Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2013 7:36:14 AM EDT
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/06/15/400yearold_skeleton_of_aboriginal_woman_found_in_sarnia_backyard_costs_couple_5000.html

A Sarnia couple who set out to build a fence dug up more than they bargained for recently when they unearthed a 400-year-old skeleton and got stuck with a $5,000 bill from the province.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I guess that's the last skeleton they're going to find in Canada.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag the dupe for more goofy comments.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#4]

My SIL's brother had that happen to him when he was having his pool put in.

Of course, here on Long Island you can't throw a rock without hitting a dead indian, so it wasn't all that big a shock.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.

Find bones in your yard?
Just cover them back up and keep your mouth shut.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Find bones in your yard?

skeleton? what skeleton?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#8]
As a contractor, legally we are required to stop work and report finding bones during excavation. I remember a couple bought a house and started a remodel when they found some bones. It was reported. The project was stopped for years while everybody argued what to do, meanwhile, the couple still had a mortgage to pay every month. After about a year with no solution in sight, they filed for bankruptcy and lost the house.

Eventually a solution was found, concrete the whole yard "to prevent further disruption of the site". Many believe it was actually a dump site for garbage by the local Indians years ago.

Moral of the story? Keep your mouth shut and keep working.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn.  Aboriginal man takes "S.S.S." to a whole new level.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Well that sucks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This.  Jimmy Hoffa would be quite safe in my Canadian yard after reading that.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#12]
400 year old Hooker?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#13]
And that's why it's Canada
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My SIL's brother had that happen to him when he was having his pool put in.

Of course, here on Long Island you can't throw a rock without hitting a dead indian, so it wasn't all that big a shock.

It's a First Nations skeleton.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Just turn it into a Halloween decoration.  Problem solved.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think it's different here?  

Hell yea its different here .

I'm sure it would cost double that here
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many a land owner who have had land out right taken from them because some native american artifacts have been found on their land.  You get a couple of mounds on your property and you are done for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Huh. That's pretty shitty.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I have heard stories of contractors in Dixie finding skeletons at plantation homes and just reburying them because reporting the find stops the job for two years.

These are just stories mind you, I have no first hand knowledge of this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many a land owner who have had land out right taken from them because some native american artifacts have been found on their land.  You get a couple of mounds on your property and you are done for.

Yes, seen it happen here once or twice within the last 20 years around here.  Luckily the land owners fought and got thier property back but spent $$$ in lawyer fees.  

Or do like some of the early settlers in my town did, just dig up the mounds and use for foundations

http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/archeolo.htm

NEDERLAND—Early Indians spent 15 centuries building Texas’ greatest archeological treasure at Port Neches. Pioneer settlers needed only 75 years to demolish it.

The only complete Indian vase ever found anywhere within 30 miles was dated by Louisiana State University as belonging to the "Marksville Culture," or about 500 A. D. Hence it is the writer’s opinion that it took the Attakapas, Karankawa and other predecessor tribes 1,500 years to build the six large burial mounds where Midcounty’s present rubber industry is located.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Remember, Mrs. Farmer. Whenever you buy a house, what ever's in the ground belongs to you - whether it's gold or oil... or Claude Musselman.

For the slow guys, this is from Funny Farm starring Chevy Chase.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, seen it happen here once or twice within the last 20 years around here.  Luckily the land owners fought and got thier property back but spent $$$ in lawyer fees.  

Or do like some of the early settlers in my town did, just dig up the mounds and use for foundations

NEDERLAND—Early Indians spent 15 centuries building Texas’ greatest archeological treasure at Port Neches. Pioneer settlers needed only 75 years to demolish it.

The only complete Indian vase ever found anywhere within 30 miles was dated by Louisiana State University as belonging to the "Marksville Culture," or about 500 A. D. Hence it is the writer’s opinion that it took the Attakapas, Karankawa and other predecessor tribes 1,500 years to build the six large burial mounds where Midcounty’s present rubber industry is located.

land owners where I was from wold let you look for "rocks" but never arrowheads
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been doing archaeology for a long time and am familiar with projects going back many decades and never seen a case where someone's land was taken due to archaeological resources.  There isn't even a government entity of any kind that is set up to do such a thing.

Basically it is a bullshit story.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.  In TX if you have an archaeological site on your property you can charge people money to dig up arrowheads in it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Find bones in your yard?

You discover that you need to blast a stump out of the way of your digging.  Works for the military when they find artifacts on places like bombing range.

"Somebody found something and there's a team coming to investigate them I two days? Frag those coordinates as tomorrow's target location and send in four Strike Eagles loaded with 2000 pounders."

Happened more than a couple of times in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an old cemetery that goes into my property with numerous bodies buried on my yard.

Fuck that, no way I'm digging anything up with that bill.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have an old cemetery that goes into my property with numerous bodies buried on my yard.

Fuck that, no way I'm digging anything up with that bill.

Why is it I find it very easy to believe you when you say you have bodies buried in your yard, but not that they were there first?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Just don't build your house on an old graveyard...................Poltergeists galore
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#30]
The F.B.I. is digging 50 miles to the east.  Perhaps another "TIP" called in will get those folks in Sarnia some help.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Find bones in your yard?

Or, give them to the dog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top