Site Notices
10/1/2014 2:19:24 PM
10/1/2014 10:30:17 AM
Author
Passing you on the OODA loop
NRAMilitary
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:23:55 AM
Can you get a "hangover" from hydrocodone?

I've got a nasty upper respiratory cold with a cough right now, and was given a prescription for cough syrup with hydrocodone last week. Last night was the first time I took any due to my cough being pretty persistent and keeping me awake.

I woke up this morning feeling nauseous and kind of dizzy. This is new to me and I was wondering if it's a reaction to the cough syrup.
Do not attempt. Professional driver on a closed course.
maggiethecat
Vicious Squirrel Killer
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:26:27 AM
i never did. but sadly i've had so much it's more like advil now.
....They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
SleeperShooter
// ARFCom Callsign: Freebird \\
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:27:14 AM
[Last Edit: 7/24/2013 7:28:28 AM by SleeperShooter]
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
I woke up this morning feeling nauseous and kind of dizzy. This is new to me and I was wondering if it's a reaction to the cough syrup.

You got Roofied. Hope you weren't hanging out with a Sailor.

---RIP Brothers---
Nathan Bruckenthal, DC3, USCG, K.I.A. 04/24/2004
Brian Terry, USBP, E.O.W. 12/15/2010
John Capano, ATF, E.O.W. 12/31/2011
Chris Kyle, SOC, USN, E.O.W. 02/02/2013
marcmedic
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:28:46 AM
Normal side effects of the medication
FortyFiveAutomatic
Agent of Big Brother
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:37:30 AM
Yep pretty normal. For me it was always splitting headaches, which then reminded me "Hey time for my dose..." pain gone and flying high again.

Opiates are the devil.
crm2k4
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:39:56 AM
I think you can. I was prescribed vicodin last year for a knee injury and had to take 4 a day for nearly a whole week..the first day I went without I had a headache like I had drank cheap booze all night.
Taboot
Goldmember
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:44:34 AM
Take another dose, you'll be right as rain. Chase the dragon.
vidi vici veni

In summer, there's fishing and fucking. And in winter, the fishing is bad. - Kimi Raikkonen

Connecticut. The Constitution State, my ass.
Hawk_308
Begin Operation Poptart
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:45:29 AM
take it on a full stomach .... well thats what the doc told me last night after she stitched me up because I inserted a leatherman into my hand a good ways from the webbing to the bone.
Jeeps and Guns go together like peanut butter and jelly
I have the black rifle and jeep disease , and my insurance doesnt cover it.
Southernvajeepers.com
Taboot
Goldmember
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 7:47:20 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Hawk_308:
take it on a full stomach .... well thats what the doc told me last night after she stitched me up because I inserted a leatherman into my hand a good ways from the webbing to the bone.
Youch!
vidi vici veni

In summer, there's fishing and fucking. And in winter, the fishing is bad. - Kimi Raikkonen

Connecticut. The Constitution State, my ass.
C-4
Let The Odds Make Each Heart Bolder
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 8:26:25 AM
[Last Edit: 7/24/2013 8:27:29 AM by C-4]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:

I've got a nasty upper respiratory cold with a cough right now, and was given a prescription for cough syrup with hydrocodone last week. Last night was the first time I took any due to my cough being pretty persistent and keeping me awake.

Hydrocodone cough syrups usually contain two ingredients: Hydrocodone () and chlorpheniramine maleate. To properly answer your question, I'd need to know if your sizzurp contains both these ingredients.

Hydrocodone cough syrup preparations are different than straight hydrocodone/Tylenol (Vicodin) preparations in that the hydrocodone is bound to a resin. This makes it very difficult to separate the hydrocodone for IV drug abuse, but this is also done to create an extended release preparation wherein the hydrocodone is release slowly from the resin into the digestive track. This means that hydrocodone cough syrup will last up to 12 hours and you may still feel the effects the following morning. Without going into great detail, opiates have many effects including stimulation of opiate receptors (), histamine release (which can cause the dreaded itchiness, especially in the face) and stimulate dopamine receptors. It is stimulation of dopamine receptors that is credited with causing nausea. Could you also be experiencing a "hangover" effect ie. withdrawal? Possibly, but with a single dose it would be unusual. Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea can also be symptoms of opiate withdrawal.

Chlorpheniramine is an anti-histamine but has several other effects. Both it and the hydrocodone can cause a "dizziness", or what I call fuzzy-headedness. I'd write more but I need to work.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
Hawk_308
Begin Operation Poptart
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 8:29:00 AM
thats what I said . It bled like hell and I hit a nerve , of course my trigger finger nerve so next time I go shooting is going to be interesting .
Jeeps and Guns go together like peanut butter and jelly
I have the black rifle and jeep disease , and my insurance doesnt cover it.
Southernvajeepers.com
endofdays
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:38:30 AM
your doing it wrong, mix it with skittles and watermelon juice drink
PatrickBatem4n
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:40:27 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By endofdays:
your doing it wrong, mix it with skittles and watermelon juice drink

this
ScottsGT
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:43:13 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By C-4:
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:

Hydrocodone cough syrups usually contain two ingredients: Hydrocodone () and chlorpheniramine maleate. To properly answer your question, I'd need to know if your sizzurp contains both these ingredients.

Hydrocodone cough syrup preparations are different than straight hydrocodone/Tylenol (Vicodin) preparations in that the hydrocodone is bound to a resin. This makes it very difficult to separate the hydrocodone for IV drug abuse, but this is also done to create an extended release preparation wherein the hydrocodone is release slowly from the resin into the digestive track. This means that hydrocodone cough syrup will last up to 12 hours and you may still feel the effects the following morning. Without going into great detail, opiates have many effects including stimulation of opiate receptors (), histamine release (which can cause the dreaded itchiness, especially in the face) and stimulate dopamine receptors. It is stimulation of dopamine receptors that is credited with causing nausea. Could you also be experiencing a "hangover" effect ie. withdrawal? Possibly, but with a single dose it would be unusual. Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea can also be symptoms of opiate withdrawal.

Chlorpheniramine is an anti-histamine but has several other effects. Both it and the hydrocodone can cause a "dizziness", or what I call fuzzy-headedness. I'd write more but I need to work.

Damn Dude, you sound like a CRNA. I ask my wife a question about a drug and get this kind of info all the time. I don't know where she keeps all this shit in her head, because she cannot even remember to make me a damned sammich!
PugglePod9000
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:45:36 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By FortyFiveAutomatic:
Yep pretty normal. For me it was always splitting headaches, which then reminded me "Hey time for my dose..." pain gone and flying high again.

Opiates are the devil.

I was on them heavy for a month and a half (motorcycle wreck related)
I went through withdrawls for a week.
watchwatch
Right Wing Gundamentalist
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:49:56 AM
Codeine cough syrup is the shit. You can get a great buzz from that stuff. Just pop the top off and sit down on the couch and sip away

Fuck the pills.
Bigshot64
Travelin' man
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:52:21 AM
Any form of hydro makes my stomach upset as hell.

"Guard well the west gate"
Tennessee Squire
Grand Knight of Asshattery

Official NorCal_LEO nickname "jellyroll"
Hueto
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:53:35 AM
Got any more? We should hang out.
sturmjr
NorCal official site issued nickname -- Warlock
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:55:04 AM
[Last Edit: 7/24/2013 9:56:35 AM by sturmjr]
Have I had a "feeling" the day after? Sure.

But never hangover-like symptoms. Usually just lingering feel-good from the meds.

Hangovers are primarily the result of dehydration. Did you drink enough fluids yesterday? Make sure you get your electrolytes, as well.
-- Being an asshole is all part of my manly essence.

-- They say I'm too young to be a bitter clinger.
sturmjr
NorCal official site issued nickname -- Warlock
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:57:22 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By watchwatch:
Codeine cough syrup is the shit. You can get a great buzz from that stuff. Just pop the top off and sit down on the couch and sip away

Fuck the pills.

Trayvon, is that you?

Make sure you get your drank to mix and candies to melt down.
-- Being an asshole is all part of my manly essence.

-- They say I'm too young to be a bitter clinger.
usp4u
totally got time fo 'dat
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 9:58:05 AM
All it ever did was plug me up.
AssaultRifler
Get off my lawn
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 10:32:50 AM
I never got a buzz from them nor felt was getting addicted to them. They work as painkillers though
"Act like a thug die like one!"

"Bullets change governments far surer than votes.." - Lord of War 2005
Alpinist
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 11:23:26 AM
make some "fire ass lean!"
BlammO
Onomatopoeia incarnate
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/24/2013 11:26:29 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Alpinist:
make some "fire ass lean!"
LOL!

I think I'm immune to hydrocodone. A quadruple dose has almost no effect on me. Which makes me useless for answering the question. So in true Arfcom style, I replied anyway. Oh look! A chicken . . .
Never send a man to do a neutron's job. -- BlammO
كافر