Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2013 8:43:41 PM EDT
Let windows install the usual updates and now my Norton AV is going nuts with something called Suspicious.Cloud.7.EP.

I've tried a full system scan and that hasn't helped. Every 30 seconds a little box pops up saying "security risk", then "risk resolved".

Help!!!

If this is a dupe just point me to the thread with an answer...
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
My google foo is stronger than yours :p

Got infected with this as well which resulted in constant Norton security risk message, Norton auto fixing, and very slow internet speeds, all in all consuming computer resources.  Even some of my applications became very slow...ready to kick the bucket.

Despite surfing the internet for solutions I found no one who solved this.....that's not good and was thinking I had to re-install windows.  But, I was able to fix it. Here's what I did....

I think the security threat is not tied to the same file for everyone, hence your infected file will probably be different than someone else.   Many of the different forums I visited indicated different infected files or apps.  So, find your infected file first.....

When the Norton pop-up message comes up (or just check your security history) explore the "Activity" in your security history to find the file that shows up as the infected file or threat. Then, go to the link below to run the Norton Power Eraser (NPE) which is step 5.    Step's 1 thru 4 did not work for me. The NPE will find the infected system files or dll's.  If it finds the same file u traced in the security history check, u probably got a fix. The NPE detected 3 files, one was the file I traced as the threat as a dll extension, another was a dll extension file that I was not familiar with and had it removed too, the 3rd was a file that I recognized and did not remove.  NPE removed the files, rebooted, and computer back to normal.  If it had not, then I was going to restore my system files per the instructions in the link.  

Really hate these viruses and always, always, always keep your anti-virus up to date and re-new before expiration.  I learned the hard way that if u don't re-new your Norton anti-virus, u lose all protection...it used to be that u only lost the RunLive updates and Norton would keep protection....when this happened, I got one big infection that I thought I was going to have to re-install windows....  Got it fixed though after many hours.    good luck.

ETA Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/how-do-i-get-rid-of-suspiciouscloud7ep/a430ef94-3aa1-4df1-b7c5-8e95496fef86
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll try this.

I've never let my subscription lapse, all is up to date.. It has to be something from that windows update.

I'll try the NPE.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Uninstall Norton and install NOD32 from Eset
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, the NPE seems to have fixed it.

Removed some file bvwaeva.dll

No idea what that is but sure seemed to come with the Windows update...
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Uninstall Norton install Avast you will thank me later, Norton is complete piece of shit as a program.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Uninstall Norton install Avast you will thank me later, Norton is complete piece of shit as a program.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Possibly, but I've been using Norton since '00 on various devices and as long as it's used correctly I've never had a virus, malware, anything. Until this thing which I'm convinced came with the Windows update.

Norton is a huge memory hog though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top