Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 6/1/2013 5:06:50 PM EDT
So I went out today with a vendor to shoot my rifle for the last time (sadly had to part it out).

All things going great and we hear a EXTREMELY LOUD BOOM.   Screaming ensues. "CEASE FIRE!!! CEASE FIRE!!! CALL 911!!! CALL 911!!" and all the RO's are running to this one guy..

Well come to find out this was the FIRST SHOT FIRED from a Brand new Vulcan 50cal using factory ammo.  The bolt lugs disintigrated, the charging handle sheared from the bolt, and the bolt exploded backwards and lodged into the guys neck area.  They found the charging handle about 30 feet behind him in the grass while the paramedics were tending to him.  Ambulance arrived quickly, and im no doctor, but it looked like the guy was going to be alright based on the fact they didn't seem to be too worried while tending to him.

Look at the RIGHT HAND PURPLE GLOVE

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]

I hope the guy is alright.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad he's okay.

I've never actually seen any first hand Vulcan use.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the weapon of the speshul forces right there
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#5]
oh yeah, we found the back half of the case sheared almost perfectly from the upper half....oversided chamber?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
damm
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's the weapon of the speshul forces right there

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope he sues the shit out of them and wins
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
oh yeah, we found the back half of the case sheared almost perfectly from the upper half....oversided chamber?

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow.  This is why it's so important for RO's to have at least ACLS certifications.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn.

There comes a point where cheap equals dangerous. That point is reached much faster when the .50 BMG is involved and faster still when the tards at Vulcan are doing the work.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]
1. Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne needs to be burned to the ground.  No move. No name change. Gone.

2. That's a big boy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
He chose....poorly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
It appears Hesse Blackthorne Vulcan is going to be changing it's name again, soon.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Friends don't let friends buy Vulcan.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow.  This is why it's so important for RO's to have at least ACLS certifications.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did the guy have a heart attack?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
to be fair to all involved...it was American Eagle Black box ammo....funny thing i went to the gun store right after leaving the range, and as i walked up, a guy had about 10 boxes of the stuff he had just paid for with his wife carrying his brand new 50....almost said something, but didn't want to screw the guy out of a chance to see a bolt lodged in his wife....

joking....about the ammo

no really, real story, joking about bolt in wife
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Who the hell wears sandals while shooting?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Takes a big set of balls for Vulcan to MFG and retail a .50 cal firearm. Like a big middle finger to the shooter.

I have heard Vulcan horror stories before. This one is beyond scary.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Derp. First-Aid from A.R.C. and a landline for 911 would be waaaaay more useful unless the range is attached to a fried chicken buffet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Takes a big set of balls for Vulcan to MFG and retail a .50 cal firearm. Like a big middle finger to the shooter.

Takes a pretty ignorant shooter to BUY a Vulcan anything, much less a .50...
There's this newfangled thing call the internet, where researching your big, potentially dangerous purchases is fast and free...
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]
dudes darn lucky it didn't cut jugular or do spinal damage alot of force for that to go reverse....

any word on him ?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I was an RO for a county-operated range.  We were all Red Cross certified First Aid, CPR, and AED.  We were also forbidden from using our training on any of the public for fear of lawsuits.  We were told to bring out a first aid kit and let the injured party or bystanders provide care.  I treated a GSW at our range and was almost fired for it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#29]
nah no word on the guy...didn't know him...this was about 10am today.  lucky he wasnt shooting prone...would have been MUCH uglier
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard Vulcan horror stories before. This one is beyond scary.

Never knew that they made a .50. This is criminal.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#31]
wow
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was an RO for a county-operated range.  We were all Red Cross certified First Aid, CPR, and AED.  We were also forbidden from using our training on any of the public for fear of lawsuits.  We were told to bring out a first aid kit and let the injured party or bystanders provide care.  I treated a GSW at our range and was almost fired for it.

If I happened to be injured at a range, I would hope that someone who was trained in first aid would offer it.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who the hell wears sandals while shooting?

I was gonna post this.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What type of GSW?

Caliber, anatomical landmark(s)?

More please.  Always looking at real-world GSW's and gaming out how I would treat them.  Have treated a few myself, including on myself after being shot by someone else.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#35]
story from his buddy was that he traded an automatic saiga 12 gauge for it....any time you can trade a saiga for a 50, you should know youre f*cked
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Right hand purple glove, what am I looking at here?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If I were a resident of that county, I would work hard to fire whoever wrote that asinine policy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Weather looks nice
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Vulcan the same as Colt or LaRue?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Right hand purple glove, what am I looking at here?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

the bolt is in the hand of the purple glove....look closely and see the black thing in his hand, thats the bolt stuck in guys neck
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp. First-Aid from A.R.C. and a landline for 911 would be waaaaay more useful unless the range is attached to a fried chicken buffet.

What you talking about ACLS teaches everything there is to know about Trauma treatments....
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Vulcan the same as Colt or LaRue?

Better.  It is primarily used by special forces operators and warfighters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

May I just re, you don't know what ACLS is or what the training entails, do you?

ACLS isn't/wouldn't of helped. Some BLS/first responder training (about as low and basic as you can go, one day course) would be a good level of training for ROs.

My range medic bag looks like I am about to invade Fallujah when I go to the range. Thank god all I have ever had to pass out is bandaids.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#44]
"technology's tip of the spear!"

does that even make sense?

I like how they only list a po box for their address.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Not having any idea what a Vulcan .50 BMG was, I went to google to find out.  Too bad the guy didn't have the foresight the Arfcommer had.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=251060

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ACLS=Advanced Cardiac Life Support

CPR and First Aid, throw in an AED and that is pretty much all that can and should be done on scene

ETA.... lot of butt hurt about the wrong acronym....Baaahhhhhhaaaa......
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Probably because they make weapons that you or I will never know even existed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you talking about ACLS teaches everything there is to know about Trauma treatments....

Come on now, why wouldn't 360 J fix a bolt in the neck....
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because they make weapons that you or I will never know even existed.

I sure hope so.  I hope they don't sell them either.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
to be fair to all involved...it was American Eagle Black box ammo....funny thing i went to the gun store right after leaving the range, and as i walked up, a guy had about 10 boxes of the stuff he had just paid for with his wife carrying his brand new 50....almost said something, but didn't want to screw the guy out of a chance to see a bolt lodged in his wife....

joking....about the ammo

no really, real story, joking about bolt in wife

WTF?

You just seen a guy almost die with a gun exploding in his face and your cracking jokes about?

WTF? 13r
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top