Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 1007
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not picky about brushes/hammers. Whatevers on sale. You definitely will need a slag hammer, but they're cheap.

You're not going to damage the welder, it probably has a breaker in it to protect it. I don't think I've ever over heated mine. You can Google "flux core duty cycle" for more info.

Welds have to be done in an oxygen free envirement. So flux core wire is a hollow steel tube of wire with a powder inside. When that powder melts during the weld it creates this little cloud of gas around the weld that shields it from the oxygen in the natural air. It's the same powder (basically) that's found on the rod's used for stick welding. Same principle....so yeah, you don't want it blowing away. I do a lot of welding outside, you just need a little windbreaker of some kind. You only have to protect a small area from the wind.

Post pics when you get it, and what you're doing with it.

This is one of those many times I wished we lived closer, I would love to help.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Slag hammer in the middle is the most important, along with some kind of wire brush.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:00:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

THANK YOU!!!!

You're back at the farm while Compass is headed west?
View Quote
I'm keeping my job in IL for a month while shes out there.  

I'm at work right now,  while it's pouring outside. Bored
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ontime1969:
I got a tool cart finally.  I had fun putting it togeather.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ontime_1969/Mobile%20Uploads/20170425_225934.jpg

On another note we had 5000 uninvited africanized fuckers try to move in and set up shop.  Dbrad said to throw a rock at the group and see what happens.  lol he was joking of course.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ontime_1969/Mobile%20Uploads/20170426_070620.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/ontime_1969/Mobile%20Uploads/20170426_070629.jpg
View Quote
False. I said light them on fire and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]

I'll buy it from you for $100.

No, seriously...I WANT MIG.  It can do thin metal, like auto bodies, like nothing else. It's much, much, MUCH cleaner.

But managing gas is another step.  I need to weld my mower deck, like. NOW.

I don't know if I'll get through another mowing.  I've got a deck mount thingy that's ripping out of the deck, and it's making the belt pop off of the pulleys every time I back up or go over a bump.  It needs fixt.

I figure I can buy a welding setup as cheaply as I can hire it repaired, so decided to fo.

A bunch of great guys in homestead have talked with me through a whole thread about what to buy and how to do this, so it's time.

One guy in there welds up trailers and other amazing stuff with this same welder.  *disclaimer* He has WAY more skill than I have. */disclaimer*

But I think I can repair my own mower deck with a small, simple welder.

It's a good starting point, at least.
View Quote
My mower deck rusted out similar to what you are describing.  Had to get a whole new deck.  Cost $400 without the pulleys.  Found them at Lowes, but of course they are the wrong ones, too low.  They made two heights for my deck and I have the higher pulleys.  So when you disengage the belt drive (PTO) the belt jumps track.    Was gonna weld up the old deck but once I got it taken apart there was no use, nothing to weld to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
@Eagle34  

What have you welded with yours?

And where did you learn to weld?
View Quote
I welded up the exhaust for my Vette.  Cut all the pipes and welded them up and it sounded great.  Bought a bunch of bends, straights, ect. from Summit IIRC.

Learned by watching and OJT.  Most of the OJT was in the Army in the Motor Pool, the rest was welding exhaust.  Chef did comment on how good my beads looked while I was working.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16806920_1874015419554926_2474485544392520053_n.jpg?oh=99e41fba2b859eceb2d52169c243f3df&oe=5984E211

Ive got a Hobart Flux Core welder also, its nice to be able to go a little bit more mobile with it. I bought it and then basically didnt use it for a couple years (Impulse buy ) but Ive started playing with it this year. Its crazy how easy it is to use.
View Quote
Sweet.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay I don't mean what brand of brushes and wheels.

Go dumber than that.

I walk up to the wall of attachments for the angle grinder (I've never had an angle grinder before) and just stand there and stare.

What shapes/configurations of wheels and brushes are useful?

My first project, after I mess up a few scrap pieces to practice, is going to be my mower deck.

Pics in first post
View Quote
I use a slag hammer and a simple cheap wire brush (basic wood handle with wires sticking out of one end.)  For a grinder I like one of the multi layered sanding type "bits" the ones with layers of sand paper pretty much.  The one I get the most use out of is a HD grinding/cutoff wheel.  Think the one on my grinder is over 20 years old.  Lot smaller now than when I put it on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/20170430_104722.jpg

Slag hammer in the middle is the most important, along with some kind of wire brush.
View Quote
Yea this.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
So, I went shopping, getting ready for the welder to arrive.

Stood in front of the angle grinder attachments and got even more confused.  

The 4.5" attachments did not appear to fit the 4.5" grinder, which sent me into a logic meltdown.

Uxb is standing to the side, minding the cart while I pick up grinding wheel after grinding wheel, with the grinder in the other hand, comparing the sizes of the guard with the sizes of the wheels and saying, "I'm confused."  

And I hear a voice from down the aisle.  "I'm a metalworker.  Can I help?"

*fist pump* SCORE!!!!!!

Guy was a former Navy nuc welder.  Did what my dad did, sorta (Right after WWII, my dad worked at B&W, welding reactor drums for the first nuclear subs.  It was my dad's job to clean up other people's welding mistakes.)  

Anyway, this guy was great, and helped me through the tangle and showed me how to get over the fear of the grinder.

I realized today that I'm not really scared of the welder.  I'm scared of the grinder.
View Quote
You should be.

Google image search "angle grinder accidents" and youll never touch one. You will never go near one. You wont even go in a hardware store.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]

The 4.5" attachments did not appear to fit the 4.5" grinder, which sent me into a logic meltdown.

Uxb is standing to the side, minding the cart while I pick up grinding wheel after grinding wheel, with the grinder in the other hand, comparing the sizes of the guard with the sizes of the wheels and saying, "I'm confused."  

*fist pump* SCORE!!!!!!

Guy was a former Navy nuc welder.  Did what my dad did, sorta (Right after WWII, my dad worked at B&W, welding reactor drums for the first nuclear subs.  It was my dad's job to clean up other people's welding mistakes.)  

Anyway, this guy was great, and helped me through the tangle and showed me how to get over the fear of the grinder.

I realized today that I'm not really scared of the welder.  I'm scared of the grinder.
View Quote
Good.  You should be.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I found something I wasn't supposed to find. An ND Spud finished 80% lower with Colt M16A1 engravings and a serial number that took me back into 1990 during OSUT.

I think she saved everything, or at least some of what I had thought I had thrown out after I retired, which included so many pocket notebooks, one of which was time during basic and that's how she got the serial number.

This may be a birthday or an anniversary present. No pics, I put it back where it was hidden, haha.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GSL:
I found something I wasn't supposed to find. An ND Spud finished 80% lower with Colt M16A1 engravings and a serial number that took me back into 1990 during OSUT.

I think she saved everything, or at least some of what I had thought I had thrown out after I retired, which included so many pocket notebooks, one of which was time during basic and that's how she got the serial number.

This may be a birthday or an anniversary present. No pics, I put it back where it was hidden, haha.
View Quote
Wow. Dude thats impressive of her. If you told most people you wanted a Colt A1 lower cloned with a custom serial number they wouldnt know it was possible or where to start.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Wow. Dude thats impressive of her. If you told most people you wanted a Colt A1 lower cloned with a custom serial number they wouldnt know it was possible or where to start.
View Quote
And I just so happen to have a Colt A1 parts kit, and have an SP1 barrel unused, with an AR15 LPK. When it's gifted, I shall now have what was missing, a lower

She's a smart girl, I'm not surprised she found a way on her own. Now smart enough to hide stuff, that is whole another story.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#23]
And I just so happen to have a Colt A1 parts kit, and have an SP1 barrel unused, with an AR15 LPK. When it's gifted, I shall now have what was missing, a lower

She's a smart girl, I'm not surprised she found a way on her own. Now smart enough to hide stuff, that is whole another story.
View Quote
Sounds like a nice project!

Post pics when you can
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#24]

You know....I am not scared of a table saw with no blade guard, because I grew up helping my grandfather, and he taught me how to be safe, not only with proximity to the blade, but with kickbacks.

It was my DAD who taught me chainsaw safety.

Vo-ag taught me tractor safety.

Nobody in my family has ever had an angle grinder.

I don't know how to not be stupid.  I'll read the manual, but those aren't generally real-life.

So now I own two of the f***ers.

View Quote
Wear the gloves, face shield and a dust mask.  Those things can hurt you. When a grinding wheel breaks at thousands of RPM bad things can happen.
Oh, and don't push hard. Let the wheel do the work.

Same with a wire brush.  I have transported a guy with a wire from a grinder in his eyeball.  He said it hurt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Post pics when you can
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Post pics when you can
Will do.

Kinda glad I ordered the Colt A1 parts kit back when SG was selling them for $351 a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:46:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohio] [#27]

Yeah, the welding helmet I just bought has a "grinding" setting, and I hope I can see well enough through that to actually use it.  If not, I'm going for a face shield.  Guys talk about pulling wire out of their face and arms...

uh-huh...no.

I don't wanna do that.
View Quote
Well, you're smarter than I look.

Wear the PPE.  All the time, every time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#28]

*fist pump* SCORE!!!!!!

View Quote
Cool.

You have every right to be scared of the grinder.  Just wait till you set it down and it takes off doing its dance.  When it happens you will know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#29]

You know....I am not scared of a table saw with no blade guard, because I grew up helping my grandfather, and he taught me how to be safe, not only with proximity to the blade, but with kickbacks.

It was my DAD who taught me chainsaw safety.

Vo-ag taught me tractor safety.

Nobody in my family has ever had an angle grinder.

I don't know how to not be stupid.  I'll read the manual, but those aren't generally real-life.

So now I own two of the f***ers.

View Quote
Safety glasses and gloves.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Very cool.  I wish I could find my weapons card from '85.  I know its around somewhere.  Want to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#31]

yeah, I don't need to be that scared of it.

I do need enough clarity to pay attention when I pick it up.
View Quote
I bet it powers on by itself when you do, at least once.  Will scare the bejeezus out of you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
My cleaning lady dislocated her shoulder this morning. As an independent contractor we don't pay for her medical. But we're a family here and the owner is paying for it in full.

Every time I'm ready to just retire fully, something great happens and pulls me back in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#34]
My cleaning lady dislocated her shoulder this morning. As an independent contractor we don't pay for her medical. But we're a family here and the owner is paying for it in full.

Every time I'm ready to just retire fully, something great happens and pulls me back in.
View Quote
Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#36]
That's amazing.  Sounds like the kind of company I would enjoy working with.
View All Quotes

That's amazing.  Sounds like the kind of company I would enjoy working with.
She's a hard worker, we appreciate what she does as it's invaluable to us.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#38]

She cleans between tennants?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Why would it do that?
View Quote
Does yours have a paddle type on switch, on the underneath side of the handle (same side as the wheel?)  

Inevitably you will turn it on while picking it up, same goes for turning it on when setting it down, something will trigger the paddle switch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes.
View Quote
Sounds like an asset to the business.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By KingAirDriver:
View Quote
Stranger Danger.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Eagle34:

Stranger Danger.
View Quote

Hey Eagle, how ya been?  dbrad gave me a PM kick in the nuts, which I needed.    Sorry for being away so long.  Hope everyone is doing well!!

This first half of the year has been pretty nuts for us.  Work went from bad to really good, bought a new house, sold the old house, and spent 2.5 weeks away training on a new plane.  Life is finally starting to settle down a little bit.  Looking for a boat and guns now, lol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:44:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalahnikid] [#44]

Hey Eagle, how ya been?  dbrad gave me a PM kick in the nuts, which I needed.    Sorry for being away so long.  Hope everyone is doing well!!

This first half of the year has been pretty nuts for us.  Work went from bad to really good, bought a new house, sold the old house, and spent 2.5 weeks away training on a new plane.  Life is finally starting to settle down a little bit.  Looking for a boat and guns now, lol.
View Quote
New type rating?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#45]

New type rating?
View Quote
Yes sir, Challenger 300.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes sir, Challenger 300.  
View All Quotes

New type rating?
Yes sir, Challenger 300.  
Wow nice.

You got legs now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Does that mean he can go farther?
View Quote
Yes, that's what that means.
Although I am never quite sure whether in is further or farther.  I don't grok the difference.
Page / 1007
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top