Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 5/6/2013 4:34:42 AM EDT
Canning shut down west of Mississippi by June 27

Millions of persons have benefited from the canning services offered at the LDS Canneries all over the U.S. as the LDS Church does not require that a person be a member of their church to participate in the bulk purchasing, but this shut down will inevitably make things more challenging for those who are trying to acquire quality food essentials at affordable prices. Unfortunately, the LDS Church (corporation) has enabled the wolf at the door to have the full run of the house in matters such as these.  Personal interviews unveiled numerous accounts of supervisors of the canneries feeling badgered and even harassed by the USDA and the FDA. At one point the LDS Church was told that they had to stop canning their homegrown peaches because they were told by the government entity inspecting them that “they were too juicy.” Yup—“too juicy”. How about that for a lame excuse? As a result, the LDS Church began drying some of their produce so that they could still provide such yummy, nutritional produce. (Their dried apples are divine.)

ETA - title fixt
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Just another example of statists exhibiting incremental control over the food supply. The way I look at it, as long as no one is being deliberately poisoned or sickened from LDS food, the bureaucrats should just fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]

In before someone says Mormons dont have the right to can and seperation from church and state or some other nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you want to be in the buisness of food production then you have to get certified to do so.

What if my friends and I want to get together, and prepare food for ourselves? .Gov has no business intruding on such an activity. I've never been to an LDS cannery, but isn't that basically the arrangement?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want to be in the buisness of food production then you have to get certified to do so.

Why?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shut down all those charity bake sales too. Certify everything.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where exactly does the federal government derive such authority?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Because the state says so.

Now excuse me while I go tell my neighbor that he cant change his own oil without a business license and an ASE certificate.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to be in the business of food production then you have to get certified to do so.

lol  yes that is what this is all about.  Preparing your own food, yes it should be certified and regulated by the .go you have obviously gone to a canning facility before.  

For decades the LDS church has helped people willing to work at self sufficiency can and dry pack their OWN food.  Its not for wholesale commercial use, its not for profit.  Its intended for personnel use and if I want to pack my own food I don't need USDA or anyone else telling me how to do it the "right" way.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bama your sig line says  --"You do your thing. I'll do mine"

This attitude is contrary to that idea, No?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Because if you can do things on your own, what is the government needed for?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want to be in the business of food production then you have to get certified to do so.

Yes, submit to the state, even when you are canning your own food, its for the children.

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:06:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If people are canning and preserving their own food (and not commercially selling it), then I don't see where this is any of the FedGov's business.

Seriously.

Sorta looks like they are selling canned goods, according to the link.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If people are canning and preserving their own food (and not commercially selling it), then I don't see where this is any of the FedGov's business.

Seriously.

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
>Where exactly does the federal government derive such authority?

Commerce Clause

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Must have missed that part when I read the Constitution.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well there goes any more 80% lower parties.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yea, no one is oppressing you citizen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bama your sig line says  --"You do your thing. I'll do mine"

This attitude is contrary to that idea, No?

Good call Bro!
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Too much fail for a Monday morning.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why? I don't see how that is any of the government's business.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Seriously.

But if you pay those worthless bastards in Government enough in free money (tax payoff) you can buy and sell alcohol and tobacco. And those are really good for you , Right?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

Sorta looks like they are selling canned goods, according to the link.

And? The market has an excellent means of driving out businesses who lack proper sanitation and storage practices. People get the poops or worse and stop buying their wares, they also tend to advertise *why* they stopped shopping there.

I do not need the .gov telling me what foods are safe, I have an immune system for that. I also have a mouth and a wallet and I'll use the former to explain to anyone who will stand still why I won't use the latter at a place that gave me the green apple quick step.

At some point adults need to make reasonably informed decisions on their own.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:14:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Commerce Clause

8nBAIT

Quite a stretch of the imagination to honestly say that a cannery has an impact on interstate commerce, unless of course you love the statist raping of the constitution that is Wickard v. Filburn
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#26]
All of you who are screaming that the LDS doesn't need a certificate or some such to sell "preppers" food from the LDS, I bet you will be the first to scream "where was the .gov food inspectors??!!??!!" if you get the shits or poisoned by the prepper foods due to an unsanitary condition.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Da comrade, DA!

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Seriously.

The problem is they are set up as a non profit. They use their kids to work the farms and grow their own food. They use this food at their facilities across the country for local Mormons to come and pick up some of this food at non profit prices. The Gov has stayed out of their business until recently when they started letting NON church members come and BUY some of the cheap food. This is where they got in trouble.

If the Church just went back to the members only policy, this wouldn't be a problem. I suspect they have decided there is more money to be made selling to preppers. So now they will just can everything at a central licensed facility and ship. They can simply mail food to their church members in the future.

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commerce Clause

8nBAIT

Quite a stretch of the imagination to honestly say that a cannery has an impact on interstate commerce, unless of course you love the statist raping of the constitution that is Wickard v. Filburn

Ever read the Raich decision? The USSC decided that the commerce clause even extends to the black market and that not selling illegal things on the black market affects interstate commerce because it deprives the black market in other states the opportunity to sell illegal things there.

How's THAT for a kick in the nuts?
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
All of you who are screaming that the LDS doesn't need a certificate or some such to sell "preppers" food from the LDS, I bet you will be the first to scream "where was the .gov food inspectors??!!??!!" if you get the shits or poisoned by the prepper foods due to an unsanitary condition.

ANNNNNDDDD NOOOOOOOPE

Not gonna happen, besides if you had ever been to a cannery you would see just how well they do in fact sanitize their facility.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#31]
a good number of those around here, never heard anything but good about them, i think anyone that isnt part of the FSA is targeted by the government, from small buisiness up. I am not LDS but this is total bullshit, i say tar and feather for all
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

The problem is they are set up as a non profit. They use their kids to work the farms and grow their own food. They use this food at their facilities across the country for local Mormons to come and pick up some of this food at non profit prices. The Gov has stayed at of their business until recently when they started letting NON church members come and BUY some of the cheap food. This is where they got in trouble.

If the Church just went back to the members only policy, this wouldn't be a problem. I suspect they have decided their is more money to be made selling to preppers. So now they will just can everything at a central licensed facility and ship. They can simply mail food to their church members in the future.

hey do not use their kids to work the fams.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:18:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're wrong, at least when it comes to me, personally. Your "all of you" brush is painting far outside the lines in this case.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I buy raw dairy from an unlicensed dairy farmer that sells it out of the back of his van.  Best milk I have ever drank in my life.  I make the choice to consume his product, and if it makes me sick it is nobody's fault by my own.

Just because a good portion of the adults in the U.S. are dependent on the government to 'protect' them doesn't make it right, nor does it mean that everybody is that stupid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

The problem is they are set up as a non profit. They use their kids to work the farms and grow their own food. They use this food at their facilities across the country for local Mormons to come and pick up some of this food at non profit prices. The Gov has stayed out of their business until recently when they started letting NON church members come and BUY some of the cheap food. This is where they got in trouble.

If the Church just went back to the members only policy, this wouldn't be a problem. I suspect they have decided there is more money to be made selling to preppers. So now they will just can everything at a central licensed facility and ship. They can simply mail food to their church members in the future.

For as far back as I can recall (let's call that 20 years or so) the LDS has AWAYS served non-LDS folks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commerce Clause

8nBAIT

Ever read the Raich decision? The USSC decided that the commerce clause even extends to the black market and that not selling illegal things on the black market affects interstate commerce because it deprives the black market in other states the opportunity to sell illegal things there.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.  I am looking for it now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#37]
It appears we now have a "quote bama" shitstorm.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Commerce Clause

8nBAIT

You have got to be fucking kidding me.  I am looking for it now.

California dope dispensary case Gonzales v. Raich
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Before we allowed the government to take control of our lives and ushered in welfare, neighbors, churches and social groups used to take care of each other and the needy.

America was a better place back then.

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Why is everything a war? War on drugs. War on crime. War on christians. War on muslims. War on canneries.

We use that word way too much
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It appears we now have a "quote bama" shitstorm.

Cuz it don't make sense.
I'm gonna print up some certificates and sell em to my neighbors or they gonna have to pull up dim dare toe mater plants.

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#42]

For those talking about the un sanitary conditions.

Go check out survival blogs, websites, food packing information.

Find me a story of people getting sick from LDS food distribution.

Cant?  I wonder why.

Now use your head.  Why would the .gov focus in on getting back at a church that does not go with the mainstream idea of  gay marriage, dependency on .gov, as well as a million other DEM ideas?

I wonder why.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

For as far back as I can recall (let's call that 20 years or so) the LDS has AWAYS served non-LDS folks.

Right. But things were much different before the internet. Y2K, 9/11, 2012, SouthPark, etc..... There is much more exposure on them now than ever before. The Congressional aides reading this thread never knew about the canneries until 2010-2011. This is just like Chuck seeing the plastic gun on Drudge and wanting a law passed within hours.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wow.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You will NEVER, EVER hear me clammer for ANY government inspector, helper, overseer, baby sitter or anything else the government does "for" us.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Respect; I just lost some.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Seriously.

Exactly. When one considers the fact that storing food is a basic tenant of the LDS church...this seems like just one more instance of .gov shitting on peoples religious freedoms.  

I guess they weren't happy just to mandate Catholic operated hospitals provide birth control to their adherents whose religion expressly forbids it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#48]
It's not prepping, it's Self Reliance they're after.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

For those talking about the un sanitary conditions.

Go check out survival blogs, websites, food packing information.

Find me a story of people getting sick from LDS food distribution.

Cant?  I wonder why.

Now use your head.  Why would the .gov focus in on getting back at a church that does not go with the mainstream idea of  gay marriage, dependency on .gov, as well as a million other DEM ideas?

I wonder why.

And? Every other cannery and food seller is required to be certified. Is it right? Maybe, maybe not, but giving the LDS special exemption isn't the way to do things.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No, I would be the last.  I take full responsibility for what I eat.  I do not need a nanny.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top