Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The one with the Mk19 is fucking awesome.

Looks like an AGS-30 to me, but perhaps its some sort of modded Mk19?
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotta couple of those in our motorpool.  Only get to drag them out on special occasions, mostly for show/tell.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a few

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The one with the Mk19 is fucking awesome.

Looks like an AGS-30 to me, but perhaps its some sort of modded Mk19?

Mk47
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never seen a mini gun mounted on a Humvee personally before but there's a guy at work who says his national guard unit has one on their books in their motor pool, mind you this isn't a SF unit...my BS flag almost went up on that one. How probable is that?
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've never seen a mini gun mounted on a Humvee personally before but there's a guy at work who says his national guard unit has one on their books in their motor pool, mind you this isn't a SF unit...my BS flag almost went up on that one. How probable is that?

I would call 100% BS on that.  First of all, unless he is overseas, that weapon is definitely not mounted on a vehicle just sitting in the motor pool!  I'm sure you know that.  

I am not an XO or supply guy, so I can't say for sure if it's impossible, but units don't tend to have 'one off' weapon systems due to force structure alignment/MTOE.  Approval would have to come down from pretty damn high up.

Secondly, I have never heard of a mini gun existing in a unit outside of SOF
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would call 100% BS on that.  First of all, unless he is overseas, that weapon is definitely not mounted on a vehicle just sitting in the motor pool!  I'm sure you know that.  

I am not an XO or supply guy, so I can't say for sure if it's impossible, but units don't tend to have 'one off' weapon systems due to force structure alignment/MTOE.  Approval would have to come down from pretty damn high up.

Understandably the gun itself would be in the arms room if it's real but the mounts and wiring would all be there. I do believe this guy is in the guard but he had a couple over the top stories and he really didn't give me a straight answer as to what his unit does or what mos's it comprises of, the most I got from him was when they deploy they attach themselves to big army units who need more manpower.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#10]

I took that picture in 2005.

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understandably the gun itself would be in the arms room if it's real but the mounts and wiring would all be there. I do believe this guy is in the guard but he had a couple over the top stories and he really didn't give me a straight answer as to what his unit does or what mos's it comprises of, the most I got from him was when they deploy they attach themselves to big army units who need more manpower.

Yeah that's an official BS Flag is you ask me.  My AD Infantry BN deployed to support SF, and we didn't see jack shit in terms of high speed stuff until we got to our sites.  It was all either TPE, or the ODAs brought it from their units.  Hell, we didn't even get the EBRs for our SDMs that they said we'd get before we left [until we had 3mo left in country].  Again, I won't say it's impossible, but pretty close it to.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
An M134 would be Class VII, which can only be ordered by the PBO.  Unless it is TPE it requires an authorization document (look up LOGTAADS) and those can't be made up at the BDE level.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone here old enough to remember the "Amerika" miniseries?

Reminds me a bit of the USSR/U.N. "peacekeeping forces" that rode around on quad-runners, which were still sort of "modern" looking in the late-80's in attempt to give things a "near future" vibe.

Heartlanders!
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The guy on the back posted here in the defunct delta/SOF thread a year ago or so.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]
One of my favorite SF craft. Nothing new, but always thought they were bad-ass.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want one of the newer Polaris MRZRs.

http://mostwantedtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Polaris-MRZR.jpg

Not available to the public

I'll find one that gets DRMO'd like the FAV's...

This one could be had for around $30K cash if you're the right person.

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/168810_191756300839133_2405740_n.jpg

I've always wanted one of those ever since I saw them in BF2. Good times.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Let me loosen my pants a bit here
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_P8FZGCsX7zc/SD-C8KbmVAI/AAAAAAAACIc/rTELzAYxRZg/s1600/mark5.jpg

3 .50 caliber machine 2 of them dual mounted a m-240 and just to add to the Awesome a Mark-19 grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Newest DHS purchase?

I was about to ask te same thing...perhaps I R S?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#22]

OK i want that Second mark 5 that thing has at least 4 mini guns of either 7.62 caliber or more than likely .50 caliber .
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_P8FZGCsX7zc/SD-C8KbmVAI/AAAAAAAACIc/rTELzAYxRZg/s1600/mark5.jpg

3 .50 caliber machine 2 of them dual mounted a m-240 and just to add to the Awesome a Mark-19 grenade launcher.

Meet the original.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OK i want that Second mark 5 that thing has at least 4 mini guns of either 7.62 caliber or more than likely .50 caliber .

Nope, those are just blank firing adapters for standard M2 .50's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meet the original.

http://www.hnsa.org/ships/img/pbrmkiigen1.jpg

I used to drive these.  Newer version of the old PBR's.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Boat_90

It can carry 3 .50 cals and 1 MK19, as well as 4 naval mines or 6 depth charges.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#28]

I rode in one of those today. Hot as fuck inside.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Those are most of the decent ones.  Here's a smorgasbord of randoms.  Some RG-31 and GMV.

Trebuchet

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Is that an RG31 or RG33? Thanks for the pictures, I've never seen camo painted trucks down range before. They look good and effective.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did somebody say SOF vehicles?

<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF2794_zpsd27c8fea.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF2794_zpsd27c8fea.jpg</a>

Holy cow the inside of that vehicle is paved with skittles and smells like unicorn farts!

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Bonus.  I'm on the hood in both pics.  One good day, one bad:

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is that an RG31 or RG33? Thanks for the pictures, I've never seen camo painted trucks down range before. They look good and effective.

RG31.  I think these trucks were fairly unique overall in theater.  The ODAs near us had tan trucks, sometimes with a special stencil on the sides.  Off road, it was surprisingly difficult to pick out a stationary truck 500m out.  More than anything, the camo was about being 'different' from the conventional units.  It worked.  The BSO got hit hard all the time and we were rarely engaged in the same areas to the same degree.  Chicken nets attract RPGs.

ETA: BTW, the RGs were painted by our trusted local national handyman who lived with us and did any and everything you could ask.  Guy ruled. The MATVs were already painted when we arrived.  Trebuchet built by an 18C with way too much time/lumber on his hands.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RG31.  I think these trucks were fairly unique overall in theater.  The ODAs near us had tan trucks, sometimes with a special stencil on the sides.  Off road, it was surprisingly difficult to pick out a stationary truck 500m out.  More than anything, the camo was about being 'different' from the conventional units.  It worked.  The BSO got hit hard all the time and we were rarely engaged in the same areas to the same degree.  Chicken nets attract RPGs.

ETA: BTW, the RGs were painted by our trusted local national handyman who lived with us and did any and everything you could ask.  Guy ruled. The MATVs were already painted when we arrived.  Trebuchet built by an 18C with way too much time/lumber on his hands.

The RG-31's are the older variants, they are much narrower on the inside than a 33, and do not have all the updated controls,like the master power switch being moved from the damn passenger floorboard.  The 33 also has the stretcher carriers that fold down in the crew compartment.

I'm about to go outside and look, but those RG's in your pics may be our vehicles now.  We have the same exact paint scheme on ours.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The guy on the back posted here in the defunct delta/SOF thread a year ago or so.

Tomax and Xamot  FTW!
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The RG-31's are the older variants, they are much narrower on the inside than a 33, and do not have all the updated controls, just as the master power switch.  The 33 also has the stretcher carriers that fold down in the crew compartment.

I'm about to go outside and look, but those RG's in your pics may be our vehicles now.

They appear to be the original RG31s. Most of us have experience in the RG31Mk5E. It's longer and has more updates. These have also been upgraded with Oshkosh Tak-4 suspension and CROWS II. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Who thought that would work?
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah, for real.  A Ford Ranger ALP truck had just [barely] made it across a little ways up stream, but my TC decided it would be best to cross where we had always crossed [before the torrential downpours and mountain melt-off began].  The locals were all shouting NO NO NO as we chose our approach.  TC said floor it... Roger that!!  Truck turned into a submarine briefly, and nearly drifted all the way across the deep spot - you can see how the front wheels made it to shallower water.  Truth be told, I slipped off the truck and nearly drowned.  It sucked.  Locals had a laugh.  That current was insane.

In regards to the RG31 - yes they are super narrow inside the back.  Horrible for casevac, and virtually impossible for grown men in kit to sit in all the seats.  The few times we got to sit in RG33s it felt like riding in an Escalade.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomax and Xamot  FTW!

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, for real.  A Ford Ranger ALP truck had just [barely] made it across a little ways up stream, but my TC decided it would be best to cross where we had always crossed [before the torrential downpours and mountain melt-off began].  The locals were all shouting NO NO NO as we chose our approach.  TC said floor it... Roger that!!  Truck turned into a submarine briefly, and nearly drifted all the way across the deep spot - you can see how the front wheels made it to shallower water.  Truth be told, I slipped off the truck and nearly drowned.  It sucked.  Locals had a laugh.  That current was insane.

In regards to the RG31 - yes they are super narrow inside the back.  Horrible for casevac, and virtually impossible for grown men in kit to sit in all the seats.  The few times we got to sit in RG33s it felt like riding in an Escalade.

I loved my RG-31Mk5E, but I'm small and was the gunner. Everyone else hated it, our dismounts despised that truck lol. I fit a ton of shit in there though, two Javelins and a CLU, a metric fuck ton of ammo. After one engagement, we used my truck to resuply the other trucks since we had so much ammo crammed in there. the seats were awful though, hard rubber. Who thought that was a good idea...

If you thought a 33 was roomy, you would have loved the Magic School bus. aka MaxxPros. Talk about roomy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#44]
This thing is pretty cool...

Tomcar
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Moar
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Found this of some rangers using Strykers in Afghanistan. We had a team of SF stop by our FOB a couple times using some tricked out Strykers in Baghdad. They had gutted the entire interior so there were no benches or stacks of radios (im guessing to make it easier to load detainees in). Somehow they souped up the engine as well, I was very impressed.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The gunner's seat in the 31 has much more leg room than a 33, but the seats in the back are much easier to sit in.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Screw that, give me an MRAP.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I was curious how effective these converted crawlers were. Seemed interesting.

I say our gi's need some trussed axles the last thing that I want is my tax dollars paying for some thing that these guys use just to break of they have to get outof somewhere in a hurry I also would like to see some RCV 300m shafts I think our gi's need the best we can give them
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top