Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 2:00:14 PM EDT
I've got a yellow jacket nest directly outside the door of my apartment and I need it gone.  I can't use gasoline because it is in pine needles directly under a pine tree.

Has anyone ever tried shoving a fogger in the entrance of a nest?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
This should work well.

Post video.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I use foaming wasp/ yellowjacket spray shits got about a 15-20 foot reach on the spray and it foams as it hits the nest clinging to the nest and keeping more of it for the damn critters to get into and die!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I once used an insecticide that came out in a heavy stream on an underground nest.  I gave it a good soaking, then ran like hell.  It worked, but it killed a small bush and nothing grew there for a couple of years.

I'm not sure that a fogger will kill them quickly enough to keep you from getting stung; I can't really think of anything that would kill them quickly but be safe for the tree.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it after dark when they are not (as) active.

It's easier to sneak up on them then.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Mis-click, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, you want to use one of those long-range spray cans.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
starting fluid is immediate and awesome.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The yellow jackets return to the nest for the night. You have a better chance to get them all during this time. Twilight is when I do my best work.

Gas, used motor oil works on an in-ground nest every time. No, do not light it. Just pour, then haul ass.

Not environmentally PC but the EPA doesn't send out yellow jacket extermination kits, so F'em.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Foggers have the unfortunite side effect of not killing wasps immediately.  It therefore has a side effect of injecting focus into the remainder of their lives:  Revenge against you.  Probably better to use something that's immediate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The yellow jackets return to the nest for the night. You have a better chance to get them all during this time. Twilight is when I do my best work.

Gas, used motor oil works on an in-ground nest every time. No, do not light it. Just pour, then haul ass.

Not environmentally PC but the EPA doesn't send out yellow jacket extermination kits, so F'em.
Yep, cool nights are best, and, wear dark clothing.
They really seem to be attracted to white colors.
Thats how I found a nest, went out for the morning paper, (comes in a plastic bag), must have been swinging it, and they were after me.
Death by Fire that night.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, cool nights are best, and, wear dark clothing.
They really seem to be attracted to white colors.
Thats how I found a nest, went out for the morning paper, (comes in a plastic bag), must have been swinging it, and they were after me.
Death by Fire that night.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't fog.  Use the cans of long reaching wasp spray.   Do it in evening or morning.   Have EXTRA cans on hand,  you will always use more that's you think you will need.   Soapy water works too but the cans are more immediate and easier to use.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#12]

I don't have any underground yellowjacket nests here but I do get plenty of wasp nests.  When I go after them I use two cans so I can hit the nest with two streams at once.  Using this technique and not staying around long I haven't been stung yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Permethrin fog does not work on yellow jackets. Not sure why. Kills wasps, the the evil yellow jackets don't give a shit. Use the foaming spray can stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I was cleaning up around an old mobile home and ran across some yellow jackets that had built a nest in the insulation under the trailer near an outside wall.  There was a "bug bomb" or "flea bomb" fogger left over in a closet.  
I waited till later in the evening.
I placed the "bomb" on a 2x4, activated it, then slid the 2x4 so the fog aimed at the entrance hole.  then I whacked the insulation with a lawn rake.
It worked surprisingly well; it killed everything that flew out, and i believe the residue finished the rest.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Just cuz you use gas doesn't mean  you have to light it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the same problem and found this yesterday.

ETA: a killing spray can be made with just soapy water.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Mark the hole with a stick or two during daylight.  Go out when it is DARK. Pour about 1 cup of sevin dust in hole.

All yellow jackets will be dead by daylight, no risk of fire or explosion from gas, and will not kill plants.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got a yellow jacket nest directly outside the door of my apartment and I need it gone.  I can't use gasoline because it is in pine needles directly under a pine tree.

View Quote

It's the problem of the apartment owner.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
P.B. Blaster
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Shoot it with an airsoft gun first. That way they'll all be agitated and inhale more of the poison.

Post vids.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Long stick, play pinata, run I like hell.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have the same problem and found this yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1sM1YTIU4

ETA: a killing spray can be made with just soapy water.

View Quote

Came here to say this.   Mix it real heavy with soap.  I use it all the time, works great.  

Like someone else said the cooler the temp the less active they are.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]
slap the nest slowly-it scares them away
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#24]
The day before my bachelor party we found a ground nest of yellow jackets in the immediate area of the party (family cabin).  My brothers and my dad and I were up until 2am the night before trying to dig those fuckers up. Everyone was drunk, brother got stung, we ended up dumping gas on them and lighting it up.  The next day, the day of the party, the bees were still there; they had a side access tunnel about 3 feet away from where we were digging and burning.  We ended up taping off the area and told people to just stay away.  In hind sight, we'd have been better off just leaving them be (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#25]
P.S. The Final Solution.
Forgot about this.
Had an old couch on my front porch, used to sit on it and play my guitar in the evening.
One day I went out and saw a steady stream of yellow jackets buzzing in and out.....
SO, got my shop vac, zip-tied a piece of thin wall conduit to the hose, laid it right by where they were buzzing, and, enjoyed watching them get sucked up!

After dark, let vac running, sprayed some bee killer in hose, waited a minute, then put a rag over the hose and then shut the vac off.
Got every one of them evil bastards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Set a bug zapper on top of it. Not kidding. They'll all come out and attack it until it kills every remaining one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Hit it with a baseball bat.

Post video.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ortho Hornet and Wasp killer.

Accept nothing less.  Take it from someone allergic to those little Satan spawn.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Accept nothing less.  Take it from someone allergic to those little Satan spawn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is an underground nest, I'm not sure how well spray will work
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I just killed a nest at my house with a can of Spectracide, which I got at Lowe's for under $3.00.

Wait until just after sunset, they all retreat into the nest then.

Soak the nest, run like hell, come back the next day for cleanup, no stinging.

Keep your pets away, this stuff is not good for Fluffy.

I still have most of the can available for next time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is an underground nest, I'm not sure how well spray will work
View Quote

Make sure to look for the vent hole. For anything to be really effective you have to close that off. Unless you just drown them in chemicals.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Our exterminator took care of one for us. He used his truck sprayer to deluge them.

That being said, I'd contact the apartment manager first, then the owner if nothing is done.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#35]
What I posted earlier.
Shop Vac.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

starting fluid is immediate and awesome.
View Quote
Same with brake cleaner.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just cuz you use gas doesn't mean  you have to light it.
View Quote

BULLSHIT. you HAVE to light that shit up.

OP, dont be a puss. gas and fire is the only way. have the hose ready. i did this to a nest last summer in the same situation. fire was contained to an area smaller than a 5gal bucket lid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top