Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2013 3:17:47 AM EDT
Just now on ABC radio,  KT McFarland  just said Al-Wahiri, AQ's evil "genius" bombmaker had developed "clothing bombs, where they're dipped in an explosive, and dried and totally undetectable".   This as got to be wrong. Seriously?  sounds like bullshit to me.

Bing news
Google news
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just now on ABC radio,  KT McFarland  just said Al-Wahiri, AQ's evil "genius" bombmaker had developed "clothing bombs, where they're dipped in an explosive, and dried and totally undetectable".   This as got to be wrong. Seriously?  sounds like bullshit to me.

Bing news
Google news
View Quote

Totally possible.  That said, it's not justification for giving up an ounce of freedom to counter.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like an episode of Get Smart.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#3]
All this new technology that has never been used at El Al.

Israel in the middle of it all and not a peep.

Somehow we are the benefactors of the new and improved Al Qaeda and they are really smart now.

Get Smart technology and all that.................

Yet somhow among all the metric tons of coke and weed that cross our borders and not one ground to air missle.

But we need clothing bombs..............just be scared, real scared...........
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably much more detectable because it's literally soaked with explosive residue that sniffers can pick up, and also probably less effective because it's unconfined and spread out, but less likely to be found by a frisk.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 3:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The obvious consequence of this is we will all have to fly naked.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I doubt this would be lethal unless the guy is dress like this:

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like it would be wonderfully effective at blowing the first layer of flesh off alqueda operatives.

Seeing them in horrible pain but not dead and not done what they tried to do would be awesome Liveleak video.

DO IT!
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Gun cotton?

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I can picture achmed standing there, naked and blackened like a cartoon character, after the bomb fizzles and burns his clothing off.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fox reported this morning that it is not currently detectable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably much more detectable because it's literally soaked with explosive residue that sniffers can pick up, and also probably less effective because it's unconfined and spread out, but less likely to be found by a frisk.

P E T N Cotton?

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define detectable. By your local cop? Probably not. TSA? Probably--if they use the right equipment and not just a pat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Well once clothing is banned we will get to enjoy the sights of hotties...

among the hordes of fatties
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Would you believe?"
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All this new technology that has never been used at El Al.

Israel in the middle of it all and not a peep.

Somehow we are the benefactors of the new and improved Al Qaeda and they are really smart now.

Get Smart technology and all that.................

Yet somhow among all the metric tons of coke and weed that cross our borders and not one ground to air missle.

But we need clothing bombs..............just be scared, real scared...........
View Quote

Funny thing about that too...anyone who's ever been through the El Al screening process knows that "profiling" is VERY effective. I'd even wager more effective than the current screening methodology (theater.) If we really wanted to be safe we should do this, not subject ourselves to thugs, thieves, and morons (TSA) who at best are only a partially effective deterrent.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 4:26:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Define detectable. By your local cop? Probably not. TSA? Probably--if they use the right equipment and not just a pat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know....on an evolutionary scale you got those reversed. TSA is to police as Cro magnon is to Alan Sheppard.

Given the "right equipment" a chimpanzee could do any job better than TSA.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Pigs have more sensitive noses than even the TSA's best equipment, right
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Undetectabe?

I find that hard to believe.

What type of explosive is this that does not weigh much, soaks into material and is not detected as explosive material.

Must be magic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder about detonation.

Does it need a blasting cap, a flame or a good smack?  Either way, I bet the explosive residue sniffer/puffer thing could catch it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I can picture achmed standing there, naked and blackened like a cartoon character, after the bomb fizzles and burns his clothing off.
View Quote

This made me laugh so hard this morning. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

News programs of all flavors are not well regarded for getting technical details right.

I've never heard of an undetectable explosive. Now, it's possible AQ has better and brighter chemists working on things than, say, the entire US but I doubt it.

But then, detectable and reasonably detectable in normal situations are separate. Most passengers don't get the full residue screening AFAIK, and good luck on the street. But if you swab the guy wearing the explosive shirt, you're going to get a huge hit on the machine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#23]
WooHoo!

Naked flying ...

Naked public transportation ...

Naked people at the .gov offices ...

Nekked people everywhere!

Meh, probably just make us all disrobe and pass out the orange jumpsuits.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#24]
When they can have a bomb hidden up their ass, or swallow explosives like a drug mule swallows condom filled drugs.

All of these could be remotely activated by a cell phone and none can be detected by the current security devices.

It's about time we start to profile.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh FFS.  They'll just start putting them in cement trucks and breast implants.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Just think of how many middle eastern engineers the US is turning out and sending back home.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like we're all going to be flying nekid from now on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sounds like an episode of Get Smart Homeland.

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#29]
This reminds me of the exploding pants they made on Mythbusters.

Great, now we all have to fly naked.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Beat me to it by one second!
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#31]
If it's anything like the old way of making explosive paper, it's P.E.T.N. based and needs a blasting cap or detonator to initiate.  It also wouldn't likely be worn, but would need to be folded or rolled.  It would be detectable by a sniffer or dogs but would not be visually detectable.  

What I describe above has been used to make explosive newspapers and cardboard that looks like any other but contains a microcrystalline high explosive.  

I'm just speculating.  I have no inside information, but I bet it's nothing new other than how they might use it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Its been done with drugs before so I'm kinda surprised it took this long for explosives!
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I don't believe these clothes would "explode" at all.  They would likely just burn the wearer.  This has been used for drug smuggling though, and I would imagine it could be used to smuggle explosive materials.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Isn't all checked baggage checked for explosives?
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Be afraid america be very afraid.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm guessing the first time a pickpocket bumps into them somewhere, BOOM...

Sounds like a win-win to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#38]
That is while you profile passenger behavior, a guy buying a one way ticket with no luggage SHOULD raise a red flag.
TSA is too busy groping passengers to do real screening.
Look at how the Israelis do it with rings of defense, here, if a suicide bomber got caught he would just hake out the terminal instead of the plane.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I have said before that eventually the only way you will get on a plane is naked, in handcuffs.

It would be basic chemistry to nitrate a cotton Tee shirt. Then you have guncotton.  And it would be child's play to detect it as well

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

WHAT?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top