Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/25/2013 11:28:47 AM EDT
I recently picked up a Lee Enfield No4 Mk. 1.   After years of wanting one for no other reason than I think they are awesome, this showed up in the gun store.   I'll admit off the start that I know very little about Enfields, sure I can hold my own in a conversation about them but in regards to markings I know little.   I am pretty sure that it was built in Maltby in 1943 going off the serial number.  

I have not cleaned this rifle yet, I have not fired it.   I have taken it out of the stock to check markings and serial number but that is it.   The band, bolt and barrel all have the same serial number, and if it is in fact from 1943 I can only imagine the stories this rifle can tell, maybe it sat in an armory or maybe it saw action.  Either way I'm in love with the damn thing.   I would like to have the metal restored and the wood cleaned up and refinished but rest easy knowing that this rifle won't be bubba chopped.   Anyways on to the pics.

If anyone can help with marks that would be great.

here is the first shot of the serial number and year

serial number on the bolt

S126

S126 and SM

Butt plate

another shot of the side

inside the wood covering the barrel, I believe it says   SL 74  then the trident mark

misc marks on barrel under wood

NG7 or N67 under the front sight

I'm no Old_Painless when it comes to gun threads, but this rifle is awesome, even though its seen better days.   One can only imagine the stories that some rifles could tell.  

ETA:  If you click view image they will come up larger for better viewing
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have nothing to add except, wow NICE RIFLE and GREAT PICS!

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a beauty.

Can you imagine what it looked like fresh out of the factory?

I would say it would rival any custom gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Where is all the cosmoline?

Awesome rifle
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Who repairs these and restores them?

I have one that needs the safety repaired and I would like to have it checked.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]
so sexy!
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Who repairs these and restores them?

I have one that needs the safety repaired and I would like to have it checked.

I do not know.   I will either do the wood myself or have my one of my two uncles that make furniture and restore wood do it.  As for the metal I haven't decided.   I'm not against bluing it, but I am leaning more towards having it look like the semi gloss black that it once was.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice pics dude............damn.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I would not refinish that rifle, especially the metal. Looks good as is with a lot of history to it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine.

No4 Mk1*

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Awesome pics, #7 looks great

Edit: I wouldn't refinish it either. My Garand came with a CMP stock so I don't feel bad but my '43 mosin still has all the dings and gouges (including the ones I put there). I like the history personally. Some day you can give your kid that rifle and they'll keep adding to it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Definitely has a been there done that look to it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone know what the markings stand for?   Or is there a decent website (other than arfcom ) where I can look them up.    A lot of sites I have been directed too no longer exist
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
ROF Maltby manufacturered (the M in front of the year as well as the "1" in the SN", the arrow is the acceptance stamp, AH is the SN prefix,

The others are subcontractor markings

SM - Singer Manufacturing
S126 - S.E. Welstead

Maltby rifles are known to be made from alot of subcontracted parts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one stamped "Longbranch"
]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ROF Maltby manufacturered (the M in front of the year as well as the "1" in the SN", the arrow is the acceptance stamp, AH is the SN prefix,

S126 - S.E. Welstead

thanks   I thought that the SM was for singer but honestly wasn't sure.    

I suppose I need to find a bayonet and a sling now
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#18]
We have a C&R forum here, more experts in there than you can shake a stick at.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/14_Curios_andamp__Relics.html

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice rifle and pics, OP. Please don't refinish it. Doing so will reduce the value.

The Long Branch No.4 was made in Canada. They are considered to be among the best of the No.4s.

Mine No.4 Mk.I was made at ROF Fazakerly in 1994, then FTRed (Factory Thorough Repaired) there in 1948. I bought it at Woolworth's in 1985 or so. .303 Ball will smack the 200 yard steel gong around with authority.

In case you don't know, here is how to properly load a .303 clip to avoid rimlock:

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

S126 - S.E. Welstead

This. Your example has a typical post WWII mix of parts and is in very good condition...enjoy it. I have a '43 Maltby that's very accurate it's one of my favorite No4's.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Love the Enfields... have a few.

A couple of Long Branch, an Ishapore 2A1 .308 and a No. I, Mk.III* that was converted to single-shot .410 shotgun in India.

Been saving my brass, now I need to get to reloading for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Depending on what is wrong with the safety you can remove it (one screw) and bend the spring a bit. The spring is going to be the figure of eight looking part. I just had to do it to a 1918 No1 MkIII* that the safety was sort of working on. After the fix it is a fully fuctioning safety again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Nice rifle and pics, OP. Please don't refinish it. Doing so will reduce the value.

The Long Branch No.4 was made in Canada. They are considered to be among the best of the No.4s.

Mine No.4 Mk.I was made at ROF Fazakerly in 1994, then FTRed (Factory Thorough Repaired) there in 1948. I bought it at Woolworth's in 1985 or so. .303 Ball will smack the 200 yard steel gong around with authority.

In case you don't know, here is how to properly load a .303 clip to avoid rimlock:

Holy shit those things must cost a fortune if a time machine is involved in the manufacturing process!

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your pics are so good I can smell it.

Great rifles.

oddly enough it was sitting in my safe next to one of your NDS-2s

Anyone know a place where a guy can buy a bayonet and sling for this fine rifle?
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Fleabay is actually preaty good about Enfield stuff. It is not like German stuff where you have to look for forged stuff or modern stuff trying to be passed as WW2 issue. Otherwise IMA or a quick Google/Bing search will bring up a few places that deal with Enfield stuff.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit those things must cost a fortune if a time machine is involved in the manufacturing process!

I caught that too!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Fleabay is actually preaty good about Enfield stuff. It is not like German stuff where you have to look for forged stuff or modern stuff trying to be passed as WW2 issue. Otherwise IMA or a quick Google/Bing search will bring up a few places that deal with Enfield stuff.

i figured as much, I just wanted to know if anyone knew of good dealers that don't have fakes
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice piece.

they are sweet shooters, I had one with a brass butt plate...........shoulda kept it!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#31]
tag fro when I get home tongith
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The danger with rarer Enfield parts is that the Indians still have the machinery and tooling to produce a lot of it and have been doing so for a number of years. This especially true of the No4mkIT sniper mounts, optics, etc. Not super hard to tell if you know what you're looking at, but some of it might fool a casual looker.

Sling and bayo reproductions are out there too.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Beautiful rifle. I'd leave it just the way it is.

Also, what did you do  to take those great pics? I am utterly useless at that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Beautiful rifle!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A couple of Long Branch, an Ishapore 2A1 .308 and a No. I, Mk.III* that was converted to single-shot .410 shotgun in India.

Dirt cheap to shoot with reloaded ammo.  Accurate too.  But, keep in mind 2 facts about No. 4s:

1) they lock up at the rear of the bolt, not the front like a 1903 or Mauser or Rem. 700, and the actions flex during firing, plus

2) the chambers are cut very generously to tolerate "trench dirt" during combat.

These 2 factors = limited brass life.  The No. 4 really stretches out the brass. Just keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice.  I just saw your FB post and was wondering where the pics were
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dirt cheap to shoot with reloaded ammo.  Accurate too.  But, keep in mind 2 facts about No. 4s:

1) they lock up at the rear of the bolt, not the front like a 1903 or Mauser or Rem. 700, and the actions flex during firing, plus

2) the chambers are cut very generously to tolerate "trench dirt" during combat.

These 2 factors = limited brass life.  The No. 4 really stretches out the brass. Just keep an eye on it.

+1, learn to anneal your brass if you want it to last.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The danger with rarer Enfield parts is that the Indians still have the machinery and tooling to produce a lot of it and have been doing so for a number of years. This especially true of the No4mkIT sniper mounts, optics, etc. Not super hard to tell if you know what you're looking at, but some of it might fool a casual looker.

Sling and bayo reproductions are out there too.

True enough, I guess I haven't had to try to find any of the rare parts. I just try to find parts for standard issue stuff like nose caps or webbing. I was just saying it isn't as bad as trying to find period correct German/Nazi stuff.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#40]
you guys are great you know that?   Its little bits of info that are great when a rifle is "new" to a shooter.  

My uncle just gave me my first box of ammo since the shop didn't have any.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Cool beans. Here are mine.

1943 Fazakerley Mk I.

And a 1954 Fazakerley Mk II.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

S126 - S.E. Welstead

thanks   I thought that the SM was for singer but honestly wasn't sure.    

I suppose I need to find a bayonet and a sling now

Front sight, and rear sight?, N67 is also Singer Mfg (Clydebank, not Elizabeth, NJ)
SL and N74 on the wood is William Sykes Ltd, Yorkshire

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#44]
You could always camo it

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#45]
WELL DONE OP!  
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Damn right,

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#48]
True story.

A shipment came into the gun store in the late 90's. I was just out of HS and had to have one. Cost $80 for an ugly looking thing with a near perfect bore and action.

Anyhoo.

Walking out into the field to shoot it and see a dove land at the top of a big white oak at least 100 yards away. I just couldn't help it. First shot through it and I was standing so I had zero intentions of even hitting it. I just wanted the BOOM. I squeeze one off and I'll be damned, big cloud of feathers! I am not saying it was skill, more luck. But by God, I was sold on the No 4 MkI that day.

Later gave it to a buddy as a wedding gift. Wish I hadn't. But, there are worse things to do with one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice rifle!, Clean it and nothing else, enjoy it!
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Before

After

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top