Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2013 8:28:57 PM EDT
mak0's "Melt It Yourself Lead Core Lower" thread got me to thinking about another 80 percent lower concept:

1. On paper, an AR lower is  "sliced" lengthwise into several sections - Let's say 4 sections.

The lower that these sections are based upon is ordinary, except that it includes provisions (i.e., screw or rivet holes) for adding fasteners to "laminate" several sections together.

2. A different CAD drawing for each of these 4 sections is produced, and made freely available.

Individual companies pick one of these 4 sections to manufacture and sell. No single company manufactures or sells more than one section type.

4. End-users purchase sections from various companies, in separate transactions for each section.

How is this not legal?

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just cut the lower in half lengthwise and cut the threaded part off so you have 3 pieces.

Make a screw or latch of some sort to put them together and sell pieces separately

No 1 piece would require an FFL

Or is that what you're saying?

What's that have to do with laminated 80% lowers?

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
mak0's "Melt It Yourself Lead Core Lower" thread got me to thinking about another 80 percent lower concept:

1. On paper, an AR lower is  "sliced" lengthwise into several sections - Let's say 4 sections.

The lower that these sections are based upon is ordinary, except that it includes provisions (i.e., screw or rivet holes) for adding fasteners to "laminate" several sections together.

2. A different CAD drawing for each of these 4 sections is produced, and made freely available.

Individual companies pick one of these 4 sections to manufacture and sell. No single company manufactures or sells more than one section type.

4. End-users purchase sections from various companies, in separate transactions for each section.

How is this not legal?

Or just make and sell a bolt together kit, and just leave one of the less complicated parts out of the kit. End user makes it. I have shop space

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds pretty much like MAC side plates and center sections.  You don't see the same company selling both.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Heck, you could take an AR lower and make an integral buffer tube and just slice it in half longways

Make the lower so a clamp would fit around the magwell and 2 on the integral buffer tube.

And make slots in the parts so they fit precisely together.  Maybe make it so you put roll pins in the slots to hold it together

No serial number, no FFL, no problem!

As a disclaimer, the ATF would probably frown on this.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a bolt together lower out, mostly flat plate & 10-32 screws

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

awesome

http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=133335
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Heck, you could take an AR lower and make an integral buffer tube and just slice it in half longways

Make the lower so a clamp would fit around the magwell and 2 on the integral buffer tube.

And make slots in the parts so they fit precisely together.  Maybe make it so you put roll pins in the slots to hold it together

Using just 2 "sections" simplifies the assembly process for the end-user, but it also reduces the legal separation between the individual part and the finished product.

Having different companies manufacture each section is another firewall against legal repercussions - No company can be accused of making a part that by itself could be used to make a complete receiver.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered mine in 4 sections

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

awesome

I've made a few parts towards one of these but got distracted and have yet to finish it.

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I've just about got a DIY 80% lower together, would cost the end user $150 to buy a 'kit'. Each 'kit' would produce 10 lowers or so. Phenominally easy to make, very rugged too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've just about got a DIY 80% lower together, would cost the end user $150 to buy a 'kit'. Each 'kit' would produce 10 lowers or so. Phenominally easy to make, very rugged too.

This interests me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#13]

It was dun befo that... Look up KT Ordnance.

The ATF frowned upon those shenanigans.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#14]
What about molds and Field's metal?  You could make your own molds with casting sand once you have one, and the lowers usually stay relatively cool, hopefully below 144F.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It was dun befo that... Look up KT Ordnance.

The ATF frowned upon those shenanigans.

The kit I linked requires quite a bit of welding, not just some screws.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Guys, during the 94-04 ban everyway to possibly build a lower was tried multiple times, most were not pretty but most worked fine. search the archives, it's all there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I am just going to continue making mine out of oak with metal sleeve inserts for the pins.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I am just going to continue making mine out of oak with metal sleeve inserts for the pins.

Wood look awesome with this furniture

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

awesome

stamped metal

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Edit: Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

not roll pins, create a clamp force with screws/bolts.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Go on...
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I ordered mine in 4 sections

came here to post this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top