Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2013 3:29:48 PM EDT
What is everybody's experience with them? I have one in a 2001 F 150 and haven't had any sort of trouble with it. As far as I know, it should have the issue with the plugs blowing out of the head, but they never have. As for mileage, not impressive. Pretty much anywhere between 12 and 14. Anybody know of any mods that would help out with power and fuel consumption? And yes, I purposely put this in gd for exposure. If you are going to troll, at least TRY to make our entertaining.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is everybody's experience with them? I have one in a 2001 F 150 and haven't had any sort of trouble with it. As far as I know, it should have the issue with the plugs blowing out of the head, but they never have. As for mileage, not impossible. Pretty much anywhere between 12 and 14. Anybody know of any mods that would help out with power and fuel consumption? And yes, I purposely put this in gd for exposure. If you are going to troll, at least TRY to make our entertaining.

I have a 2002 f-150 4x4 with the 5.4 and the only thing I'm not a fan of is the mileage I average around 13.5-14.5 mpg in general driving and top out at 18 mpg on the highway. My 1997 Chevy z-71 would get 16 avg and upto 19 on the highway with the 5.7 / 350 in it. The ford has a 3.55 l/s rear end and the Chevy had a 3.42 l/s. There is a tuner the gryphon I believe that you could have a economy tune loaded and people supposedly were getting a 2ish mpg improvement spending on what other mods they had.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Also if you haven't changed your spark plugs yet you want to torque them to 28 ft/lbs with no anti-seize and you won't have an issue with them backing out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The older ones..before 2004 had almost no threads for the plugs and they would blow the plugs out.

Look for heli coils... that's how they would fix it....I had a 2003 FX4 and it didn't blow any plugs but my neighbors expedition did. It got shit gas mileage.....

After 2004 they went to a two piece design and if the plugs break...you had to use a special tool to get them out....I've read people spending over 3k for a plug change.

Personally the one problem I had....and it somewhat common on the 2004+ new 3v engines was my timing cam sensor ..2005 Lariat.......and it's an expensive fix. It wasn't the sensors.....it was the cam phasers at 75k.
miles.

I traded it in on a 2011 CC Sport Dodge Hemi and that's been the best motor I've ever had.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also if you haven't changed your spark plugs yet you want to torque them to 28 ft/lbs with no anti-seize and you won't have an issue with them backing out.

How come no anti-seize.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How come no anti-seize.

probably leak into the combustion chamber and cause fouling?

Dunno, that stuff works on O2 sensors, tho.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
They don't have alot of threads holding, and can work their way loose with anti-seize.

I have a 2002.  I replaced the plugs at 145k because there was a cylinder missing.  Then this year, the fuel pump went out on it.  The brake pedal had gotten to where I (felt like I) had to pump it once, and would start sinking in the drive-thru, so I had them check it when I got the fuel pump replaced...needed a new master cylinder.  Then about a month ago, I was smelling coolant, and I finally found the leak...plastic intake manifold had cracked.

At 169k I've gotten my money out of it, and had no issues...none...until about 145k.  It's doing well now, no complaints at this time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How come no anti-seize.

They only have 4 threads holding th plug in the factory spec torque spec was around 12-14 ft/lbs with anti seize which led to the plugs loosing up and eventually shooting out of the head. In 2004 they switched to 8 threads and the two piece spark plugs which led to their own issues i.e. the plugs breaking off I guess they were unable to settle on a happy medium of 6 threads.

http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/faqs.htm
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How come no anti-seize.

Motorcraft plugs are nickel plated so there's no issue with electrolysis. Plus it changes torque specs.

I have an '01 with 110k miles. I got it with 65k on it. Only issues so far are I had to replace the IAC, and I had the leaky cruise control brake switch that was recalled for causing fires
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I just changed the plugs in my 2004 Superduty at 145,000.  I developed a miss too, but it was a carbon trace through the boot.  Still runs a hell of a lot better with the new plugs.  I had a 13 year Ford tech help me out (friend of a friend) because of the blow-out issue I wanted to make sure it was done right.

He did mention in conversation that a GOOD tech can get the two piece plugs out of the 3 valve modular engines without breaking them.  They get the motor very hot, and then use an impact wrench on a low torque setting.  This has been discussed on some of the flat rate tech forums as well.  Fuck a $3k plug change.  He said the shop he worked at just added 1/2hr to the book time for plugs and called it a day, if none broke you got some extra time.  If they all broke you lost, but that was rare.

As for power adders...  There's a supercharger kit for it that adds about 100hp.  That's about it.  All of the easy stuff, tuner, intake, cat-back, etc, only adds 5-10hp.  Not worth it.

My power steering pump is dying.  My alternator went out a year or so ago.  Other than that, my truck has treated me real well.  Valve covers are leaking, so I'll need to do gaskets on them sooner or later.

-Jay
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I had same year F150 drove the shit outa it, little gutless but no problems
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#11]
In the rust belt a lot of those have leaky headers from the studs rusting off; I can hear them and guess its a ford before seeing it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]
For gas motors, Chevy 5.3> Ford 5.4

This thread will go places. I can feel it!

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]
They are good motors.
The 2 Valve are betetr than the 3 valve.

If You own a 3 Valve change your oil every 3-4k miles not the reccomended 5-7,500
The cam Phazers will sludge very fast and the lifers will lock up, it is cheap insurance.
The repair is 1/3 the cost of a new engine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
No issues with my 2003 4x4, I do a lot of towing with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For gas motors, Chevy> Ford

Fixed it for you and we are off.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
For gas motors, Chevy> Ford

Fixed it for you and we are off.

Thanks! But C FTW.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#17]
2001 F150, At 110000 blew a sparkplug. 900 for new plugs. Still best truck I have ownd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top