Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2013 5:31:20 PM EDT
Following last weeks race where a cable holding an aerial camera snapped and allowed the cable to fall on the track causing some damage to some vehicles NASCAR has come up with the brilliant idea of not allowing cameras at the track until a fix is in place.  Okay let me get this straight....NASCAR is a sporting event that depends a lot on TV time as well as SPONSORS being seen on TV.  Now they want to ban NASCAR from tv by not allowing cameras?

Yeah let us know how that helps ratings and fills the stands!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/warped-wednesday-coca-cola-600-cameras-no-longer-223829832.html

Warped Wednesday: After Coca-Cola 600, cameras no longer allowed at NASCAR races

Welcome to Warped Wednesday. On this, we'll put out the rush to judgment mat, go a little too far and have a little fun. Will it be funny? Sometimes. Will it be crazy and largely unbelievable? Probably. Will not everyone get it? Definitely.

Sorry fans, NASCAR is going dark.

In response to Sunday's cable camera incident and in a boost to struggling attendance numbers, NASCAR has decided that until a suitable solution has been found, cameras will be banned from all NASCAR tracks.

Yes, that means no television coverage of this weekend's events at Dover and likely longer. A source close to Warped Wednesday said that the process could take a month or more. While the Brickyard 400 has been mentioned as the final line to get NASCAR races back on TV, NASCAR is having internal discussions about extensive cable testing that would push any possible solution into August.

Why? Well, the sanctioning body wants to make sure that another rope doesn't snap and damage cars like it did on Sunday night. After all, the rope that broke was designed to hold exponentially more weight than was distributed on it. Secondly, it would be a great test for Indianapolis' glaring attendance problem. Attendance has fallen sharply at the Brickyard and NASCAR is hoping that depriving the country of television coverage will mean more fans will come to the track.

Why all cameras, and not just cameras attached by ropes? Well, camera lenses are made of glass, and we saw the damage that a rope could do to a car. What would happen if a lens cracked and glass fell on the track and a car suffered a massive tire failure from it? Or what would happen if an entire camera fell? Those are scenarios NASCAR would rather prevent entirely for the time being than take the chance of happening.

Of course, this is a touchy issue because of sponsorship contracts, but NASCAR is confident in this plan. When fans tune in on television, the race audio will be provided by MRN and PRN (depending on the track) and the race will be shown in LEGOs.

NASCAR knows that the radio announcers at MRN and PRN have a knack for making the racing on track infinitely more exciting than it actually is, which will artificially excite viewers and get them thinking about heading to the track the following week. Also, everyone loves LEGO re-enactments of sporting events, so there's potential for millions of YouTube views after the race. The LEGO re-enactments will be a tough task for NASCAR's IMC public relations team, but they have been working around the clock this week to create a LEGO Dover and are confident that the race will be appropriately recreated.

Or is this an all in good fun article?
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
This is why satire should not be sprinkled in with reporting and opinion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Your response was funnier than the article !

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
They have to be talking about the rope camera system.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything that hastens the slow death is welcome.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Danica's fault
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yup. then maybe we can get back to stock car racing.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Danica made a right turn into OP's reading comprehension.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

danica patwreck
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Women's curling > NASCAR
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Danica's fault

Her ugly ass broke the camera.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think anyone would notice the difference between live action and Legos anyway
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]

If not previously it died when SR. hit the wall.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Warped Wednesday: After Coca-Cola 600, cameras no longer allowed at NASCAR races

Welcome to Warped Wednesday. On this, we'll put out the rush to judgment mat, go a little too far and have a little fun. Will it be funny? Sometimes. Will it be crazy and largely unbelievable? Probably. Will not everyone get it? Definitely.

Green part is key.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Generally, when the very first part of an article says something to the effects of "This is satire", you probably shouldn't take it too seriously.

Start at the beginning.
Read til the end.
?????
Profit
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the right turn of events for NASCAR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
i hate basketball.

having a basketball should be a capital offense

bouncing one should be life with no parole.

having a basketball goal in you yard should result in you house being raised and you sent to a gulag.

get my drift, i hate b-ball. its an ugly chaotic sport played by disreputable characters.

next on my list is NASCAR. around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around in circles, everyone driving the same car more or less and the stands packed with retards whilst other retards watch it on tv because they are retarded.

so ban them both.

back in the day, NASCAR was run on sunday buy on monday, now its just a bunch of restrictor plate cookie cutter cars driven by folks who would be better chasing cattle on the back 40.

im all for no cameras, heck no radio, no stands, no spectators. let them drive around in the desert somewhere by themselves. and good rid-dons
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I watched that race and that was an amazing shot from that camera.  That had to be one very long cable though!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
NASCAR has been pretty good this year.  Some races where amazing, many very good and only a few that stunk.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i hate basketball.

having a basketball goal in you yard should result in you house being raised and you sent to a gulag.

get my drift, i hate b-ball. its an ugly chaotic sport played by disreputable characters.

next on my list is NASCAR. around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around in circles, everyone driving the same car more or less and the stands packed with retards whilst other retards watch it on tv because they are retarded.

so ban them both.

back in the day, NASCAR was run on sunday buy on monday, now its just a bunch of restrictor plate cookie cutter cars driven by folks who would be better chasing cattle on the back 40.

im all for no cameras, heck no radio, no stands, no spectators. let them drive around in the desert somewhere by themselves. and good rid-dons

1. It's riddance.

2. Because you don't like it, it should be banned?

3. Tell us how you really feel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i hate basketball.

so ban them both.

Racist and anti-redneck.  That is quite the combo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

danica patwreck

There is no fucking way that there is anyone on this earth that would consider that even a little funny.  It is just horrible.  Go sit in the corner and think about what you just did.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I've always been a fan of motorsports, particularly all forms of motorcycle/dirt bike racing, and off-road truck/buggy racing. I always though NASCAR was insanely boring but I've been into it the past couple years. I generally just watch the end of the races though. But I do like to listen to pre-race stuff to hear from drivers, what the teams are doing to set up their cars, etc.

o and about the cameras. To keep viewing rates up, I think it's insane to sacrifice TV quality because of a single incident.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. then maybe we can get back to stock car racing.

Yes!  Please, oh please!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i hate basketball.

so ban them both.

Herp derp
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Next they will take away the GPS systems from the drivers and they will all get lost.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Danica's fault

LOL. You're delusional. She's pretty darn good looking any way you slice it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Danica's fault

I'm gonna have to go with goblin on this one
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Danica's fault

I'm gonna have to go with goblin on this one

She's pretty good looking with makeup on but there are some shots of her where she looks gross. But yea, I'd smash.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top