BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That would be very sad if the cockpit had been a survivable impact but they'd died from smoke inhalation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm surprised the pilots died when the flight deck appears to be intact.

Exactly what I was thinking. Although massive lateral G forces to the body do bad things.

Could have been from smoke.

That would be very sad if the cockpit had been a survivable impact but they'd died from smoke inhalation.

Geez, commercial have oxygen and smoke goggles. I would guess they have no less on freighters?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn doubletap
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
^^ on that note, what if it was low oxygen in the cabin, possibly incapacitating them?
View Quote

No.

iirc FARs have changed since the SD leerjet crash about oxygen masks etc.

The crew would have been unresponsive and the jet would have flown at altitude until it ran out of fuel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No.

The crew would have been unresponsive and the jet would have flown at altitude until it ran out of fuel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^ on that note, what if it was low oxygen in the cabin, possibly incapacitating them?

No.

Even if the autopilot and ILS was set?

At least with the cockpit broken off instead of part of the fireball, they can determine cause of death easily, and the recorders will be instant plug-in to listen to. The instruments should all be readable to show last settings, too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]
This is probably the first time I hear of one their planes going down.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

You need to be close to an airport to intercept the localizer if it was GPS guided it probably would have hit the runway.

At this point with no radio transcripts, or information besides its in a field and the crew is dead, it could be anything, but I still doubt it was hypoxia

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You need to be close to an airport to intercept the localizer if it was GPS guided it probably would have hit the runway.

At this point with no radio transcripts, or information besides its in a field and the crew is dead, it could be anything, but I still doubt it was hypoxia

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Oh, that's right.

But yeah. Wait for the autopsy for bloodstream chemicals/smoke in lungs or not, etc, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#9]
In regards to the earlier terrorism comments.  I seriously doubt terrorists would blow their wads on a cargo plane.  They want passenger planes filled with people.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In regards to the earlier terrorism comments.  I seriously doubt terrorists would blow their wads on a cargo plane.  They want passenger planes filled with people.
View Quote

Yes. The only possibility for terrorists and cargo planes that scares me is if they DO ever get hold of a crude collision nuke. They have a delivery device, since they're suicidal. Just fly an old cargo dog 727 up from Central America, and pop it in midair over a city on approach. Airburst, no missile needed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Oh wow they hit that berm hard. Probably died instantly.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

They lost one in Dubai not too long ago.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#14]
i bet it was a shipment of LiPos.. Damn things just burst into flame..
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The report just came out in July on that. Cargo of lithium batteries lit up in the back.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought it was odd that they were landing on Rwy 18. Usually those guys use 24/6 even with the displaced threshold it has over 10k available. 18/36 is around 7k.

We have had several UPS pilots in our unit, all are accounted for fortunately.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought it was odd that they were landing on Rwy 18. Usually those guys use 24/6 even with the displaced threshold it has over 10k available. 18/36 is around 7k.

View Quote

Ill add to the fire speculation.  Especially with that track someone posted earlier.  5500' rate of descent?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Sharon Wilson, who lives near the airport, said she was in bed before
dawn when an airplane went over her house at what sounded like treetop
level.

The engines were making an odd sound like sputtering, she said.

"It sounded like an airplane had given out of fuel. We thought it was
trying to make it to the airport. But a few minutes later we heard a
loud `boom,'" she said.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Sad. I am always saddened seeing the death of my fellow freight dogs. I know a few guys at UPS ops and air crew.

In regards to the terror, and people discounting it so early, I wouldn't do that. If you all remember they were wanting to attack the US through the cargo inudstry 6-8 years ago with printer cartriges. AQAP took responsibility for the broken up plot. The tango's are persistant people...embassy attacks and the continued then successful attacks on the WTC are only a few of failed then successful attacks..
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How did the jump to conclusions mat go all the way to VX?
View Quote

Because GD is here the Jump to Conclusions Mat intersects with the Jump to Dumbass Map.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ill add to the fire speculation.  Especially with that track someone posted earlier.  5500' rate of descent?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it possible /likely they made a rapid descent due to loss of cabin pressure, then failed to level out or tried to force a landing they weren't quite in position for?

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Just found out that one of the crew lived right around here, and my brother knows the family... sucks.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know folks are going to be upset at the loss of their material goods they've been eagerly anticipating, but there are at least two families out there who's worlds were turned upside down from this event.  The loss of a husband, father, or son isn't something that can be easily adjusted to, if ever.  

Sad.  

View Quote

material things are just that.....material
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Bird strike? Would go with the sound of an engine sputtering.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bird strike? Would go with the sound of an engine sputtering.
View Quote

Very unlikely before daybreak. Bird activity is pretty low this time of year in this area also.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is it possible /likely they made a rapid descent due to loss of cabin pressure, then failed to level out or tried to force a landing they weren't quite in position for?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didnt declare an IFE in either case. FYI there's only GPS and LOC approaches to 18. No ILS.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't know why this story isn't bigger news.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not a "passenger" jet I"m guessing.  And just as many died as on the plane flown from Captain Sum Ting Wong a month ago or so in CA.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#29]

This picture shows, in part, the forces to which the pilot's bodies were subjected.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see how a fire could develop and these guys don't report it over the radio at any point.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Deepest condolences to family & friends of the crew.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

It was all over the national shows this morning. Not sure what outlets you were watching.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Fuel issue is what I heard. I don't know shit about aviation I do know there is no such thing as coasting on fumes in a 767.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Fuel issue is what I heard. I don't know shit about aviation I do know there is no such thing as coasting on fumes in a 767.
View Quote

I think there is such a thing, similar to Captain Sully's maneuvers.  You just need a good landing spot in range of the "coast" is all.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't see how a fire could develop and these guys don't report it over the radio at any point.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless they had all of their attention focused on controlling a rapidly-developing situation. Aviate, navigate, communicate, in that order. Everything is speculation. From what I understand, that kind of brisk descent happens with late clearances and pilots who don't need to worry about upsetting passengers.

Whether it was CFIT, mechanical failure, or intentional, the immediate result is the same for those pilots and their loved ones.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sure?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I've worked that area. It's quite depopulated since the Airport Authority took it over.

For just this reason, evidently.

Good place to have a plane crash if it has to.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Been out there all morning. The plane didn't hit any homes its possible some debris hit around
some houses but how it got there is speculation. It seemed to have plenty of fuel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hmm..I hope none of my out-going ammo shipments were on that plane......

edit:
Yes, I am worried for people as well.
Having spent just about every day this last week shipping stuff out via UPS, it was, I admit, my first thought upon hearing of the crash
View Quote

I admit, It was my first thought too, for the first split second. Ammo goes by train/truck (ground) only.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Deepest condolences to family & friends of the crew.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Here are some aerial photos.

ETA:

Weather at the time of the accident:

METAR text:  KBHM 141053Z 01003KT 10SM OVC070 23/22 A2999 RMK AO2 SLP146 T02330222  
Conditions at:  KBHM (BIRMINGHAM , AL, US) observed 1053 UTC 14 August 2013  
Temperature:  23.3°C (74°F)  
Dewpoint:  22.2°C (72°F) [RH = 94%]  
Pressure (altimeter):  29.99 inches Hg (1015.7 mb)
[Sea-level pressure: 1014.6 mb]  
Winds:  from the N (10 degrees) at 3 MPH (3 knots; 1.6 m/s)  
Visibility:  10 or more miles (16+ km)  
Ceiling:  7000 feet AGL  
Clouds:  overcast cloud deck at 7000 feet AGL  
Weather:  no significant weather observed at this time  
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Damn, they almost made it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#45]
pilot was part of Jack Daniels family?

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Airbus.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

No chance
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

At least with the cockpit broken off instead of part of the fireball, they can determine cause of death easily, and the recorders will be instant plug-in to listen to. The instruments should all be readable to show last settings, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

If it still had analog instruments, they typically go to zeros when power is lost. Obviously with digital integrated avionics the same thing happens.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No chance
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No chance

Um...

The Gimli Glider is the nickname of an Air Canada aircraft that was involved in an unusual aviation incident. On 23 July 1983, Air Canada Flight 143, a Boeing 767-233 jet, ran out of fuel at an altitude of 41,000 feet (12,000 m) MSL, about halfway through its flight originating in Montreal from Ottawa to Edmonton. The crew was able to glide the aircraft safely to an emergency landing at Gimli Industrial Park Airport, a former Royal Canadian Air Force base in Gimli, Manitoba.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Quoted:
If it still had analog instruments, they typically go to zeros when power is lost. Obviously with digital integrated avionics the same thing happens.

Meant more breakers, flap position switches, throttles...shouldn't have said "instruments".
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top