Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 33
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We also are able to properly use the first person collective pronouns "we" and "us," and we generally dislike dangling prepositions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A title full of arogance. Like you invented or discovered smothing better, that us idiots are to stupid to think of.

<a href="http://s156.photobucket.com/user/REAPER1911-A1/media/1270625d1383487060-nomos-tangente-38-review-like_a_sir_wine.png.html" target="_blank">http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/REAPER1911-A1/1270625d1383487060-nomos-tangente-38-review-like_a_sir_wine.png</a>

No, I just rediscovered something that the average cartridge user is too unsophisticated to think of.

I'm trying to enlighten you brutes.

We sophisticates also know how to spell arrogance, something, and too.

We also are able to properly use the first person collective pronouns "we" and "us," and we generally dislike dangling prepositions.

I honestly saw the "us/we" but chose not to muddy the waters.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your a man of sophistication and restraint. That's something to be proud of. I forget alot of grammar rule's.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a inexpensive open comb razor, Fatip to be exact.  All brass and gives a closer shave than the razors with a guard bar next to the blade.  I got 2 of em, a real bargain.  They have more of the same type coated with other stuff as well

http://www.zamberg.com/zb/ruthenium-plated-safety-razor-with-double-edge-with-small-handle-by-premax-italy-393909i.ashx

Tried to make the link hot but failed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Blade shaving is for wimps.

You clods should get into the 21st century.  

Get a Norelco.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get a Norelco.
View Quote

I own one and hate it. The ingrown hairs were epic and left scars.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your a man of sophistication and restraint. That's something to be proud of. I forget alot of grammar rule's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like the "No apostrophe to form a plural" rule? And "A lot" is two words.

My wife does that one all the time, drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I simply moved the apostrophe from "you" to "rule."  There's also another preposition hanging.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get a Norelco.
View Quote

I had one...a nice one. It sucked. Went DE and never looked back.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I simply moved the apostrophe from "you" to "rule."  There's also another preposition hanging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A) I've been drinking; missed the "your".
B) I don't agree with the preposition rule. That's a Latin rule, not English. It was added very late in order to look sophisticated.  Hanging preps are good English.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought a Parker razor for $25 last week and a 100 pack of Wilkinson blades for $18.00 I learned to shave with one of these when I was a kid. Just go slow, watch the angle, minimum pressure. Works very well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
We still talking bout this?!
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

B) I don't agree with the preposition rule. That's a Latin rule, not English. It was added very late in order to look sophisticated.  Hanging preps are good English.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give you that if you'll allow starting sentences with conjunctions like "and," "but," etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll give you that if you'll allow starting sentences with conjunctions like "and," "but," etc.
View Quote

I would allow that from my kids under certain circumstances. Only if there is a reasonable antecedent; either by the same speaker or the one that the speaker is responding to.

ETA: Sorry, I should have written "to whom he is responding."
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We still talking bout this?!
View Quote

Want my china razor?  It's still in the packaging. I'm me your address and I'll mail it to you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would allow that from my kids under certain circumstances. Only if there is a reasonable antecedent; either by the same speaker or the one that the speaker is responding to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That rule is suspended. No points will be deducted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Y'all want to do some homework for me?

I'm in a basic communications course, and I have to give a persuasive speech. It needs to be 4-7 minutes long, and I must cite at least three written sources, but internet sources are okay, and she doesn't seem to have the usual academic requirements for sources.

I've already submitted shaving as my subject, but I'm split on my approach. I'm somewhere between a generalized speech that the audience (my class) should question their shaving habits vs a speech that says DE wet shaving is the best way to shave because ____.

I also need to decide if I want to focus just on razors, or if I want to discuss soaps and creams vs canned goo.

Finally, about half my audience, including the instructor, are women. Any argument I present needs to be gender neutral.

Any ideas?
View Quote

yes.  do it in the vein of some military conquest speech

"WE MUST ... WE MUST WIN THE BATTLE.  THE ULTIMATE WEAPON HAS BEEN REDISCOVERED.  WITNESS THE AWESOME MIGHT OF THE DOUBLE EDGE RAZOR BLADE, THE SHEER MAJESTY OF ITS CUTTING ABILITY AS IT GLIDES ACROSS THE BATTLEGROUND OF THE SKIN."

Churchill style hand and arm movements will be required.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#17]
holy shit I know why people gave up DE shaving in the 70s.

Over the holiday my dad gave me his old scrungy Schick Korna TTO razor. I stuck a ST-301 in it after I cleaned it up and I shaved my face and head with it.

holy fuck did it suck. I torn my neck up. I shaved my head without cutting it but the shave was not close at all. My merkur is 10x the razor the Korna is. now I know why my dad said "fuck this shit" 35 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#18]
It's an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

Also, try to use a little less gorilla hand. I shed much blood as a youth learning to shave with a harsh single blade, so DE has been a pretty smooth transition.  For my whole head? Nope nope nope. I'll break out the Shick disposables with the soft curvy blades for that. I have too many scars & bumps to make it look like anything other than a pig slaughter.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/REAPER1911-A1/1270625d1383487060-nomos-tangente-38-review-like_a_sir_wine.png

No, I just rediscovered something that the average cartridge user is too unsophisticated to think of.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A title full of arogance. Like you invented or discovered smothing better, that us idiots are to stupid to think of.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/REAPER1911-A1/1270625d1383487060-nomos-tangente-38-review-like_a_sir_wine.png

ETA Looks like I also misspelled something in my haste to be snarky.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Nobody wants my free china razor.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several. As the saying goes, "Snark in haste, repent at leisure".
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll take it! I've been wanting to try one, just haven't ordered yet.

buk
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

buk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

buk

Awesome!  Message me your address.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Awesome!  Message me your address.
View Quote

Good man.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, tried it last night. Didn't cut my face off, will try again.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#26]
OK you ba@$#!)s, I drank the kool-aid and it taste good... Now let's talk about blades for a minute.
The ones I picked up with the razor were merkur and I thought they were OK, but ordered a sample package from Amazon. So far I've used the merkur, which did an OK job, but not as close of a shave that I like
The derby blades gave me significant razor burn and seemed to pull
Astra seemed to do better then the merkur, but without the burn of the derby.
Feathers did a very nice job, but it was also the first time I needed the styptic pencil to stop bleeding from a nasty nick.

I currently have a few more to try, blue birds, 7 o'clock from Gillette, silver blue again from Gillette, and shark super chrome...

What's the deal with why each brand shaves different, is it the sharpness? Cutting edge angle, thickness of the blades?  It seems like lots of folks like the feathers, but I'm usually not one who just buys into the hype without at least trying out some options... That also may be the reason I never got married until I was in my mid 30s ;-)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

OK you ba@$#!)s, I drank the kool-aid and it taste good... Now let's talk about blades for a minute.

The ones I picked up with the razor were merkur and I thought they were OK, but ordered a sample package from Amazon. So far I've used the merkur, which did an OK job, but not as close of a shave that I like

Feathers did a very nice job, but it was also the first time I needed the styptic pencil to stop bleeding from a nasty nick.

I currently have a few more to try, blue birds, 7 o'clock from Gillette, silver blue again from Gillette, and shark super chrome...

What's the deal with why each brand shaves different, is it the sharpness? Cutting edge angle, thickness of the blades?  It seems like lots of folks like the feathers, but I'm usually not one who just buys into the hype without at least trying out some options... That also may be the reason I never got married until I was in my mid 30s ;-)

View Quote
I have tried about 4 different types of blades. So far, nothing has beaten Personna's from the local beauty supply store.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm just gonna say. for guys who have to maintain lots of jungle in the nether regions.

Do not use DE razors.

Just don't.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm just gonna say. for guys who have to maintain lots of jungle in the nether regions.

Do not use DE razors.

Just don't.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I shave the old boys and their master with a NEW and get wonderful results every time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Derbys pulled bad for me.  I had to use very short strokes.  Personnas were a little better.  

Third blade I tried were the feathers.  I hardly ever cut myself with the feathers and never as bad as with the other blades.  Feathers are expensive, though, so I started looking for cheaper blades that could perform just as well.  So far, Swords and Astras not impressed me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
No shit!?

LOL, fantastic!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a task for all of you wet shavers.

I am looking for an Apothecary Mug ceramic mold. As in what would be used to mold an Apothecary Mug using slip and then having to fire it. I have access to a kiln and all needed supplies to make my own mugs all I would need is a Mold for the cup. Can anyone find such a thing I have had no luck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Have we started a blade exchange at all?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
It's happening!

Wal-Mart is selling DE razors!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all want to do some homework for me?

I'm in a basic communications course, and I have to give a persuasive speech. It needs to be 4-7 minutes long, and I must cite at least three written sources, but internet sources are okay, and she doesn't seem to have the usual academic requirements for sources.

I've already submitted shaving as my subject, but I'm split on my approach. I'm somewhere between a generalized speech that the audience (my class) should question their shaving habits vs a speech that says DE wet shaving is the best way to shave because ____.

I also need to decide if I want to focus just on razors, or if I want to discuss soaps and creams vs canned goo.

Finally, about half my audience, including the instructor, are women. Any argument I present needs to be gender neutral.

Any ideas?

Non-rigorous academic sources? Here we go:
Left side: razor cut. Right side: electric razor
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/14/article-0-139A09F7000005DC-426_634x449.jpg

http://www.razorpedia.com/1/post/2013/04/having-for-life-a-financial-face-off-between-straight-de-cartridge-and-disposable-razors.html

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/hair-removal/reusable-or-disposable-razor1.htm

I've got to give that speech tonight. Maybe I should start writing my outline and building slides.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#38]
OK, my love for Personna Blades that can be purchased at Sally Beauty Supply is no secret. However, I'm open to trying new blades.  I was at Kroger tonight and noticed they had a 10 pack of DE's for $2.99.  I decided to try them. The packaging is much like all other 10 blade packs that you see in the drug/grocery stores.  I opened it and took a fresh blade out and got rid of my old Persona Blade. When I was swapping them I had to take a second look at them both. The markings are identical. Hmmmmm Interdasting. I look at the back of the package....just "Made in the USA" on it. As are the Personna's from SBS.

They shave exactly the same, if not better and the packs at SBS are almost the same price for half the amount of blades! So, if you haven't tried these, I highly recommend them. No tugging and SMOOOOOOTH and not all that expensive.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#39]
All of the store brand, "Made in the USA" blades are Personna's...and are my current favorite blades.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#40]
people here still shave?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

All of the store brand, "Made in the USA" blades are Personna's...and are my current favorite blades.
View Quote
That would explain why they shave so damn good. I was thinking, damn, I'm not buying personna's anymore, I'm going to Kroger. 2x the amount for the same as 5 from another store. Heck yeah.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
people here still shave?
View Quote

I don't.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That would explain why they shave so damn good. I was thinking, damn, I'm not buying personna's anymore, I'm going to Kroger. 2x the amount for the same as 5 from another store. Heck yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get them from Amazon, they're even cheaper. I just bought a box of 100 for $13.22, delivered.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Ok gentlemen, I got a new shave brush for Christmas. A nice silver tip badger hair with handmade Bocote wood, so I told my wife I needed to get a stand for it. She thinks I should just rest it on my soap dish like I did the cheap boar hair I used for the last year.

When I told her it needed a stand she said "ask arfcom." So here it is, do I need a stand to properly care for my new brush?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ok gentlemen, I got a new shave brush for Christmas. A nice silver tip badger hair with handmade Bocote wood, so I told my wife I needed to get a stand for it. She thinks I should just rest it on my soap dish like I did the cheap boar hair I used for the last year.

When I told her it needed a stand she said "ask arfcom." So here it is, do I need a stand to properly care for my new brush?
View Quote

depends how the wood is finished.... if it has a high gloss finish
its fine
if its open grain wood...not good

regardless if you set it on its butt its going to leave rings on your counter

stands come in all shapes and sizes and prices
im pretty partial to one I picked up that is a brush holder with a tube the razor sits in on the back
off to find a pic...
ETA:
Omega shave stand
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Black-Shaving-Stand-for-Brush-and-Razor-/281130675815?pt=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item4174b1ae67
not my store... so this link is kosher right?
can find it for a better price, I know I didnt pay anywhere near that
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Got a Col. Konk stand and a variety pack of blades. Going to try a Feather tonight. I have a bag of plasma on standby.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Does it need to be in a stand to properly dry/drain to prevent mildew or anything?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Does it need to be in a stand to properly dry/drain to prevent mildew or anything?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got a Col. Konk stand and a variety pack of blades. Going to try a Feather tonight. I have a bag of plasma on standby.
View Quote

You'll love the feather.  I get absolutely zero tug and pull from these blades.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Thanks
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top