Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2013 1:48:11 AM EDT
Just passing along in case anyone buys frozen berries there. I haven't in a while, thankfully. Hepatitis?

DENVER (CBS4)- Some 30 cases of hepatitis A have been reported in Colorado and four other states that have been linked to frozen mixed berries purchased from Costco.

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is investigating along with the Centers for Disease Control and Food and Drug Administration in an outbreak of hepatitis A cases believed to be associated with Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend of frozen berries.

The first people became ill on April 29 and the most recent on May 21. Five of these cases are Colorado residents. The number of cases in Colorado and in this outbreak may change, because on average it takes 30 days to become ill with hepatitis A after eating contaminated food.

Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend frozen berries purchased from Costco appear to be the source of this outbreak. This blend includes cherries, blueberries, pomegranate seeds, raspberries and strawberries. Costco has removed this product from its shelves, although a formal recall has not been issued.

FDA is further investigating this product, including testing berries for the hepatitis A virus. The investigation may take several weeks to complete.

The Colorado cases reside in the Adams, Boulder, Clear Creek, Eagle and Jefferson counties. Three women and two men have become ill. They range in age from 35 to 71 years.

The state health department is asking people to check their freezers. If you have the product, dispose of it. Do not eat it.

The risk of contracting hepatitis A from eating these berries is low. However, if you have eaten Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend frozen berries during the past 14 days, contact your medical provider for an immunization. If you do not have a medical provider, contact your local health department.

The hepatitis A vaccine can prevent infection if given within 14 days of exposure. Some people should receive immune globulin instead of the hepatitis A vaccine. If you ate these berries within the past 14 days please discuss with your doctor whether you should receive the hepatitis A vaccine or immune globulin. If you have received hepatitis A vaccine in the past, you do not need to be re-vaccinated.

If it has been more than 14 days since you have eaten these berries, the vaccine won’t be effective preventing infection. Please monitor for symptoms and contact your physician if you become ill.

Early signs of hepatitis A appear two to six weeks after exposure. Symptoms commonly include mild fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, pain in the upper right side of the abdomen, dark urine and jaundice (yellow eyes or skin). It is very important if you have these symptoms that you do not go to work, especially if you work in food service, health care or child care.

The disease varies in severity, with mild cases lasting two weeks or less and more severe cases lasting four to six weeks or longer. Hepatitis A infection can be severe and can result in hospitalization. Some individuals, especially children, may not develop jaundice and may have an illness so mild it can go unnoticed. However, even mildly ill people can be highly infectious. People with symptoms suggestive of hepatitis should consult a physician immediately, even if symptoms are mild.

Hepatitis A virus is spread as a result of fecal contamination (fecal-oral route) and may be spread from person to person through close contact or through food handling. The virus is commonly spread by contaminated food or beverages. People are at increased risk of acquiring hepatitis A when they have been in close contact with an infected person.

For more information, please see the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/Choosea.htm or call COHelp at 1-877-462-2911.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/05/31/hepatitis-a-outbreak-linked-to-townsend-farms-frozen-berries-from-costco/
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
My Grandmother eats these.

Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It would be nice if they named the four states.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's a surprise!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, my fabulous brunch is off I guess..
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

YOLO
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Basil Fawlty would find a way around little Hep A. Or B. Or C.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to Costco.  I love you.  Here's your hepatitis.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:35:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Great.  I was just eating some of those berries on my Grape Nuts.  I've been eating on that bag of berries for a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]
i have 2 in my frezzer but they where bought months ago? shoul i toss?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#10]
That organic shit will kill you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll be be waiting in the parking lot.......in less than 12 minutes.......
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you OP.   i don't have the stuff luckily.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 3:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Organic = extra poo.

I'll take mine with chemical fertilizers instead please.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:03:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Organic = extra poo.

I'll take mine with chemical fertilizers instead please.

it's probably from the guy picking them with a case of Montezuma's Revenge, rather than a case of fertilizer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Federal officials suspect the pomegranate seeds, which came from Turkey, caused the outbreak, not Oregon berries. Foodborne Hepatitis A outbreaks are relatively uncommon as well

But this is the third hepatitis A outbreak in recent months linked to frozen berries. In Europe, more than 70 people have developed the liver disease in Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway. Scientists suspect that frozen berries from Egypt and Morocco were to blame in that case.

And in Germany, Poland and the Netherlands, about 15 people who consumed frozen berries while visiting Italy came down with hepatitis A.

Hepatitis A, B and C are caused by three different viruses. They can cause similar symptoms, but have different modes of transmission and can affect the liver differently.

Hepatitis A can cause acute illness but does not become chronic. Those infected usually improve without treatment.

Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C can also begin as acute infections, but in some people the virus remains in the body, resulting in chronic disease and long-term liver problems. There are vaccines to prevent hepatitis A and B. There is none for hepatitis C.

– Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Shit, I eat some berries from Costco but not sure the brand. Time to go check.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Good thing I bought the Non-Organic Costco Rader Farms berries.

ETA:

Quoted:

Thirty cases have been reported since late April in Colorado and four other western states: New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and California. The most recent outbreak was on May 21, but health officials say it takes around 30 days to become sick with Hepatitis A, so the number of those infected could change.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Seems R. Lee Ermey was right, only two things come from Texas.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top