Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2013 5:16:21 PM EDT
Im wearing out arfcom with revolver questions but this gun struck me as odd... Any info on this gun... Value? Can pick it up for less than 500, worth it?

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that engraving or etching...it looks cheap on an otherwise
nice revolver.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is that engraving or etching...it looks cheap on an otherwise
nice revolver.

It appears to be factory.. I googled engravings and another gun just like this came up
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
When I bought my 3" Model 66 it came with a S&W brochure of their 'factory' engraving--it was all cheap-looking crap like this.  Nothing like classic engraving like Niemske or Helfrecht.   Pretty sure it's just standard production line stuff.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
That was a "limited" edition some distributor did a few years ago. I remember seeing those when I worked for a shop but I can't remember who sold them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I cant decide if I like it or not... Its different, thats for sure... Im pretty sure I can get it for less than 475... If thats a deal or not, I dont know?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That was a "limited" edition some distributor did a few years ago. I remember seeing those when I worked for a shop but I can't remember who sold them.

Lew Horton?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks kind of cheesy to me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It's like tribal tats on an attractive girl. Totally ruins it.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I cant decide if I like it or not... Its different, thats for sure... Im pretty sure I can get it for less than 475... If thats a deal or not, I dont know?

Thats a deal for just about any 586

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe those were called "Laser Etched Smiths"?

ETA: Link to one for sale on the S&W Forums

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/285331-disinguished-combat-magnum.html

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]
not a lew horton, the smith book shows no 586's done for them.  

got a s/n?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd grab it- that was the first handgun I ever bought. ( without etching)
They called it the " Distinguished Combat Magnum"

I would imagine you may be able to send it in to S&W and have it re-blued?
( no one has a better looking bluing)

Since it already looks 'bubba'd", what's the harm?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#14]
If you do get it replace the grips with some nice wood or stag.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Im looking for a pistol to shoot... Would this be a dumb purchase... I wouldnt want to keep it parked in the safe
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Im looking for a pistol to shoot... Would this be a dumb purchase... I wouldnt want to keep it parked in the safe

Buy it and just shoot it, after beating down the price as much as possible.

IMHO, it's worth less than an unmarked 586, but the price isn't too much out of line, assuming it's in very good to excellent condition.

Somebody took off the factory grips, and they are worth a good bit of money, though I can't give you an accurate price. They vary by when they were made, and condition. Some of the older wood grips in excellent+ condition that came on S&W revolvers are easily worth $250. I would pay the asking price, if the wood grips were on it. See if the seller still has them, as see if you can get them added to the deal at the same price.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#17]
God this frustrates the living shit out of me! I have identified the gun, but all you people still think some dumbfuck etched it in their basement. I guess I will stop helping people here as they are incapable of reading anything. Sheesh! So to recap it is NOT a home nor aftermarket finish applied, this gun came from the factory in the late 80's like this.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#18]
For 475 I'd buy ten of them.

That is one of the best .357 revolvers on the planet. It's worth a lot more than that. I typically see them sell for around 600+ with 4 in barrels and no engraving.

If you don't buy it let me know and I will.

SW 586 prices

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't really care for the "engraving" but it would not stop me from buying the 586 for that price.

The upside is the etching will not affect the performance, the downside is that it's gonna look like ass when it starts to wear. Etching is not very durable, but it is also reversible (unlike real engraving that is permanent).

Buy the revolver and shoot the shit out of it.

In other words . . . "It'll buff out."

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For 475 I'd buy ten of them.

That is one of the best .357 revolvers on the planet. It's worth a lot more than that. I typically see them sell for around 600+ with 4 in barrels and no engraving.

If you don't buy it let me know and I will.

SW 586 prices

Damn, they do seem to go for quite a bit more than what I can pick this up for... I just wish it didnt have the engavings haha
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:46:26 AM EDT
[#21]
$475 is a great price for a 586.  

If the engraving bothers you, you could probably sand it all off and have it refinished and still come out cheaper than most 586 deals.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Ended up getting it... Talked the guy down to 400... Now Im looking for some better looking wooden grips
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Agreed.

If I bought it, I'd have it refinished.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Great buy for $400 even though it looks like ass.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Lucky bastard.

You could double your money today as is on Gun broker lol. i

Personally I'd keep it. Who gives a shit about the engraving.......

That is  bad ass revolver.....I'd load up some 125 XTP's on top of 296 and hit the range with that beauty.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have identified the gun, but all you people still think some dumbfuck etched it in their basement.

im not seeing anyone say that anywhere, let alone after your post.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Actually Im starting to like it the more I look at it... It does look a lot better in person... I couldnt pass it up for the price...
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#28]
For some reason I was thinking about a 586 Processor

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
God this frustrates the living shit out of me! I have identified the gun, but all you people still think some dumbfuck etched it in their basement. I guess I will stop helping people here as they are incapable of reading anything. Sheesh! So to recap it is NOT a home nor aftermarket finish applied, this gun came from the factory in the late 80's like this.

That doesn't mean any value was added.  It's laser cut "engraving" filled with gold paint.  Looks trashy as hell.

CZ came out with their nice little line of side by side doubles and had to screw them up with a poorly done crest on the lever.  Too bad, the guns were pretty nice otherwise.

A 586 is a great revolver that can easily stand on its merits without cheap decoration.

There is actually no gold on this gun at all... The finish is a black stainless... Like I said earlier Im starting to like it more and more... I totally can understand not everyone will like it, I wasnt keen on it the 1st time I saw it, but now that its sitting in my safe, Im starting to warm up to it...
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't mean any value was added.  It's laser cut "engraving" filled with gold paint.  Looks trashy as hell.

CZ came out with their nice little line of side by side doubles and had to screw them up with a poorly done crest on the lever.  Too bad, the guns were pretty nice otherwise.

A 586 is a great revolver that can easily stand on its merits without cheap decoration.

Actually you are wrong. This was a limited production for a year at most, to a Smith collector that means they want one for their collection. When Model 16's were being made you couldn't hardly give one away. They made them for two years I paid $350 for mine and sold it a few years later for $1250. If the OP were to list it on Gun Broker I imagine it would bring $700-$1000 no problem.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually you are wrong. This was a limited production for a year at most, to a Smith collector that means they want one for their collection. When Model 16's were being made you couldn't hardly give one away. They made them for two years I paid $350 for mine and sold it a few years later for $1250. If the OP were to list it on Gun Broker I imagine it would bring $700-$1000 no problem.

Thats good to know, Any idea on how I can get some more history on this gun... Id like to find some factory grips aswell

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:15:58 AM EDT
[#34]
The link I provided in my first post is to the S&W collectors forum. Search there and you will find what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#35]
negative on that purchase
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks very nice!

I'd FO.

Needs some wood grips.

Oh yeah, needs silver bullets too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top