[#1]
Wow.  A 54-year-old nickel.

Wait....
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks cast to me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Fake. But kinda "Total Recall" cool.  Do you really think we can keep "in God we trust" on our coins for 50 more years? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Tom looks like a zombie in the future.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
That's what new nickels look like?

With debit cards I haven't seen change in a long time
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tom looks like a zombie in the future.

He's been drinking a lot in the undead afterlife because of how his country has been run lately and it's affecting his otherwise Adonis-like visage?

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Something very wrong..

I work at a rare coin shop so I will try and sound like I'm not talking out my ass..

First red flag is the P mint mark. Coins minted in Philli lack mint marks. The only coin to ever have a P mint mark was the 35% silver " war" nickels from 1942-43

And then such a new nickel its worn as shit.. Like moar wear then there should be that makes me think its the wrong kind of metal. What does it weigh?

People are counterfeiting EVERYTHING now.. They may have tried to make a error verity in hopes of bringing moar money
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
And so it has not yet begun.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
"Liberty" and "In God We Trust" in 2064, looks like my kids do have a future. I will sleep better tonight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Back from the future?!!?

What's on the other side??
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I like it.

I want it.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like it.

I want it.

I'll give You a real Nickle for it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
That was brought back from the future. Way Cool!!!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Something very wrong..

I work at a rare coin shop so I will try and sound like I'm not talking out my ass..

First red flag is the P mint mark. Coins minted in Philli lack mint marks. The only coin to ever have a P mint mark was the 35% silver " war" nickels from 1942-43

And then such a new nickel its worn as shit.. Like moar wear then there should be that makes me think its the wrong kind of metal. What does it weigh?

People are counterfeiting EVERYTHING now.. They may have tried to make a error verity in hopes of bringing moar money

So the year 2067 didn't jump out as the biggest problem first?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something very wrong..

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow!  There's an Estados Unidos in 2067?  I thought by then the atheist got rid of "God" on our currency.  Another amazing thing is the inference that the nickel will still be around and therefore no hyper-inflation in 2014.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Thomas Jefferson looks pissed in 2067.

That can't be a good sign.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something very wrong..

Lol
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm a time traveler, and I'll try not to sound like I'm talking out of my ass. In 2028, the Govt. decided that use of physical currency and coin had reduced to the point that only one mint needed to operate. The last operating mint is the Philadelphia mint. So proud they are of that distinction, they started marking their coins in 2030, after the other mints went off line. So, in 2067, the P mint mark is correct.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorcery!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Back from the future?!!?

The Colossus of Michelle, spanning Lake Michigan
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thomas Jefferson looks pissed in 2067.

That can't be a good sign.
Zombie Jefferson back from the dead.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I eagerly await hearing the OP's call.

"East of the Rockies, you're on the air, sir!"

Maybe Titor will dial in.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something very wrong..

Keyboard cleanup in progress!  Coca Cola BURNS on its way out of the nasal cavaties!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something very wrong..

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#27]
2007 denver nickel someone fucked with.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a time traveler, and I'll try not to sound like I'm talking out of my ass. In 2028, the Govt. decided that use of physical currency and coin had reduced to the point that only one mint needed to operate. The last operating mint is the Philadelphia mint. So proud they are of that distinction, they started marking their coins in 2030, after the other mints went off line. So, in 2067, the P mint mark is correct.

Hello fellow traveler, might I add to the discussion?

Quoted:

No that's the right kind of metal for a nickel in 2067.  In fact, all US coins, nickles, quarters, dollars and five dollars, are made from pot metal since the demand for nickel, zinc and copper went through the roof after the Autonomous Drone Wars started up back in 2041.

ETA:  That nickel is from the historic coinage series that the Mint did back in 2067.  Nowadays the coins are very different.  They are hexagonal, bilingual and have Jimmy Carter on the nickel, Clinton on the Quarter, Obama on the dollar coin, and former three term President Sheila Jackson Lee on the five dollar coin.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#29]
At least we know the "In God We Trust" is still on there.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Obvious differences that can be seen with the naked eye,

Deeper eye sockets
Flat row
Left cheek bone more defined
Nose completely fucked up
Detail in hair completely fucked up
Color is rounded instead of flat
Angle of jacket collar

It would pass through a transaction at a department store for sure but whoever printed this needs to pay more attention to the details

I'd take it back to where you got it and tell them you want real currency.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Got you Delorean to 88?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow!  There's an Estados Unidos in 2067?  I thought by then the atheist got rid of "God" on our currency.  Another amazing thing is the inference that the nickel will still be around and therefore no hyper-inflation in 2014.

Of course the US still exists in 2067. Of course it's bounded on the west by the Mississippi river and on the south by the Potomac. All of the low denomination coins came back into circulation after the second round of hyperinflation drive currency devaluations. Haven't you ever come up short when you tried to buy bread with a $20,000 bill.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Something very wrong..

Damn, I really thought this nickel was from 2067

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Now where did I leave that nickel....hmmm

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#35]

IS THAT YOU DOC?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Something very wrong..

Damn, I really thought this nickel was from 2067

Let me explain. In the 2060's the U.S. Mint started issuing "famous coins of the past".  They did it out of the Philadelphia mint and used a "P" mint mark to help people easily identify the coins as part of the commemorative run.  Philadelphia is the only mint in operation by 2050.  People pretty much stopped using all forms of specie and currency by 2040's.  Well, except for terrorist and drug-dealers.   So the U.S. Treasury started to exclusively use encrypted currency.  Your coin is one of those from the "famous coins of the past" series.    

In the future these coins are pretty much limited to collectors.  However, with the nickle you have there, it was over produced.  So it never really was much of a collector piece.  By the looks of it, while it was minted in 2067, it probably came form 2108.  That was the year of the "incident".

A group of radical "individualist" who fought the Unity party, illegally designed, and built a time-machine.  It is said they wanted to go back in time and try to stop the "unity party" from forming by releasing information on abuses by the government in the past.  They gathered all the "commemorative money" they could get their hands on to use as trade in the past.  That Jefferson nickle was the easiest to amass.  

The official story is that their time machine blew-up killing all the conspirators.  But I guess you've solved the mystery.  Wow, congrats.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No they just reset the value at 100 x current purchasing power multiple times over the next 54 years.

Mexican peso ring a bell?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Is that the one they found when they unwrapped King Tut?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#40]
chocolate coin
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

snip

Tim was way more entertaining.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do you really think we can keep "in God we trust" on our coins for 50 more years? Just wondering.

I hope not.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
2007 denver nickel someone fucked with.

You don't say!  
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back from the future?!!?

The Colossus of Michelle, spanning Lake Michigan

"Kids, don't look up!"
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Tim was way more entertaining.

Yup
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something very wrong..

Hahahhaa!! I love this place!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s77.photobucket.com/user/dragons_blood_802/media/hbkjzjB_zpsbcf58ca5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/dragons_blood_802/hbkjzjB_zpsbcf58ca5.jpg</a>

Well played...
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#49]
There better not be fuckin nickels in 2067.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Something very wrong..

I don't know much of anything about coins other than I collected some when I was little so I will try and sound like I'm not talking out of my ass.

The first thing I did was google 2067 nickel and look at the pictures and that instantly threw up a red flag because I could see that the inside of the nickel was clearly made out of chocolate. The Philadelphia mint doesn't make any of their coins out of chocolate, so I'm pretty sure it's counterfeit.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top