Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/28/2013 8:39:44 PM EDT
We had a few threads about this, but they have since been archived.  The .17 Winchester Super Magnum ammunition is now shipping, as well as the new Savage B.MAG rifle.

To fill in some whom may have missed the past threads, this is a new cartridge created by Winchester that claims to shoot a 20 grain V-Max at 3000 fps and a 25 grain V-Max at 2600 fps!

Here are some photos and a link to my full report from back in January 2013, after the SHOT Show:

The ammo I just received today (the rifle will hit my FFL next week as well):

Lastly, here is a link to the full gallery of pictures I took at SHOT:

http://www.varminter.com/17-winchester-super-magnum-and-the-savage-bmag-rifle-image-gallery/

-------------

The reaction to this release seems to be big.  The guns and ammo that has shown up at retailers are selling quickly.  One retailer sold 88 of the Savage B.MAGs in 2.5 days!

I am heading out to shoot some Prairie Dogs with the combo once I have everything all set.

Has anyone received theirs yet?

Eric  
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of it but it looks kinda neat. How pricey is ammo?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
i want an AR upper in that caliber
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Never heard of it but it looks kinda neat. How pricey is ammo?

yea, how much? that'll make it or break it for me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i want an AR upper in that caliber

fuckkkk yesss.

what's the price on the rifle and/or ammo? i've been dying for a .22 but might jump on this instead.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are eventually able to get it from a large retailer, it is only $15.00 to $16.00 a box of 50.  The Savage B.MAGs are at $350 MSRP, but I got mine for $300.00 before the "rush".  I have a few others on pre-order as well.

It is affordable and should be a great rimfire/varmint caliber for folks who do not reload!

Eric  
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
who carries them
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are eventually able to get it from a large retailer, it is only $15.00 to $16.00 a box of 50.  The Savage B.MAGs are at $350 MSRP, but I got mine for $300.00 before the "rush".  I have a few others on pre-order as well.

It is affordable and should be a great rimfire/varmint caliber for folks who do not reload!

Eric  

damn i think i want one.

where did you order yours?
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Sold 88 in 2.5 days? Sure it wasn't 87?

Sounds neat for yotes. Cool.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Plans for a left-handed B-Mag?
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I would buy it but with only super and magnum it lacks description . It it possible to be special or maybe duper added so that I get the extra power of death .

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
All I can say is to check with your LGS.  The guy I got one of mine from is in PA, but he is out.  The ones on Gunbroker are going for a more than I am willing to pay.  The ammo on GB is crazy, but that is to be expected with a new round.

Btw, Volquartsen is working on a rifle as well!

Eric  
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#12]
What brass is that necked down from? Centerfire means no varmint hunting at night here in Michigan. Looks like a pretty neat caliber, might be the ultimate tweener gun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What brass is that necked down from? Centerfire means no varmint hunting at night here in Michigan. Looks like a pretty neat caliber, might be the ultimate tweener gun.

Nail gun
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's rimfire.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#16]
whoa
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks again, Eric. I greatly appreciate all of your help in answering all my questions and helping me find a rifle. Now, the wait begins for it to arrive at my FFL.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#18]
No problem!

Eric  
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Does the round fit in the Ruger .22 magnum rotary magazine?  I have a Ruger .17 HMR lever action and it would be neat to be able to buy a barrel and use the new ammo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#20]
One arrived at the Mason City Walmart today. $297. Rifle looks like a mini Savage Axis.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Is the the answer to a question nobody asked?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome, hopefully ammo won't be too wild. I'll definitely be grabbing one if I can afford to feed it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does the round fit in the Ruger .22 magnum rotary magazine?  I have a Ruger .17 HMR lever action and it would be neat to be able to buy a barrel and use the new ammo.

I'm going to have to say no. The 17WSM is a necked down .27 case.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Awesome, hopefully ammo won't be too wild. I'll definitely be grabbing one if I can afford to feed it.

$15.00 a box for 50 on average.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry, I just don't get it. What is the benefit?
What does it do better than .223?

ETA: will it punch through armor? Seems a lit like the 5.7 round....
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

really? Why is it then anytime that something new is produced, that there is always someone who breaks out this worn out phrase. The very fact that the guns and ammo are selling indicates that for many people that it in fact fills a need of the theirs. A rimfire that combines the best attributes of the 22 mag and 17 hmr, two very popular rounds, why the fuck would anyone want that, thats just tarded.

Seriously, it should make a great varmint or target round. The velocity should put it into the realm of humanly harvesting coyotes, which a 22 mag will do, but a 17 wont. Wow that took 3 fucking seconds to think a couple of reasons for this round. And it will do it for less than low weight varmint 223 and with a lighter set-up. Explore the many horizons of shooting, you just might grow a bit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think it's ment to be compaired to a .223. It looks like the best of both worlds if a 22 mag and 17 HMR had kids.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to have to say no. The 17WSM is a necked down .27 case.

http://www.huntingclub.com/Portals/0/uploadedimages/Gun%20Blog/22.22WMR.17%20HMR.17WSMs..jpg

I was just looking at a pic of the 5mm Remington, and thinking along the same lines.

Definitely looked bigger in diameter than a .22 WRFM case in the photos . . .

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The velocity should put it into the realm of humanly harvesting coyotes, which a 22 mag will do, but a 17 wont.

Yep, the ammo box lists  coyote and varment. My rifle should arrive next week. I just need to find some ammo for it. Both are selling like hotcakes.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm kinda wondering how loud it is.  Definitely interested though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm kinda wondering how loud it is.  Definitely interested though.

PM the OP. He's fired it and has been really helpful in answering all my questions about it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

really? Why is it then anytime that something new is produced, that there is always someone who breaks out this worn out phrase. The very fact that the guns and ammo are selling indicates that for many people that it in fact fills a need of the theirs. A rimfire that combines the best attributes of the 22 mag and 17 hmr, two very popular rounds, why the fuck would anyone want that, thats just tarded.

Seriously, it should make a great varmint or target round. The velocity should put it into the realm of humanly harvesting coyotes, which a 22 mag will do, but a 17 wont. Wow that took 3 fucking seconds to think a couple of reasons for this round. And it will do it for less than low weight varmint 223 and with a lighter set-up. Explore the many horizons of shooting, you just might grow a bit.

I am sure hunters in states that only allow rimfire after dark don't think it is worthless.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can you find .223 varmint loads for $15/50?

No?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Plenty of paragraphs written on it... even with the graphs pictures,
I see it has you stumped.

Your avatar fits.  

I want one in a Remington 597 model with 10, 20 and 30rd alloy mags.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#35]
First off, anyone who thinks of a .22 magnum as a coyote round, doesn't actually shoot many coyotes.  I "guess" it's only saving grace is that it's a rimfire...so for those who want to hunt at night, sure, it's an option.  Regardless, if it gets you guys excited, then great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that people are buying it is not proof of anything other than good marketing.

Why would anyone use a .17 anything to hunt coyotes?  If it will do the same thing a 22 mag will do what makes it better other than some graphs and stats that may not mean anything in the real world?

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that people are buying it is not proof of anything other than good marketing.

Why would anyone use a .17 anything to hunt coyotes?  If it will do the same thing a 22 mag will do what makes it better other than some graphs and stats that may not mean anything in the real world?

A round that has better markedly better BC, muzzle velocity and energy retention than 22 mag is somehow good marketing? It should do everything the 22 mag does with the excellent accuracy of the 17 hmr. How is this a bad thing? It should prove plenty capable of taking coyotes, or a myriad of other small game.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I have killed 100's of coyotes with a .17 Remington.  If you want to save fur, the 17 caliber is the way to go.  We will see if the 25 grain V-Max offering at 2600 feet per second will be good for coyote sized animals.  There are lots of areas in the US that you cannot hunt with centerfires at night or during the deer season (without a tag for the area), so those folks are going to pick these rifles up.

I am going to use this round mainly on Prairie Dogs, California Ground Squirrels and Jack Rabbits.  Do I need another rimfire?  No.  But no one really needs more than a few guns, so that is a silly argument.  

The cartridge itself is running about 33,000 pounds of pressure, so it cannot be used in every 17HMR or 22 Magnum rifle with a barrel change.  Ironically, this is the same issue the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum had when it was released.  Savage built this B.MAG rifle specifically for this round.  They stated to me at SHOT that they will be chambering other calibers in the same gun, so we will see what happens.

Ammo is $14 to $16 a box.  I just got some from a major retailer and they were $15.00 a box of #50.

I hope that answers some questions!

Eric  
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#39]

$1.50 a round on GB
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks great if the following apply:
-you don't want to reload
- want near centerfire power at lower cost than factory centerfire and/or lower hassle than reloaded centerfire
-you want to hunt varmints, but can't use a centerfire for legal reasons

If they can keep prices consistent with .17HMR ammo, it could do well.
For non-reloaders, there's not a lot available in good bullet varmint ammo between $15 per 50 for 17 WSM, and about $40 per 50 for centerfire varmint ammo.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have killed 100's of coyotes with a .17 Remington.  If you want to save fur, the 17 caliber is the way to go.  We will see if the 25 grain V-Max offering at 2600 feet per second will be good for coyote sized animals.  There are lots of areas in the US that you cannot hunt with centerfires at night or during the deer season (without a tag for the area), so those folks are going to pick these rifles up.

I am going to use this round mainly on Prairie Dogs, California Ground Squirrels and Jack Rabbits.  Do I need another rimfire?  No.  But no one really needs more than a few guns, so that is a silly argument.  

The cartridge itself is running about 33,000 pounds of pressure, so it cannot be used in every 17HMR or 22 Magnum rifle with a barrel change.  Ironically, this is the same issue the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum had when it was released.  Savage built this B.MAG rifle specifically for this round.  They stated to me at SHOT that they will be chambering other calibers in the same gun, so we will see what happens.

Ammo is $14 to $16 a box.  I just got some from a major retailer and they were $15.00 a box of #50.

I hope that answers some questions!

Eric  

I was just on the Ruger website, looking at the 77/22 Hornet and wondering if it would be a candidate for the new round. It's a pretty stout action, not sure if it's that strong.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
First off, anyone who thinks of a .22 magnum as a coyote round, doesn't actually shoot many coyotes.  I "guess" it's only saving grace is that it's a rimfire...so for those who want to hunt at night, sure, it's an option.  Regardless, if it gets you guys excited, then great.

Nobody has BEEFED- UP the 22mag yet.  It will come.  Hmmm, 45gr.@ 3000+  BUT it still won't kill the 223 Rem.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Using the big nail gun blank as a parent case was damn smart.  They already make those by the gazillion.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was just on the Ruger website, looking at the 77/22 Hornet and wondering if it would be a candidate for the new round. It's a pretty stout action, not sure if it's that strong.

Skip to 2:48. He touches on the topic a little bit.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

$1.50 a round on GB

What do you expect from GunJoker.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I will be getting one for sure .....Im exited about the caliber and its varmint possibilities

Very impressive stats , thanks for those charts .

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I will be getting one for sure .....Im exited about the caliber and its varmint possibilities
Very impressive stats , thanks for those charts .

If you want 1 now, there's a guy on GB that has 5 reserves left for $349.No bidding, just a flat price. The rifles are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. That's where the OP and myself ordered from.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

ETA: will it punch through armor? Seems a lit like the 5.7 round....

Around here....the 17 HMR is perfect for prairie dog hunting.  The 17 can be fired all day long, and prairie dogs didn't get scared off. (not a loud round)
1 shot from a centerfire rifle, prairie dogs stay in the holes for the rest of the day.

17 HMR until the wind blows, then 1 shot with a 204 Ruger...the day is done.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#49]
That looks like a caliber that would actually be in stock at my local Walmart
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top