Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Please, when I lived in Florida, I used to drive to Key West in the morning, and back to Miami at night. Some people...

7 Mile Bridge

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Please, when I lived in Florida, I used to drive to Key West in the morning, and back to Miami at night. Some people...

Seen so many pics of this one.  Id like to drive it.  How many miles is it?  

Is the parallel one in mid construction?  
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Done the mackinac bridge, wasn't that bad.

I want to try this one:

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a long drive from Miami to Key West, but really fun, lots of places to stop, little islands here and there.

No, that's the old one

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Y'know for those of you standing up for the people that have panic attacks at the thought of having to drive over a bridge, I get that. I don't have that problem, but I can understand it.

But, if I had to do something five damn days a week that gave me a panic attack because it was part of my normal commute, I'd be bright enough to either find a new fuckin' job or move rather than showing what a dumbass I was on TV.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see the deal of making fun of people who don't like tall bridges.

If some people couldn't constantly post about how badass they were and how everyone else in the world was a pathetic cheep, they would have nothing else to post about.

Except, in this instance, the people who can't drive the bridge are pathetic.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Y'know for those of you standing up for the people that have panic attacks at the thought of having to drive over a bridge, I get that. I don't have that problem, but I can understand it.

But, if I had to do something five damn days a week that gave me a panic attack because it was part of my normal commute, I'd be bright enough to either find a new fuckin' job or move rather than showing what a dumbass I was on TV.

if you can afford to pay that kind of money on the commute there and back, and have a means of making the commute, why quit?

Sheesh, I'll bet your a real fan of handicap accessibility.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
That bridge is behind my house (a couple of miles out in the bay lol). Had I know people were paying to be driven across, I'd totally do it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you can afford to pay that kind of money on the commute there and back, and have a means of making the commute, why quit?

And yet again, you comment on my posts, each time reinforcing my opinion.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is a long drive from Miami to Key West, but really fun, lots of places to stop, little islands here and there. [div]
No, that's the old one

Not to hijack but do you remember any  of the good spots to stop?  I'm going to be doing that drive next month.

Also, that old 7 mile bridge looks pretty shady.  Not something I'd want to drive at night in a storm.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet again, you comment on my posts, each time reinforcing my opinion.

It's a shame the world can't be chock-full of such badasses as yourself.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
meah,

go across the Huey P long when theirs a train on it with you
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree with the idea that they shouldn't have put themselves on TV.  But sometimes you aren't able to move and jobs aren't easy to get.  It's easy for someone who doesn't have the problem to dismiss it.  Not so easy when it's you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Go drive across the bridge that goes over the Royal Gorge in Colorado, it's wood planks on top of steel on a suspension bridge.....oh yeah, it's only over 1,000 feet to the bottom

The Tappan Zee Bridge laughs through its holes which let you see the water below.  
That would be pretty cool on a bike.

Maybe, except it's got a wicked shimmy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah It's a cool bridge.  If you want a fear of bridges though try crossing it in the rain... when it's windy as fuck (it gets strong enough to pull a car all over the place)...     when you are on a sport bike.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been back and forth on that bridge a number of times heading to a vacation destination. It didn't bother me at the time of driving over it, but I was always happy to have it in the rear view mirror.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I design bridge for a living

Statistically, 3 bridges collapse per year on average and 6 people are killed.

since all the taxes being collected now are used to service debt instead of repair roadways, I am seeing more and more examples of really shockingly deteriorated bridges.

if this keeps up, you are going to see a lot of bridges close

the most recent job I did had timber piles supporting the bridge and some of the piles were eaten away to 10%  of the original section

I had to design big concrete jackets to go around the piles, just a bandaid repair, there's no money to replace the bridge

this is a major bridge, actually a viaduct about 25 spans long

obama spent a trillion on stimulus, but I've never the transportation industry so dead.

if a county puts out a tiny bridge replacement job that's worth a measly $200K in design fees, 13 or 14 companies will bid on it and the low bid will be like $75K

we are in a state of complete meltdown

our govenment has basically simply ceased to function as anything more than a vote buying scam and whores for the banking industry

my town collects $10K typcial property tax on a 4 bedroom house, the local schools have cracked linoleum on the floor from 1950

our government is simply nothing more than a scam, it is that simple

billions collected in taxes, nothing given back in return

Well, yeah - but you're in Zimbabwe...
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thats a hell of a gig, 20 crossings at $25.00 a pop. I have been over it in a semi, pretty cool really

It's making me think of moving and intruding on that guy's turf.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#20]
like key west and coronado bridges.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Those yankees would literally crap their pants if they had to use the Ponchartrain bridge.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
The state police used to have a service for the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  You'd pull over and call the cops, a state cop would come, drive your car across, and then get a ride back from another cop.  They discontinued it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a long drive from Miami to Key West, but really fun, lots of places to stop, little islands here and there.

No, that's the old one

Not to hijack but do you remember any  of the good spots to stop?  I'm going to be doing that drive next month.

Also, that old 7 mile bridge looks pretty shady.  Not something I'd want to drive at night in a storm.

Not really, last time I went to Key West was back in 2000, before I joined the Army and leaving Florida. Marathon Island is nice. Maybe some of the locals can jump in and give you a better idea.

This is another cool bridge I drove it a couple of times when I visited Tampa

[div]

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old bridge is not used for auto traffic anymore.  It was built back in the 1930s by Henry Flagler, the railroad magnate.  There is a gap in it now.  Remember the Arnold move True Lies?  The limo and a truck went off the bridge -- that was the old 7-mile bridge.  My husband drove it one time in a rental truck and said it was scary simply because it was so narrow.  I've heard semi-type trucks had to be very careful when meeting on the old bridge so they didn't scrape each other.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used to blast over this big ugly fucker on my crotch rocket for recreation.  Only 125' tall.

http://www.streano-havens.com/data/photos/62_1chicago_skyway_bridge.jpg

Is that the Cline Ave. bridge?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Here you go.  World's 15 longest bridges.  China caught-up already.

World's 15 longest bridges
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
meah,

go across the Huey P long when theirs a train on it with you

Oh yeah, I can testify to that.  I had a friend that was so afraid of the Huey that she would drive right down the middle of the two lanes.

We got off 10 to detour through Morgan City to get a Lisa's shrimp poor boy when we were headed west in  2011, and it appears they are building a new bridge.  Kind of shame.  The old Huey really separated the men from the boys, so to speak.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a long drive from Miami to Key West, but really fun, lots of places to stop, little islands here and there. [div]
No, that's the old one

Check out the FL HT forum.  We've had a couple of threads on things to do/see in the Keys.  You might have to search a little bit, or start a new thread.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Many people around here were deathly afraid of the old Sunshine Skyway bridge

http://i.imgur.com/dQke6ta.jpg    

I just logged in to post that.
The day the Skyway fell

I was driving to work off of Anna Maria Island and was stopped on the Manatee Avenue bridge while a barge went thru. It was a nasty, stormy morning and while I was looking around and waiting for the bridge to close I saw the (unbeknownst to me at the time) Summit Venture approaching the Skyway and disappear into one of the squalls. As the draw closed and traffic started to move I noticed that the squall had cleared and that the freighter appeared to be stopped at the bridge. A few minutes later the news came over the radio that a boat had struck the structure. It wasn't till an hour or so later that I was fully aware of what had actually happened.

35 people died that day....

The only survivor that went off that bridge was one of my sister's co-workers, I was a kid at the time, but I remember it well...
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

holy christ these folks need to turn in their man- and woman-cards.

try the Big Mac.  5 miles long.  200 feet up.  on a 200lb enduro bike.  in 45MPH winds.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Bridge

ar-jedi

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1290.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1300.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1304.JPG

done that on a sport bike. not thrilled about the grates.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Scary?  Try driving the fucking Huey P. Long during rush hour in your 3-day old car.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_P._Long_Bridge_%28Jefferson_Parish%29

done this too, on a sport bike, in heavy traffic, with train. total concentration!
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Try I-65 at Louisville across the Ohio river during rushhour in a snowstorm pulling a 8' wide car hauler.  The lane is only about 8'6" wide
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many people around here were deathly afraid of the old Sunshine Skyway bridge

http://i.imgur.com/dQke6ta.jpg    

I just logged in to post that.
The day the Skyway fell

I was driving to work off of Anna Maria Island and was stopped on the Manatee Avenue bridge while a barge went thru. It was a nasty, stormy morning and while I was looking around and waiting for the bridge to close I saw the (unbeknownst to me at the time) Summit Venture approaching the Skyway and disappear into one of the squalls. As the draw closed and traffic started to move I noticed that the squall had cleared and that the freighter appeared to be stopped at the bridge. A few minutes later the news came over the radio that a boat had struck the structure. It wasn't till an hour or so later that I was fully aware of what had actually happened.

35 people died that day....

Even though I was 10 when it happened, I still remember that and have the Newseek magazine that covered the story.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top