Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2013 4:25:29 PM EDT
I am heartily sick of the practice of using plural pronouns as though they were singular, a measure undertaken in service to plainly stupid concern over gender exclusion. Examples of the usage: "If a student raises their hand, call on them by name." "On accessing a secure area, an employee must enter their six-digit Employee ID Number into the keypad." "If a customer has a complaint, ask them if they would like to see a manager."

A pox on the jackasses who initiated and the sheep who perpetuate this horse shit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Always wondered that.

Looks like "they" or "he or she" is correct.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/he-or-she-versus-they
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Grammar isn't for everyone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
First-World Problems.....and this one didnt even make the list.

Go have  a beer, relax, be grateful to God for what you have, bought and paid for by so many.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Aint nobody got time fo them!
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Grab a few of these ones.

He went there for sure.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I work in an industry where written procedures are the coin of the realm.

I'm sorry to say that I have caught myself writing in the neuter tense, but that's life. I notice it, but it doesn't bother me too much...
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
8:30 on 4th of July before a long weekend and this is consuming your thoughts? Go pack you range bag or put your fishing rod in the car for tomorrow.  

edit not that you are wrong. You know they call actresses "actors" now? Reeeedickyouless

"They" might, but I don't.

- A Curdmudgeon.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am heartily sick of the practice of using plural pronouns as though they were singular, a measure undertaken in service to plainly stupid concern over gender exclusion. Examples of the usage: "If a student raises their hand, call on them by name." "On accessing a secure area, an employee must enter their six-digit Employee ID Number into the keypad." "If a customer has a complaint, ask them if they would like to see a manager."

A pox on the jackasses who initiated and the sheep who perpetuate this horse shit.

Perhaps you might explain this?

a measure undertaken in service to plainly stupid concern over gender exclusion

BTW, I write a lot; user documentation, tech manuals, as well as a huge amount of international correspondence.  I take advantage of anything I can to not have to battle the him/her, he/she conundrum.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
When (grammatical) gender is indeterminate, the masculine pronoun is used, but this wads up the panties of the feminazis, so we don't dare do that.

Better to speak incorrectly than to offend the ignorant. (example, niggardly)

I think this goes all the way back to Anglo-Saxon.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When (grammatical) gender is indeterminate, the masculine pronoun is used, but this wads up the panties of the feminazis, so we don't dare do that.

Well, have site staff change your username to "Them" to avoid offending delicate sensitivities.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps you might explain this?

a measure [an action] undertaken [initiated or pursued] in service to [in furtherance or support of] plainly stupid [manifestly ill-informed, ill-considered, or ill-advised; obviously wrong] concern over [worry about; interest in] gender [in this sense, sex] exclusion [negative discrimination; pretermission]

BTW, I write a lot; user documentation, tech manuals, as well as a huge amount of international correspondence.  I take advantage of anything I can to not have to battle the him/her, he/she conundrum.

There's no conundrum (apart from one I hope I have solved for you). Until the very recent nonsense of using plural pronouns as universals, masculine pronouns were used throughout the history of the language for that purpose. Pronoun-referent agreement is now to be sacrificed to assuage a purely imaginary injury. While there is at root no purely rational basis for any convention of language, neither is there any rational basis for overturning centuries or millennia of settled usage in favor of the social militancy of the day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, have site staff change your username to "Them" to avoid offending delicate sensitivities.

I never thought of that.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been out of the city to long to even begin to decipher this post.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
8:30 on 4th of July before a long weekend and this is consuming your thoughts? Go pack you range bag or put your fishing rod in the car for tomorrow.  

edit not that you are wrong. You know they call actresses "actors" now? Reeeedickyouless

Long weekend?

I have to work tomorrow.

OP....a man's gotta know his limitations. Go shoot something this weekend.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]
It annoys me as well. But consider: we were the only two arfcommers to fly across the country to celebrate the birthday of the world's stuffiest lexicographer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's what a Linguists Prof has to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTYZm0gyKqI

All of her "The Word on Language and Grammar" clips are interesting and informative.  (She was my son's Prof for a couple classes at Michigan).
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#22]
They day I saw a trained monkey wearing short pants and a tiny top hat I knew the world as we know it was doomed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hate typing words in an attempt to please others.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Tlansrated into Chinese:

I am healtiry sick of the plactice of using prular plonouns as though they wele singural, a measule undeltaken in selvice to prainry stupid conceln ovel gendel excrusion. Exampres of the usage: "If a student laises theil hand, carr on them by name." "On accessing a secule alea, an emproyee must entel theil six-digit Emproyee ID Numbel into the keypad." "If a customel has a compraint, ask them if they wourd rike to see a managel."

A pox on the jackasses who initiated and the sheep who pelpetuate this holse shit.

Prease lead out roud.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Concur.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I know right!
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I still say Stewardess is gender neutral enough.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I still say Stewardess is gender neutral enough.

Sometimes the spelling needs tweaking,,,stewardeth
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Dem.

It's dem, not them.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Always wondered that.

Looks like "they" or "he or she" is correct.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/he-or-she-versus-they

We only ever used he or she in those cases.  That is what I was taught.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Long weekend?

I have to work tomorrow.

OP....a man's gotta know his limitations. Go shoot something this weekend.

OP ain't working tomorrow  

Lazy lawyers!!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top