Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 6/16/2013 8:01:48 AM EDT
So much fail!

My hands are shaking; my adrenaline is surging.

No, it’s not from the latte I just inhaled or because this is the first time in two years I’ve been in a Starbucks since declaring a boycott on its open-carry gun policy.

What’s got me jittery this morning is the 9mm Glock that’s holstered on my hip. Me, lead gun policy protester at the 2010 Starbuck’s shareholder meeting. Me, a board member of the Brady Campaign. Me, the author of a book about the impact of gun violence, Beyond the Bullet.

Yes, I bought a handgun and will carry it everywhere I go over the next 30 days. I have four rules: Carry it with me at all times, follow the laws of my state, only do what is minimally required for permits, licensing, purchasing and carrying, and finally be prepared to use it for protecting myself at home or in public.

Why? Following the Newtown massacre in December, the NRA’s Wayne LaPierre, told the country, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”  I wondered what would it be like to be that good guy with a gun? What would it be like to get that gun, live with that gun, be out and about with that gun. Finally, what happens when you don’t want that gun any more?

I decided to find out.

Getting the permit to carry a concealed weapon was simple. I filled out a form, had my fingerprints taken for a background check and paid $56.50. No training required. It took far longer to get my dog a license.

I started my 30-day gun trial with a little window-shopping. I visited a gun show and two gun dealers. I ended up buying a Glock 9mm handgun from Tony, a gun dealer four miles from my house. I settled on this model because it was a smallish gun and because Tony recommended it for my stated purposes of protecting myself and my home.

It was obvious from the way I handled the gun that I knew nothing about firearms. Tony sold it to me anyway. The whole thing took 7 minutes. As a gratified consumer, I thought, “Well, that was easy.” Then the terrifying reality hit me, “Holy hell, that was EASY.”  Too easy. I still knew nothing about firearms.

Tony told me a Glock doesn’t have an external safety feature, so when I got home and opened the box and saw the magazine in the gun I freaked. I was too scared to try and eject it as thoughts flooded my mind of me accidentally shooting the gun and a bullet hitting my son in the house or rupturing the gas tank of my car, followed by an earth-shaking explosion. This was the first time my hands shook from the adrenaline surge and the first time I questioned the wisdom of this 30-day experiment.

I needed help. I drove to where a police officer had pulled over another driver. Now, writing this, I realize that rolling up on an on-duty cop with a handgun in tow might not have been fully thought through.

You can read the rest here, if you can stomach it:

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/12/my-month-with-a-gun-week-one/comment-page-1/#comment-129268

The comments are pretty choice as well, pretty much what one would expect in such a rag.  I left a comment, but they're moderated, we'll see if they have the courage to publish it.  If you choose to comment, well, be positive and constructive, maybe we can win a convert or three.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it COC-compliant to say I hope she ND's a round into her femoral artery?
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I was too scared to try and eject it as thoughts flooded my mind of me accidentally shooting the gun and a bullet hitting my son in the house or rupturing the gas tank of my car, followed by an earth-shaking explosion.

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]
That article and the comments make my head hurt.

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I cant bring myself to click that link. I just cant.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Fucking sheep.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet she knows how to operate a vibrator.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bet she knows how to operate a vibrator.

Notice that she mentions she has a son, but no mention of the kid's father.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#11]
"had my fingerprints taken for a background check"

Now I know the article is bullshit and the person who wrote it is fucking lying.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Should we be worried if the Home Depot cashier sold her an axe or chainsaw even
if it seems obvious she hasn't already educated her self on how to use them?
Those might pose a serious hazard to herself or those around her if used improperly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#13]
GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN!
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So much fail!

My hands are shaking; my adrenaline is surging.

No, it’s not from the latte I just inhaled or because this is the first time in two years I’ve been in a Starbucks since declaring a boycott on its open-carry gun policy.

What’s got me jittery this morning is the 9mm Glock that’s holstered on my hip. Me, lead gun policy protester at the 2010 Starbuck’s shareholder meeting. Me, a board member of the Brady Campaign. Me, the author of a book about the impact of gun violence, Beyond the Bullet.

Yes, I bought a handgun and will carry it everywhere I go over the next 30 days. I have four rules: Carry it with me at all times, follow the laws of my state, only do what is minimally required for permits, licensing, purchasing and carrying, and finally be prepared to use it for protecting myself at home or in public.

Why? Following the Newtown massacre in December, the NRA’s Wayne LaPierre, told the country, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”  I wondered what would it be like to be that good guy with a gun? What would it be like to get that gun, live with that gun, be out and about with that gun. Finally, what happens when you don’t want that gun any more?

I decided to find out.

Getting the permit to carry a concealed weapon was simple. I filled out a form, had my fingerprints taken for a background check and paid $56.50. No training required. It took far longer to get my dog a license.

I started my 30-day gun trial with a little window-shopping. I visited a gun show and two gun dealers. I ended up buying a Glock 9mm handgun from Tony, a gun dealer four miles from my house. I settled on this model because it was a smallish gun and because Tony recommended it for my stated purposes of protecting myself and my home.

It was obvious from the way I handled the gun that I knew nothing about firearms. Tony sold it to me anyway. The whole thing took 7 minutes. As a gratified consumer, I thought, “Well, that was easy.” Then the terrifying reality hit me, “Holy hell, that was EASY.”  Too easy. I still knew nothing about firearms.

Tony told me a Glock doesn’t have an external safety feature, so when I got home and opened the box and saw the magazine in the gun I freaked. I was too scared to try and eject it as thoughts flooded my mind of me accidentally shooting the gun and a bullet hitting my son in the house or rupturing the gas tank of my car, followed by an earth-shaking explosion. This was the first time my hands shook from the adrenaline surge and the first time I questioned the wisdom of this 30-day experiment.

I needed help. I drove to where a police officer had pulled over another driver. Now, writing this, I realize that rolling up on an on-duty cop with a handgun in tow might not have been fully thought through.

You can read the rest here, if you can stomach it:

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/12/my-month-with-a-gun-week-one/comment-page-1/#comment-129268

The comments are pretty choice as well, pretty much what one would expect in such a rag.  I left a comment, but they're moderated, we'll see if they have the courage to publish it.  If you choose to comment, well, be positive and constructive, maybe we can win a convert or three.  

Make the link cold?  

The cop thought I was an idiot and suggested I take a class. But up to that point I’d done nothing wrong, nothing illegal.

WTF does this even mean?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Commented.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's little Annie Oakley:

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Now I know the article is bullshit and the person who wrote it is fucking lying.

In my state you have to submit fingerprints for your your background check for a concealed handgun license.

-Lee
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#19]
If it wasn't already obvious:

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2012/01/07/too-many-victims-of-gun-violence-are-women/

If you’d like to light a candle for one of the 30,000 people killed each year by gun violence, visit the Brady Campaign and find out how to participate in a vigil in your community.

and this:

http://www.beyondthebulletbook.com/heidi.html

About the Author
Heidi Yewman is an advocate for reducing gun violence. She is a presenter, media spokesperson, and community organizer. She works with numerous organizations providing essential information on how to prevent gun violence, including the Brady Campaign, the Asking Saves Kids Campaign, and SPEAK-UP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#20]

He's got ape arms. Prolly has to carry in a drop leg holster for a normal reach.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#21]
This made my brain hurt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Any idea what state she resides in?

If she were in VA, specifically NoVA; it would be AWESOME to organize a member get-together, that involves us going to the Starbucks she is "protesting" at, while OCing AR's. We could sit down next to her, and chat about guns while drinking frappes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Ah, be positive, gentlemen.  Perhaps she'll have her Road to Damascus moment.    I challenged her to get some training and practice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any idea what state she resides in?

If she were in VA, specifically NoVA; it would be AWESOME to organize a member get-together, that involves us going to the Starbucks she is "protesting" at, while OCing AR's. We could sit down next to her, and chat about guns while drinking frappes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#25]
ya know, I could go out and buy a combine right now without anyone giving 3 shits if I know how to operate a combine or not. in fact I don't know shit about combines!
does that mean I should be incredibly inconvenienced and jump through hoops to buy a combine? fuck no!

why is it bad that it's easy? easy doesn't mean it doesn't do what it's intended to do, which is keeping prohibited persons from getting firearms from FFL's. Why is it bad that it's easy for a non-prohibited person to get a gun they can legally own?
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He's got ape arms. Prolly has to carry in a drop leg holster for a normal reach.

Here's a gummy close-up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#27]
One less person for us to consider a legitimate threat when Darwin comes knocking
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I cant bring myself to click that link. I just cant.

ditto

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Why wouldn't she take a class if she didn't feel comfortable with a gun?

That's what the cop recommended, right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#30]
her article only proves you cannot outlaw stupidity.

Most people realize that if you are going to CCW you should be practiced and trained.

Her article is akin to me getting a license, buying a big truck which I am unable to safely operate, and drive it around town while reading a book, playing the flute, or shaving (all of which I have witnessed while driving but most people will agree are distracting and foolish). There are really only laws against texting and talking on a handheld phone while driving (in most states), so technically, Im not doing anything wrong.

stupidity is this woman's own worst enemy. The problem with a liberal is that they would legally purchase a firearm and go on a shooting spree just to prove that it can be done, then start an anti-gun campaign from behind bars.  ITS FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

because liberals need laws to tell them what to do. they cannot logically think for themselves.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Part of being responsible gun owner is knowing safety and how to handle it, this just shows ignorance and all the other bleeding hearts will feel the same way as her.  This kind of stuff pisses me off

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#33]
At least she didn't use up all of her magazines.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JNu-jSSpvH0/ScqngEgywzI/AAAAAAAAAAc/xtd8fUesdzo/S660/Proof.jpg

Here's a gummy close-up.

My god how'd she lose her whole top row of teeth?
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Before clicking the link I was unfamiliar with this publication. I thought I was about to read something about a lady in Mississippi's first month with her new gun.

I that was the case, I figure the first sentence would be,

"Bought another gun this month."

wrong again.....

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

She WANTS this experiment to be skewed.  
Heaven forbid she educate herself on what she bought or attempt to make herself more comfortable with it.
My mom and I took a class together.  She is 67.  She was terrified.  But now that her expectations have been made more realistic as to how and what really happens when the trigger is pulled, she is more confident.

This woman doesn't want to be confident OR competent.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I left a comment encouraging the author to take a training course.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Author is more than likely full of shit and doesn't own a gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

cuz as she said she wants to show that any idiot can buy and carry a gun with no training
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#40]

It's nice that she wrote an anti-gun book and was on the Board of the Brady Campaign without having ever even handled a gun in her life. Who can argue with credentials like that?

"It was obvious from the way I handled the gun that I knew nothing about firearms. Tony sold it to me anyway."

Funny thing. When I bought my Mustang GT, I had never driven a car with a manual transmission. The dealer sold it to me anyway.

But instead of writing an article complaining about how easy it was for me to buy such a high powered instrument of death (who needs a car that can go more than twice the speed limit for commuting) I had my Dad drive it home and then spend the next several weekends learning how to use it in a safe and responsible manner.

But then again, I'm not a drama queen.

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#41]
The way she describes running up on a cop in the midde of a traffic stop with a pistol tells me she's either dumb as a bag of hammers or she's bat shit crazy. Maybe both.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Author is more than likely full of shit and doesn't own a gun.

Maybe she's waiting for a Raine-y day?
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Part of being responsible gun owner is knowing safety and how to handle it, this just shows ignorance and all the other bleeding hearts will feel the same way as her.  This kind of stuff pisses me off

No shit. How little common sense these people have. Practice, training. But then that would not fit the simple minded agenda.

Eta; Dibs on weapon when she gives it away.

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

cuz as she said she wants to show that any idiot can buy and carry a gun with no training

She appears determined to be that idiot. Maybe she will Glock leg herself just for the dramatic story.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JNu-jSSpvH0/ScqngEgywzI/AAAAAAAAAAc/xtd8fUesdzo/S660/Proof.jpg

Here's a gummy close-up.

My god how'd she lose her whole top row of teeth?

She found out the hard way that she really cant suck start a tractor.  I'm sure her article about that was mesmerizing also.

Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#47]
"I needed help. I drove to where a police officer had pulled over another driver. Now, writing this, I realize that rolling up on an on-duty cop with a handgun in tow might not have been fully thought through."

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Someone needs to comment on her site:

"PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN"

None of this stock photo bullshit. Full frontal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Indiana State Police do this when you apply for a lifetime carry permit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

She is talking about for the concealed permit, which you do have to get your fingerprints taken.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top