Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2013 3:24:19 PM EDT
A friend that went on a fishing trip to Alaska last year gave me about 15-20 pounds of salmon a few months ago.  He had it in his freezer for about 8 months before he gave it to me.  My wife cooked some last week and it tasted a little bitter.  Does fish normally go bad if it's been in the freezer too long?
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure but some pics of the wife would help joggle my memory
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Mine too

Rules, we have rules......
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as it has no freeze burn it will be fine. If the fish are whole you may see ice crystals but when you thaw it you usually are good. I have kept fish in the freezer for over a year and it was fine. The trick is just wrapping it well in plastic wrap or vacuum seal it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Freezer burn, but I don't think it would go rancid.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Friend of mine has an annual shindig that has been going on for 30 years, usually 100 or more folks.

prepping for the party I stumbled across a long forgotten  King Salmon, still in the box, in the bottom of the deep freeze.

Three or four years old, minimum, skin all freezer burned.

Wrapped it in foil with seasoning and tossed it on the grill, it was the big hit of the party, everybody wanting more....
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
uhhhhhh yeah
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I just tossed some freezer burned salmon out yesterday.  It was turning a white/tan color.  I have eaten some with a little freezer burn and it can develop an off taste.  I'm still here though.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I've eaten 3yo salmon that was just fine, but it was kept in foodsaver bags. Could be theway you cooked it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Friend of mine has an annual shindig that has been going on for 30 years, usually 100 or more folks.

prepping for the party I stumbled across a long forgotten  King Salmon, still in the box, in the bottom of the deep freeze.

Three or four years old, minimum, skin all freezer burned.

Wrapped it in foil with seasoning and tossed it on the grill, it was the big hit of the party, everybody wanting more....

Woof.  Guess here in the great Pacific NW we are spoiled.  Yea sure we get a shit ton of rain, but we get fresh salmon.  As in catch it and grill it fresh.  Not sure I'd even think about eating salmon from a box.

Eventually the lure of sun will send me south, but until then friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon.

To the OP - properly cared for and sealed it should be fine as long as it isn't freezer burned.  We vacuum pac ours and it keeps that long (unless we eat it first!)

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

gimme a sec
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Wrapped tightly i a NON-frost free freezer it should last a good while.

The frost free free raises the temp above freezing to melt off the frost and greatly shortens the life of frozen food.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Everything can go bad in the freezer. Almost certainly won't be dangerous to eat, but can begin to taste funky, as you describe.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Google it.  I did on some meat we threw out.  Google says it was safe to eat, just flavor is affected.

Someone told me one time to put fish in a zip lock, cover it with water, touch of salt, throw it in the freezer.  When you take it out, its perfect.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Will prob taste funny or have a weird texture
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Google it.  I did on some meat we threw out.  Google says it was safe to eat, just flavor is affected.

Someone told me one time to put fish in a zip lock, cover it with water, touch of salt, throw it in the freezer.  When you take it out, its perfect.

No need for salt just plain water.

Even vacuum packed salmon will go bad(freezer burn).

Wrapping in saran wrap helps even more.

Wife cuts off the freezer burn but if it goes far enough into the meat we cook it for the dog.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
It wont go un-eatable bad - but it will go un-palatable bad....
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
it's fine, maybe tastes a little off.  It's fine.

Alternate suggestion:  Thaw it, flake it and make salmon cakes with bread crumbs, eggs, and seasoning.  It'll be good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too

Sorry for the delay. I took a nap.  

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq322/chili99/z74903k_zpsc368767c.jpg

And you're worried about the salmon??????
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome!

IBTBGR & IBTL
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Awesome!

IBTBGR & IBTL

What's IBTBGR?
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome!

IBTBGR & IBTL

What's IBTBGR?
In Before the Boobs Get Removed

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome!

IBTBGR & IBTL

What's IBTBGR?
In Before the Boobs Get Removed

Is it non COC?

ETA: Thanks. Just read the COC.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Is it non COC?

ETA: Thanks. Just read the COC.

My eyes will always be grateful!

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#26]
If it is properly taken care of, it can last for a few years.  Up here in AK most folks vacuum pack everything we catch/hunt and it lasts a good long time.

If it is the usual paper/saranwrap setup, it can get freezer burnt.  It won't go rancid, but the burnt sections will taste like satan's asshole.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If it is properly taken care of, it can last for a few years.  Up here in AK most folks vacuum pack everything we catch/hunt and it lasts a good long time.

If it is the usual paper/saranwrap setup, it can get freezer burnt.  It won't go rancid, but the burnt sections will taste like satan's asshole.

It's vacuum sealed
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's vacuum sealed

Huh.  Provided it didn't smell bad when thawed, and you pared off any potentially freezer burnt bits, it was probably just the individual fish.  A big part of the flavor of salmon comes down to how it was caught.  Growing up, we would just stick a stringer through their gills and toss em back in the water.  As an adult, I clean and gut the moment they are out of the water.  Tastes a million times better just because the flesh isn't getting bloodshot/full of hormones as the fish bleeds out on a stringer.  (kind of how venison tastes different between dropping right there and having to track it for a quarter mile after a lung shot)

If it is a big flavor issue though, I'd definitely try a marinade.  I usually do it myself, but in a pinch, the Kona Mountain maranaides you can get at walmart (at last in HI and AK) are actually pretty damn good.  The Teryaki sesame does one hell of a salmon if you let it sit for an afternoon.  Bake/grill and set on a bed of steamed rice and you have one hell of a dinner

Hmmm... I have a long weekend next week.  Might need to do that.  Been a while
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Folks went Salmon fishing a couple of times when I was young.  We lived nowhere near the ocean.  Salmon kept well in the freezer for a couple of ears but here was really no competition other than the occasional trout.  If you have Haddock or Cod in there then there may be some friction. Watch for gang signs and colors.  They generally aren't bad fish but can be easily turned.  Pike, Pickerel, or even sunfish?  Get them the hell out of there.  They will turn a good Salmon into a neighborhood nightmare in no time.  

Be tolerant but be vigilant.

Good Luck Sir.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too

Wait...Wat?

Woo Hoo!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too

I hate salmon, and don't give a fuck about if it goes bad or not, that said ..this thread has been saved
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Folks went Salmon fishing a couple of times when I was young.  We lived nowhere near the ocean.  Salmon kept well in the freezer for a couple of ears but here was really no competition other than the occasional trout.  If you have Haddock or Cod in there then there may be some friction. Watch for gang signs and colors.  They generally aren't bad fish but can be easily turned.  Pike, Pickerel, or even sunfish?  Get them the hell out of there.  They will turn a good Salmon into a neighborhood nightmare in no time.  

Be tolerant but be vigilant.

Good Luck Sir.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top