Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:24:41 AM EDT
Two women get lost hiking, get rescued, and then proceed to drive their car into the ocean and die. All in the same day.

ROQUE BLUFFS, Maine (AP) -- A Maine woman and her pregnant friend visiting from Pennsylvania got lost hiking and were rescued but died later that evening, authorities said, when they accidentally drove their car into the ocean in the nighttime fog.
View Quote

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_LOST_HIKERS_FATAL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-07-24-11-17-42
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It was time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Tragic but we obviously now need a government agency to regulate the placement of railroad style crossing gates at boat ramps.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tragic but we obviously now need a government agency to regulate the placement of railroad style crossing gates at boat ramps.
View Quote

No. Pelosi and Feinstein will propose legislation to ban oceans instead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#4]
"'It appears they went the wrong direction and drove off the ramp," he said. "If you don't know the area, in the fog and rain it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do.'"

I guess if your response to not being able to see the road because of poor conditions is to drive at an unsafe speed - they could just as easily have hit a broken down car if they had been on the real road...seems like a Darwin Award to me
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It's funny how they called for help the first time, and it worked, then they called for help a second time, and it didn't.  That must have been frustrating.  

It's a good example of what we call "Negative transfer"  

Could have used a little less dialing, and a little more door opening.       Obviously,  they missed that episode of Mythbusters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Did they get eaten by lobstahs?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like basic navigation skills could have prevented both problems.

(Edited for spelling)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#8]
You know, I joke a lot about how myself and certain friends of mine shouldn't be allowed out together unsupervised but that's just ridiculous.  

I know it's horrible but I find it a tad difficult to be very sympathetic to what sounds like massive levels of incompetence.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#9]
It's not their fault, the GPS told them to do it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Reminds me of an ex gf. Death literally surrounds her, lost her mom, dad, brother, and probably 6 friends, all at separate times. She just turned 30.

And no, I don't have any pics.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Recalculating........................

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#12]
In their defense its apparently really hard to get out of a sinking vehicle. However its really stupid to waste what little time there is in a sinking vehicle calling someone for help on a cell phone.  So I guess it evens out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When possible, make a U-turn.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Kinda like this story of a teen drowning then during her rescue, attacked by a shark....something really did not want this one to survive:

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You know, I joke a lot about how myself and certain friends of mine shouldn't be allowed out together unsupervised but that's just ridiculous.  

I know it's horrible but I find it a tad difficult to be very sympathetic to what sounds like massive levels of incompetence.
View Quote

I was thinking something similar.  These women weren't cursed.  They just had such bad judgment that they kept nominating themselves for Darwin awards until they won.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Pregnant brain on one of em?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]

God was heard saying....."Oh no you don't".
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Reminds me of an ex gf. Death literally surrounds her, lost her mom, dad, brother, and probably 6 friends, all at separate times. She just turned 30.

View Quote

Dibs.

On all your shit plus your life membership.

All of it, except the ex gf.  Don't want none o that.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#19]
It was their time.  

In before the left starts drafting legislation to outlaw cars, bodies of water and fog.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I hate speaking evil of the dead, but these women were fucking morons.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#21]
There car was found 175 feet from the shore.  Did it float out that far or did they manage to get enough velocity to hit the water and travel that far?  Gotta be hauling to get that far in water deep enough to cover a vehicle before drag and sinking brings you to a halt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guy I served with (kinda... You'll see why I qualify that.) in Korea only did a little less than two months or so of actual duty over there, on a one-year tour. The rest of the time, he was on leave back in the states dealing with deaths in his immediate family. He lost his older brother, some kind of drive-by violence, then his dad had a heart attack, then another brother, followed by his mom, followed by a sister, followed by his remaining brother. Only the dad and the mom were kinda sorta natural--Heart attack and a stroke, probably stress-related. By the end of it all, he had collected up six more kids to care for, and was working out of the local recruiting station since the command in Korea couldn't extend him any more leave.

Short story--In the space of a year, this guy lost his entire immediate family. The timing was incredible, too--He'd just get back from the States, and he'd have another Red Cross Message waiting for him. When his dad died, he had the heart attack in the parking lot of the airport he dropped him off at, and his dad was dead before the airplane took off. The body wasn't noticed for a couple of hours, since he was behind the wheel, door closed, and just looked like he was asleep.

The messed-up part was, by the middle of his tour, he was so resigned to what was going on that he was telling jokes about it: "Well, I've been back for two weeks, now... About time I got another Red Cross Message...". That statement came as we all watched the Chaplain, the Company Commander, and the First Sergeant come walking across the motor pool over to our platoon. And, yes, they had a Red Cross Message for him...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#23]
They may have not made very intelligent decisions, but I'm not about to crack jokes about their deaths.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Two women get lost hiking, get rescued, and then proceed to drive their car into the ocean and die. All in the same day.

ROQUE BLUFFS, Maine (AP) -- A Maine woman and her pregnant friend visiting from Pennsylvania got lost hiking and were rescued but died later that evening, authorities said, when they accidentally drove their car into the ocean in the nighttime fog.
View Quote

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_LOST_HIKERS_FATAL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-07-24-11-17-42
View Quote

shit.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Guy I served with (kinda... You'll see why I qualify that.) in Korea only did a little less than two months or so of actual duty over there, on a one-year tour. The rest of the time, he was on leave back in the states dealing with deaths in his immediate family. He lost his older brother, some kind of drive-by violence, then his dad had a heart attack, then another brother, followed by his mom, followed by a sister, followed by his remaining brother. Only the dad and the mom were kinda sorta natural--Heart attack and a stroke, probably stress-related. By the end of it all, he had collected up six more kids to care for, and was working out of the local recruiting station since the command in Korea couldn't extend him any more leave.

Short story--In the space of a year, this guy lost his entire immediate family. The timing was incredible, too--He'd just get back from the States, and he'd have another Red Cross Message waiting for him. When his dad died, he had the heart attack in the parking lot of the airport he dropped him off at, and his dad was dead before the airplane took off. The body wasn't noticed for a couple of hours, since he was behind the wheel, door closed, and just looked like he was asleep.

The messed-up part was, by the middle of his tour, he was so resigned to what was going on that he was telling jokes about it: "Well, I've been back for two weeks, now... About time I got another Red Cross Message...". That statement came as we all watched the Chaplain, the Company Commander, and the First Sergeant come walking across the motor pool over to our platoon. And, yes, they had a Red Cross Message for him...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure they were a far less burden on society every other day......  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I will hold a memorial for them then plan a multicity protest against oceans.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

wat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

It happened. I still find it hard to believe, but since I was one of the guys who had to pull slack for a missing squad leader, I know damn well it happened. We had a running joke that tour that anything that could go wrong for someone while they were in the Army, it was going to happen in our company, and during that year. At one point, we had six guys out on compassionate leaves due to deaths, miscarriages, or other things that were entirely outside the control of the unit or the individual soldier. The people up at the Red Cross office in Yongsan had our commander's phone number on speed-dial. That squad leader who lost his family was only the tip of the iceberg--My step-dad got killed by a drunk driver right at the end of my tour with that outfit.

My Platoon Leader at the time was a math major. He did a set of calculations that showed that what we had going on in our unit was so statistically improbable that it wasn't even funny--We're not talking million-to-one odds, we're talking billion- or trillion-to-one odds against it. Interestingly, however--If you were in the unit, or in Korea with us (unauthorized dependents), you were perfectly safe. We had not one accident, and nobody got seriously injured or hurt, despite there being a bunch of really good opportunities for it. We had a damn typhoon roll through and flatten the entire area, literally knocking down damn near every tree on the camp. No injuries during the storm, no injuries cleaning up, and this was while there were a good dozen or so deaths out in the 'ville from the surrounding events. I think the worst thing that happened to us was a mass food-poisoning that took down a bunch of our Katusas, traced back to an off-post restaurant. Weird year, that was. Seriously weird.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Awesome.  Sucks....... but awesome.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#30]
They were killed by their own stupidity.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Is her last name Kersey?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It was time.
View Quote

Darwin's clock never stops.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I'm sure there's a Women driver joke in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

wat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

I know it's not a joking matter to the guy you served with, but reading the story I first thought of Max Klinger.
Mother dead, sister pregnant, grandparents dead.
Father dead, mother pregnant, sister dead.
Father pregnant, mother and sister dead.
Mother and sister pregnant, everyone else dead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Survive getting ejected from a catastrophic jetliner crash, get run over by an emergency vehicle on its way to rescue survivors.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I know it's not a joking matter to the guy you served with, but reading the story I first thought of Max Klinger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wat

Here's an oldie but a goodie, "Half of the family dying, other half pregnant."

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is her last name Kersey?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is her last name Kersey?  

No, Phillips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top