BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're not the only one. I bought a cheapo Murry push mower 2 yrs. ago, and when I went to change oil...no drain plug. WTF?

I guess they're so cheap that you just run em till they don't. It runs like a top btw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can change it?

I just thought you were supposed to buy a new one when the old one stopped working....

You're not the only one. I bought a cheapo Murry push mower 2 yrs. ago, and when I went to change oil...no drain plug. WTF?

I guess they're so cheap that you just run em till they don't. It runs like a top btw.

Typical recommendation is to tip the mower over on its side, and drain the oil out the filler hole.

Yeh, it's messy (particularly with a full fuel tank! ), but it works...
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]

TS
Have you looked underneath the engine? Not all plugs are on the side.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Every 3,000 miles.  So at the rate I mow, probably never.
View Quote

+1

Since I have been running M1 in my street car for 12+ years, and 6 years ago changing my oil every 23K-27K miles, I don't see the point. I've sent my oil at 23K and 27K miles to Black Stone for analysis, and the lowest score that I hit was a 91% effective, and that was when I ran the oil to 27K. With just shy of 100K on the clock, I'm still putting down the same amount of power that I did back when.

So now that I have M1 in my push mower, what is the purpose of changing it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Typical recommendation is to tip the mower over on its side, and drain the oil out the filler hole.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can change it?

I just thought you were supposed to buy a new one when the old one stopped working....

You must be right, because there's no other way to get it out. There's a pad cast into the bottom of the engine for a plug, but no threaded hole/plug.

I can just imagine on of my buddies pulling up with me shaking the shit out of an upside down lawnmower, "Tater's finally lost it".  
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
My '86 Honda still runs like a top, but it burns enough that I pretty much just have to top it off every couple weeks at this point.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

TS
View Quote

Yeah, it's basic B&S. There is a pad cast into the engine block where the plug is supposed to be, but no plug.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Twice a year, mowing season runs from late Feb. to Oct./Nov. here plus one mowing in January normally to kill the weeds.At least once a week for 5 months out of the year and that's 3 hours a mowing, adds up.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Mower, rider, snowblower, weed wacker and Rhino get fresh fluids every year.

My first mower was a Craftsman, lasted 20 years with that schedule, must be on to something.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Haven't changed it in over 10 years, not joking.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Every year.

This is the correct answer.

Quoted:

I've never changed mine, nor have I changed the air filter or spark plug or anything else.  I put gas in it, and if the oil seems low (when I check it every other year), I pour a little more in.

Going on 14 years on the same mower with zero problems.  

This is what most people actually do.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Every 15 running hours
View Quote

Same here. I change the air filter, too, about as often. My yard is hilly and dusty, so, gas and dust clog the filters quickly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
They take oil?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I changed mine per recommendation with mobil 1 synthetic
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can change it?

Tip it on its side, and the oil comes out through the pour spout. Pretty yucky crap comes out of it!
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought one of these years ago. It makes changing fluids in just about anything a complete cake walk.

http://www.liquivac.com/applications/lawn-mower-oil-change/
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Every 100 hours on the tractor

Every other year, or every three years on the push mower (don't get all that much use anymore)

I reserve the right to procrastinate on either or both due to laziness.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Every year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Every year for a mower (more if heavily used)

Quads get changed 1-3x per year depending on use.  

Oil is cheap so why not change it to make an investment last.  Even if you use wally world supertech oil it is better to have fresh oil than old "high quality" oil.
View Quote

thats not true. studies are showing over changing your oil is not good for the vehicle
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Every year.  This Honda will likely outlast me.  It does the 6 month shift change with the snowblower on the same oil change interval
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Once in spring and once in fall on my JD318.
980hrs and still running like a champ.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

thats not true. studies are showing over changing your oil is not good for the vehicle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oil is cheap so why not change it to make an investment last.  Even if you use wally world supertech oil it is better to have fresh oil than old "high quality" oil.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Troy Built 17.5 HP Briggs - once a year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
About every other year. I hand sharpen the blade annually but finally give up and buy a new one about every two years also.  If it doesn't start I put in a new plug.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's basic B&S. There is a pad cast into the engine block where the plug is supposed to be, but no plug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TS

You don't sound too grateful - They saved you 17 cents by not including that plug!
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I change oil and filter every 100 hours. That is what my manual states.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS post of the week
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#27]
My commercial mowers get changed every 100 hours with Amsoil synthetic, remove and sharpen blades every 8 to 10 hours.

The oil in my home mower gets changed once a mowing season.

I have an 87 Honda push mower that I passed on to my 16 year old son and it still starts on the first pull.  I must be doing something right
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Change it to what?
View Quote

Exactly! I have a 9 year old Toro. Put gas in it and check the oil level every once in a while GTG!
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#29]
never

but mine is nuke powered
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I bought a lawn mower 8 years ago, and have yet to change the oil.

It's starting to bug me, so I think I finally will.

But how often do YOU change your lawn mower oil?  (mine is a push mower)
View Quote

Annually.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#31]
2 stroke Lawn Boy. Never.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Neva been done befo.

Sometimes I look to make sure there's something in there, that counts right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I sharpen the blade, change oil, and do general maintenance once per year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Tune up and oil change at the start of every mow season.

It's cheap, doesn't take long and is worth it for the protection.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Every year.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Every year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I try to do mine every 2 years on the riding mower.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I bought a lawn mower 8 years ago, and have yet to change the oil.

It's starting to bug me, so I think I finally will.

But how often do YOU change your lawn mower oil?  (mine is a push mower)
View Quote

If you have not changed it in that long, then do the following:

1. Remove spark plug

2. Poor 1 cup of gasoline into the engine where you would put oil in

3. Pull start cord about 30 times

4. Drain Oil/Gas mix

5. Refill with cheap oil

6. Pull start cord about 30 times

7. Drain cheap oil

8. Refill with your favorite brand of 30W motor oil

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You must be right, because there's no other way to get it out. There's a pad cast into the bottom of the engine for a plug, but no threaded hole/plug.

I can just imagine on of my buddies pulling up with me shaking the shit out of an upside down lawnmower, "Tater's finally lost it".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can change it?

I'm not sure what yall are talking about.  I've been repairing lawn mower for 4 years and have never seen an engine without a oil drain.  

On your standard Briggs:

Disconnect spark plug

Prop up deck and look under it from the front.

On the left side, just aft of the hub, you will see a square hole.

Insert 3/8" extension into square hole, attach socket and unscrew the oil drain.

Hell of a lot better than flipping the mower over.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine get changed at the end of every season so it's clean oil inside over the winter.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Once a year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can change it?

I have to tip mine on its side too.  No biggie, and not really too messy if you're careful.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what yall are talking about.  I've been repairing lawn mower for 4 years and have never seen an engine without a oil drain.  

On your standard Briggs:

Disconnect spark plug
Insert 3/8" extension into square hole, attach socket and unscrew the oil drain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can change it?

On your standard Briggs:

Disconnect spark plug

Hmmm, I'll have to check for that on mine.

But tipping it over is still easier.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

On your standard Briggs:

Disconnect spark plug
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can change it?

On your standard Briggs:

Disconnect spark plug

Never serviced a Honda GCV series?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#45]
The only new pushmower, that I've bought, failed me after two years of good maintenance. I've bought pieces of shit ever since and run them til they died, with nothing more than adding gas.
I just bought a new 60" zero turn and it is getting babied. I hope that Kawasaki motor lasts at least 15 years...
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Never. I use one of these:

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can change it?

On your standard Briggs:

Disconnect spark plug

Honda's are a different beast all together, I have several of those engines in the garage.

Those drain out of the side.  Great engine and it will run on 10w-30 car oil.

Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought my riding mower in 05 and last changed the oil in 06.

My push mower is from the mid '90s
and I've never changed oil in it
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:09:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Usually sometime in October. Mowing is pretty much done, mower is then ready for next spring.
Cheap Bolens I bought from Lowes in the late 90's I think.
Began running a little ragged last year, so I finally found the air cleaner and cleaned it for the first time. Mower perked back up.
May need a new one next year, ran over a rock and it vibrates some.
Been a first or second pull start at the beginning of mowing season since I bought it.
Found that a ratchet extension fits the plug perfectly for removal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:12:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Mid summer and after the last mow of the year.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top