Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2013 8:05:05 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting a cowboy hat for flyfishing / camping / weather protection / sun protection.  I spend alot of time outdoors and I'd like some advice on different companies to look at.  I'm aware of Stetson and some other brands and Ive also spent a little time on O'Farrel's but they're way out of my price range.  I've never worn a cowboy hat before so I don't know much about them...   any help is much appreciated.

I think I like this shape / style of hat right here:  

Price range is around $75-$300

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Sheplers is good place to start, plus they have a couple stores located in CO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to any western wear store and they should have a hat section and a shaper. They should be able to explain the differences to you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
does that one come pre-sweated?
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a growing interest in CAS so I need to get one also...

I want one like this

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe it comes "distressed"
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, like faded, torn jeans.  You gots to look the role.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

i think its a 'distressed' hat...  I just liked the shape of it

btw, that hat starts at $1000 so its a fkn nice hat
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#8]
<-------------  

Resistol is as good as Stetson without a name markup.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
<-------------  

Resistol is as good as Stetson without a name markup.
View Quote

gonna check them out then.. thx man.

ETA: looks like they sell em' on sheplers starting around 25-30 bucks.. not bad
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Hats are rated by quality of felt: 3x felt = lower end.  10x felt=very high end. Most common hats are 4x.

http://www.resistolhat.com/collections.php?cat_id=65

You buy that hat based on crown height/shape, brim width, and color you like. The hat then can be steamed/shaped into the style you want.
The brim can always be trimmed if need be.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, it's just a fkn expensive hat

But I suppose that someone that would buy a $1000 cowboy hat probably doesn't do much of their own sweating.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been pining for a resistol for awhile now.    just haven't gotten around to it...
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hats are rated by quality of felt: 3x felt = lower end.  10x felt=very high end. Most common hats are 4x.

View Quote

This, Mine's a 4x Beaver that's a model that's no longer made. Use it as a tool, not a fashion statement, they work surprisingly well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But I suppose that someone that would buy a $1000 cowboy hat probably doesn't do much of their own sweating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

like I said, I liked the shape of it...  and its way out of my budget as mentioned in the OP
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#15]
my $0.02 cents would be that you'll need 2 hats here in CO.

I'd get a good Resistol straw hat for summer months (like so) and a felt hat for cooler months.

(I say this as it's 68 degress at 11 AM on August 13 )
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a growing interest in CAS so I need to get one also...

I want one like this

http://thebad.net/galleries/1966a1.jpg
View Quote

I read that first as "close air support" and was thinking "why the fuck?" then "man, that's kinda badass".

But oh yeah, the other CAS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd get a good Resistol straw hat for summer months (like so) and a felt hat for cooler months.

View Quote

I agree with this.
I have two Resistol straw hats and a felt "dress" hat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Whatever you do, get a fur felt hat. They are naturally water proof. Pick whatever style you like.

ETA: I got a Bailey fur felt cowboy hat for dirt cheap on ebay. I took a photo of it to photoshop into my avatar (see avatar). I usually don't wear hats, but wear this one when it is raining outside or I am camping/hiking/hunting.

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This used to be the case, but now all hat companies have their own rating.

A 10X Stetson may not be the same quality as a 10X Resitol.

EDIT: I have a Resitol straw/shantung for summer and a Brown felt American Hat Co. for winter. Also a Black felt Resitol for winter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one that looks like this

It's a Resistol - Ty Murray style...

If you're going out fishing/campin you might want something with a little more ventilation. Or get a straw hat.

[black] Felt hats tend to get hot in the summer....Although being in Colorado I doubt it's that hot. We've been hitting triple digit temps for a while now.

The way it goes, it's supposed to be Felt for the period between Labor Day and Memorial Day, Straw/other outside of that (when it's hot).
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might surprise you how some of these people around here act. We had a bunch strike it rich with gas wells over the last 10-15yrs. They buy brand new King Ranch diesels and treat them the same as their 30 year old farm trucks. The kids all work the cows wearing $200 jeans and 10x hats.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

right on man...   def. lookin at that resistol brand now and not a bad idea w/ the 2 hat concept

btw.. I usually treat everything I buy with the principal of 'buy nice or buy twice' so im always willing to spend a little extra coin to get the longevity and quality

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Just bought a Resistol Lufkin B yesterday

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#24]
There are tons of good deals on Stetsons, Resistols, etc on eBay.  There are two kinds of felts, wool and fur .  Fur are more expensive, but will hold their shape better after sweating, raining and subsequent drying out.

Two excellent companies are Fort Western and River Junction.  River Junction hats are hand shaped ( brim and crown formed by an actual person).  To get the right size for your head, you measure your head circumference in inches or cm and compare it to hat chart on the website, you want it snug but not tight or you're going to be miserable.

If you see a hat on a website, check eBay and you might be able to find the same manufacturer for a really good price.  I got a really beautiful buffalo fur Stetson from Fort Western on clearance for under $100.  The hatter at Fort Western is a CAS/SASS shooter named "Delmonico".   He has some really great threads on the CAS City forum on shaping and sizing your cowboy hats.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I wear a resistol 4x felt in the winter. I wear a cheaper bangora straw in the summer.  I don't spend a lot on straw hats due to I'm hard on them. They don't like getting wet, and the most I've gotten out of one is 2 years.

As said earlier, go to a western store and try a few on. They all seem to fit a little different.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are tons of good deals on Stetsons, Resistols, etc on eBay.  There are two kinds of felts, wool and fur .  Fur are more expensive, but will hold their shape better after sweating, raining and subsequent drying out.

Two excellent companies are Fort Western and River Junction.  River Junction hats are hand shaped ( brim and crown formed by an actual person).  To get the right size for your head, you measure your head circumference in inches or cm and compare it to hat chart on the website, you want it snug but not tight or you're going to be miserable.

If you see a hat on a website, check eBay and you might be able to find the same manufacturer for a really good price.  I got a really beautiful buffalo fur Stetson from Fort Western on clearance for under $100.  The hatter at Fort Western is a CAS/SASS shooter named "Delmonico".   He has some really great threads on the CAS City forum on shaping and sizing your cowboy hats.
View Quote

great info... thx man
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone who puts a price tag of a $1,000 on a cowboy hat or any hat needs a boot in their ass.
Reminds me of the $100 T-shirt from Ralph Lauren.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#28]
For $30 you can get a really shitty hat.

Spend the extra and get a hat that will last you for many, many years.

Try Rand's Hats in Billings MT, if you want a quality hat.

You can send them the shape of your head, and they will make the hat to fit.

If you want to stay at, or just above $100, look at Akubra hats imported from Australia.

ETA: This advice is brought to you by my post #8888.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You buy that hat based on crown height/shape, brim width, and color you like. The hat then can be steamed/shaped into the style you want.
The brim can always be trimmed if need be.
View Quote

If you want a hat that will last if it gets wet, you should avoid wool or other "modern" materials.

Felt made from beaver, nutria or rabbit all make reasonably good hats that won't fall apart if you are caught in the rain.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For $30 you can get a really shitty hat.

Spend the extra and get a hat that will last you for many, many years.

Try Rand's Hats in Billings MT, if you want a quality hat.

You can send them the shape of your head, and they will make the hat to fit.

If you want to stay at, or just above $100, look at Akubra hats imported from Australia.
View Quote

will do my friend.. thx for the info
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sheplers is good place to start, plus they have a couple stores located in CO.
View Quote

+1
and a web site

Buffalo felt, Stetson 4x

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm a round guy so I like a larger brim this is what I wear Resistol 4X Cisco

I would never buy a hat without trying it on first the sizes aren't always the same, then some are oval and some are long oval.  Trust me if it's not comfortable you won't wear it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top