BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to Pandora, last.FM, and i would assume other free music streaming services (i use Last.fm on my xbox) and creat a "Folk Metal" channel................ and enjoy all of the above listed bands and more.......... it has totally opened my eyes up to a whole new world of Metal.

Folk metal is perhaps my favorite type.  

Well I'll be damned.  Maybe our resident Steve Vai clone really did play for the original Highwaymen.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Just listened to Dio, Cinderella,  and now Ratt on slacker radio. Damn, they rock.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just listened to Dio, Cinderella,  and now Ratt on slacker radio. Damn, they rock.

LOL, was just listening to some RATT as well!
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my all-time favorites from around here, still keeping it real:
http://www.andytimmons.com/

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted: These "new" metal guys are too heavy and crunchy, not innovative, and don't have any range to their playing.
You need to expand your horizons. You mean to tel me these guys have no range?

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll probably get crucified for this, but none of those you listed were ever all that interesting to me. It seems like the only people who listen to them are other guitar players (and I am a guitar player, FWIW). It's just fretboard masturbation, to me.

Talented and technical but without a soul.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWEEET!  Love the Powerwolf!!

Wow, didn't know Seven Kingdoms was from USA... I know there were a few out of Florida, but most people don't want to listen to this kind of stuff unfortunately.

I don't get bored with it.

My main playlist consists of: After Forever, Ambeon, Assemblage 23, Avantasia (!!!!), Axenstar, Dragonforce, Edguy (!!!!), Elvenking, Epica (!!!!), Evergrey, Freedom Call, Galloglass, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall (!!!), Hanzel Und Gretyl, Human Fortress, Iced Earth, Iron Fire, Satch, Petrucci, Kamelot, Luca Turilli, Lunatica, Nightwish, Rhapsody of Fire, Savatage, Secret Sphere, Shadows Fall, Sonata Arctica, Vai, Stratovarius, Therion, Within Temptation, and some more I can't remember.

I can't stand black metal. If the vocals sound like Satan's spawn coming out of the pits of hell, I probably won't like it

I want to hear of arrows flying, swords crashing, wizards plotting, and falling into the looking glass.

Turisas - Stand Up And Fight

Tyr - Hold The Heathen Hammer High

Alestorm - Keelhauled

Wilderun - How Stands The Glass Around?

etc.

He may dig Ensiferum as well

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to Pandora, last.FM, and i would assume other free music streaming services (i use Last.fm on my xbox) and creat a "Folk Metal" channel................ and enjoy all of the above listed bands and more.......... it has totally opened my eyes up to a whole new world of Metal.

Folk metal is perhaps my favorite type.  

Well I'll be damned.  Maybe our resident Steve Vai clone really did play for the original Highwaymen.

? I dont get what that had to do wiht my comment

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He may dig Ensiferum as well  

Doesn't everyone?
Then some Sabbaton.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
*snip*

There's always some form of music that fills the place and role of rock and roll.   Which is, "Young people expressing their desire to not be like their parents, even in musical tastes."

In essence, whatever's popular NOW actually IS the rock and roll of today.   It might not fit at all into the genre of rock that YOU most identify with,  but it's still rock
in that very basic spiritual sense.

*snip*

CJ

I'm just going to DROP this right here.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a huge thing typed out but my browser crashed.

That pussy hack Cobain killed that style of music. He was talentless and did the world a favor removing himself. The best thing that went through his brain was shotgun pellets.

Then all the little white kids decided they needed to act like gangster thugs and started listening to gangster rap.

There was no evolution, just a full stop crash and the start into what was called grunge. Then every emotionally unstable kid who could play 3 chords decided to make music.

When I was playing in the 1980's, I played a lot like Vai and was mistaken for him a few times. Lynch still rocks and is out blowing people away.

If Lynch is marginal I better get my hearing checked.  Rather listen to him than Vai any day.  Include the rest like Lee, Zakk.  Sweep picking sounds like shit btw.

Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
You could always do what this guy did and cover electronic music.

Fucking awesome:

Original:

Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quality musicians in general are a dying breed.  All the current 'music' stars are nothing more than vapid lip-synchers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]
If not already mentioned, John Schaffer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I love Iced Earth, and John has crazy picking skills, but he has also been writing the same song over and over for the past 10 years and passing it off as new albums.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love Iced Earth, and John has crazy picking skills, but he has also been writing the same song over and over for the past 10 years and passing it off as new albums.

Aye.

And the band just isn't the same without Barlow at the helm.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aye.

And the band just isn't the same without Barlow at the helm.

Never have truer words been spoken.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Thank you.  Saved me the trouble.  
Lots of clean harmonies with not a whole lot of effects.  Clean metal sound, reminds me of the Adrian Smith /Dave Murrary combo of some little Metal band with a well known name.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before this goes any farther, how old are you OP?

Old enough to have grown up before Nirvana wrecked everything.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 3 dead genres of music that people claimed would once and for all kill Rock n Roll.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Listen to BTBAM or anything from Animals as Leaders and you will quickly find that Metal guitar is not just alive and welll, it has evolved into something for more technical and far more cerebral than any of the silly solos produced in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-RoSzsEKA

Holy shit...That was awesome.

See them live. They tend to attract a very intellectual crowd. Excellent stage presence and simple light show and it is all sorts of awesome.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]
How about some love for John 5 and Jerry Cantrell.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

How about some love for John 5 and Jerry Cantrell.  

The way Jerry Cantrell has kept AIC going is nothing short of heroic.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top