US Airborne servicemen should not take offence.  The name of the Germans is cool, I must agree, but they still lost.  My personal favorite German word is Sturmgawer(sp?) Assult rifle.  Or how about Teufel Hunden (Devil Dogs)
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
 STURMGEWEHR

Translated=Storm Rifle

They sure are a long winded bunch, but you are right. Their names for stuff are just too cool.

Chuck
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
SCHTOPPEMFROMFLOPPEN:
Translated=Bra
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Storm Rifle, Cool.

I have always wanted to learn German.  I need to find some of those cassette tapes that teach you how.

Edited because I need to know how to spell in English first.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
PanzerKamphenWagen=Tank
I always translated "Fallshirmjager" more as "Hunters From The Sky".
BTW, they are still called that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
 SS109,

you may be correct, I took my interpretation of Falschirmjager from the name of the FG-42, which is the Falschirmjager gewehr.
 Or more popularly known as the parachute hunters rifle.

Gewehr
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I trained with a bunch of those lads when I was in the 82nd- pretty squared away.  Those boys could drink an awful lot of Budweiser!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
 "They only operate inside the arctic circle in Northern Sweden"

Those would have to be some seriously hard individuals. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

CHUCKJAEGER
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
 "Put em in a tent with a heater and take their boots and socks" ROTFLMAO, that is a brilliant idea and I bet that it is also thoroughly effective!
 Those Scandinavian types always seemed to be the rough and ready kind of individuals that you would expect to climb the tallest peak in the Arctic circle to build a snowman.
 That is amazing!

Chuck
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Speaking of Scandinavian soldiers, us Finns have a pretty good track record from the last 60 years or so, hell ask any WW2 era Russian soldier if the Finns can hack it during winter. This winter was pretty mild since the -35 C days were scarce, but when the it was -30 C and the wind was 10 km/h it was like  -55 C.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#13]
terve TUUKA, A finn on this board!!!!
I am american but I work for finns---NOKIA----
Man I love Finland..I spent a week there last year----in Salo and in Helsinki--I will have to look you up when I go this year...And you are right about Finns being Hard--Number 1 sniper in
the world is Finnish and those gentlemen definately handled up on the russians...
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#14]
"Parachute Hunters" is pretty cool, but Fallschirmjaegar spoken in the original German sounds nastier.
I think German sounds the nastiest of any language when spoken. One German prince found it so awful he required French to be spoken in his court.
As soldiers, you have to say the Finn's rule!!!
The ability to keep their independence from the Soviet Union is remarkable.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]
My family fought on "that side" during World War Two.  They always reminded me that Deutschland fought for land and the Americans fought for culture... they were both fighting for things that they didn't have. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Panzerkampfwagen translates more as Armor War Vehicle. Their midevel suits of armor are called Panzer.

And yea, the German names for several things is real cool. Luftwaffe just sounds more exciting than Air Force.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top