Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I replaced all of the thermistors on my GE Arctica (PSS26NSTD) because the fridge wouldn't cool correctly and the coil kept freezing over.  It is still having similar problems, but seems to correct itself if I defrost it for a few days.  

Do I still have bad thermistors or a bad motherboard (problem with these models)? Also, you should know that this fridge is kept in the garage.

Here is an indepth thread with pics and history: Like to Appliantology thread

They are know for the defrost heaters going bad, they had to redesign the heater due to the failure rate. I have replaced hundreds of ge defrost heaters.
Provide the model number & I will see if it requires the redesigned heater.

I seen the pictures but could not see the lower part of the coil where the heater is but it looks like one they had to redesign.

Do you have a meter? If so ohm out the heater. Most likely it is the heater.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, I have a twelve year old Maytag dishwasher, the electronics seem to have stopped working.  Worth trying to fix?
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I replaced all of the thermistors on my GE Arctica (PSS26NSTD) because the fridge wouldn't cool correctly and the coil kept freezing over.  It is still having similar problems, but seems to correct itself if I defrost it for a few days.  

Do I still have bad thermistors or a bad motherboard (problem with these models)? Also, you should know that this fridge is kept in the garage.

They are know for the defrost heaters going bad, they had to redesign the heater due to the failure rate. I have replaced hundreds of ge defrost heaters.

GE Arctica PSS26NSTD SS
Serial VL 454079

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Whirpool LSR5233A clothes washer that occasionally (rarely) fails to drain.  I am thinking it is the timer mechanism since everything else seems to be functioning and it only happens like once every couple months.  If I spin the timer back around to regular cycle drain/spin, then it drains properly and finishes the cycle.  Should I replace the $127 part?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GE Arctica PSS26NSTD SS

Serial VL 454079

Thanks!

It does not use the redesigned heater but it does take a heater that is not two reliable.

Most common problem is the heater WR51X10055.
Do you have a meter to see if it ohms out?
Sorry did not read the whole post. Pull the wires off the heater & touch both spade connectors with your meter, if you set your meter to beep it should beep when you touch the spade connectors where the wires plug into. If it don't beep it is no good. 99% it is the heater.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
GE side-by-side fridge with ice maker and water dispenser. Unit is 8 yrs old and water has been disconnected for months. Water/ice form at the bottom of the freezer and leak out on the floor every couple days. What can I do? We emptied fridge/freezer and unplugged it for two weeks while we were on vacation. Problem still happens.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
GE side-by-side fridge with ice maker and water dispenser. Unit is 8 yrs old and water has been disconnected for months. Water/ice form at the bottom of the freezer and leak out on the floor every couple days. What can I do? We emptied fridge/freezer and unplugged it for two weeks while we were on vacation. Problem still happens.

Every 8-12 hours of compressor run time it will activate the defrost cycle & the water is supposed to drain into a pan. Clean the hose that goes from the drain pan to the drain tray. They get gunked up.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone make a dehumidifier that will last more than a year or two?
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#10]
10 year old GE profile side by side fridge ice maker will not crush ice anymore, it drops whole cubes on both settings (i know the horror)any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have been repairing appliances for over 10 years. Need help with your broken appliance? We need to stick together. Other arf.com members should offer there expertise to help the firearms community.
The first time the capacitor went out in the 3 ton outside AC unit it cost us $155.00 for the part and service call.

I watched the guy change it and when the smaller unit for the upstairs went 6 months later I picked up the part ($34.00) and put it in in 5 minutes.

This is where knowledge saves you money and time.

2 days with out AC and a cost 5 times higher or put in in yourself?

Warning:

You need to watch a you tube video on making sure the AC capacitor is fully discharged , the power in that thing is what jumps starts the motor in the AC unit and can kill you.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Post to add model number to my previous question.
KICU568SBL1
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Whirlpool frig.

The water supply line for the ice maker keeps freezing towards the bottom of the frig. Repair man came out and moved line but it still freezes and we cannot use the water filler feature or ice cube maker. Frig is a year old.

Can I just insulate the line or move it again?

If you are talking about the water storage tank in the bottom of the refrigerator section behind the crisper draws I would bypass it & install a inline filter. You can buy a inline filter for $10 a lot cheaper than the $50 factory filter.

That is what I did to my brand new refrigerator that had nothing wrong with it because I did not want to pay $50 every 6 months to replace the factory filter.

10 years in the business and this is the advice you give? No wonder why people don't trust us.

It's obvious he has an issue with temperature. Has NOTHING to do with filtration.

Duckbutter, You are still under warranty? YES, stay on their ass and get that resolved. If you are under warranty, DO NOT alter your unit in any way. DO NOT give them an excuse to say you are to blame ok?

You cannot fix a manafucture defect. Go ahead and spend hundreds replacing the mechanical temp control or electronic control & temp sensor & I bet you will still have the problem. RIGHT you cannot fix a manufacture defect, then defer it back to the manufacturer. Why pay money for a BMW that has a GPS system that doesnt work, your solution is to tape a Garmin to the OEM one? It is in the lap of the manufacturer to cover, repair or replace the product if it is not working as designed. If you were in my home and gave me those options to "leave it alone or bypass it" I would throw you out of my home. That is "settling" and it is not working as designed.

If it were a temp problem then everything in the refrigerator section would freeze. I beg to differ sir. Next time take your thermometer and test out temps in refrigerator. Cold air naturally drops thus colder at the bottom right where the resevoir is. Why do you think in wine coolers they say in succession from top to bottom its: Reds, Whites and Champagnes?

It is a design defect that whirlpool is know for, you can replace every part on the refrigerator & it will not fix it. Your only option is two bypass it.
All the ones I have done were electronic controlled and whirlpool replaced the controls and temp sensor on all 3 & guess what? It did not work.
I gave the customer the option to have whirlpool try to fix it AGAIN or let me bypass it & all chose to let me bypass it except 1 & they called back 6 months later after they got tryed of fucking with whirlpool & let me bypass it.

You have 2 options
Leave it alone & you won't have any ice or water
Or bypass it & it will work.

I can not redesign the unit to circulate the air in the refrigerator section better because that is the problem. If that is his problem to begin with. He has not confirmed that was his problem.
Every one I have bypassed were requested by the customer to bypass it, I did not do it behind there back. All were VERY happy that I got it working for $0 in parts. None of them were willing to pay hundreds for a new motherboard & temp sensor because they already knew that would not work & they could get it fixed for $0.

Along with my extensive years (27) out in the field, I was a technical advisor with a large high end appliance manufacturer. I worked with engineers on fixing said manufacturers defects. If we sent out a product that was faulty in design and NOT working as designed, it didn't matter if it was a simple light problem or catastrophic failure. It was on our shoulders to make right by the customer. If the product claims to do A, B and C and just did A & B, We were obligated to get "C" back on line. Now if we saw a tech telling our customer to bypass our design, if they were "OUR" servicer, they would be fired.

I have worked with Whirlpool and YES, they can be a pain in the ass but eventually, they will get the problem fixed. (Check the wiring harness issue they had on their ice machines and blowing out transformers) I told them about it 6 months before they issued a FSB on it. Two wires were crossed. I was going to do a field repair on it and the customer said "Thanks but no thanks... DONT open yourself up to a liability" and he was right. Now if your "bypass" job works (which it probably will) however, if the customer gets a leak in your line, ruins the floor and they turn to Whirlpool for damages, all they say is "That's not our work" and you didn't get a "Mother, may I?" permission from the manufacturer...Holy shit I hope you have insurance.

I am not trying to be a PITA to you. I have seen this movie before and been around the block in this industry to see all sorts of crap bite people in the ass. If you are bypassing design of the unit, I can only hope that you are noting it on the invoice, and writing "customer requests and is aware, repair is not by manufacturer design and relieves me of all liability"

First we are not talking about warranty repairs.

As you can see in my post you repeated the same thing I said.
I do not use "my water line" to bypass it, I use the same factory water line & the same factory water connectors. It does not require any materials to bypass it. All I do is disconnect the factory water line from the valve cut the line and reinstall it back on the factory connector. I have replaced hundreds of water valves & NEVER had one leak it is the same factory water line going onto the same factory connector. So there more of a chance of leaking when replacing the water valve because you have more than 2 or 3 water lines that need disconnected. When you bypass it you only disconnect one water line. it is the same as disconnecting one water line from the water valve & reconnecting it which I have disconnected thousands of water lines from water valves & reconnected them while replacing water valves & never had a problem but yes I am fully insured & don't worry about having a customer sign anything because I know exactly what I am doing.

If you ran into this situation & did not advise the customer there is a design defect because the unit was designed with not enough air circulation in the refrigerator section & you did not want to bypass it then anything else from that point on would be a scam & all you would be trying to do is rip the customer off to make more money. service tech like that is what gives us a bad name. Every one of the customers were VERY happy when the bill was only $50 to fix there unit. How much would it cost you to fix? Hundreds? You must of missed the part were I worked on them after whirlpool. One customer fought with whirlpool for a year.

dont worry about me revealing any trade secerets, There are pleanty of people for the "service techs that give us good ones a bad name" to scam.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Whirlpool frig.

The water supply line for the ice maker keeps freezing towards the bottom of the frig. Repair man came out and moved line but it still freezes and we cannot use the water filler feature or ice cube maker. Frig is a year old.

If you are talking about the water storage tank in the bottom of the refrigerator section behind the crisper draws I would bypass it & install a inline filter. You can buy a inline filter for $10 a lot cheaper than the $50 factory filter.

That is what I did to my brand new refrigerator that had nothing wrong with it because I did not want to pay $50 every 6 months to replace the factory filter.

10 years in the business and this is the advice you give? No wonder why people don't trust us.

It's obvious he has an issue with temperature. Has NOTHING to do with filtration.

Duckbutter, You are still under warranty? YES, stay on their ass and get that resolved. If you are under warranty, DO NOT alter your unit in any way. DO NOT give them an excuse to say you are to blame ok?

You cannot fix a manafucture defect. Go ahead and spend hundreds replacing the mechanical temp control or electronic control & temp sensor & I bet you will still have the problem. RIGHT you cannot fix a manufacture defect, then defer it back to the manufacturer. Why pay money for a BMW that has a GPS system that doesnt work, your solution is to tape a Garmin to the OEM one? It is in the lap of the manufacturer to cover, repair or replace the product if it is not working as designed. If you were in my home and gave me those options to "leave it alone or bypass it" I would throw you out of my home. That is "settling" and it is not working as designed.

If it were a temp problem then everything in the refrigerator section would freeze. I beg to differ sir. Next time take your thermometer and test out temps in refrigerator. Cold air naturally drops thus colder at the bottom right where the resevoir is. Why do you think in wine coolers they say in succession from top to bottom its: Reds, Whites and Champagnes?

It is a design defect that whirlpool is know for, you can replace every part on the refrigerator & it will not fix it. Your only option is two bypass it.
All the ones I have done were electronic controlled and whirlpool replaced the controls and temp sensor on all 3 & guess what? It did not work.
I gave the customer the option to have whirlpool try to fix it AGAIN or let me bypass it & all chose to let me bypass it except 1 & they called back 6 months later after they got tryed of fucking with whirlpool & let me bypass it.

You have 2 options

I can not redesign the unit to circulate the air in the refrigerator section better because that is the problem. If that is his problem to begin with. He has not confirmed that was his problem.
Every one I have bypassed were requested by the customer to bypass it, I did not do it behind there back. All were VERY happy that I got it working for $0 in parts. None of them were willing to pay hundreds for a new motherboard & temp sensor because they already knew that would not work & they could get it fixed for $0.

Along with my extensive years (27) out in the field, I was a technical advisor with a large high end appliance manufacturer. I worked with engineers on fixing said manufacturers defects. If we sent out a product that was faulty in design and NOT working as designed, it didn't matter if it was a simple light problem or catastrophic failure. It was on our shoulders to make right by the customer. If the product claims to do A, B and C and just did A & B, We were obligated to get "C" back on line. Now if we saw a tech telling our customer to bypass our design, if they were "OUR" servicer, they would be fired.

I have worked with Whirlpool and YES, they can be a pain in the ass but eventually, they will get the problem fixed. (Check the wiring harness issue they had on their ice machines and blowing out transformers) I told them about it 6 months before they issued a FSB on it. Two wires were crossed. I was going to do a field repair on it and the customer said "Thanks but no thanks... DONT open yourself up to a liability" and he was right. Now if your "bypass" job works (which it probably will) however, if the customer gets a leak in your line, ruins the floor and they turn to Whirlpool for damages, all they say is "That's not our work" and you didn't get a "Mother, may I?" permission from the manufacturer...Holy shit I hope you have insurance.

I am not trying to be a PITA to you. I have seen this movie before and been around the block in this industry to see all sorts of crap bite people in the ass. If you are bypassing design of the unit, I can only hope that you are noting it on the invoice, and writing "customer requests and is aware, repair is not by manufacturer design and relieves me of all liability"

I do not use "my water line" to bypass it, I use the same factory water line & the same factory water connectors. It does not require any materials to bypass it. All I do is disconnect the factory water line from the valve cut the line and reinstall it back on the factory connector. I have replaced hundreds of water valves & NEVER had one leak it is the same factory water line going onto the same factory connector. So there more of a chance of leaking when replacing the water valve because you have more than 2 or 3 water lines that need disconnected. When you bypass it you only disconnect one water line. it is the same as disconnecting one water line from the water valve & reconnecting it which I have disconnected thousands of water lines from water valves & reconnected them while replacing water valves & never had a problem but yes I am fully insured & don't worry about having a customer sign anything because I know exactly what I am doing.

If you ran into this situation & did not advise the customer there is a design defect because the unit was designed with not enough air circulation in the refrigerator section & you did not want to bypass it then anything else from that point on would be a scam & all you would be trying to do is rip the customer off to make more money. service tech like that is what gives us a bad name. Every on of the customers were VERY happy when the bill was only $50 to fix there unit. How much would it cost you to fix? Hundreds?

How much? Nothing. Because if it is known that there is a problem. I tell the customer, "There is an issue, they know about it. Stay on top of it" and I walk away. This is between the customer and the manufacturer.

When I said "Your line" I mean "your fix" You have altered the factory design without consent from the factory, don't you get that?

I am fully insured & don't worry about having a customer sign anything because I know exactly what I am doing.
Yeah, ok.

OK so you are one of the techs that walk in15 minutes later charge you $85 for the service charge and leave without doing anything.

Why would you need permission from the manufacture of a used appliance out of warranty?

Lets use your car ideal, You bought a used car but can not replace the radio until you call ford to get permission?
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#17]
We're getting ready to buy a new front-load He washer & dryer.

Any brands you recommend or advise to avoid?

My wife is eyeballing LG stuff right now...
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#18]
IBTL
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#19]
That was relatively quick.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Not today buddy boy.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IBTL

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#22]
The OP bailed out just like my last appliance repairman
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn, I loves me a good appliance repairman thunderdome.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Whirlpool frig.

You have 2 options

If you ran into this situation & did not advise the customer there is a design defect because the unit was designed with not enough air circulation in the refrigerator section & you did not want to bypass it then anything else from that point on would be a scam & all you would be trying to do is rip the customer off to make more money. service tech like that is what gives us a bad name. Every on of the customers were VERY happy when the bill was only $50 to fix there unit. How much would it cost you to fix? Hundreds?

How much? Nothing. Because if it is known that there is a problem. I tell the customer, "There is an issue, they know about it. Stay on top of it" and I walk away. This is between the customer and the manufacturer.

When I said "Your line" I mean "your fix" You have altered the factory design without consent from the factory, don't you get that?

I am fully insured & don't worry about having a customer sign anything because I know exactly what I am doing.
Yeah, ok.

OK so you are one of the techs that walk in15 minutes later charge you $85 for the service charge and leave without doing anything.

Why would you need permission from the manufacture of a used appliance out of warranty?

Lets use your car ideal, You bought a used car but can not replace the radio until you call ford to get permission?
You dont read or comprehend much do you?

He didnt say "Used", He said 1 year old.

If it is one year old it is out of warranty. I don't know what kind of world you live in but something somebody used for a year is considered "used"
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#26]
That Escalated Quickly...

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Ibtl?  

Sheesh. Repair is serious bizness
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Retread.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top