BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 54
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will order spare antennas this week for the hand set. They are pretty cheap. Read how easy it is to break them. I might get a multi-pack. Cant remember if that was on Amazon or Ebay.
View Quote

Lemme recommend a decent, affordable "full-figured" antenna for your radio - Also available as part of a nifty antenna combo package from Fo Time!.
View Quote

Thanks for the recomendation.

2nd link leads to "Set up your own amazon store" page.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy to break the antenna? First I've heard of it.  But if you're looking for a new antenna don't buy cheap replacements get something like this

They perform much better than the dinky whips on the 5Rs and 8Fs

Junk their CD (chicom malware) use CHIRP.

Get the AAA battery pack if you want one to fit in your Plano box.  The AA is better built \longer lasting; but the triple A version is the same size as the rechargeable.
View Quote

Thanks.
Great. I can scratch my back with that.

Already ordered two AAA packs with 12 AAA batteries. Those will be In by Dec 4.

Your Antenna is 15.6 inches long with a green storage sleeve for $17 free shipping and Skybanes is 14.5 inches $12 plus $2 shipping.

I'll take the longer back scratcher with the reusable green condom for $17

Its longer than my 4" thingy
BTW.

We open up the Burnt/melted unit  The radio is toast. Everything pretty much toast.
NH_AR_Shooter has some great pictures, Nobody is putting a battery on that radio case. The left hand side is melted and warped really bad. The contact plating on the charger have melted and on the radio are flaking off. Screws are corroded. Anything plastic is scrap. The antenna is also scrap. Ashes were everywhere after opening it up.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:55:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Am heading out offshore sailing in about a year, what kind of range will one of these get me?  Is this what I need to be looking for?  Thanks!
View Quote

I think they are 25 to 30 miles depending on the terrain. They are only 4 watts.

For sailing get a good  marine radio 75 watts or higher. Some are Bluetooth compatible. These are flush/dash mounted.

Also get a good quality marine rated antenna and cable. Dont be cheap. Cheap gets you corrosion and a dead radio.

My friend had a backup battery that was always charged by a solar panel. He had a switch for the radio from main power to backup. Kind of sucks when the main battery dies and you cant use the radio.
He sold the fishing boat. It was a great selling feature.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NH_AR_Shooter:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NH_AR_Shooter:
Quoted:

<Snip>
Should have IM you

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will order spare antennas this week for the hand set. They are pretty cheap. Read how easy it is to break them. I might get a multi-pack. Cant remember if that was on Amazon or Ebay.

Lemme recommend a decent, affordable "full-figured" antenna for your radio - Also available as part of a nifty antenna combo package from Fo Time!.

ETA.

Just notice the 2nd deal.

Good thing I didnt order yet.

Thanks Skybane

ETA

Ordered

Read the reviews

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
So this thread is still kicking around...

Even if you're not interested in HAM, one of these things with the car charger kit and USB programming cable makes for a pretty nice weather radio; you can program in the weather channels so that it's incapable of transmitting on them, i.e., listen only.

I have a few set up in small surplus hard cases for my vehicles for just that purpose.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Question for you guys, would you recommend the UV-B6 over the B5? I'm looking at buying my first radio, I was perusing amazon after seeing the recommendation for the UV-B5 in this thread. Reading some of the amazon reviews leads me to believe the B5 is probably the better of the two.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my ticket on a whim along with ASG about 4 years ago.

I have yet to excite a single electron with it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Great, but don't forget to order a dummy AAA battery (for some reason the AAA adapters don't seem to come with it, the AA adapters do).

You can only use 5 AAA Alkalines with these radios - using 6 and you won't be able to transmit, so the 6th battery should be a dummy battery.

Why then does it have spaces for 6 batteries?  Because if you're using rechargeable batteries you'll need the 6th battery to get the voltage up to spec.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already ordered two AAA packs with 12 AAA batteries. Those will be In by Dec 4.

Great, but don't forget to order a dummy AAA battery (for some reason the AAA adapters don't seem to come with it, the AA adapters do).

You can only use 5 AAA Alkalines with these radios - using 6 and you won't be able to transmit, so the 6th battery should be a dummy battery.

Why then does it have spaces for 6 batteries?  Because if you're using rechargeable batteries you'll need the 6th battery to get the voltage up to spec.

I ordered 12 rechargeable AAA.
Bt it would be a good idea in case I need to use alkaline. Another item for the accessory box.

ETA.

The Car Battery Adapter Eliminator came in today.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey guys, can these radios broadcast on the CB channels?

I'm going into the evergaldes in a week and i want to buy an inexpensive radio. what kind of reach and whom should i contact in the event of an emergency?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm going into the evergaldes in a week and i want to buy an inexpensive radio. what kind of reach and whom should i contact in the event of an emergency?
View Quote

Nope.  CB is the 26-26Mhz range, the little Baofengs start in the 130Mhz range.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

should i got CB or HAM?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Easy to break the antenna? First I've heard of it.  But if you're looking for a new antenna don't buy cheap replacements get something like this

They perform much better than the dinky whips on the 5Rs and 8Fs

Junk their CD (chicom malware) use CHIRP.

Get the AAA battery pack if you want one to fit in your Plano box.  The AA is better built \longer lasting; but the triple A version is the same size as the rechargeable.
View Quote

Here is the hotlink to CHIRP
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Do they have documentation for the software?
PDF?
ReadMe file?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
should i got CB or HAM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

should i got CB or HAM?

Ham is hard to beat.  There are a ton of resources listed in this thread.  I used the Ham Whisperer and I have to say if you have a little background in electronics it is dead simple.  

http://www.hamwhisperer.com/

You mentioned needing it within a week.  If would make a handy weather radio until them.  Transmitting would be illegal until you got your ticket, but, ahem, IIRC in an emergency situation that is overlooked.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

should i got CB or HAM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

should i got CB or HAM?

In a week?  Get FRS radios from Walmart.

Get some ham radios for your next trip after you and your pals get your licenses.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Woot.

The antennas came in today.

Oops. The long antenna is too long for the storage box.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
should i got CB or HAM?
View Quote

Are you a licensed amateur radio operator?

Deciding if you should take up amateur radio is a bit beyond the scope of "which of these two radios should I buy".
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#22]
We have been playing with the radios to make sure they work.

NH_A is about 1-1/2 miles away with lots of building in between.

At first we were betting interference. NH_A was reporting sub woofer hum.

I switch over to the new longest antenna and finally received him
Please note that was from the insides of both structures. No problems using outside.

The small retainer ring on the antenna mount on my radio fell off when switching out the antennas.

If you own any of these radios please check them out.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Question for you guys, would you recommend the UV-B6 over the B5? I'm looking at buying my first radio, I was perusing amazon after seeing the recommendation for the UV-B5 in this thread. Reading some of the amazon reviews leads me to believe the B5 is probably the better of the two.
View Quote

I haven't usefully compared output and receive strength, but I have a UV-5R and a B6 and I prefer the feel and use of the 5R.  It's generally cheaper and there's a ton of easy to find accessories for it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I haven't usefully compared output and receive strength, but I have a UV-5R and a B6 and I prefer the feel and use of the 5R.  It's generally cheaper and there's a ton of easy to find accessories for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://baofengtech.com/compare

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://baofengtech.com/images/CompareChart.jpg

That's a comparison fail - Doesn't even mention the B5 or B6.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
2nd email today

Must get really hot in a shipping container. BS. Again all othe packaging wad not even damaged.

Must be one of those cases of Spontaneous Radio Battery Combustion. That is the only plausible answer. That is why it was isolated to one box.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
2nd email today

Hi Win_88,

I represent Foscam's Amazon management team, and am personally responding to your case because we take what happened very seriously. I completely understand that you are angry, and if this had happened to me then I would be angry too. You are fully in the right to be upset that the unit was shipped late to you, and for that there is no excuse. The unit exploding is something that has never happened before, and I researched this with the shipping and Baofeng support teams. The shipping team does not send product boxes with significant creases in the cardboard to customers, and I believe them when they say that there is no way that they sent a box with visible heat warping or detectable odors. The Baofeng support technician explained to me that the batteries have a maximum temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit. The explosion of the battery would have been mostly contained by the product packaging, which is a safety standard that is common. Because the batteries can explode very rarely, the packaging would be too much of a liability if it enabled the heat to easily escape and damage other inventory in storage. In this particular case, we therefore believe that the battery exploded during transit to you, probably inside of FedEx's trucking container. I am truly sorry that you had the bad luck of this happening on top of the late shipment, which was our fault. We would like to send you a replacement unit with expedited shipping if that is acceptable for you. Please let us know.

Must get really hot in a shipping container. BS. Again all othe packaging wad not even damaged.

Must be one of those cases of Spontaneous Radio Battery Combustion. That is the only plausible answer. That is why it was isolated to one box.

It's more likely it exploded on the airplane on the way over from China.  LiPO batteries don't tolerate the temperature and pressure changes very well.  Remember the Boeing 787 fires?  Batteries.  This is why I take my laptop battery out of the computer, and bring it on my carry on when I fly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It's more likely it exploded on the airplane on the way over from China.  LiPO batteries don't tolerate the temperature and pressure changes very well.  Remember the Boeing 787 fires?  Batteries.  This is why I take my laptop battery out of the computer, and bring it on my carry on when I fly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2nd email today

Hi Win_88,

I represent Foscam's Amazon management team, and am personally responding to your case because we take what happened very seriously. I completely understand that you are angry, and if this had happened to me then I would be angry too. You are fully in the right to be upset that the unit was shipped late to you, and for that there is no excuse. The unit exploding is something that has never happened before, and I researched this with the shipping and Baofeng support teams. The shipping team does not send product boxes with significant creases in the cardboard to customers, and I believe them when they say that there is no way that they sent a box with visible heat warping or detectable odors. The Baofeng support technician explained to me that the batteries have a maximum temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit. The explosion of the battery would have been mostly contained by the product packaging, which is a safety standard that is common. Because the batteries can explode very rarely, the packaging would be too much of a liability if it enabled the heat to easily escape and damage other inventory in storage. In this particular case, we therefore believe that the battery exploded during transit to you, probably inside of FedEx's trucking container. I am truly sorry that you had the bad luck of this happening on top of the late shipment, which was our fault. We would like to send you a replacement unit with expedited shipping if that is acceptable for you. Please let us know.

Came from Texas distributor by ground freight and not by plane. The distributor more likely got it by shipping container on a slow boat from China.

Look. If the temperatures inside a tractor trailer gets to 140 degrees in October then AlGores global warming claims are true. But then I think AlGore is a lieing piece of shit.

Lithium Ion batteries are known for having shorting issues without a higher temperature. This is a big issues with cellphone batteries. Also some issues with some Bluetooth ear pieces. Car Charging is usually involved.

This looked like the batteries exploded to a oven temperature equal to broil. Had it not been for the oxygen in the box being limited the damage would have gone beyond the packaging.

Like I said. All packaging in the shipping box were not damaged. The box for the radio that was destroyed shows a discoloration in it. The picture shows that the plastic inside the radio box was fused to the box. Bubble pack on the outside of the box would have had damage to it , but it didn't.

Here is a newer picture of the damage. The temperatures was hot enough to de-laminate the coating on the chargers plug and connector. It doesnt work.

I did get a spare lanyard and clip out of it. Note the heat damage on the clip.

The radio is saved for stripping spare parts off it. I tried the radio by jumping power to the contacts, but it has power issues and shuts off. Dont know the extent of the heat damage in the area below the microphone jack. I will take it apart later this week too see if it is something simple to fix. It shuts off faster by when pressing or flexing the damaged area. Please note the heat damage to the screw in that corner. It is completely corroded.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#29]
BTW.

We did a distance test with the good radios. It was roughly 3 miles away.

Mine got interference while inside the truck but worked fine outside the truck. We were using the longest antennas. We are having a long distance issue with the small antenna that came with one of the radios or both. The mid length one worked fine yesterday. I did not try it today.

The external mobile antenna will be in around the 24th. Only then will I try it while moving.

We did get a lot of background interference from someone else. We will have to find a frequency that not pre programmed like everyone else radios.

We were using the pre programmed chan 21 at 155.700 MH that you see when the radios are activated.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
BTW.

Mine got interference while inside the truck but worked fine outside the truck. We were using the longest antennas. We are having a long distance issue with the small antenna that came with one of the radios or both. The mid length one worked fine yesterday. I did not try it today.

The external mobile antenna will be in around the 24th. Only then will I try it while moving.

We did get a lot of background interference from someone else. We will have to find a frequency that not pre programmed like everyone else radios.

We were using the pre programmed chan 21 at 155.700 MH that you see when the radios are activated.
View Quote

Um...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Um...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW.

Um...

Using those frequencies is a really bad idea.

If you can't program in frequencies or don't know how to find suitable frequencies for your use, these (and any similar) radios are not for you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If you can't program in frequencies or don't know how to find suitable frequencies for your use, these (and any similar) radios are not for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW.

Um...

We were trying them of the shelf with the preset frequency to see if the the radios actually work while they are still in warranty.

We paid good money for them and with all the problems I had getting them shipped to me with one that had to be replaced because it was junk from the sellers warehouse. Would you not try them ou,t or would you wait until it was out of warranty then find out that they are bad?

As it is. One of them may have a bad antenna that came with the radio. It works fine with the longer antennas. I need to go to Scotts house and try them out from one radio to the other to verify. The two new antennas are a lot tougher than the little rubber ones. It may also be my radio that keeps losing the small retainer ring for the antenna mount. I need the right size flange tool/spanner wrench to tighten it up.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

We were trying them of the shelf with the preset frequency to see if the the radios actually work while they are still in warranty.

We paid good money for them and with all the problems I had getting them shipped to me with one that had to be replaced because it was junk from the sellers warehouse. Would you not try them ou,t or would you wait until it was out of warranty then find out that they are bad?

As it is. One of them may have a bad antenna that came with the radio. It works fine with the longer antennas. I need to go to Scotts house and try them out from one radio to the other to verify. The two new antennas are a lot tougher than the little rubber ones. It may also be my radio that keeps losing the small retainer ring for the antenna mount. I need the right size flange tool/spanner wrench to tighten it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW.

Um...

Innocent bystander here who is not trying to get in the middle of this poo flinging contest that this thread has (for some reason) become.

The "issue" he mentioned isn't you trying out the radio, the issue is the frequency you used.  Do you have the proper license to transmit on that frequency?

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your warranty details are not really pertinent to questions of legality.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Oops. Just google the frequency.

Why the fuck do they have that pre-programmed in the radio when it turns on?

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dunno man, they're even like that on the real cheap ones without a front panel to program 'em.  Aint right, but for the price it's just part of the fun.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They are UHF/VHF - so basically line of site (about 3 miles if you're using the antenna on the radio - and the other station is as well.).  Put the antenna up on the top of the mast and you'll get quite a bit more range.

But they are not marine certified radios (though they can cover the marine bands).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am heading out offshore sailing in about a year, what kind of range will one of these get me?  Is this what I need to be looking for?  Thanks!

They are UHF/VHF - so basically line of site (about 3 miles if you're using the antenna on the radio - and the other station is as well.).  Put the antenna up on the top of the mast and you'll get quite a bit more range.

But they are not marine certified radios (though they can cover the marine bands).

If you are going seriously offshore, you need a Marine HF SSB radio, VHF ain't gonna cut it.

Something like this.  

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/icom-m802-2582.html
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are preprogrammed in a programming-required radio are generally factory test frequencies that are used in QC and alignment procedures.  They don't necessarily have any resemblance to actual communications usage, or if they did, the usefulness or legality of those frequencies in the USA.

It just takes a minute or two to automatically set up MURS or GMRS frequencies using the Chirp software.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What are preprogrammed in a programming-required radio are generally factory test frequencies that are used in QC and alignment procedures.  They don't necessarily have any resemblance to actual communications usage, or if they did, the usefulness or legality of those frequencies in the USA.

It just takes a minute or two to automatically set up MURS or GMRS frequencies using the Chirp software.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the range down in GMRS territory?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if you really want to get into it, MURS and GMRS radios need to be FCC type 95 certified.  The Baofeng radios under discussion are not.

I don't know how they could tell the difference without examining the radio, but the law is what it is.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

But if you really want to get into it, MURS and GMRS radios need to be FCC type 95 certified.  The Baofeng radios under discussion are not.

I don't know how they could tell the difference without examining the radio, but the law is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the process of researching the above for my Baofeng UV5R transceiver..

Part 95 info
http://wb7tjd.org/wiki/FRS,_GMRS_and_MURS_%28Radio_Services_under_FCC_Part_95_Rules%29

Part 95 PDF
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/presentations/files/oct05/Personal_Radio_Overview_AL.pdf

BaoFeng UV5R is Part 90 Type Certified

Take the BaoFeng handheld as an example.  The UV5R is type certified for Part 90 Land Mobile Service.  It cannot be type-certified (previously known as "type accepted") for Part 95 because the FCC has set a different standard for radios made for these services.

Private Land Mobile Radio Services
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=private_land_radio

Part 90 PDF
http://wireless.fcc.gov/feesforms/feeguide/services/landmobile.pdf

ETA
I have a lot of reading to do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Unless i hit a wrong button my uv-5ra is starting to break down.   It won't scan any frequencies or saved channels.  None of the blue secondary functions will work, except lock.  Now i have to decide if i should buy another one or try something else.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://baofengtech.com/images/CompareChart.jpg

Of all of the iterations of this radio on Amazon for $30-40 what is THE ONE to have??
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#44]
So I'm fairly certain my in laws are getting me a GT-3 MK II for Christmas.  I know I'm going to need a cable to plug into the computer with and Chirp software.  Anything else you guys would consider essential for it?

Going to start researching getting my license here soon.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So I'm fairly certain my in laws are getting me a GT-3 MK II for Christmas.  I know I'm going to need a cable to plug into the computer with and Chirp software.  Anything else you guys would consider essential for it?

Going to start researching getting my license here soon.
View Quote

I have recently gotten myself the A52 which "looks" similar.  Had to buy from China to get a spare battery (one is none).  Better antennae, Spare Battery, Shoulder (Speaker) Mic, RED Wouxun (or Good Programming cable), External Antenna for use in mobile, etc...

Listen to the Arf-centric Ham Radio Podcast!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Got the 2- large (6-AA batteries) battery packs in over the weekend. It needed the the inside trimmed of flashing and the battery cavity also trimmed to properly fit the batteries inside so the pack could snap closed. Now I have to trim the battery pack tab that locks it on the radio. It will not release rom the radio. looks like the tab is too thick.

Yep. it was a bad antenna that came with the radio. The 4 new standard ones came in on Monday and they test out fine.

What I dont like about the new AAA and AA battery packs is that no charger is available for them so you have to take the batteries out and charge them on a separate charger.. Ill have to make an adapter for them
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#47]
So I kind of want to jump on this ham wagon (badda bing!) does anyone here have experience with the Baofeng UV-82 and or UV-82X? These ones here:

Baofeng UV-82

Baofeng UV-82X

I was thinking about getting one of each. Also, since I'm OCONUS it looks like I will have to jump through some extra hoops after I get my license in the states. I found this info:

Colombia (HJ-HK)
The United States holds a reciprocal and a third-party traffic agreement with Colombia. The application procedure has a number of crucial steps which may cause some difficulty. The radio society will be happy to assist you with your application.

Liga Colobiana de Radioaficionados (LCRA)

The requirements include the following:

The application must be presented in Spanish at least 60 days prior to the date on which operation is expected to begin.
A photocopy of the original license.
Number and expiration date of a valid passport.
Three photographs, passport size.
As these requirements are subject to change, prospective applicants are urged to contact LCRA well in advance of the planned operation to learn the latest procedures.

All amateur bands available in the U.S. are also available in Colombia. There are no phone bands enforced by the government, but phone operators avoid using the bottom 100 kHz of the HF bands (40kHz on 40 meters) by gentleman's agreement in order to leave these portions clear for CW. The power limit is 2000 watts PEP.
View Quote

Can't ever be easy. You don't even want to know the hoops you have to jump through to buy a gun legally down here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Also, I was thinking about buying a pair of communications headsets (like this) for use while riding 2 up with the chain and ball. Could I not use the the ham radios in simplex mode to achieve the same thing? (at a much lower cost, plus much more functionality to boot!) With an earpiece and a lapel mic or something? Or am I talking bollocks now?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Also, I was thinking about buying a pair of communications headsets (like this) for use while riding 2 up with the chain and ball. Could I not use the the ham radios in simplex mode to achieve the same thing? (at a much lower cost, plus much more functionality to boot!) With an earpiece and a lapel mic or something? Or am I talking bollocks now?
View Quote

I have no experience with the -82 series but I've got a few of the lower grade ones.  Each has come with a crappy but workable earpiece with lapel mic.  The mic has a PTT button or the radio supports a voice activated mode.  I haven't tried the voice activation, seems like it could be a little sloppy.

I'd be real surprised if they didn't toss that in the box on the -82.

For that use though, I'd look at the BF-888.  You'd get two for less than an -82 I bet.  They come with the earpiece.  You just program 'em up the same.

I don't know what your regulations will look like down there, up here we can't use the halfass scrambler feature, maybe you could there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#50]
OHHH.  NIce!
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top