Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't hunt and a I refuse to pay for a fucking permit withe the amount of taxes I pay.
Fuck the Range Nazis

Speed

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, check ID, sign in,  fingerprint. And blood sample, stool sample,  semen sample, paternity test, and you must say three Hail Obamas before you are permitted to reload

(I use the state public ranges, once in a while a gamelands guy asks to see a permit)

I don't hunt and a I refuse to pay for a fucking permit withe the amount of taxes I pay.
Fuck the Range Nazis

Speed

Yeah wish I had somewhere better to go but the private ranges around me are all either assholes, exceptionally hard to join, or expensive. My solution is to deal with it and use the public ranges until I can afford to live on a decent chunk of land
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Personal range - uhhh, no.

Private range (that I probably spend more time at) - requires membership, so everything is on file.  No sign in/out though.

Guest at another range - multiple disclaimer pages every time it seems.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Outdoor range is SE PA

must have ID visible (someone will ask)
Sign in and out at each range

I'm also a member of a outdoor range in central PA no sign in, any member can "card" another member i've only seen it once in the 15 years i've been a member
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My indoor range is across the river in IL.  I have to sign in, but nothing else.  IL residents have to show a FOID card.

Outdoor range is DNR land.  Half the time there isn't even anyone there but shooters.  Drive in, mag dump, drive off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
No. My range gives you the combination the lock on the gate. You come and go when you want. There is almost never anyone there let alone someone to check your ID. A member can bring three guests.

Trap shooting on Wednesday night.
IDPA(?) shoot one Sunday a month.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been asked for my club ID, but that is it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in rural Tennessee and usually shoot in the woods.  I went to the local range for the shooting part of my CCW and it's not clear to me that anyone even works there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone is different.  Outdoor private range I used to be a member of just wanted folks to sign in/out so they could tell who is there.  Limited membership, had to take a mandatory safety class before joining.  I got pissed off and quit because they'd let .22 pistol competitors take over the rifle lanes on weekends.  That wasn't discussed in the membership materials.

The five indoor ranges I've been to all take and hold your ID while shooting.  One enters it into their customer database, the other 4 just make you sign the liability sheet.  One of them was absolutely iron fisted about ammo checks because they didn't like steel core.  Another started ammo checks after DFW Gun burned from the moron that brought tracers.  I've never had them record type/model of firearm though.  One was an asshole and would demand to inspect everything you brought, most of the others were just interested in neat/different stuff.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Mixed.

I'm a member at an outdoor range, I have to use a chipped ID card to open the gate. But there is no ID check, and I can bring un-identified guests. Nobody checks to see if I'm actually the one using the card.

Went to an indoor range with some friends and had to show and allow them to copy and file an ID.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL.  No.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Privately owned gun shop indoor range.Have to make appointment,sign in sheet when you get there.That's all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell no. Pay the fee, and head over to the shooting benches. It's that simple every single time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Indoors take information, outdoors take money.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My indoor range holds drivers license while you are in the stalls.

My outdoor range has sign in / sign out but no ID required. Probably a lot of "Rusty Shaklefords" in that book...

Nobody logs what guns you use.
View Quote

Same at mine, but more Bubba Joneses.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not ummm no but HELL NO!!
View Quote

Midwest Gun & Range here in Elkhart holds your ID until you are done shooting.  The club we I shoot at is private. (Nozzleman has not shot at our club for a while)
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
What?

The only thing I get carded for around here is booze, and rarely.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I am a member of a private range, we are required to present our membership and range cards on demand from any other member, there is also a caretaker that lives on site that will occasionally come down and verify membership.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Umm NO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
My local gun range is a mound of dirt on my buddies land.

So, no.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I use two gun ranges here in AZ. At the indoor range, they ask me to sign in, but they don't ask for ID and I could make up a name if I wanted to. At the outdoor range, they require an ID and they record my name and the types of guns I'm shooting in a logbook. I could understand why they would do that that if I lived in NJ or another state where my right to own a gun was infringed, but I was surprised that it was done here. I've never heard of anything coming of it, but I can't imagine why the range would need it for their own use.

View Quote

Yes, I thought about asking them, but I wasn't sure that I would get a straight answer. I might ask the next time I go, just to see what they say.

Fuck that shit...

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL, I'm in New York..............and I just go the range and shoot.  No signing in.  Nobody to check anything.  Nobody gives a fuck what you shoot.  I'd be surprised if anyone raised an eyebrow if you were shooting a machine gun .

Ranges in northern PA are the same way.  

One thing to note, there are no public ranges in my neck of the woods.  You need to be a member of the club to shoot.  Granted, all you need to do to be a member is pay the dues.......
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Private gun range.

You sign in by membership number.  It's honor system so you could skip singing in or use someone else's number if you wanted.

Although they recently installed automatic gates that use a bade to open.  I'm sure badge swipes are logged, so yeah I guess they do log all visitors.  Hadn't thought of that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Not normally, but since I normally shoot at a public range, operated by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries,

a hunting license, or Wild Louisiana "use permit", is required. I've never been asked for either.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I have my own range.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Only range I go to, ya just walk in, shoot shit, and clean up after yourself. Usually no one's there unless its a nice day out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#27]
We recorded DL names and numbers in Florida. This was because of the liability release and because people walked out without paying.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#28]
The only real "range" I've used here is the Sherburne Range, which is on a WMA here in Louisiana.

Range rules say you have to check in by writing your name on the cards at the check-in station, and you also have to have either a hunting or fishing license, or a wildlife stamp on your person.

Granted, I've only been there a few times, but I have never been checked.

Over the years I've done the vast majority of my shooting on private land.

LC
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#29]
When I lived in NY I went to a range where I paid $10 a year to shoot and could pretty much shoot whatever I want and no logbook or people asking questions.

Lot cheaper than here in Ohio.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have my own range.
View Quote
This. Never been carded in my front yard.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Indoor range here makes you leave your id at the front desk, and you get it back when you leave.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Member of a private gun club here.  I sign in and out with my member badge ID number.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I just sign the log book and pay my $14.00 for the day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I am  a range safety officer for our private club. I have to call the front gate to let them know that I'm opening the range and fill out checklist thst stays on a clipboard at the range. If somebody wants to shoot while I'm there I don't ask for ID because if you're inside the communities gate that means that you are member. We do have them sign a release.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Michigan State owned DNR ranges just require you to sign in with name & zip code. No ID. No checking. You could sign Mickey Mouse if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I use two gun ranges here in AZ.  At the indoor range, they ask me to sign in, but they don't ask for ID and I could make up a name if I wanted to.  At the outdoor range, they require an ID and they record my name and the types of guns I'm shooting in a logbook. I could understand why they would do that that if I lived in NJ or another state where my right to own a gun was infringed, but I was surprised that it was done here.   I've never heard of anything coming of it, but I can't imagine why the range would need it for their own use.

Yes, I thought about asking them, but I wasn't sure that I would get a straight answer.  I might ask the next time I go, just to see what they say.

View Quote

What about residents of not so free states who's gun ranges do not do that?

I've been saying this along time OP, before I even knew about this place, that living in a "free state" is an illusion.

BTW how do you like those thousands of cameras watching every mile you drive on AZ highways?

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The local county range that I have shot at around here has a book that they want you to sign in to, but I've never seen them check IDs.
View Quote

This tends to be a legal requirement for insurance purposes. My range did the same. Maybe it is an NRA suggestion, because that was who our range insurance was through. There is at least some level of accountability if you can determine the visitors at the time of any possible event.

For other ranges, they can increase their membership roles if they find that very few paying members shoot. A range that is unpopulated is not making the most money.

Small public indoor ranges do it because of suicides. Really attentive ones have additional countermeasures.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I've been saying this along time OP, before I even knew about this place, that living in a "free state" is an illusion.

BTW how do you like those thousands of cameras watching every mile you drive on AZ highways?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use two gun ranges here in AZ. At the indoor range, they ask me to sign in, but they don't ask for ID and I could make up a name if I wanted to. At the outdoor range, they require an ID and they record my name and the types of guns I'm shooting in a logbook. I could understand why they would do that that if I lived in NJ or another state where my right to own a gun was infringed, but I was surprised that it was done here. I've never heard of anything coming of it, but I can't imagine why the range would need it for their own use.

Yes, I thought about asking them, but I wasn't sure that I would get a straight answer. I might ask the next time I go, just to see what they say.

I have lived in CA and AZ.  We have gotten rid of a lot of our cameras.  However, the BP check station after I enter San Diego County has the worst kind of facial recognition and license plate recognition cameras and a lot of them, along with an xray truck.  You don't want to get into a pissing match about freedom, because you certainly do not have it, or any concept of it.  I carry a gun everywhere, and I can have a brand new one in about ten minutes, any time I want.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope, but the ranger does come around every now and then to check for WMA or Hunting licenses.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Not here in CA
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#41]
One state run range I visit occasionally asks for a name, no id, and I always use the same fake first and last name, for no other reason that to just be a jerk. They also ask about rifle rounds and want to do the magnet test for any steel in the bullet. I show them factory or reloads and then shoot my steel surplus. F'em.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use two gun ranges here in AZ.  At the indoor range, they ask me to sign in, but they don't ask for ID and I could make up a name if I wanted to.  At the outdoor range, they require an ID and they record my name and the types of guns I'm shooting in a logbook. I could understand why they would do that that if I lived in NJ or another state where my right to own a gun was infringed, but I was surprised that it was done here.   I've never heard of anything coming of it, but I can't imagine why the range would need it for their own use.

Yes, I thought about asking them, but I wasn't sure that I would get a straight answer.  I might ask the next time I go, just to see what they say.

I said "freer" instead of "free" for a reason.  No worries though, I can understand that you're sore about having to suffer under some of the most oppressive gun laws in the country.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I was waiting for an answer on this too.  The range I use has us sign a log book, but they do not check ID.
View Quote
I sent you an IM also.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#44]
No, thankfully.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#45]
My range gives you the key to the lock on the gate. You come and go when you want.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Mine did once, but it was because I used a cc to pay. I have a range card, all they check is that its current and I have proper eye & ear protection.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#47]
No ID, but name, time, signature, which range you will use.

$6
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Nope, chain with a lock on the gate, most of the time Ive got the range to my self
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I live in the sticks so typically just shoot on my own land. But I have been to two local ranges with my buddy and neither even asked who I was. Drive up. Shoot. Drive off. No one gave two fucks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Sign-in sheet, hand stamp. Knob Creek Gun Range
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top