Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/25/2013 7:08:18 AM EDT
The main thing I need to hit are my kitchen blades....like 16 pieces ranging from a cleaver, to butcher knife, to steak knives {serrated}
As well as an old USAF blade and my work/folder blade

Is a good 'ol 6" stone the way to go? Don't want to spend a lot of $$   Maybe within the $50 range and a little bit of elbow grease
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The popular answer always seems to be the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]
lansky

I have one of these.  Works great on just about anything.

ETA - some of them come with a stone to hit serrations too.  There are several different kits available.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I too would like to know more about this subject.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Aaaand TAG.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As would i
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
tag for learning opportunity...

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As would i

spyderco sharpmaker is a good and easy to use sharpener. i use it sometimes.

for more serious work i use wicked edge

go to some of the knife forums and look at demos on youtube before you buy.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#9]
In for the really expensive one that looks like it would work great. I was thinking yesterday that I really need one of those.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In for the really expensive one that looks like it would work great. I was thinking yesterday that I really need one of those.

That would be the edge pro apex 2.

Very pricy, but easy to achieve excellent edges.

-Parke1
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Sharpmaker is good, but not suited to big jobs, IMO. The stones have little surface area and clog up easily. I use Spyderco bench stones, supplemented by a DMT extra coarse for taking out deeper nicks and dings.

Any decent bench stone will work (except for serrations, of course.)
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be the edge pro apex 2.

Very pricy, but easy to achieve excellent edges.

-Parke1

That's the one. It looks like this thread will make me look at that Wicked edge one too though.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#13]
There was a thread on the forum last year on the various sharpening systems.  I've owned a Lansky and a Smith setup for years, and when used properly they are great. However, some folks just can't get the hang of using them.  (i.e., my wife).

After reading many comments I purchased a WorkSharp ( the electric with the mini sanding-type belts.).  This really works great for re-setting the edge on older abused blades, kitchen knives, etc.  There are coarse belts for sharpening tools, axes, etc.  And I have ressurrected dozens of my wife's old scissors that she had thought beyond salvaging.

I still use the Lansky for my higher-end knives, I can see that excessive use of the WorkSharp will eventually remove a lot of material from the blade, but for honing kitchen knives and putting a quick hair-shaving edge on skinning knives, etc, it works great.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I use an edge pro for all my sharpening needs. It's significantly more expensive, but I've got more than one knife that is literally hair popping sharp.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I suck at keeping the right angle on a stone. Hell, I can fuck up a Lansky.

What I've found that works very well for me is Work Sharp. Does a great job for me every time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Try a ceramic stick sharpener.  Spyderco and Lansky both made a model.  Check out A. G. Russel.  I had a lansky but just touching up a blade was over complicated with the clamping, etc.  A.G. Russel makes field size and a full size.

http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-ceramic-sharpener/p/CS94/

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I LOVE my lansky kits.....
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to go against the usual advice here--if you just want something to do kitchen knives with, use the Vulkanus sharpener:

http://www.vulkanus-company.com/index_e.htm

It's available at Amazon.  Do a search, there are videos, reviews and such out there.  I liked mine so much I gave the Vulkanus as Xmas presents a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#19]
well...i just left local hardware store a ended up with a good 'ol fashion 6' stone & oil.....
will report back in a bit

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I run a knife store and teach people how to sharpen knives, use a sharpmaker. It does a slight convex edge that makes it stronger and reduces friction making a sharper knife. The lansky workes with the pythagorean theorem so you never truly get the correct angle. Apply only the weight of the blade while sharpening and pic the correct edge to finish off with, a slicing knife is sharper with a keen or butchers edge then a highly polished edge. If anyone wants lessons on correct sharpening IM me
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

well...i just left local hardware store a ended up with a good 'ol fashion 6' stone & oil.....

will report back in a bit

bad choice
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Wicked Edge user here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a very course two sided stone for the really heavy cutting. Then it goes on the sharpmaker. Works great pocket knives. I've put my kitchen steak knives through the same process. I was surprised to find how much time they needed on the course stones to re-profile before they were ready for the Sharpmaker. But the ruff stone plus the SM did the trick.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm going to go against the usual advice here--if you just want something to do kitchen knives with, use the Vulkanus sharpener:

It's available at Amazon.  Do a search, there are videos, reviews and such out there.  I liked mine so much I gave the Vulkanus as Xmas presents a couple of years ago.

Heh heh, you said anus, heh heh.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What I've found that works very well for me is Work Sharp. Does a great job for me every time.

I've found that including a Sharpie (bad pun) marker into the chore makes things easier to understand . Ink your edge and make a few passes on the stone and it's easy to see if you're high , low or on the money .

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The popular answer always seems to be the Spyderco Sharpmaker.  

Works great.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sharpmaker is good, but not suited to big jobs, IMO. The stones have little surface area and clog up easily. I use Spyderco bench stones, supplemented by a DMT extra coarse for taking out deeper nicks and dings.

Any decent bench stone will work (except for serrations, of course.)

This is also good advice.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Edge pro or Lansky with diamond stones.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#29]
how does this work?

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#30]
My sharpener.  All others are not worthy of being in the same class as a Tormek.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#31]
My grandfather tough me there's only two things you need to sharpen a knife. A whetstone and some spit. If you really want a nice edge, add in a leather strop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Second for Lansky system.  It's fairly idiot proof because it include a jig to get the correct angle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It will put an edge on a blade, that's about it.

isn't sharp edge what we want? i haven't tried it but think this might be easy way to sharpen a knife?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will put an edge on a blade, that's about it.

isn't sharp edge what we want? i haven't tried it but think this might be easy way to sharpen a knife?

I've used them for years for a quick touch up on a blade, and they're excellent for that. If you want to reprofile an edge, or get that hair shaving edge, go with one of the other systems mentioned.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I will second the WorkSharp Knife and Tool Sharpener - shaving sharp results on all of my kitchen knives...

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Watched a Wicked Edge review online lol:

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I love my wicked edge.  Using leather strops with diamond paste I am pretty sure you can do surgery when you are done.  And you can get it done fast.  I own a diamond lansky kit also.  I like it and is good.  You won't go wrong with a lansky.  I think the Wicked Edge is a step up but it is $$$$$.  You get what you pay for.  Lansky is bang for buck.

Edit: There is no one stone system if you truly want to put a fine edge on your knife.  You can get a two sided stone and keep your knife sharp.  There is a lot more work involved and eventually reprofiling comes into.  If one stone works for you I am not knocking it but a multistone kit brings a lot more to the table in sharpening.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

As would i

spyderco sharpmaker is a good and easy to use sharpener. i use it sometimes.
for more serious work i use wicked edge
go to some of the knife forums and look at demos on youtube before you buy.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Second for Lansky system.  It's fairly idiot proof because it include a jig to get the correct angle.

"Engineering Fixture".
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Here is some good information. I suggest reading through it. I stayed with my Lansky after reading this, but I changed the way I used it.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I have an Edge Pro Apex. It's a solid machine and dummy proof, but there are some nuances to using it that come with experience. You have to practice, and it works better with better gear like aftermarket Japanese waterstones. It can be slightly frustrating with you are getting sharp, but not very sharp edges right off the bat. Having a strop makes life a lot easier as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a Tormeck T7, about $700 with some jigs. Best sharpener ever made.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Cinderblock and some cardboard. The burr is your friend. All the gadgets/jigs/grinders in the world won't help u get a knife sharp if you don't understand the basics of sharpening.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I LOVE my lansky kits.....

This

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh heh, you said anus, heh heh.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've found that including a Sharpie (bad pun) marker into the chore makes things easier to understand . Ink your edge and make a few passes on the stone and it's easy to see if you're high , low or on the money .

This.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I have the Lansky system and various other files, rods, whetstones and diamond stones.  I can do a pretty good job with the Lansky.  But I get the best edge from the guy my neighbor hires once a month to sharpen all his scissors (he does custom upholstery work).  $3 a blade and it's always perfect... that's hard to beat.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll third the Work Sharp belt sharpener.  Once I use it, I just occasionally use the spyderco triangle ceramics to bring the edge back to hair popping sharp.  I got better things to do then rub a knife on a rock for hours!

The triangle spyderco is about the only thing that will kind of work on a serrated edge knife.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Rub a rock against it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought this from Costco for $50 and it is wonderful!  I gave up, I can't sharpen knives.  I bought a machine for my kitchen knives, and it works.

My knives are always sharp, takes like 1-2 minutes to sharpen one and it's easy, requires no skill.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top