User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 1007
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
What?!?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Sleepy time for this girl, sweet dreams friends.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TerryC:
What?!?

View Quote

Just bring your bag looking for candy around here.
You'll need a even larger font.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mauser1:

I have a lot of crap in my house, if that's what you mean. Like I-M-WMD Terry and Ohio. If it's your thing then you can't have enough variants.
I know some about a lot of things. I know a lot about some things. Does that make sense? It sounded good in my head.

But as knives go, It's a classic blade that traces lineage to pre Roman times. In my view well worth the 60$ or so to have it around.
You get one blade, now it's up to you to make it work for everything you want it to do.  They really do carry well.
Eagle34, If you did carry a Toothpick, The 17th century called and they want their design back.

Thanks for the compliment Hooligan.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hooligan223:
Stay dry MissB.  Maybe I should send you my kayak and head down to the coast in a few days to fish your ass out of the ocean.

They've given us a reprieve at work, today is it for the week.  The parts to fix the clusterfuck from yesterday won't be in until next week.  They're cheaping out and patching it which is what got them into this mess to begin with.  Oh well, job security I suppose.

Originally Posted By Eagle34:
Hola from the Andalusia region of Spain.  

If I knew you were going I would of had you pick me up a Navaja. Very classy old school knive that are easy to export.

Really different old school shape but dead sexy in my book. Navaja

They have very slim handles and a small tail. pctures

M1 you're into some really cool odd stuff.  I bet your place is like a museum of weaponry.

I have a lot of crap in my house, if that's what you mean. Like I-M-WMD Terry and Ohio. If it's your thing then you can't have enough variants.
I know some about a lot of things. I know a lot about some things. Does that make sense? It sounded good in my head.

But as knives go, It's a classic blade that traces lineage to pre Roman times. In my view well worth the 60$ or so to have it around.
You get one blade, now it's up to you to make it work for everything you want it to do.  They really do carry well.
Eagle34, If you did carry a Toothpick, The 17th century called and they want their design back.

Thanks for the compliment Hooligan.

Yep good old Case Navaja.    On another note I did find one at the exchange yesterday, seems to be real deal Spanish made.  Blade had markings of Toledo very faint, seemed to be exactly like the one you posted earlier, only problem was it was not a folder.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
You pick up stuff really well and learn fast. It is one of the knives that influenced others around the world.
Check out the full belly and upturned tip with a false top edge. Then guess where the Bowie got its inspiration from.
Many of these would have crossed with Columbus and every Spanish ship after.
It would have been common in the Americas at that time. Skinning and poking holes in bad guys is what it is good at.
Everywhere the Spanish went you can see it's influence.

I wouldn't kill yourself getting one. They have nice ones online. As a collector they are a seminal knife to have.
For myself I would just like to be in Spain and just pick one up. Horn, bone,antler or exotic wood. Just so I could say.
I just did what others have done for 400+ years. Like those before me I am going to carry this off to a far off land.
As souvenirs go they don't get much cooler plus it's a much better investment than T shirts.

If you have the means I would try and get one.
Good luck and how is the weather in the Mediterranean this time of year?

Stay safe.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:04:57 AM EDT
[#6]
You pick up stuff really well and learn fast. It is one of the knives that influenced others around the world.
Check out the full belly and upturned tip with a false top edge. Then guess where the Bowie got its inspiration from.
Many of these would have crossed with Columbus and every Spanish ship after.
It would have been common in the Americas at that time. Skinning and poking holes in bad guys is what it is good at.
Everywhere the Spanish went you can see it's influence.

I wouldn't kill yourself getting one. They have nice ones online. As a collector they are a seminal knife to have.
For myself I would just like to be in Spain and just pick one up. Horn, bone,antler or exotic wood. Just so I could say.
I just did what others have done for 400+ years. Like those before me I am going to carry this off to a far off land.
As souvenirs go they don't get much cooler plus it's a much better investment than T shirts.

If you have the means I would try and get one.
Good luck and how is the weather in the Mediterranean this time of year?

Stay safe.

View Quote

I know what you mean by the coolness factor, and to say, its "original" and from a far off land.

The weather is nice and warm, seas are very calm.  Of course as a salior that's one of the things you don't talk about as its sure to change now that I've mentioned it.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MissBheaven:
View Quote

good night
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Love you, MissB.
Hope you sleep well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:52:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mauser1] [#9]
I was guessing my ass off. The eagle name and avatar made me think you were AF.
In the 70's a good friend of mine was stationed there. He told me there were dozens of shops and venders that sold knives.
He came back with quite a few. All this talk has got m off my butt to go find one myself. Super traditional.
They have several with more modern blade designs too. Right down to a Spanish form of Toothpick.
I always start at world knives.  Just pick your country of choice. Link
I was thinking of this one. link

Another Very Spanish design is the Stylet form of this knife. Back when people wrote with bird feathers as in Quills.
You needed a very sharp and precise knife to cut the ends on a angle to sharpen them so to speak.
It also doubled as self protection. Basically a specialized form of Navja. Stylet

Happy hunting.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Yeah, inner ear. It comes and goes and I haven't had it for a long time. But when it hits, it hits hard.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dbrad197:
"Saddle Clubs" were extremely popular in rural southeast Georgia when I was a kid. And horses were a way of life for just about everyone.

Pretty much all you needed to compete in the saddle club was a horse and a way to get it there. Lots (including me) rode their animals there and back.
A saddle club could spring up just about anywhere someone had the land to build an arena, and enough interested people in the area to make it worthwhile.

Cloverleaf ('barrel racing' as described in the gymkhana link), figure 8, and pole bending were the main events that everyone ran, with various other events added depending on attendance and weather.

I've been having a serious bout of vertigo this weekend, so not much has been done. Lots that needs to be done, but only so much can be accomplished when just walking is a struggle and driving is out of the question. It's better today, hopefully the meclizine will have it kicked down enough that I can go to work in the morning.

Rose is being 'blah' today and won't show her colors, but here's a pic anyway . . .

http://www.fototime.com/%7B89336F5F-92B0-4F59-9E6D-9BD5075935B1%7D/origpict/rose101914.jpg

We had a saddle club where I lived as a young teenager, it was a community thing for my area. Where does the vertigo come from? Inner thing ear thing?

Yeah, inner ear. It comes and goes and I haven't had it for a long time. But when it hits, it hits hard.

I know how that feels
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Feel better Terry, that vertigo sounds just awful.

Brrrr...not shit may have to turn on the heat for the 1st time this season.  Not getting out of the 40's today, got a chill, put on my flannel sheets, 4 blankets & a comforter....these little pups aren't much for warmth.  This year I'm thinking electric blanket, always wanted one & have a feeling it's going to be long, cold & lonely Winter.

Nascar race, NFL & maybe a nap in the immediate future.
View Quote

You can snuggle with me
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a CZ 452 and love it.  Nobody and I mean nobody sells CZ pistols here.  I can't understand why either.  I want one but not being able to hold it beforehand keeps from picking one up.  I wanted a SIG until I held a few, none of them felt right in my hand.
View Quote

Mouse has a CZ 82 that I love
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Good morning Starlight.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Good morning Starlight.

View Quote

The earth says hello.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Berettastarlight:

View All Quotes

I have a CZ 452 and love it.  Nobody and I mean nobody sells CZ pistols here.  I can't understand why either.  I want one but not being able to hold it beforehand keeps from picking one up.  I wanted a SIG until I held a few, none of them felt right in my hand.

CZ fan as well, my 75(b) is favorite CCW pistols & a dream to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#16]

You can snuggle with me
View All Quotes

Brrrr...not shit may have to turn on the heat for the 1st time this season.  Not getting out of the 40's today, got a chill, put on my flannel sheets, 4 blankets & a comforter....these little pups aren't much for warmth.  This year I'm thinking electric blanket, always wanted one & have a feeling it's going to be long, cold & lonely Winter.

You can snuggle with me

It always brightens my day to see you MrsM!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Good morning everyone. Sounds like I should avoid this Vertigo thing as much as possible.
Before this the only thing I knew about it was. Alfred Hitchcock made a movie with that name.

Off to the dog park today for the running of the dogs. Cooper is in rare form.
I hope there is a pitbull out there so he can run them into the ground. Then do his victory lap around them.
They would love to kick his butt if they could ever catch him.

It is good cardio for them though.

Nice to see you back Mrs Starlight.

JC and Terry I hope you have a great day. I hope MissB can step in sometime.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

You can snuggle with me

No sooner said and there she is. Well I am off. Hi MissB.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Ohio:

Love you, MissB.

Hope you sleep well.

View All Quotes

Love you, MissB.

Hope you sleep well.

Slept like a dream Ohio, must have been your well wishes.

TGIF my friend!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By flash556:

good night
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flash556:

good night

Why ty Mr. Flash!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Happy joy joy, Saturday after a good nights sleep!

Started house chores, laundry going, plan to vacuum & wash the kitchen floor.

Hoping against hope might be able to go shooting with a friend this afternoon, if so, pics later.  After 4 days of rain & 5.13 inches the sun is finally showing it's face & will be 60 degrees that is heat-wave for us in late October.

M1 you got me thinking about Spanish stabby things, lol.  Have a blast with your daughter & pups @ the dog park.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Another long week at work, was too exhausted to post much or follow any convos. I am a big fan of those Spanish toothpicks though, beautiful knives.  Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'll be enjoying my 2 days off, and hopefully getting some yard work done!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Carpets cleaned, bathroom scrubbed, toys sorted to donate.  All that's left for today is the kitchen and the rest of the floors.  Ugggggh.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Carpets cleaned, bathroom scrubbed, toys sorted to donate.  All that's left for today is the kitchen and the rest of the floors.  Ugggggh.
View Quote

What kind of weekend is that?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Another Very Spanish design is the Stylet form of this knife. Back when people wrote with bird feathers as in Quills.
You needed a very sharp and precise knife to cut the ends on a angle to sharpen them so to speak.
It also doubled as self protection. Basically a specialized form of Navja. Stylet

Happy hunting.

View Quote

If you are old enough you remember when any small pocketknife was called a penknife. Smaller than a Barlow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Slept like a dream Ohio, must have been your well wishes. <a href="http://www.sherv.net/blow.kiss-emoticon-3204.html" target="_blank">http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/kiss/blow-kiss-smiley-emoticon.gif</a>

TGIF my friend!
View All Quotes

Love you, MissB.
Hope you sleep well.

Slept like a dream Ohio, must have been your well wishes. <a href="http://www.sherv.net/blow.kiss-emoticon-3204.html" target="_blank">http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/kiss/blow-kiss-smiley-emoticon.gif</a>

TGIF my friend!

Yep, off in 15 minutes to finish my week.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Been offline most of the evening. Just finished putting the laptop back together.

Caught my foot on the cord and pulled the laptop off the nightstand a few nights ago, and it landed right on the power plug. Busted the jack.
I was able to get the plug and the the broken jack pieced together and hot glued into place well enough to use the computer, but it wasn't portable anymore. If I'd pulled the plug out I would have never gotten it back in.

New power jack came in the mail today, luckily this computer does not have the jack soldered to the MB, it connects with a cable.
Finally got it all buttoned back up a little while ago.

Gonna have to be more careful . . .

View Quote

You sound as clumsy as I.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Took the not-a-girlfriend to awesome Mexican dinner last night then to haunted house. Good times. And good grief, she's far to beautiful to be with a troll like me. I'm far too lucky.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
A shitty but necessary one.  I don't think I've steam cleaned the carpet since 2011.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#30]

If you are old enough you remember when any small pocketknife was called a penknife. Smaller than a Barlow.
View All Quotes

Happy hunting.

Ahhh yes the penknife. Wow I haven't heard that used for a long time. My grandfather showed me his penknife.
He never threw anything away. he kind of thought of it as a kids knife. Small and he had to have it for school.
Dang, It's now official. I'm old.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I was guessing my ass off. The eagle name and avatar made me think you were AF.
In the 70's a good friend of mine was stationed there. He told me there were dozens of shops and venders that sold knives.
He came back with quite a few. All this talk has got m off my butt to go find one myself. Super traditional.
They have several with more modern blade designs too. Right down to a Spanish form of Toothpick.
I always start at world knives.  Just pick your country of choice. Link
I was thinking of this one. link

Happy hunting.

View Quote

Actually I'm a former Army MP.    Currently a Navy Civilian.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Happy joy joy, Saturday after a good nights sleep!

Started house chores, laundry going, plan to vacuum & wash the kitchen floor.

Hoping against hope might be able to go shooting with a friend this afternoon, if so, pics later.  After 4 days of rain & 5.13 inches the sun is finally showing it's face & will be 60 degrees that is heat-wave for us in late October.

M1 you got me thinking about Spanish stabby things, lol.  Have a blast with your daughter & pups @ the dog park.
View Quote

BTW MissB I picked up that Colt .22, before I left.  Sorry no pics, too busy putting it through the paces.  Really wish it came with more than one mag.  Put about 300 rounds through it before I left, really liking it.  Will most likely end up being the host for a Sparrow when I pick one up.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Happy hunting.

I remember that term.   Guess that means I'm old too.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Ahhh yes the penknife. Wow I haven't heard that used for a long time. My grandfather showed me his penknife.
He never threw anything away. he kind of thought of it as a kids knife. Small and he had to have it for school.
View All Quotes

Happy hunting.

My Grandfather carried a Boker for many years.  Wonder what happened to it after he passed back in 2012?  It was very nice, Damascus steel, with a surgeons sharp blade.  Very fitting as he was a retired doctor.  

RIP Papa.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mauser1] [#35]
I have owned may Bokers threw the years. Back from the dog park.
What's wrong with this picture? Attitude chasing a athlete. Dogs had a blast.
They must have covered a couple of miles today. One with far more steps than the other.
She has plumped up and found her smile.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#36]
A shitty but necessary one.  I don't think I've steam cleaned the carpet since 2011.
View Quote

Yep just razzin ya. did lots of chores today, and gotta spend a a few hours tomorrow picking weeds in the back at the very least. Good luck with the steam cleaning, that's on my shit list, just under "moving".
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#37]
They must have covered a couple of miles today. One with far more steps than the other.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0662_zps3c058942.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0666_01_zpsa3e3d656.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a blast.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#38]
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0662_zps3c058942.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0666_01_zpsa3e3d656.jpg
View Quote

Pretty Dags.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:57:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mauser1] [#39]
Thanks guys.
Was wondering if the "you walk without  rhythm you won't attract the worm" was a Dune reference?
Bored what can I say.

OH and The unknown soldier is a great book. Not totally historically accurate.
But highly recommended reading just the same.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Back from a long and fun day at the father in laws.

My boys first horse ride.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JohnnyCarcinogen:

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b538/Bmill113/20141025_145135_zpsaqvtbb6x.jpg
View Quote

Now that's cool. A very expensive hobby though. he doesn't look bothered at all.
Nice job papa.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Now that's cool. A very expensive hobby though. he doesn't look bothered at all.
Nice job papa.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnnyCarcinogen:

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b538/Bmill113/20141025_145135_zpsaqvtbb6x.jpg

Nice job papa.

Nice job, mama, really.

Today was also my first horse ride.

I prefer my FIL's 4 wheeler to a 1000 pound plus animal.

My wife grew up riding, but we're both content to let someone else pay to keep those kind of animals.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Back at you.   Hows the weekend going?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Mouse in da house!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Not too bad.

The missus And I spent some time yesterday with a friend of ours who is fighting the good fight against the big C. He's not winning, but fighting none the less.
Went out to Blackhill state park and spent some time just sitting by the lake.

Today is shaping up to be a nice relaxing one.. Just finished painting soem couduit, boxes, and stuff for tomorrows install.
Now it's couch commando time!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Mouse in da house!
View Quote

Howdy Terry!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By lcoates33:

Howdy Terry!
View All Quotes
Mouse in da house!

Howdy Terry!

This, Nice quiet morning so far. Really supposed to cool down today. Only should get to the 80's.
Hey aren't you kids going to be playing with your clocks here in a week or so? Then we'll be only a couple of hours off.

Trash needs taking out and I need to test the siren. I could really have some fun with this.
I was thinking of dropping it in a ice chest for the test run.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#50]

This, Nice quiet morning so far. Really supposed to cool down today. Only should get to the 80's.
Hey aren't you kids going to be playing with your clocks here in a week or so? Then we'll be only a couple of hours off.

Trash needs taking out and I need to test the siren. I could really have some fun with this.

View All Quotes
Mouse in da house!

Howdy Terry!

Yup.

Next Sunday we change them back an hour.
Page / 1007
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top